[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who /no free will here/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: Crosby Stills and Nash.jpg (123 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Crosby Stills and Nash.jpg
123 KB, 1280x720
>2016

>Unironically still being a believer in libertarian free will

It's an incoherent idea.

And compatibilism is at best a word game and at worst simple sadism.

"Free will" is like the Abrahamic conception of God. People say you need it to give life meaning, or to be good, or to make it worth it to get out of bed in the morning.

I don't see it that way at all.
>>
>>28879114
>dude just make a decision LMAO
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zWow4LzDVY
>>
>>28879373

I also want to add...

the music for this presentation is incredibly comfy.
>>
>>28879114
>"Free will" is like the Abrahamic conception of God. People say you need it to give life meaning, or to be good, or to make it worth it to get out of bed in the morning.
that's wrong though

why should i take the premise of this thread seriously when you demonstrate in a related question that you don't know what you're talking about

i shouldn't
>>
>>28879398

How is it wrong?

A lot of people say you need Yahweh to be happy, to be a good person, or to make life worthwhile.

People say the same thing about libertarian free will.

It's true.

you want that I should go digging up examples or something?
>>
>>28879114

Assuming that free will doesn't exist is equivalent to assuming that our scientific knowledge is perfect in the areas related to it. Anyone who knows anything about science knows that this is absurd. Yes, free will seems impossible without appealing to spiritual beliefs according to our current understanding of physics but that's no reason to think that we won't discover something that makes free will possible.

In any case, in the subjective experience, it certainly feels like we have free will and believing that your decisions and actions affect your reality is vitally important to living a happy life. When you decide that everything is out of your control, it's just a short step to deciding that there's no point in making any effort because it's all predetermined anyway.
>>
>>28879669
Determinism and predeterminism are not the same thing. Take a theoretical dice that when rolled gives us 1 of 6 results, each with equal probability and whose result is decided entirely by chance. The results of the dice are determined because they must be the numbers 1-6. They are not predetermined because we assumed that its results are based on chance alone. You cannot guess the result of this dice roll, but you can be sure by the above assumptions that it will not be the number 7 for example.
>>
>>28879669

>it certainly feels like we have free will

It feels like we have libertarian free will, you mean?

Because if so, I don't feel that way. I've never felt that way.
>>
if you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnxkfLe4G74
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.