[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Never met anyone who only listens to rap that isn't brain dead
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (72 KB, 750x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
72 KB, 750x600
Anyone here have experience with people who like rap who aren't dense as fuck? can't imagine a professor or Business exec listening to rap.
>>
it's all shkreli listens to. rappers themselves are pretty smart, and it takes cleverness to write good rhymes. sagin this bait my man
>>
only listen to rap and i have a 3.9 at an ivy undergrad, also know a fair amount of professors who do (look at harvard's hip-hop studies research, shit's fantastic)
>>28906572
this. rap is pretty much the most involved genre out there, also quite popular with finance / law types

sage
>>
>>28906521
Im not a fan or rap or most of its fans but one of my exes who made the dean's list loves old school rap and hip hop.
>>
>>28907772
Prove it faggot

Potato auspices
>>
I like older rap, for me the cutoff date is like 2006. There are still good things here every now and then. I just can't stand the shit on the radio, fucking mumbling and what I call sing raps. There's a lot of information to process in most real rap songs, if you're dumb most of it will go right over your head. Or you can read rapgenius and pretend you already understood all that stuff later.
>>
so is it listening to rap or only listening to rap that you're talking about

you can't imagine a professor listening to rap? are u in high school
>>
>>28906521
Here in Europe, rap is produced and consumed almost exclusively by sandniggers.
>>
>>28907772
kinda funny bc i only listen to rap and i work in finance. my boss also do it but he likes "oldschool rap"
>>
>>28906521
I've met nonblacks who like rap. Liking rap doesn't mean you like black people.
>>
>>28906521
What do you listen to? Because you're dense as fuck.
>>
I'm an engineer and i listen to rap.
BIG L 139 NIGGA
>>
>>28906572
Shkreli doesn't exclusively listen to rap. For example, there's a pic of him wearing a Brand New shirt
I'd wager most ivy league types who listen to rap do so solely for the image of being socially aware/not stodgy
However, there's a certain pretentiousness associated with people who listen to e.g. Kendrick Lamar, newer Kanye, comparable to the type of person who listens to King Crimson and Radiohead
Rap is as diverse as rock, has dumb niggers instead of dumb punks, Wiz Khalifa types instead of shoegazers, J Dilla lovers instead of Madchester revivalists, smug uppity assholes who take the genre too seriously, etc.
That being said, your average rap aficionado that your typical suburban robot encounters is going to be as dumb as a brick and have "Studied Weed at University of Not Giving a Fuck" on their Facebook
>>
>>28908013
good taste
big l is easily top 10 oat
>>
>>28906521
You gotta be pretty fucking basic to listen to exclusively one genre of music.
>>
>>28906521
I've met professors, had high school teachers, and met those in the business and mathematics fields who listened to rap.

I like rap a bit myself, but, the fact I keep coming back here shows I might be brain dead after all.
>>
yo but if any of you actually want to have legitimate discussions, kanyetothe is the place to go
4chan has pretty much the worst views on hip-hop that i've ever seen online
>>
I like rap (rap like Dylan Ross, $uicideboy$, Bones, etc.) and I won't lie, 99% of rap fans are retarded. Even if they just listen to white rappers (like the ones I listed), they're still retarded. Myself included.
>>
>>28907979
I'm from Europe (where we don't have black people) and I completely agree with OP. Where did he mention black people?
>>
only normies listej to rap. get off our board you pieces of shit i hope u all die
>>
>>28906521
>listens only to radiohead and other "alternative" mainstream rock bands
>hey guys dae all rap fans are retards?
>more like crap music amirite??
>implying music taste isn't subjective and inherently fickle

Original human thought of the year 2016 right here
>>
>>28908092
No that site is just as bad. Just read big ghost, that's all you need.
>>
>>28908098
>only listening to white rappers
>white rappers are all trash
i see the retardation desu
>>
>>28908105
so what do you listen grand wizard ?
>>
>>28908126
I didn't say that I only listened to white rappers, but I did list a few that I listen to. I said that people who just listen to white rappers are retarded.

learn to read desu
>>
>>28908112
>some white kid who went to a private school and never been in a fight in his life playing an exaggerated persona of his favorite rapper
No thanks
>>
File: BS9mt01CIAEVhZE.jpg (38 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
BS9mt01CIAEVhZE.jpg
38 KB, 600x900
>>28908151
>>28908161
>>28908126
>crackers getting this mad over rap music
>>
>>28908126
desu I think bones is pretty damn good, in general though yeah I think white rappers tend to suck
>>
File: image.jpg (83 KB, 640x607) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
83 KB, 640x607
>>28906521
My father is a mechanical engineer who listens to rap.
>>
>>28908126

top 5 current and all time best rap artists, go
>>
>>28908187
He has damn near flawless taste though. I have been to Kanyetothe and that's the board that had an unironic 300 page thread for "queen Taylor" when Red dropped. They're almost as fruity as Mr. Kardashian himself.
>>
hip hop is like the most robot genre there is. only true patricians can appreciate the artform.
https://youtu.be/BX-7BlRc_a0
>>
>>28908250
subjective but i'll take the bait

