[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
There's a library about a 10 minute walk from where I live
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (138 KB, 427x283) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
138 KB, 427x283
There's a library about a 10 minute walk from where I live and I'm thinking about applying for a job there. Has anyone here worked at a library? What did you do? What should I expect?
>>
pretty sure you need a special qualification to be a librarian bro
>>
>>28889435
There are people other than librarians that work at libraries.
>>
>>28889459
where are you in the world?
Libraries are prime budget fat for authorities, nowadays most librarys hardly have any librarians in them, let alone extra staff
>>
>>28889435
What kind of qualifications?
Also what >>28889459 said, I'll probably just work at the consession stand or something, this isn't going to be some huge job but I don't want to work in retail if I don't have to. Plus a job anywhere else would require me to ask my parents to borrow the car, and I sit on my ass all day so the little walks to and from my house would do me some good.
>>
>>28889459

Now imagine how many people want to work at libraries and how many jobs there are available.

You have no library qualifications, no experience, and obviously have no connections to get a job at one.
>>
>>28889529
>What kind of qualifications?
A degree, and then a postgraduate degree in being a librarian
>>
>>28889435
There's always volunteer work, although it's nothing like the "job" OP expects it to be. It'll sum up to doing various helpful tasks around the facility, such as shelving and re-shelving books, helping patrons find materials, and things of that nature. They won't pay you a single smooth nickel, but if the experience is mutually-beneficial you'll have something to put on your resume.

>>28889529

It's something you have to go to school and specifically study towards. I wouldn't go so far as to do that, though. The overall public usage of libraries is at an all-time low, and librarianism as a career will undoubtedly begin to phase out altogether within the next several years (sadly).
>>
>>28889529
Oh also I like the qt shy library girls that read books so maybe I can date one of them. Not getting my hopes up of course because I'm a robot but that would be the place to meet them.

>>28889522
That's unfortunate to hear. I'm still probably going to apply anyway because it can't hurt, right? Anyway my library is acutally decently staffed the times when I go for my finals tutoring, so that's kinda nice.
>>
>>28889617

My wife works in a library. People like you go there every single week and try to apply. There are no jobs for you.
>>
>>28889611
Yeah, not interested in going full career mode on this, and I am looking to save up for stuff, but you're probably right about the volunteer work being good on a resume.
>>
>>28889617
>qt shy library girls
nowadays the only people that go to public libraries to read books are homeless
>>
>>28889670

>abject nonsense

Why do you bother posting?
>>
Oh I also forgot to mention that the library isn't really dying because it's right next to a charter high school, so people go there for homework and to hang out. I think that's probably why they still have more than a few staff working there.
>>
>>28889733
>someone who's never been to a public library
It's just homeless people using the computers and trying to stay warm.
I'm all for keeping the libraries open, but that's going on in there these days, along with groups to palm off children to for a few hours.
>>
>>28889387
i would offer my insight being as i work at a library but the one i work at is uhm.... different to yours i should think
>>
>>28889782
I go to my local library often. Some homeless but lots of students. I would say 60% of the 50 people in the library are students. Its a small library in a big city
>>
>>28889807
What?

Botbloxxxxxxx
>>
>>28889387
i shelved books at a public library when i was in high school. i mean it was kind of a gay job but now i know the names of authors who wrote certain classics even though i don't read. it has not come in handy.
>>
>>28889979
Yeah it's probably not going to help me in life by getting a valuable skill, but it's a job and I don't have to wait in traffic, you know?
>>
>>28889782

I'm >>28889650

Library patrons are mostly split between pensioners, boomers, parents with kids, and weirdo social misfits who do annoying shit like insist on reserving 50 books a day on whatever subject their autism has them obsessed with at the time or sitting there for hours using the wifi - which they complain bitterly about despite being too cheap to simply get their own installed at home.

You're full of shit. Stop posting.
>>
>>28890021
yeah it's nice in that you don't have to talk to anyone, just put things in order. it's a nice little task.
>>
File: arnold_angry-400x224[1].jpg (16 KB, 400x224) Image search: [Google]
arnold_angry-400x224[1].jpg
16 KB, 400x224
>>28890071
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT LIBRARIES
>>
>>28890175

>getting this mad after you got BTFO
>>
>>28890071
>Library patrons are mostly split between pensioners, boomers, parents with kids, and weirdo social misfits who do annoying shit like insist on reserving 50 books a day on whatever subject their autism has them obsessed with at the time or sitting there for hours using the wifi - which they complain bitterly about despite being too cheap to simply get their own installed at home.

Don't forget the swaths of Chinese kids occupying 90% or better of the library computers, either browsing Newgrounds or playing Runescape (or both)
>>
>>28890204
huh? no i'm not that other homo, i don't care about what libraries are like. my post was meant to lampoon how much the two of you care about what libraries are like.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.