[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Western cartoons or anime?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 15
File: the-loud-house-post.jpg (587 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
the-loud-house-post.jpg
587 KB, 960x540
Western cartoons or anime?
>>
>>28917549
If I want a good laugh and just want some funny shit to watch, Western cartoons. They get the job done for a quick laugh.

If I want to actually get invested in a story or given any semblance of a fuck about the characters or what they're doing, anime. Most anime tend to have running stories while very few Western cartoons have anything beyond plots of the day.
>>
File: trap.jpg (25 KB, 291x246) Image search: [Google]
trap.jpg
25 KB, 291x246
>>28917549
This is a transgender boy isn't it?
>>
>>28917549
Wasn't anime inspired by old Western cartoons or something? Anyways, I feel like anime is more fantastical and sometimes more fanservicey, and some animes focus on the fanservice too much and neglect story and/or creative use of the art form, but other than that, they both are alright. If the art form compliments the story and "mechanics" of the show, then it's fine, it's just an artistic choice after all. I dont get why Western artists do anime and eastern countries do western, what's stopping them? Why are the japs so focused on drawing in that art form, when the west seems to have anime and western artists?
tfw I don't watch much cartoons anyway so what do I know
>>
western cartoons since anime is fucking cancer
>>
I'm not a fan of anime

a lot of it looks very samey
>>
>>28917549
Both are equally shit now with a few exceptions. Late 90s to about 2006 were pretty based for both. For American cartoons there was Ren and Stimpy, Recess, Ed Edd n Eddy, Kids Next Door. At the same time there were more "adult" cartoons like beavis and butthead, family guy, and futurama. It was a pretty interesting era for american animation. This was also when anime started to get popular in the west with great shows like Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion, and Mobil suit.
>>
>>28917549
>watching western cartoons
>ever
just watch anime famalam the quality is much better is almost every aspect
>>
>>28917781
then you haven't watched enough anime lol
>>28917778
i am really intrested how far you can go with this delusion before you just reveal you hate anime because of the memes
>>
File: 1464520813161.png (1 MB, 1200x741) Image search: [Google]
1464520813161.png
1 MB, 1200x741
>>28917549

The choice is obvious. Western cartoons are second only to comics in pushing degenerate feminist agendas.
>>
>>28917909
In fact? I hate it because of the fanbase and the "memesters" who have the urge to put anime bullshit into every post.
Apart from this, I still like western cartoons more.
>>
>>28917909
>big hair
>big eyes
>some dumb concept revolving around either monster things, girls in high school, gaming, or fanservice

I'll pass
>>
>>28917962
then you don't hate the medium, you hate the fans (which is completely reasonable)
>>28917987
nice generalizations there. you do realize you only described about 1/3rd of anime right?
>>
File: 1463845160677.jpg (60 KB, 544x601) Image search: [Google]
1463845160677.jpg
60 KB, 544x601
>>28917549
Anime is infantile trash designed to appeal to mentally deficient autistic manchildren.
>>
>>28918038
I can't helo myself but write... FUCKING THIS!
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (62 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
62 KB, 1920x1080
>>28918059
>mfw i wrote helo instead of help
>>
>>28917747
old western cartoons =/= new western cartoons

anime is closer to classic disney movies than modern western cartoons are

>>28917958
niggers are even bigger weebs than white people. rest of the pic is right though
>>
>>28918038
HA. You are fucking retarded.
>>
>>28918080
Cool, how bad/good are Western cartoons?
Tbh anime triggers me for some reason and makes me more sad than usual, but I've heard that some are good, and some are just escapism wiafu fanservice, and some overplay tropes and such to where the "cute factor" is cringey and unoriginal or whatnot. I dunno, there seems to be more spam with anime, I wonder why thats a thing.
>>
>>28918188
>gets triggered that someone has a different opinion
Anime sure is fucking trash.
>>
>>28917549
Western all day. And it has more patrician waifus

