[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Nihilism
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 11
File: bloody.gif (25 KB, 430x240) Image search: [Google]
bloody.gif
25 KB, 430x240
I feel like nothing matters. Not in the edgy "lets go on a shooting spree and become an hero" kind of way, but in the kind of way that makes me unable to pick a side in whatever issue arises. This makes me completely lazy and reluctant to do anything productive, but I still want to become a respectable person and have a good life and shit.

What do?
>>
File: edgyshit.jpg (28 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
edgyshit.jpg
28 KB, 300x300
>>28908484
>What do?
kys. pic strongly related
>>
>>28908484
>nihilism
why even when hedonism is an option?
>>
>>28908484

educate yourself and get money
>>
>>28908484
>>28908484
I know what you mean. I'm what you describe for 2 years since I was 18-19. I've heard from some guys on /his/ that I should read up some Nietzsche.

To try and become an ubermensch and have a goal in life to strive for.

>>28908679
Is that why we browse 4chan, to get good with girls?
>>
>>28908537
>>28908679
>>28908687
Is there a philosophy/philosopher that can help out nihilists? Maybe someone who gives a reason why someone should still be successful, and says it in a way that truly makes things click?
>>
>>28908810
Nietzsche. That's what people have been advising me.
>>
>>28908865
You're this >>28908800 guy I presume?

Anyway thanks. Nietzsche is brought up a lot, but is often written off as an edgy meme philosopher or whatever, so I never bothered. Any specific book I should start with? He has a lot if I remember correctly.
>>
>>28908484
Meaning comes from the associative feelings attached to life.

If something makes you feel strong feelings it means something to you.

The key to having a meaningful life is the command over your emotions. Not numbing them or being victim to them but emoting skilfully.
>>
>>28908898
I've got no idea desu.

What I understood is that his first books tends to explain why he's a nihilist. Then later down the road he knows why how he should obtain a goal. Finally he has some sort of mental breakdown and that's where he got his fame as meme edgelord.

I guess he had the same journey as all of us nihilists have.
>>
>>28908484
www.reddit.com/r/nihilism
faggot
>>
>>28908898
Thus Spoke Zarathustra maybe?

If you're not sure about getting it, you should read about it on sparknotes first
>>
>>28908484
Iktf bro.

I've become somewhat of a nihilist too lately, and I just cant see why I should give a fuck about anything.
We're all just hairless apes anyway on one planet among billions of others, what does it matter?
Nothing seems meaningful, when people babble on about their personal problems, or when people are killed in large numbers on the other side of the planet, or when I have to go celebrate some ceremony it all just seems a complete, meaningless hassle.
Everything just delusions apes tell themselves so that they'll feel their lives matter.

Is there even a solution to this kind of feel?
>>
>>28908800
>Is that why we browse 4chan, to get good with girls?
Explain what girls has to do with hedonism?
>>
>>28909182
Isn't hedonism just not caring and doing what feels good now. This coupled with everyone's desire to have sex with a girl.
>>
Actually, I don't think anything matters at all. In a few billion years, the earth will be consumed by the sun as it becomes a big red giant. Any trace of human life will be destroyed.
>>
>>28909264
Yeah, exactly so knowing this how does one manage to get out of bed in the morning?
I'm >>28909164
>>
>>28909164
do you like donuts?
>>
I feel exactly the same way and I'd like to have willpower to kill myself. The thing is I have experienced the exact opposite of laziness during my military service but life sucks anyway so I don't see any point to do anything anymore.
>>
>>28909211
yep, but girls aren't necessary so faertvaertbaettqbear
>>
>>28909290
well, why not just enjoy life and expect that humans won't exist for ever? It's just like accepting that you're going to grow old and die. It doesn't mean you give up.
>>
>>28909306
Not all that much, but I'll eat them if we happen to have some (which we never do).
I prefer dark beer, burgers and pizza.
It's not enough though, its not enough of a reason to drag oneself out of bed and go and suffer for over half the day just for some small moments of feeling ok.
>>
>>28908484

>What do?
Read "The Courage to be" by Paul Tillich, and what Nietzsche wrote about "bejahen" everything.
>>
>>28909375
Yeah, that would be possible if I was a multi million dollar heir.
But the fact is that most people lead lives where their suffering is far greater than their pleasure, and when nothing matters anyway it seems that life just isn't worth it.
And all this just makes me want to stay inside and sleep and drink all day, dreading life.
>>
The truth is that anyone with an IQ over 85 knows that nihilism is plainly factual and unchangeable, and the only thing you can do about it is to escape into hedonism and/or distract yourself from it. This is how some people are able to live happily. Either they are too dumb to know, or they manage to distract themselves with simple things like the instinctual need for sex, love, safety, and so on. Nihilism usually only turns into a problem when the person in question realizes it too soon, like in their early teens, and become disillusioned with the world when they need to still be believing in positivity.
>>
File: 1458856036715.jpg (401 KB, 683x1024) Image search: [Google]
1458856036715.jpg
401 KB, 683x1024
We all get to a point in lifr where we find that nothing matters. And in fact, nothing really does matter. On the universal scale we are not much.

