[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Niece graduated high school earlier this week >Family
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: 1440782542162.jpg (155 KB, 569x533) Image search: [Google]
1440782542162.jpg
155 KB, 569x533
>Niece graduated high school earlier this week
>Family get-together on Saturday
>Decide to go to try and improve myself
>Everyone's all happy and whatnot
>Can't gauge into conversations with Aunts, Uncles or Cousins as I have nothing to talk about other than shitty things happening at work
>Fall asleep from boredom
>30 minutes later sis wakes me up to get her 3DS out of the truck
>Get it out and hand it to her
>Stay in the truck for the next hour or so playing IA/VT
>Get to the staff credits
>Close the game up after saving and walk around the area for about half an hour
>Few of their neighbors looked at me before carrying on their own business
>Return back to their house
>They're barely starting to take pics of the niece with her family
>No one really noticed I was gone for the 2 hours
>Hour passes, everyone leaves
>Ma usually helps with clean up so we're last to leave
>Tell her about the disconnection on the ride home
>"There's really nothing to it. Just talk."
>Rest of the ride home was conversation with her usually go off on a tangent

How the hell do I do that with people I hardly ever see, or with anyone for that matter?
>>
>>28923255
I don't know if this board is the right place to ask that. Try asking your family members about their lives. People love to feel important. Ask about their job, what it is, do they like it, bullshit like that.
>>
>>28923255
This is actually difficult OP because small talk sucks. It starts out with the weather and can move in to other subjects like upcoming events, TV shows, video games, "The game", and just about anything else. I absolutely fucking hate small talk. It sucks so much damn dick, but you have to use it to talk about other things. Once you two connect on something you jump at it. Trust me, everybody fucking hates small talk.
>>
Why would you want to talk to them? Normalfags do the stupidest shit.
>>
Don't feel too bad, anon. Distant family is really a hit or miss deal. I rarely have anything interesting to talk about with my uncles or cousins cause they have vastly different interests from my own and I just don't really care about them too much. I wouldn't really think too much about it. Sometimes you just don't get along with people even if they're your relatives.
>>
>>28923255
you have to play the game when it comes to family and neighbors. They know you don't care and you know they don't care. It's like a weird ritual. Shift the focus onto them by asking basic questions, leave by saying that it was great to catch up, and always have a fake excuse in your back pocket in case it gets quiet or too awkward to continue.

You don't have to do it for people you'll never see again though which is nice at least.
>>
i know the feeling somewhat but only because my entire extended family are seemingly fucking drugged out burn outs who dont do anything else.

>go meet with them
>all they do is swap drug war stories
>ive never puffed a cigarette
>>
>>28923255
>>28923314
Try these talking points.

>Did you see "x game" (Can be sports, digital, or upcoming events.)
>Do you watch TV? (This is usually followed by an inquiry into TV shows
>How are (You, is work,is life, the kids) This is for extended family only. Or light acquaintances.
>Did you hear about "x"(This is in reference to current events. Including Sports, games and events(News))
>>
>>28923375
Also protip, the best way to engage someone you give no fucks about is to start an argument with them. Just pick a topic that's not totally controversial and argue about it for a while. If you're lucky that can engage you for over an hour and you get to work up another person along the way.
>>
I don't know if its obvious to people I try to talk to IRL, but when I do decide to talk to strangers in class I focus on asking questions or getting them to elaborate on anything at all they've said. Some people do it first and/or better back at me and get me to talk more instead, but typically that's how I keep a conversation going.

It seems to work fine, though I only bother talking to very few people in my college classes if anyone at all.

Even if I could not give less fucks I figure there's no reason to make that obvious so I try to get interested in what they're saying
>>
>>28923255

At least you didn't get criticized or anything.

I hitched a ride to my cousin's wedding (I can drive, but my aunt offered to pick me up). Before she took me back, she told my dad something like ,"gosh, anon isn't very talkative . . .sigh . . . I'm REALLY looking forward to the drive home with him!!!" I actually though I was sort of talkative buut it just didnt cut it I guess.

Another highlight was my dad just laughed when my aunt said Im next in line to get married (Im the next youngest cousin). Guess my dad is okl with me being a permavirgin or something. The jerk never gave me any relationship advice ever. Fucking asshole. It wasnt until I got to college that I learned a lot of guys get advice from their dads and stuff.
>>
>>28923439
You sound like the pissiest little failed normalfag and I love it.
>>
You have to feign interest in their lives if you don't already give a shit.

On occasion they'll tell you something that might legitimately peek real interest and you can work from there.

If not you have to work on your social maneuvering, ie politely rounding up the conversation and moving onto someone else or doing something else.
>>
>>28923464
>28 year old khv
>failed normie

At least I have a 40 year old cousin that's only had 1 gf his entire life. He acts pretty normie though.
>>
File: 1452217654052.jpg (27 KB, 468x376) Image search: [Google]
1452217654052.jpg
27 KB, 468x376
>>28923513
>normie
You make me physically sick and I hope your niece gets raped and killed by niggers.
>>
>>28923255
I'm gonna let you in on a secret, especially with women.
Ask the questions!
women will talk about themselfs and their jobs, family life, etc. for fucking ever.
just sound interested and when when it sounds like they are at a point they can elaborate on ask them, "how so?".
>>
>>28923534
I dont have a niece. MY brother is probably a KHV too
>>
>>28923284
Not necessarily asking for advice as it's more of rhetorical question. "Just Do It" doesn't exactly cut it for me either.

Their jobs are in customer service and they're pretty much in line with the same stories my mom told me through all her years of work. My job is in warehousing and I'm just moving freight around, nothing else really going on in there.

>>28923375
>They know you don't care and you know they don't care
Yet I come off with that Idc feel when ending the conversation with that talk leaving with an awkward silence until either I or the one I talk to leaves. Hate that feeling.
>>
>>28923691
>come off with that idc feeling
this is where body language comes in. Smile, maybe a small nod, to let them know what you're doing is intentional.

But yeah it's going to be hella awkward anyway. Don't worry too much about it, especially if they're distant family. They're not going to worry about the conversation they're having with you if they're there for your niece. Honestly this is why a lot of family get-togethers have plenty of alcohol on hand. To make these superfluous interactions flow better.
>>
>>28923768
Sadly can't drink because I'm the driver and the drive to their place is about an hour or so long. Don't need a DUI on my record anyway.

Will probably never engage in them again once I move out if I ever make any decent money to make a living.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.