[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have you ever thought about quitting technology r9k? Vidya, internet,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: 1420830336322.jpg (39 KB, 500x567) Image search: [Google]
1420830336322.jpg
39 KB, 500x567
Have you ever thought about quitting technology r9k? Vidya, internet, tv, the whole lot? My mom just came into my room and asked me how long I spend on the computer, and i realized I spend so much that I dont even know. Do you think you would be happier if you spent your time doing something else?
>>
>tfw no qt ectomorphic NEET cyberjunkie bf from the future

I almost remembered why I was alive, but then I forgot again.
>>
>>28919845
I don't have a computer or any consoles or a tv. Just my smartphone. I was never big on video games and tv always seemed boring. I surf 4chan on my phone when I am waiting on something or have a few moments where there's nothing else to do.

>Do you think you would be happier if you spent your time doing something else?
It honestly doesn't make much of a difference.
>>
>>28919845
You don't need to quit technology.

I think going """off the grid""" and quitting the internet would be enough. Get yourself some pre-6th-gen consoles, a PC running Windows XP, that sounds ideal to me but I lack the financial resources to make it a reality.
>>
>>28920066
Ive been thinking of ditching my smartphone for a flipphone just because of how easy it makes wasting time. I have no issue with having hobbies or anything but I feel like my life is just slowly being squandered one shitpost at a time.
>>
File: mylife.jpg (223 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
mylife.jpg
223 KB, 1600x1200
>>28919845

I've done this periodically in the past. It's been pretty good actually. I get a lot more rest, and tend read books a lot more, also toying with my piano and working in the garage, unfortunately with the latter two there's always these moments when I need to check things on the computer, it's such a handy information base it's hard to completely get rid of it, not to mention bills must be paid and reports sent in etc. Happier I can't recall I got but certainly less self aware and it felt more productive somehow.
>>
>>28920129
>and tend read books a lot more
Iktfb
I keep telling myself I'll stop going on the computer so much and just hang out at the library all day
>>
>>28920129
I might try to take a break then. I think part of it is how much of spent on vidya that makes me subconsciously feel like i need to play it to make it worth the money. Hopefully I can finally just let go.
>>
>>28919845

Yeah. It's crazy how all of the technology we've integrated into our daily lives has been accessible to ordinary people for such a short span of time.

I took a six-month trip hitchhiking around Iceland and then from London to Istanbul before flying to Dubai and India. Since I'd just gone through a breakup and didn't have anyone to be accountable to, I decided to ditch my smartphone and computer at home. I only took a camera and a couple pads of paper.I had an amazing time, met a lot of people, and boosted my confidence a lot, given that I had been awkward and shy before.

I even managed to learn some semi-valuable skills, like how to read and write Cyrillic. When I was in Serbia, I had my taxi driver write down a whole bunch of phrases for me. I still can remember almost all of them and am good enough at reading that particular alphabet that my Russian bosses and coworkers are impressed.

I really wish I could do away with technology at home. Websites like Facebook and 4chan are too time-consuming. If I could get a flip-phone with a signal at home and access to the internet only for schoolwork and watching movies and television shows, that'd be great.

Thankfully, I've gotten more hobbies that let me spend time in the real world. Just bought my first motorcycle. On top of that, I've been trying to go to new restaurants (alone) to expose myself to new cuisines. Might take up cooking, and I'm trying to get back into an outdoors-oriented lifestyle. My dad gave me a recurve bow and a fishing rod, so maybe I'll take a few trips this summer.
>>
File: tumblr_n8ty8gTg7I1rsdpaso1_400.gif (2 MB, 400x550) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n8ty8gTg7I1rsdpaso1_400.gif
2 MB, 400x550
I've thought about it

but the way I see it, the issue is not technology itself, it's that technology and other activities are usually mutually exclusive
If I wasn't tied to a physical interface I'd be much more productive

I guess what I'm saying is I want to be MORE plugged in. I want a brain direct interface. I want the Feed
>>
>>28920194
Thanks for sharing that anon. Gives me some encouragement to travel like ive been wanting to.

>>28920228
We're getting close with vr. That's a really cool gif btw.
>>
File: 1416284938326.jpg (36 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
1416284938326.jpg
36 KB, 499x499
>>28920228
what if that already happened?
what if that's what this is?!?!
>>
>>28920291
If we did it once we can do it again
We need to go deeper
>>
No. The internet provides far more stimulation and enjoyment than reality. I am on the internet literally 24 hours a day. Not just saying that. I'm on the internet even when I'm shitting, pissing, eating, whatever the fuck. I listen to the internet in my sleep. I live on the internet. Maybe if my days consisted of storm chasing, ghost hunting, forest exploration, space exploration and I had invisibility, flying or shapeshifting powers I might consider coming back to reality then.

BORN TOO EARLY TO EXPLORE SPACE
BORN TOO LATE TO EXPLORE THE EARTH
BORN JUST IN TIME TO BE A MISERABLE NEET
>>
>>28920285

Probably sounds meme-y, but you don't need to go overseas to travel.

I lived by myself in South Asia for a year and a half and have been to about thirty or forty countries since 2013. One takeaway I'm incredibly thankful for is that I've come to see my own state and surroundings in a new light. Even though I live in an economically depressed Rust Belt state with several of the most violent cities in the United States, I've started seeing beauty or at least interest in the same fields and roads I've grown up passing day in and day out.

Like I said, I've been trying to make an effort to go out to eat more often. Since I'm not rich and don't like spending money on things I don't care about, I've focused on hole-in-the-wall places with good reputations. Went to some Caribbean food truck in the ghetto the other day as well as a taco trailer and some dingy Burmese family restaurant.

Apologies for this post if you live somewhere truly fucked like an island somewhere.
>>
>>28919845
When I was cleaning my processor fan, I accidentally pulled it off with the thermal glue, so it overheats if I run anything more intensive than Stepmania.
Rather than buying a $4 tube of thermal glue, I just stopped vidya, and life has actually picked up a lot since.
>>
>>28920351
Nah I live in the states so im pretty spoiled in the grand scheme of things. Ive been thinking of just renting a car and driving across the us just to see where the wind takes me. I also might have the opportunity to take an internship in Singapore which is crazy enough that I might do it.
>>
>>28920391
I've been thinking of only letting myself play vidya and shitpost on sundays ir something but idk if I have the will power to keep myself to that
>>
>>28920398

Go for it. As long as you can afford to do an internship in Singapore and have no pressing obligations to attend, I'd definitely move on over and do what you can. The very worst that can happen is that you'll be bored.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.