OAT:
nas
rakim
jay-z
GZA
black thought

2000's:
wayne
kanye
gucci
pusha
jay elec

current:
thug
keef
rocky
meek
gibbs
>>
>>28908528
inb4 kendrick stans
>>
>>28906521

finished a co-op recently as a junior analyst at one of Canada's largest banks and all the analysts loved rap

these are guys with their CFA's and some MBA's, far more educated than you will ever be
>>
>>28906521
>can't imagine a professor or Business exec listening to rap.
What do you imagine them listening to though? Unless someone is an overt metalfag, rockfag or turbonormie who only listens to EDM, I find it's quite hard to guess what someone listens to.
>>
>>28907772
>harvard's hip-hop studies

Okay, this is as good a moment as any for me to declare that western education is kill.
>>
>>28908769
You need to have a degree from Harvard to truly understand The Genuis.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFjGd2s8ndo
>>
>>28908769
>implying western education was not already kill when the same school introduced a fucking 3-credit course on tree climbing
>>
>>28908795
yo what is this shit
i'm all for ivy league education, but who's shitposting with gza
>>
>>28908797
>cornell
>"education"
lmao
>>
>>28908528
You have 50/50 taste. Half so fucking corny I want to slap the stupid out of you half legit.
>>
>>28908824
Not even exaggerating, GZA is the best Hip-Hop MC of all time and Liquid Swords is the best Hip-Hop album ever.
>>
>>28908852
propose a better list senpai
altho it's difficult to get a full sense without top 10 desu
>>
>>28908769
Harvard undergrad here. That's not a major, it's just a research project by some of the faculty in Music and African American Studies
>>
>>28908867
gza is top 10 for sure, arguably top 5, and yeah liquid swords is fantastic. personally, i don't think he has the necessary discog for GOAT though
>>
>>28908528

bait? you have no idea what bait means. if anything is bait it is proclaiming that racism is the only factor in the quality of rap

you have a bunch of safe, easy choices, mostly if not entirely mainstream, and you seem to have no knowledge of black rap outside the states, let alone white. i'm sure there are plenty of people who care about rap more than you who'd be glad to tear you to shit but i don't really care, i was just curious.

plenty of your names list eminem as one of their all time favorite/most influential rappers and respect someone like bones btw. you think you know better than them?
>>
>>28906521
i have more respect for a professor listening to rap than a professor pretending to enjoy mozart
>>
>>28906572
>rappers themselves are pretty smart
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3wBMFQKBL0
>>
>>28908915
Cut away that bullshit like keef, thug, Gucci (you smoking crack?), and go back through the early 00s because you're real light on hip-hop's second golden age. It's like a list some white writer for rolling stone would write with obvious shit, popular shit regardless of quality so they don't look like contrarians, and a few things for people who really know what's good (gangsta gibbs)
>>
>>28906572
>It triggers me so I'll call it bait

Kill yourself, my man.
>>
>>28906521
I haven't met anyone who listens to metal or classic rock with a high IQ either.
>>
>>28908945
I don't know if looking at Discographies for Hip-Hop is the best way to decide if someone is GOAT or not. I can't think of that many groups or MCs which put out consistently good things. Off the top of my head I'd say Ghostface Killah, MF Doom, A Tribe Called Quest, Madlib, Boogie Down Prod/KRS-One and maybe Outkast and The Pharcyde have 3 or more decent releases. Maybe Gangstarr are the overall best in terms of consistency.

Then there are people like Big L who only has one album but it's probably top 10 of all Hip-Hop albums easily.

