[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
if the creator of our universe gave us free will, does that mean
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: 1436346216773.jpg (680 KB, 2903x4354) Image search: [Google]
1436346216773.jpg
680 KB, 2903x4354
if the creator of our universe gave us free will, does that mean not even the creator knows what we will do?
>>
There is no "creator" if he created us why not just make us perfect?
>>
Our free will is only superficial.

Every event that has happened or will happened was determined at the big bang, or whenever the universe began. There is a practically infinite chain of causality stretching back to that point, with every single event, down to two molecules of oxygen hitting each other, was caused by all prior events, and helps determine all future events.

Think about it. If you knew all possible information in the universe (the positions and trajectories of every atom, subatomic particle, quanta of energy), then you'd be able to predict all future events, like you can tell a tennis ball is going to hit the ground when someone drops it.
>>
>>28896853

you're glibly dismissing the possibility that there exists an unjust, evil god. You're presuming to know god based upon human traditional scripts of what god is like, which are generally held up to the characteristics of good, all-knowing, all-powerful.

In other words, you're assuming something that the OP didn't write, although it's implicated in the human tradition of discussing these things.

It is not difficult to imagine that a god could create a pocket universe complex enough such that its relevant actors (humans, say) have free will. they can choose what to do in the thing, and depending how they do, the god may decide to be pleasant or unpleasant towards them.

In short, the establishment of free will does not in and of itself necessitate that some god doesn't know what we'll do next. Think of it this way, in a cruder sense: god sets up the model, runs it once (in his "sandbox", say) and records exactly what takes place. he's god though, maybe he tweaks or edits something. do you know why the speed of light is exactly what it is? do you know why there is gravity? that type of thing.

In other words, the short answer to OP's question is:no, that doesn't follow. However, the question and my suggested answer are closely related to some stupidly contradictory notions of predistination versus free will, which are found in mainstream islam and christianity. and yet these stupid (to me) notions are basically what I've just suggested. Islam is at pains to reconcile predestination with free will.

the whole thing that humans like to talk about is squishy, and complex. people dislike the simpler (more likely) alternatives: either god doesn't exist, or he is unjust.
>>
>>28896853
Because God isn't benevolent. Look up the Book of Job in the Bible:

>God and Satan hanging out one day
>Satan: You know that guy Job? I bet I can fuck up his life so bad that he starts hating you.
>God: Ok, go for it.
>Satan kills Job's children, destroys his house, and makes him extremely sick
>Job's friends all turn on him because they think he did something bad to cause God to be angry
>Job: I don't deserve this, God! I demand to know why you did this.
>God: I'm sorry, were you there when I created everything? No? Then shut up.
>Job: Sorry
>God: Ok, here's some new kids.

God is not a nice guy, and the evil that Satan does is done only with God's permission.
>>
>>28896823
god is le epic testing us xd

we can do whatever we want we have free wil but he is testing us xdddd

so bettter be nice and go to heaven
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.