But then one day I got it all
It was so silly yet it changed forever my vision of this world

If all was equal to nothing
Then couldn't nothing be all ?
>>
>>28909440

>most people lead lives where their suffering is far greater than their pleasure

That is rediculous coming from a faggot who most likely lives (like the most of us) in the west.

Africans would KILL for the lives even the lowest of us have, and so would a lot of Asians.
>>
File: camus.jpg (160 KB, 1321x900) Image search: [Google]
camus.jpg
160 KB, 1321x900
>>28908898
Reading Nietzsche as an introduction to philosophy of any sort, let alone nihilism, is jumping right into the deep end. Start with Camus' The Stranger and The Myth of Sisyphus and move on from there.
>>
>>28909628
Are you even aware of how cliched that argument is?
>>
>>28909755
Still true nonetheless.

Living in a world where worrying about your own survivability isn't even optional breeds all sort of mental illnesses due to stagnating

That's where the "dumb shits white people do" meme come from. Life is pretty easy but we can't see it because we lack the harshness of the other's lives to compare.

Like srsly, what we worry about is : socializing, getting the succ, and boredom.
>>
File: diversityandlove.jpg (57 KB, 386x512) Image search: [Google]
diversityandlove.jpg
57 KB, 386x512
>>28909628
ARE YOU KIDDING ME??!!!11!

YOU'RE A WHITE MALE!!
THERE ARE POOR, INNOCENT, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE OF COLOR WHO DOES NOT HAVE EVERYTHING YOU HAVE. HOW DARE YOU BE UNSATISFIED!!!11!! TRIGGERED.

The fact that africans are so willing to kill is probably a lot of the reason their countries suck, but never mind that. Just because there are people or beings, who theoretically or practically have worse lives than us, doesn't mean that our lives are good, or even worth living.

You're clearly an overly emotional ball of estrogen, I dont know what made you think it was a good idea to leave tumblr, but you should go back, for the best of all of us.
Pic mostly unrelated.
>>
>>28909628
>implying this in any way detracts from what he said
No, you're only confirming what he's saying and agreeing with him. Yes, all those starving African babies should kill them selves or be mercy killed. It's fucking disgusting that this is allowed to happen. All the charity prolonging their suffering and creating an unsustainable situation that will eventually collapse and millions will die. We're artificially artificially growing a population that already cannot sustain itself. They should all die peacefully, and will be better off for it.
>>
>>28909918
He's right though. Not that we shouldn't worry, but that it's really illogical to worry about this shit. And yet we do.

I worry about it too. Fuck me.
>>
File: 1435802831940.png (217 KB, 680x680) Image search: [Google]
1435802831940.png
217 KB, 680x680
>>28908484
>reluctant
stop using those fucking words i cant understand REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
File: nihilist.png (327 KB, 668x461) Image search: [Google]
nihilist.png
327 KB, 668x461
OP you are a depressed faggot. Get a hold on yourself and be happy that nothing matters.
>>
>>28910606
Are you literally from another universe?
>>
>>28908484
kill yourself
the only true nihilist is a corpse, since it is impossible to be a nihilist and a human being.
>>
>>28908679
The hedonistic argument falls apart in the face of nihilism.

>>28910723
The idea of optimistic nihilism falls apart as soon as you use the broken hedonistic argument.

>>28909628
Suffering is subjective as people feel things in different way and in different intensities. This is assuming that other people can feel anything at all.

Therefore a life of suffering for a western person may well be paradise for an African.
>>
>>28908484
if you where truly a nihilist you wouldn't call your self a nihilist at all or make threads about it. you wouldn't think about religion, or think about theorys on how to act
>>
>>28908484
Quit being so spineless
>>
>>28911536
Go out into nature...like a national park or something. It could provide you some clarity.
>>
>>28911944
Samefag.

