[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Suffering
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: Few_321f14_5496152.jpg (99 KB, 600x778) Image search: [Google]
Few_321f14_5496152.jpg
99 KB, 600x778
What do robots think of the following:

life is suffering i.e., life includes pain, getting old, disease, and ultimately death. We also endure psychological suffering like loneliness frustration, fear, embarrassment, disappointment and anger. This is an irrefutable fact that cannot be denied. It is realistic rather than pessimistic because pessimism is expecting things to be bad.

suffering is caused by craving and aversion. We will suffer if we expect other people to conform to our expectation, if we want others to like us, if we do not get something we want,etc. In other words, getting what you want does not guarantee happiness. Rather than constantly struggling to get what you want, try to modify your wanting. Wanting deprives us of contentment and happiness.

suffering can be overcome and happiness can be attained; that true happiness and contentment are possible. lf we give up useless craving and learn to live each day at a time (not dwelling in the past or the imagined future) then we can become happy and free.
>>
Suffering and happiness do not exist. Any notion of them and any claim which makes use of those is nonsense. Only the brain exists. It's meaningless for me to say that I'm happy: I can only say that my brain has released an amount of chemical x. There is no such thing as 'attainment of happiness' or 'overcoming suffering' any more than 'attainment of being an unicorn' or 'overcoming being a goblin'.
>>
>>28860519
I get where you're coming from and I can't say that you are objectively wrong but living your life in complete objectivity like that is unfulfilling and frankly boring as shit. Why are you allowing your mindset to be dictated by facts and reality? There is no inherent value in rejecting everything that cannot be scientifically proven, because you cannot prove that there is.
>>
>>28860519
You cannot deny that you feel frustration, loneliness, happiness, even though they are chemicals. It doesn't get you anywhere, practically.
If faced with the idea that only the brain exists, everything is pointless and posting here, arguing about it... everything. The idea that robots exist is pointless.
>>
>>28860611
>living your life in complete objectivity like that is unfulfilling and frankly boring as shit

This is a double error of not only implying existence of being unhappy (with such a life) but also objectivizing it (that it is objectively bad).

Now to the OP.

>>28860470
First, 'overcoming waiting' is impossible. We will always want something. We can just become more aware of our desires, which is what you referred to but possibly chose not to say.

Second, becoming more aware of one's wanting affects our drive to pursue it. The more we are aware of our desires, the less likely we are to actually pursue them. This affects the society at large because only pursuit of materialistic desires and envy results in learning about the world so to realize them, e.g. via more effective production, life prolongation, etc. This indirectly leads to scientific and medical and other findings.

Third, you are going to justify your recommendation by saying that suppressing desire should only done 'in moderation', which is a tautological recommendation that 'you should only reject desire to the right, proper, degree'. 'Right' and 'proper' being context-dependent, this disclaimer is banal, unfalsifiable, and only hopes to naively deflect rightful mention of the objective consequences of suppressing drive (of you issuing that recommendation).

(Continued.)
>>
>>28860989
>>28860470
Fourth, you are going to appeal to free will, saying that we should realize when suppression of desire endangers our drive and counteract it ourselves. This, implying that it is possible to notice things out of thin air, is a shift of responsibility for the consequences of one's recommendation onto the recipient, insisting that 'the advice was good, it was just misused, whereas you had the power to think about it and use it right'.

Fifth, you are going to accuse me of rejection of responsibility for my rejection of free will, not realizing that it is the only way for me to avoid blaming other people for their suffering, leading me to devise ways in which to alleviate them on the level of nurture and nature.

Sixth, you are going to accuse me of autism for this post, which hurts autistic people by ridiculing their condition, as well as legitimizes figurative language, which enables denial of personal responsibility ('it was just a figure of speech!' continuing to be considered a valid defence rather than a deviation).

Fucking Buddhist filth.
>>
>>28860811
>You cannot deny that you feel frustration, loneliness, happiness, even though they are chemicals.

Yes I can. I never feel anything.

>It doesn't get you anywhere, practically.

It keeps me from using an imaginary concept in my words. You're guilty of objectifying your belief that it is 'objectively impractical'.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.