[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is there any serious and convincing reason not to commit suicide
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: 1464442293980.jpg (62 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1464442293980.jpg
62 KB, 500x500
is there any serious and convincing reason not to commit suicide if youre miserable at this moment ?
>>
>>28900125
Read Camus' book about your own pic related. Takes a while to process, but the argument works.
>>
>>28900125
It could get better. Emphasis on could.
>>
>>28900293
He doesn't even make an argument, he just insists we have to pretend Sisyphus is happy because...just because.
>>
maybe you'll feel better later
>>
>>28900125
There is no reason to do anything ever. Finding a reason good is subjective.

>>28900293
98% of the so-called philosophy can only make you retarded. I still can't get the sheer confusion of that 'belief in free will is like replying "I'll wait and see" to being asked what one would like for dinner' idiocy off my mind after reading it once.
>>
Yes. Because you only get to experience things currently. Once you're dead you no longer ever experience anything.

Besides, one cannot appreciate the notion of happiness without experiencing soul-crippling-levels-of-suffering. Look at the bright side =]
>>
>>28900317
No, he really does. He said we must imagine Sisyphus happy in his defiance to the inevitable absurdity that is his task's ultimate futility.
There is no reason or meaning to life, it is totally pointless, but we should be defiant of this fact. We should continue to live with the ironic detachment that everything we do in our lives will be insignificant, and live more rashfully because of this. Our heightened self-awareness makes us more open to experiences, while simultaneously decreasing the level of seriousness that we would typically have in any context.
It worked for me, but I guess some people need a meaning or purpose in order to live.
>>
>>28900412
>all these non-following 'shoulds'
>>
>>28900412
His defiance just seems like denial to me.
>>
>>28900428
>implying people would do something without the knowledge required to do said thing
>implying everyone has read/accepts Camus' theory
>hence 'should'
>>
>>28900125
death is a one-way trip
you go there eventually anyways, why not see as much as possible in life before you pass on?
>>
>>28900442
It's the complete opposite. To live in denial of futility makes everything else he said a moot point. We can only live a truly happy life if we are in full acceptance of the fact that we are totally insignificant.
>>
>>28900479
>why not see as much as possible in life before you pass on?

why bother if you get next to nothing out of it in this life, and absolutely nothing out of it in the 'next'?
>>
>>28900480
>We can only live a truly happy life if we are in full acceptance of the fact that we are totally insignificant.

Another non-sequitur, arbitrary 'ima define "true happiness" as some highly specific, highly arbitrary position in life'. It is exactly as warranted as me saying that 'true happiness' is liking looking at cats.

It's a pity that people with such a weak grasp on their minds get published and read.
>>
>>28900500
99.9% of all so-called intelectuals are guilty of that, though, it's not him personally.
>>
>>28900500 >>28900517
Oh, and if you want me to reply to OP to show my own position, the obvious answer is, as I said, that the only meaningful questions are about physical facts. OP can only ask 'what will happen after I kill myself', after which we provide likely answers, to the effect of informing him and shaping his priorities and eventual decision.
>>
>>28900500
It's not so much a highly-specific definition like "looking at cats", any more than it is a medium of gaining the most enjoyment out of life in pretty much every conceivable context.
Believe me, i'm not doing Camus' any justice, and my English isn't well enough to reason abstract concepts without sounding like a fucking moron. Is there any chance that you're a swede?
>>
>>28900564
I life across the pond from Sweden, so I have a slight idea of the language, but, no. What made you think that?
>>
>>28900596
Nothing, just thought we could take the discussion into Swedish because I speak it better than English.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.