I can't decide who my favourite Hip-Hop producer of all time is though, it'll probably be DJ Premier, Pete Rock or RZA.
>>
>>28909093
Why did you automatically jump to trashing on rock and metal?
>>
>>28906521
>Implying Kendrick Lamar and MC Ride aren't the most talented musicians of our current generation.
>>
>>28908867
>not linx
PLEB
>>
>>28909157
My favorite producer is The Alchemist. Those other guys are iconic but their styles never evolved. Al just keeps getting better and better, he's made all kinds of styles of beats too.
>>
>>28909186
Because they're not inherently any more musically dense than rap but dadrock fans think otherwise.
>>
>>28908528
jay electronica put out like 1 tape... lmao
>>
>>28908946
>expecting me to throw non-US artists on a top 5 list
there aren't any who deserve t5, and i've listened to a fair amount of uk / german / dutch / japanese / etc. artists (for non-english, no clue what the fuck they're saying most of the time tho)
either way, this is going to be necessarily subjective
i could throw on whatever the hell i want and still get called out, it's the internet -- i posted that fully expecting to get shat upon by the usual 4chan posters (stanning guys like DOOM, kendrick, chance, pro era, etc).
as for eminem, he's the only white artist that i'd concede could meet my personal top 10 (and still wouldn't)--as for bones and others, i don't listen to much backpacker shit, so you got me there
>>28909037
>keef, thug, gucci
>bullshit
i've seen enough
keef is the most influential artist of this generation and thug is probably the most fun to listen to, i'm not arguing this in terms of artistic quality (although, given how much both of said artists have innovated, they'd qualify) or whatever
it's a personal top 5 list, you should expect some popular shit to be on there for obvious reasons--was tempted to throw on pac, andre, kool g rap, slick rick, etc. for 90s but the same "popular shit" critique could be said for them
as for alternates for recent picks, i actually avoided most popular choices (future, travis, etc. -- not worthy either way). could throw on gherbo, denzel, etc. but at the same time none fit better than what i currently have imo
>>
File: folder.jpg (138 KB, 600x597) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
138 KB, 600x597
>>28909217
Yeah that's the main problem I have with those guys. I used to really like everything DJ Premier made when I was younger but it all sounds a bt samey.

I don't even listen to that much Hip-Hop anymore apart from the odd bit of Turntablism every now and then.
>>
>>28909235
1 tape and it was insane, relevant to this dude's >>28909157 critique for the potential he had
talk shit post list desu pointless either way since you'll either get shat on by backpackers or guys who call you out for not having obvious choices, there's no winning with lists that are necessarily subjective and based upon personal preference
>>
>>28907772
There is a lot more to music than the lyrics and a bit of rhythym.

Only listening to one genre in general seems really stupid to me.

Most current hip hop has only gotten worse in terms of the backing tracks. My favorite hip hop album for the tracks is The 7 Day Theory. The timbre has generally gotten much worse in hip hop as well.

But then I also listen to a lot of jazz fusion/funk and very much enjoy the rhythm, timbre, and melodies of it. It's lyrically simpler, but musically far better than hip hop.

And I agree with Cobain, that lyrics are the least important part of music.
>>
>>28908100
Lol have you been to sweden or germany or britan m8.

You are being ethnicly enriched daily everywhere european fag
>>
That's because grunge and dark ambient are the patrician thinking man's genres. I listen to them and I am smart!
>>
Please reply to this post with only the best, cream-of-the-crop rap music and I will give it a shot.
>>
What does your soul look like part 2>4>3>1
>>
Nah rap is testosterone in audio form, it's life music
>>
>>28909948
nas - illmatic
nas - it was written
mos def - black on both sides
black star - mos def & talib kweli are black star
gza - liquid swords

see if you like any of those albums and take it from there (you'll be able to google for a ton of /mu/ recommendation charts)
>>
>tfw white kid
>don't really like music at all
>just listen to rap because i like beats
>>
>>28910833
There's a lot of ways to listen to Hip-Hop beats without rapping you know.
>>
File: 4868.png (20 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
4868.png
20 KB, 480x480
>>28906521

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFoqjfpFMPo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJ8gyKDrIs0&index=45&list=PLKPqcmrIyVNDsDeGdsmXua6ezefJkTI1J
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ObMF2Rcexs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMgkt9jdjTU

-T. College STEMlord
>>
OP here, now that I really think about it, anyone overtly into one genre of music that I've met is a shit head. It's not exclusive to rap, it's just that rap is what's popular right now, so there are more of the people only into it around. Also I never claimed to not be fucking stupid myself, anyone in their right mind who isn't dumb as dirt wouldn't be on this board.
>>
>>28911113

lmao @ ur """life"""

you are, always have, and always will be a living meme
>>
>>28910984
>implying that's not what he's already been doing
>>
what's up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU_RcLiT_fg&feature=share
>>
>at event working with highschool kids, delivering hotdogs and burgers to the stands
>keep hearing rap drone on
>you guys....only listen to rap? is it your favorite music or something?
>they get embarrassed and actually change it
>never hear another rap song while I'm there
top kek
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.