Try meditation...both of these things will help you come to your own conclusions, and help you center a bit.
>>
>>28911944

yes this

trees + dreams
>>
>>28911857
He literally said he doesn't want to be a true nihilist you stupid fucker.
>>
>Try meditation

It's actually very exhausting to focus on relaxing and meditating.

I would say it's impossible if you try it on your own.

It's easier in a group with guidance.
>>
File: 1445484579510.jpg (123 KB, 436x623) Image search: [Google]
1445484579510.jpg
123 KB, 436x623
i dont really know what to do anymore either

i have no interest in anything, no passions or obsessions, i have no convictions, no hobbies, i don't look up to anyone nor am i close with my family

i've forgotten how to do anything but exist. i've forgotten how to care
>>
I feel the same but... I always think; i do not have a reason to do anything but... do i have a reason to not do anything? I just created an alternate persona and hid the other part. And it works, I believe. i even managed to try to extend nihilism to my feelings, to get a perfect grasp of myself. Meditation plays a huge role in it. I think we can all escape from nihilism. we just have to hang on that part of you that is still there, the one that checks this thread hoping to see something that will help him, that stills care somewhat. you guys haven't shot yourself yet, you can still do it.
>>
>>28911276
maybe he's just from another part of the world... that doesn't speak english
>>
>>28908484

You're not a nihilist you are just apathetic and a lazy bore
>>
>>28908898

>edgy meme philosopher

Because he is
>>
>>28908484
>still want to become a respectable person

What for?
>>
>>28908484
>in this moment I can do something productive or I can go on 4chan!
>nothing matters
>therefore either option is of equal weight.
>but I choose...
>4chan
... because you are lazy as fuck and you use le philosophy as your excuse.

and hedonism is short-sighted and retarded
imagine your plane crashes in the forest and you realize you gotta build a spear and hunt all day for food to survive.
>nah, that's too hard!
>I'm just gonna boost my happiness by doing nothing and enjoying nature until I starve.
>yea I could have been saved if I hunted for a week or two but hey, at least I died happy! xD
>life would be suffering anyway if i lived lol

Also this: >>28911398
Of course you realize that there is no intrinsic point of breathing, thinking or making motion at all so if your goal is to cease all pointless activity then also quit breathing/thinking/moving i.e. fucking kill yourself.
And if your goal is NOT to cease all pointless activity, why do you have a problem being productive despite knowing it is 'pointless' in the end?
Don't ask yourself "Why should I do thing?" ask "Why not ?".
>>
>>28911944
I have all the clarity I need to tear the same shitty arguments people have been posting here for years.
>>
>>28913634
4chan requires less energy and is a form of instant gratification and a flow of information, "something productive is typically not". Your argument is invalid.
>>
>>28913987
>4chan requires less energy and is a form of instant gratification...
now revise my plane crash analogy
>i can leisure all day and die of starvation (requires less energy and is a form of instant gratification)
>or
>i can put some energy into hunting for a few weeks and survive.
turning into:
>i can browse 4chan all day and live, be a despicable person and have a generally shitty life. (requires less energy and is a form of instant gratification)
>or
>i can do something productive for a few years, be a respectable person and live a generally good life.
which is what OP wanted

>inb4 "flow of information" from 4chan is somehow going to help you in life.
>>
c'est la vie

ive been a nihilist since i was a kid. there's no turning back. just *try* to enjoy the ride that is life while you still can.
>>
>>28914318
it's what OP wanted sure, I was just talking about the difference between choosing a productive activity in comparison with 4chan. nothing matters/ a nihilistic mindset doesn't mean every activity becomes equal, humans will always choose the path of least resistance unless the survival instinct is activated and they need to "build a spear and hunt" survive. It's why procrastination is so present in our instant-gratification driven millennial society, there is no threat to survival and we just go on living in comfortable, but mundane conditions which can lead to depression or ultimately nihilism once one begins to question the nature of purpose,the existence of reality and meaning itself.
>>
>>28914665
Well I actually agree with you apart from one thing.
>humans will always choose the path of least resistance unless the survival instinct is activated
>always
Because the survival instinct, although powerful, is obviously not the ONLY precursor to motivation.
People can consciously choose against their instincts which are usually short-sighted; it's called discipline. (the most cliche example being like studying for good grades so you can find a good job half a decade later)
>>
>>28908484
I feel the exact same way. It sucks.
>>
File: zzUUNVo[1].jpg (277 KB, 2048x1382) Image search: [Google]
zzUUNVo[1].jpg
277 KB, 2048x1382
here you go op
nothing matters? if so you could say thats a good thing
>>
>>28915391
it is nor a good or a bad thing especially if you take moral nihilism into account
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.