>>28917958
>watching shit level western animation
It's your own fault
>>
>>28918207
You just have to find your niche because anime has something for everyone. There's just a lot of material in anime so you can pick and choose what you want to watch and keep up with airing stuff and watch what you like. Modern western cartoons are much more narrow in terms of appeal.
>>
>>28918256
>implying I'm triggered
ok sure bud
>>
>watching cartoons or anime
You have to be 18 or older to post here
>>
>>28918366
>denying yourself entire forms of media because you think you're "too old/cool for that
You're right, you do have to be 18 or older to post here, so get stepping
>>
>>28918275
I can see that, anime plays with escapism, the imagination, so it has to have things for everyone. The west has a society it wants to push, normies, Jew agendas, whatever, it has no room for the alternate folks.
I wish I just wasn't so self aware so I can participate in the escapism with you guys
>>
>>28918484
Anime has unironically good plots and characters as well. Anime is infamous for having completely wacky and imaginative settings and premises as well, which is its appeal to me. It isn't even about escapism, its about the creativity present throughout the entire medium that eclipses any other medium I'm exposed to (books, movies, vidya, and tv)
>>
File: 1448761885636.png (217 KB, 537x443) Image search: [Google]
1448761885636.png
217 KB, 537x443
>>28918038
Those are some spicy opinions my firend
>>
>>28918484
This is why you shouldn't watch stuff from CN and Nickelodeon and all those other big channels, especially CN of late
>>
>>28917549
both
100% ORIGINAL CHOICE right here bots git gud or get out
>>
File: Picture8-1.png (120 KB, 340x284) Image search: [Google]
Picture8-1.png
120 KB, 340x284
Moral Orel is my favorite cartoon so yeah, western.
>>
>>28918557
After seeing your post the
>anime is infantile trash designed to appeal to mentally deficient autistic manchildren
seems to fit right.
>>
>>28918522
I don't know, when I'm looking for an enthralling plot, I don't turn to cartoons. Cartoons for me are either for fun, or for the animation itself in the more artisan works
>>
>>28918629
I would suggest anime then because it has unironically some of the best animation (in both quality and technique) to be produced in the last couple decades.
>>
>>28918522
Cool, there's always that stigma that lots of anime are just for the libido trash, it's good that it isn't a stunted medium. If anime is so broad, then is the only thing that makes anime anime the artstyle? That seems like a poor way to label a medium. Are there any trends across all anime? Or because it's art, the classification is just based on how it looks. Why doesn't the east do more western style cartoons? Why stick to the anime aesthetic?
one problem I always have with new things to try is that I don't know where to start or how to continue with things, like what should I watch and how do I discover more content?
>>
>>28918665
I like (entry level) artisanal anime, like Akira. I've never really tried too move beyond that
>>
>>28918707
>If anime is so broad, then is the only thing that makes anime anime the artstyle?
the only thing that makes anime "anime" is that it's animated and comes from japan. period. that's the only thing the term means. it doesn't imply a particular art style.
>>
File: 1393293534206.gif (337 KB, 500x269) Image search: [Google]
1393293534206.gif
337 KB, 500x269
Western Cartoons. But I'm more of a classic western cartoon fan. The only current cartoon I've watched more than one episode of is Star vs the forces of Evil. All other current cartoons I've seen aren't all that interesting in my opinion. And when it comes to anime, the only one I've watched and really liked recently is One-Punch Man and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond Is Unbreakable.
>>
Western cartoons for sure, because I want to fucking vomit when I see the cancerous "waifu, anon-kun, senpai" or shitposters with smug bullshit.
>>
>>28917549
Western cartoons from the classic era and anime, anything else is shit.
>>
>>28918707
>then is the only thing that makes anime anime the artstyle?
its a medium, not a style. what makes "anime" anime is that its made in japan. that's it. the style is genre-specific and varies A LOT from studio to studio (Gainax and KyoAni and A1 and Bones have completely different styles, and don't even get me started on directorial art differences)
>Are there any trends across all anime?
Again, depends on the genre. Battle shounen (DBZ, Naruto, Bleach, ect...) is very derivative and long winded in terms of explainations while SoL moeshit is more slow paced and "comfy".
>Why doesn't the east do more western style cartoons?
The art style has been copied in some ways but because of Japanese xenophobia they think anime should stay Japanese in terms of art style, if that makes sense.
>Why stick to the anime aesthetic?
Because that's what sells and keeps to a status quo trend and stuff staying the same is very important to the Japanese.
>>
>>28918771
Huh, wonder why the term anime was used. It's a wierd way of categorizing things but alright
>>
>Tfw you say you don't like anime and animefags try to force you to like it
>>
>>28918786
then you hate the fanbase, not anime.
>>
>>28918722
>artisanal anime

