[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
who else fell for the post-secondary meme? >work hard in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
File: 1454109999058.png (40 KB, 750x816) Image search: [Google]
1454109999058.png
40 KB, 750x816
who else fell for the post-secondary meme?

>work hard in college
>surround myself with the top students in the class
>maintain a GPA above 4
>do this for 3 terms
>time for the industry term
>school is supposed to set us up with work
>write tons of cover letters/resumes
>get 2 interviews, blow them both
>nothing else back
>all my peers got jobs, even the one who is literally a manchild
>school doesn't have anymore job offers. gotta wait till next year or find work on my own

I feel like it's my fault but I don't know where I went wrong
>>
>>28868026
>maintain a GPA above 4
>>
File: 1425155998020.jpg (13 KB, 380x392) Image search: [Google]
1425155998020.jpg
13 KB, 380x392
>school is supposed to set us up with work
>write tons of cover letters/resumes
>get 2 interviews, blow them both
>I feel like it's my fault but I don't know where I went wrong

You went into it expecting the school (other people) to get shit done for you. How much initiative did you take when in school when it came to networking opportunities (helping professors with research, attending relevant conferences, speaking with academic supervisors about more than just what classes you need to take next semester, etc). The job market sucks for a lot of people, since a sizeable chunk of undergraduate degrees (even some STEM) are nothing but glorified stepping stones since certain positions and licenses/certifications require graduate degrees. Also, throwing in the towel after bombing 2 interviews is pretty weak.

I earned my Bachelors and Masters degrees in stupidly overcrowded and flooded lefty fields and live in a part of the US where I have to compete with tons of people who are objectively more charismatic and socially graceful than I am, but I managed to land a decent job with career growth.

I guess I could suggest reformatting your resume/CV as well.
>>
>>28868138

Edit: I just re-read your post, OP. Ion first read, I misread it thinking that you graduated and couldn't get a job. Could you elaborate on the whole "school is supposed to get us work" part?

I mean, does your school have partnerships with certain companies/agencies/etc that tend to reserve spots for people in your program? Also, what is your field/degree?
>>
>>28868138
>I earned my Bachelors and Masters degrees in stupidly overcrowded and flooded lefty fields and live in a part of the US where I have to compete with tons of people who are objectively more charismatic and socially graceful than I am, but I managed to land a decent job with career growth

Please tell us more. What was your major and what field do you work in?
>>
>>28868178
>Could you elaborate on the whole "school is supposed to get us work" part?

The school does a co-op term where corporations look for students to hire as a credit, and then you have to apply for it while still competing with the rest of your class. they get positions over the span of a few months, and you're supposed to apply to them as they come. I applied to every one, attended a few interview/resume writing seminars, and had a good relationship with my co-op coordinator, but it still backfired.

>Also, throwing in the towel after bombing 2 interviews is pretty weak.
I know what you're saying and I agree, but it didn't go down that way. of the 15 or so jobs I applied for, only 2 asked to see me. I can only assume it was an issue of too many students, not enough work. I'm currently working outside my field to pay the bills but it's hard to find something better when I'm not even technically done the course (no degree)
>>
>>28868264

>BA in Psychology
>Masters in Counseling
>Licensed as a Mental Health Counselor in my field
>Work in the greater NYC area

On one hand the area has plenty of facilities/agencies/organizations with job and career opportunities, but on the other hand there are simply so many people to compete with over even entry-level jobs and some that require lesser qualifications. Once I get my next (and final) stage of licensure, I'm getting reciprocity in another state and moving to benefit from less competition and lower cost of living.

That being said, I've always been socially awkward and have an incredible difficulty opening up to people. With enough practice around people during fieldwork (getting internships was a royal pain in the ass due to how fucking awkward I was), I gradually became more confident in my abilities. Going on lots of interviews also helped.

If a robotic sperg like me can get a job and actually make it work, especially in a field where I'm 99.9% sure none of my colleagues have my personality type, I feel anyone can do it.

Like I said, the market sucks for a lot of people and the interview process can be pretty demoralizing, but blowing 2 interviews isn't the end. I'm sure there are plenty of other unlucky people who can't even manage to get that far.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.