[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've had my computer for almost 4 years now, she's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 7
File: 1463791458351.gif (548 KB, 274x351) Image search: [Google]
1463791458351.gif
548 KB, 274x351
I've had my computer for almost 4 years now, she's served me well but...
I haven't cleaned or dusted her at all in the last four years aside from wiping down the intake fans.

How do I dust off the inside without fucking my shit up? I know that you have to take the case off and go at it with a thing of canned air, but i don't wanna risk fucking up my computer.

I figured I'd ask r9k since you guys seem to take care of everything else but yourselves.
>>
File: 1463474104061.jpg (6 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
1463474104061.jpg
6 KB, 225x225
It's really not hard anon

>buy can of air
>unscrew side panels
>unleash air
>remove dust with air
>???
>profit

Protip: Use a pencil to hold a fan in place while spraying it with the air. If you don't hold it the air can make it go round faster than it was designed for, which can fuck it up
>>
Disconnect all of the power.

Don't hold the canned air too close to any surface.

You can use a qtip to get dust out of internal fans but don't rotate them
>>
>>28881285
>fans designed for 1800 RPMs or higher
>literally thinking you can make the fan go faster than 30 rotations per second
Is this /g/?
>>
File: 1457380041707.jpg (79 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1457380041707.jpg
79 KB, 800x800
>>28881312
Are you retarded? It depends on the fan, the pressure of the air in the container, and the density of the air being released. I'm not saying it WILL fuck the fan up, but it is definitely possible, and it's best to err on the side of caution.
>>
>>28881285
Thanks for your input!
Would it be okay if I used a Qtip instead of a pencil though?

>>28881292
When you say disconnect all the power, do you include the speakers/etc?
Should I just unplug the whole powerstrip?

>>28881312
>>28881364
Honestly, I'd like to err on the side of caution too, since I don't wanna risk my computer's death.
>>
File: 1463593611254.jpg (270 KB, 547x820) Image search: [Google]
1463593611254.jpg
270 KB, 547x820
>>28881404
>Would it be okay if I used a Qtip instead of a pencil though?
Sure, anything that holds the fan in place, stopping it moving, is fine. Another thing: Don't bother trying to dust off small chips or components with qtips, they take forever and it's not worth it. Use the compressed air. Also, make sure you buy compressed air designed for PC cleaning, a lot of compressed air has a high water concentration which you should avoid for obvious reasons. Clean it in a large, well ventilated room with lots of free airflow, and don't even think about going near it with a vacuum cleaner. Clean it while it's standing up, as opposed to laying on its side, so nothing can fall inside. On my first time cleaning a PC I laid it on its side and halfway through a sweatdrop fell off my head and landed inside the case. I was incredibly lucky that it missed all the components.
>>
>>28881404
>When you say disconnect all the power, do you include the speakers/etc?
>Should I just unplug the whole powerstrip?
Disconnect your computer from absolutely everything, including USB ports. Switch it off at the power supply then remove the power supply lead.
>>
File: e4e8033e8158ec9c01d6ee41b5290df7.jpg (471 KB, 1421x2040) Image search: [Google]
e4e8033e8158ec9c01d6ee41b5290df7.jpg
471 KB, 1421x2040
>>28881530
I read you loud and clear then, I'll clean off my desk (and finally untangle all those goddamn wires) before I start blowing air into the fan.
I'm still a little nervous doing this, but I feel a little better with some knowledge on the subject. I'll do some of my own research too, and then I'll feel prepared to do this.

Thank you anon!

>>28881595
Alright, I'll take away all the wires and stuff hooked up to it.
I'll leave the tower the only thing sitting on the desk, nothing more and nothing less.

What about the risk of static electricity? I have a tiled floor so I don't have to worry too much about carpets or building a charge.
>>
>>28881595
yes usually even if you turn the pc off some power will still be travelling through it because it is hooked up. I recommend completely unplugging it so you don't make any mistakes.
When doping things with PCs it better to be overly cautious.
>>
>>28881638
>What about the risk of static electricity? I have a tiled floor so I don't have to worry too much about carpets or building a charge.
You should be fine, but you can build several thousand volts of static just from walking around (although obviously carpeted floors are worse). The biggest risk you take when you open up your PC is exposing the components to ESD (electrostatic discharge), so make sure to be very careful when you're inside there. Don't touch anything at all with your fingers, use the compressed air to blow the dust away and qtips if the air can't reach. Try to avoid touching the components soldered onto your graphics card or motherboard, even with the qtips. Also, if you have any pets, make sure they're well away from you during the cleaning process. Dogs and especially cats will carry several kilovolts on them at all times, which will instantly annihilate your components.
>>
I suggest purchasing a fishtank that can hold your computer. Fill it with mineral oil, and place your components inside. It will run like a champ! No more dusting needed!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pqGgHhvke0
>>
>>28881716
Alright thanks, I'll be sure not to mess with any soldered bits!
I'll do it later today, hopefully everything goes well.

Thank you all for your help, I hope today treats you guys well.
>>
>>28881802
Thanks anon, it was a pleasure. One last note: If you're really worried about static, you can buy an ESD protection strap. It's a wrist strap with a wire and resistor attached, and you attach the other end of the wire to a ground (a radiator for example). This ensures your electric potential is always at 0V, so you're unable to damage stuff with ESD.
>>
>>28881638
Just touch something metal (like the case) to ground yourself before you touch anything.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.