Try some Makoto Shinkai senpai
>>
>>28918819
because in Japanese anime=animation. that's it.
>>
Why not both? Excluding gay moeshit of course.
>>
>>28918832
most people that say they don't like anime don't like it for superfical or stupid reasons though.
>>
>>28918811
Good ol cultural differences. I can understand the xenophobia and the "cultural purity" thing, but limiting the art aesthetic is wierd, wonder why it sells so well. Thanks for the knowledge
also, I remember a picture, one of a noose and am anime girl extending her hand through it, and it greentexts why some people like anime so much, do you have that image by chance?
>>
>>28918845
ok, I will. Thank you anon
>>
>>28918887
Don't try to prove me that hating it for the fanbase is not a good reason.
>>28918832
It's because they are autistic.
>>
>>28918895
>but limiting the art aesthetic is wierd, wonder why it sells so well.
because cute anime girls. its the same reason why western art styles aren't imitated by eastern studios. and no I don't.
>>
>>28918946
How is it? You don't hate the medium, you hate the fanbase independently of it. Which is objectively not liking the fanbase instead of the actual medium of anime. Stop talking about shit you know nothing about.
>>
Anyone here like Littlest Pet Shop?
>>
>>28918579
>especially CN of late
Fuck you imma watch Steven Universe and Gravity Falls
>>
>>28918952
Yah I guess there's societal appeal to cute looking things and females, and sometimes simple looking characters make you fill in the blanks, making the character more personalized and likeable. One thing I don't get is how shiny some people make their animes, like why have shine spots surrounded by a red blotch? What's the point? It looks plastic and kinda gross imo
I think i have it saved somewhere, I'll look for it at a later date, thanks anyways
>>
>>28918887
Who the fuck cares about why they don't like it? It really doesn't matter or affect anything important
>>
File: giphy.gif (150 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
150 KB, 500x281
>>28919037
And Gumball?
>>
>>28919037
SU genuinely sucks though, and Gravity Falls wasn't even on CN
>>
>>28918598
>people actually enjoy 2 seasons of ok-tier dark religious fedora tipping comedy and one entire season of grimdark nothing happens we try to be edgy and deep at the same time
>>
>>28918974
>trying to discard my opinion
>muh animu desu
Not so sure.
>>
>>28919049
>What's the point? It looks plastic and kinda gross imo
It's artistic direct bro, the artists can do whatever they want.
>>28919060
It kinda does. If you are not liking something for a superfical reason you don't actually not like that thing, you dislike the thing that influences your dislike of said thing.
>>28919076
I'm not trying to discard your opinion, just show you that you don't actually dislike anime, you dislike anime fans. And nice try trying to trivialize my argument with >muh anime
>>
>>28919116
True say, I wonder why the artist chose to wax all his characters tho, not sure what it adds to the image besides an easy way to make points of focus
>>
>>28917549
SpongeBob.

Bitch.
>>
File: panda1.jpg (63 KB, 640x588) Image search: [Google]
panda1.jpg
63 KB, 640x588
>>28919116
I did not want to trivialize it, I'm just really sleepy because I have not slept well in the last few days. So good night and maybe see you in another thread, also sorry if I sounded rude.
>>
>>28919116
>It kinda does. If you are not liking something for a superfical reason you don't actually not like that thing, you dislike the thing that influences your dislike of said thing.

You either didn't read my post or you're extremely stupid.
I'm going with the second one. I sat here typing up a counter-argument, but gave up because you're shitposting all over this thread. You have no fucking clue what you're even talking about You seem to just be arguing and disagreeing for the sole purpose of being an edgy contrarian. Kill yourself.
>>
>>28918774
I'd also like to add that since Metalocalypse isn't getting a series finale, there's nothing for me to look forward to when it comes to western cartoons
>>
>>28919262
>edgy contrarian
just give up. you obviously have no idea what you are talking about or any knowledge about anime or the anime industry as a whole. fuck off.
>>
>>28919323
This reply of yours just reinforces your edgy contrarian act. You even parroted part of my earlier post.
>>
>>28917549
Watching western cartoons that aren't adult swim is the worst kind of autism literally in existence, watching anime is alright but if normies see you watching western cartoons you may aswell just kill yourself
>>
What I hate about cartoons is that they almost always have to be episodic comedy because they're targeted at children and teens most of the time
>>
>>28919395
>western cartoons that aren't adult swim is the worst kind of autism literally in existence
>not anime
>>
>>28919463
western cartoons are known for having an extremely autistic fanbase, moreso than most anime
>>
>>28919463
but it's true, normies nowdays even watch anime sometimes too, and are aware of it or neutral to it aslong as you're not a raging weeb, while western cartoons is autistic because nobody actually watches them and normies are not aware why would someone watch them past the age of 10
>>
Jojo's bizarre adventure was top-notch.
Only oldschool cartoons and unique ones like Wakfu, Archer,, and Avatar seem to be sort of up to par, but JBA was just such a perfect combination of story and art that it has yet to be surpassed.
Is there any anime that surpasses it?
Not in my opinion.
>>
>>28919371
yeah, whatever you say, faggot
>>
>>28919505
>Jojo
>Good
Shit tier taste confirmed.
>>
>>28919505
Watch more anime
originio
>>
>>28919586
>It's popular therefore it sucks!
>>
>>28917549
I wish I could enjoy anime again but I'm too old now.

