[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>want to design a game >can't code worth a damn >don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (198 KB, 960x731) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
198 KB, 960x731
>want to design a game
>can't code worth a damn
>don't know anyone who can code
>don't have any money

Who else got this feels right here
>>
You clearly have internet access.
Why don't you use that instead of making excuses?
>>
>>28914754
Learn to code mate, I did it in high school when I was writing macros for runescape in 04-07ish.
>>
>>28914754
>My game would be like XXX meets ZZZ and would have elements from YYYY
Is this how you think you would "design" a game?
>>
Your game would probably be kind of shit anyway desu senpai. I bet you'd find coding more compelling if you learned about and then tried to make a game; you'd be like "wow, fuck this shit, I'm just gonna fuck around on my computer instead".
>>
>>28914836
Not really, I can only think of one game I'd be taking inspiration from.
>>
>>28914795
You need to know math for that, right?
>>
>>28914754
Time to hit the books you lazy sack of shit
>>
Game maker studio is literally baby town frolics tier, get to work
>>
>>28914754
learn lua nigga. You'll be able to make a decent 2d game. Do a little of that then upgrade to 3d engines
>>
>>28915345
Not really, you can start making simple stuff. The hardest part is learning the syntax but once you get past that you can improve at a steady pace.
>>
>>28914754
Play DnD or any other tabletop RPG

I would have loved to be a game designer because I love to see people experience the things I make. With DnD I can pretty much do that, the world I built is able to be enjoyed by my players.

Feel bretty gud
>>
Thinking about learning java so I can enter the android market. Is it worth it friends?
>>
Tell me about your game idea, anon.
>>
>>28914754
Well you know your problem don't you?
>>
Yeah I know that feel but I can code, it's just really hard and takes all my time because it needs to remain fresh in my mind or I'll forget. I also draw comics to improve my art and I have a couple friends who are great musicians. I should be done in about two years, provided I can pass my C++ course which Ive been preparing for
>>
>>28914754
learn how to write a game design document then. vague ideas in your head aren't going to get anything made even if you found a coder anyways
>>
>>28914836
isn't thia the way
>>
>>28916357
go away EA
>>
i had no idea how to code 2 months ago and in a week i learned how to make standard rpg, 3d, and shooting games in game maker. its super hands on so theres no really boring part of it. put some effort into learning instead of being a bitch.
>>
>>28916536
Seriously dude, every time someone says they have an idea for an app or game some Jew rears its ugly head.
Redpill me on making a game engine, do I need Linux?
>captcha; select all images with a storm front
>>
>>28916612
I think to make a game engine you gotta have a lot of new ideas and prevent Jews from stealing them. That's the key and the reason for most startup failure.
>>
>>28914754
>want to be soccer player
>cannot run very fast

fuc
>>
File: pepe gun in mouth.jpg (14 KB, 267x181) Image search: [Google]
pepe gun in mouth.jpg
14 KB, 267x181
>want to write a novel
>shit writer

>want to write a comic book
>shit at drawing on top of being shit at writing

>want to make a cartoon series and get it on tv someday
>shit at writing, drawing and there is literally no chance in hell any network would like my idea

>want to make a game
>don't know shit about coding

Just fucking kill me senpai.
>>
Do you people just expect yourselves to be good at what you want to do?

You'll be disappointed an awful lot.

If you dedicate yourself, and work hard, you can maybe become really good at like 3 things in your lifetime. - or +1~2 depending on how smart your approach is.
>>
>>28914754

If you're not going to do the coding yourself don't bother. Nothing's worse than the "I'll contribute story" fags.
>>
>>28917109
>>don't know shit about coding

you obviously have a computer and spare time, so you're already set to start learning. the only thing stopping you is yourself. "im le bad at coding :(" then get good, dipshit. it's not like you have anything better to do.
>>
>>28916017
the app bubble is long gone. the only apps that make it to the front page are front established developers
>>
File: xI8SF2X.gif (229 KB, 500x382) Image search: [Google]
xI8SF2X.gif
229 KB, 500x382
>>28914754
>want to design a text-based spy game
>love to write, love text-based games
>great at math, trying to teach myself to code
>too busy wagecucking to ever work on it
>>
>>28917433
you have weekends, right?

...right???
>>
>can program games
>will never be good enough to make REALLY COOL GAMES
>can't rely on art as a crutch like most indie devs because I can't do art and don't know anyone
>>
Been trying gamemaker the last couple of days, should I just go with the tutorials they recommend or is there a better way to learn?
>>
>>28917582
i'm not too accustomed to gamemaker but i would say doing the tutorials and then just messing around with it would be the best way to learn
>>
>>28917448
*wagecucking and unicucking

>>28917494
if you can program games and have completed any (even simple/novice games) you should try poking around some dev forums and look for artists. if you find any who are looking for work and they see that you can finish a game, they'll be more likely to want to work with you.
>>
File: tumblr_ni69s3GqL61trnn4jo1_500.jpg (31 KB, 498x337) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ni69s3GqL61trnn4jo1_500.jpg
31 KB, 498x337
I tried to learn how to code but I seriously couldn't grasp it.

Where can I go to learn from the very basic steps the knowledge needed? I want to make vn/rpg.
>>
>want to make a game
>realize I'm am autist with no creativity so I don't know how to code something unless I have specific instructions on how it should be
>>
>>28918910

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB2alpO62GM
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.