[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The internet has always had a disproportionately high number
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: 1432592665928.jpg (74 KB, 587x384) Image search: [Google]
1432592665928.jpg
74 KB, 587x384
The internet has always had a disproportionately high number of introverts. It's obvious when you think about it: there's a self-selection bias because the people most likely to be spending their time alone with their computers are also likely to be introverted. The growth of the internet has enabled many introverts to expand their horizons with respect to their communication with others, in addition to facilitating forms of expression and discourse barely possible for them in the real world, including, naturally, discussion regarding introversion and being introverted. This discussion is great because it allows introverts to talk honestly, share experiences, and relate to others when there may not be anyone in their daily life they can do this for. However, over time, introversion seems to have been glorified by certain posters online and now I think I'm seeing people going out of their way to bring up their introversion or being especially hyperbolic about their introversion. I can understand why people may think identifying as introverted would desirable: the term is commonly associated with introspection, thoughtfulness, reflection, etc., so the connotations linked with the term, in conjunction with just how readily I've seen the word used (especially within the past year or two) has led me to suspect that many people online aren't quite as introverted as they claim. I could be totally wrong and everyone I interact with online is genuinely so introverted they've never left their house and because - basically, by definition - I've never met anyone like that, I've assumed they don't exist. I doubt it, though, and I think on average people tend to overestimate their level of introversion.
>>
Do you agree, /r9k/, that in general people online aren't as introverted as they'd like you to believe? Do you think people exaggerate intentionally to gain some of cred/acceptance, or do you think people are kind of subconsciously influenced by their awareness of introversion as a status symbol/meme and genuinely think of themselves as more introverted than they are?
>>
Thoughtful post. You must be a true introvert.
>>
>>28891698
yes
humanity wouldn't be able to sustain itself if the sheer quantity of 4chan posters were as pathetic as they make themselves out to be
>>
>>28891741
I can't tell if you're being serious or not. I wasn't trying to prove anything about myself; it's a genuine question.
>>
People I speak with outside say they're introverted but it's kinda easy to tell they aren't and just want some hours of alone time

some of my acquaintances and I go months without speaking to other people. I wish I enjoyed being around other people for more than 2 minutes but fucking Christ does it just feel weird.
>>
so many people confuse shy and introvert...

for example, I'm a shy extrovert that wants to socialize but is too afraid to
>>
>>28891763
I think a tiny minority of them actually are, but a great deal of it can be put down to self-pity, self-hatred, or trying to fit in, or exaggerating to get responses.

>>28892272
Yes, exactly. I'm introverted, but I wouldn't describe myself as shy, so it works both ways. I think because they're so frequently confused, anyone who identifies as one will probably end up identifying as the other, even though it may not apply.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.