99% of it is just braindead wish fufillment with horrible storytelling.

Modern anime in particular is fucking awful. Nothing fucking happens in most of them. You get a bit of action/plot in episode 1 and then again in eps 12/13.

Everything in between is slice of life garbage

I don't have the time or patience for that shit anymore.

For me it's Comics >>> Cartoons >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Anime & Manga
>>
File: 6786.jpg (293 KB, 621x621) Image search: [Google]
6786.jpg
293 KB, 621x621
>Western cartoons post-2010
There is literally nothing worth watching.
Most of it is full of social justice faggotry anyway.
Glorious nippon animation all the way.
>>
>>28919586
>>28919624
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure was all the anime I need.
It was way better than Hunter x Hunter IMO, not the manga though, which I haven't read cause I'd like to buy it.
I tend to like manga better so the Magi manga, HXH, Dai no Daibouken were all fantastic but JBA was the best anime I've seen.
Rarely do animes look like that and just a cheap copy of the manga.
Attack on Titan was a good anime too but it was too short lived.
I dunno though guys, I think Jojo was my peak for anime watching, I'm gonna take a break now and try to make my own.
>>
>>28919685

But but Steven Cuckiverse tho

Seriously fuck whoever on r9k said steven universe was good it's the worst shit I ever seen.
>>
>>28919700
> I'm gonna take a break now and try to make my own.
this can't be real. this has to be bait.
>>
>>28919727
That's what I'd hoped, mainly because I like to spite feminist bitches I used to know in high school.
Not like they've changed though, once a bitch always a fucking bitch.
Also Adventure Time sucked too.
It was just.....Gay.
There was no Adventure, going somewhere and coming back home next episode is no adventure.
that's like saying going to the store to get groceries is an adventure.
Also they talked like such fucking faggots dude, literally fucking pandering to fuckheads who actually think it's okay to speak like a douche.
>>
>>28917781
I watched anime for like 6 years before I realized it's all reused garbage
>>
>>28918009
he described 90% of anime, 5% are random 90's- esque cartoons and 5% are diamonds in the rough with actual story. Anime is almost always collectivist bullshit made to service the lowest common denominator just original enough to meet sales. If you haven't realized this you're 15 or critically inept. Enjoy the repeat tropes and zero change until you realize the medium is shit in 20 years and kill yourself because its your life NEET faggot.
>>
>>28917549
>>28917958
Wanted to post this.
The only people who hate anime are jews because they can't control it as easily and brainwash the general population
Same reason they hated video games, but those are getting jewier by the second
>>
>>28919729
Nah bro I've been drawing since I was three years old and making comics since I was 10, I got a style and formula down and just have to go over them with pen in order to put them on my website.
I also have made a ton of gifs and other animations by scanning drawings and editing them or using artist's gum to blank it out so I can draw on it and make a hand drawn animation without wasting too much paper.
U jelly?
I haven't gotten used to the feel of a G pen so I use a pilot pen.
>>
>>28919820
You need to watch more anime then. And not just anime made in the last decade.
>>28919836
...you do realize only Japanese born and raised people get anime greenlit right?
>>
File: 67567.jpg (18 KB, 259x365) Image search: [Google]
67567.jpg
18 KB, 259x365
>>28919727
I honestly couldn't make it through the first episode.
What the fuck is the appeal of that show?

>>28919770
>It was just.....Gay.
I couldn't describe it any more accurately than that.
>Adventure Time
Really depressed about what happened to that show.
It's not like the first 4 seasons were perfect but I felt like they at least had something going for them occasionally.
>>
>>28919770
That kid was cute as fuck and that show was funny and it was full of adventure in the form of absurdity you STUPID FUCKING KEK

SpongeBob is the undisputed GOAT of the 90s though
>>
File: 54ftgftg.jpg (51 KB, 422x422) Image search: [Google]
54ftgftg.jpg
51 KB, 422x422
>>28919911
>That kid was cute as fuck
>I am mentally retarded
>>
>>28919886
It's not anime it's my own style, I draw eyes better too, more realistic irises.
Japanese have some pretty great mystical eyes but they cannot capture how fantastic European eyes are, I can.
I'm gonna put it on newgrounds to show people what they're getting into before they buy a season.
I'll also sell my comics at like $4 a volume.
>>
>>28919911
Adventure time and steven cukniverse sucked equally bad.
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure was made because the artist had a great imagination and wanted to get the story out there FOR HIMSELF.
Adventure time and steven the giant cuck were made to get viewers. They have no soul.
Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.