[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>he believes in the free will meme >he thinks people's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 10
File: kek.jpg (552 KB, 886x1002) Image search: [Google]
kek.jpg
552 KB, 886x1002
>he believes in the free will meme
>he thinks people's behavior, personality, and ultimately their success in life aren't largely a result of their upbringing and genetics
>he thinks becoming an adult magically wipes your mental slate clean and lets you start life from scratch with no memory of childhood abuse, negligence, or alienation, thus absolving your parents of all blame
>he believes in the Just-World fallacy to avoid having to empathize with good people who've simply been dealt a shitty hand in life, and to feel proud of things in his own life that he didn't really do much to achieve
>he brings up the fallacy of relative privation as though African kids don't have far healthier mental states and social lives than robots do, despite lacking in basic needs
>he thinks the formative years is just a rock band
>he comes to /r9k/ to bully genetically-fucked, mentally-ill losers who have no friends and hate themselves just to make himself feel superior
>>
i agree with all of that but still "welp no free will cant do anything about my situation" isnt a good attitude
ultimately only you can pull yourself out of your misery
>>
>>28839267
Bumping an important message
>>
Also bumping for OP
>>
File: sngls.png (144 KB, 1000x963) Image search: [Google]
sngls.png
144 KB, 1000x963
>>28839267

OP is right, shame the normalfags will never admit to it.
>>
>>28839267
ITT: normalfags slinging insults at OP because that's the only 'counterargument' they have

Good job, OP. I like when the original post /threads the thread.
>>
>>28839319
'I agree with all of that, except I also explicitly agreed with "[...] the Just-World fallacy".'

You fucked up.
>>
>>28839820
I see no normalfags ITT. Just you bitching for no reason. I agree with OP just like everyone else does though. Normalfags seem to get weirdly uncomfortable about not having free will.
>>
>>28839848
>I see no normalfags ITT.

It was prospective. They will come.
>>
can we all agree that schopenhauer was the OG robot?
>>
>>28839820
>ITT: normalfags slinging insults at OP because that's the only 'counterargument' they have
There is no argument to counter though. It's just
>You're laughable because you believe this
>>
>Not forcing yourself to succeed in life just to spite the universe
>>
>>28839982
Except there are plenty of counterarguments for you to make.
>argue that people's behavior, personality, and ultimately their success in life are not largely a result of their upbringing and genetics, and are actually things they have control over
>argue that becoming an adult absolves your parents from responsibility for how you turn out because you are now independant from them and make your own decisions
>argue that only bad, lazy people fail in life because failure is their fault and their choice
>argue that the fallacy of relative privation isn't a fallacy at all and is a legitimate argument to invoke
>etc.

You literally just take the points in the OP and make your claim as to why you think they're wrong and why your opposing stance is true. This is how argumentation works. Don't give me this "There is no argument to counter" bullshit because that's woefully incorrect and makes you look like an idiot.
>>
>>28840342
Kek, this is a good way of thinking about it. Thanks, anon.
>>
>>28840342
>not killing yourself and getting cremated to avoid giving anything back to the universe
>>
>>28839267
I mean free will doesn't even matter. All that matters is being free from the direct control of other people. You can't make me do anything no matter how much you will it so therefore I am free form your control and a free entity relative to you. You are right about the other stuff but I think it's important to note that you can be free without having free will.
>>
File: 1457819427289.webm (410 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1457819427289.webm
410 KB, 400x400
>>28839267

video related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46fkd7BsYZM&i
>>
>>28839267

>Not getting that determinism STILL means you DO have CHOICE. [Cf. "The bondage of the will" & "the bondage and the liberation of the will"].
>Not getting that by denying yourself the feeling of Choice, you set yourself up for mauvaise foi and hence failure in life and for misery. [Cf. Sartre; Tillich's "Courage to be", Kierkegaard's "The concept of anxiety"].

Get rekt you stupid faggot.
>>
>>28839267

>he brings up the fallacy of relative privation as though African kids don't have far healthier mental states and social lives than robots do, despite lacking in basic needs

Which is why we should take away your neetbux and throw you in the street. He, who worries where to find the next loaf of bread and has to strive against starvation has no time to bitch about luxury problems like "Muh anxiety disorder" or "Mum only giving me a ps2 is muh negligence and abuse".

>he comes to /r9k/ to bully genetically-fucked, mentally-ill losers who have no friends and hate themselves just to make himself feel superior

As long as you refuse to change you deserve to be mocked, abused, ridiculed, hit and tortured, you little piece of shit. :-)

Be mad.
>>
>>28839267
>as though African kids don't have far healthier mental states and social lives than robots do

Holy shit, i can admit we have it bad but youre just a fucking faggot lmao
>>
>>28839267

If that makes you feel superior you must have low intelligence. First of all it's an instant gratification which does not help you in the long run, it probably wastes your time. Second of all being superior to /r9k/ means nothing, and if in your mind you think that because someone is worse than you then you don't need to improve yourself, then you have low intelligence.
>>
File: 1462237965623.png (593 KB, 1879x989) Image search: [Google]
1462237965623.png
593 KB, 1879x989
>>28842995
Here you go, faglord.
>>
>>28843304
>using your own shitty post as evidence

lmao @ ur life
>>
>>28843426
1) That's not my post.
2) That's not an argument.
Either come up with an actual counterargument or fuck off. Insulting me to cover up the fact that you have no counterargument to the points I've presented to you just makes you look like a moron. You can call me whatever names you want, just provide a logical, well-reasoned argument to go along with it.
>>
>>28843616

>spoonfeed me on why this pic is wrong

no
>>
>>28843616
I dont argue with retards like you
>>
>>28843654
I think the pic brings up a lot of good points with insightful reasoning and elaboration behind them and I agree with it. You're saying it's wrong without elaborating on why you think that and why it is you, and not me, who is correct.
>I believe X and this is why: A, B, C, etc.
>X is wrong.
>In what way is X wrong? Why do you think that?
>I-I'M NOT GOING TO SPOONFEED YOU!
That's not how an argument works. It's not spoonfeeding, it's backing up the claims that you yourself have made, you irrational, tantrum-throwing faggot.

>>28843655
So you're admitting you have absolutely no argument and now you're trying to weasel out of it to save face and soothe your bruised ego. That's really childish, you know that? You're stupid, embarrassing, and without an argument.
>>
>>28842694

>Determinism
>Choice

Literally mutually exclusive.
>>
>>28844630

>Literally mutually exclusive.

No they are not, as everyone who read a bit about the topic would know.

Read the books I recommended.
>>
>>28842777
>Muh anxiety disorder
>implying this isn't a debilitating mental illness that leaves people unable to talk to others or leave their homes and eventually drives them to suicide
lol
>>
>>28842694
Obviously we have choices...it's just that they have already been predetermined.

You typing this post telling people that they still have choices was a choice that you were always going to make at that exact time no matter what

Anyway, I hate determinism because its a philosophy that makes me feel like shit
>>
File: image.jpg (49 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49 KB, 500x500
>>28839267
Can someone explain to me in specifics how free will doesn't exist? I do believe that it doesn't exist but one time I was trying to tell a friend why it doesn't but I didn't really have anything concrete
>>
>>28846345
Your life is one big chain reaction of chemicals
>>
>>28846345
That must suck dude I couldn't imagine not being able to win an argument

I might be an ugly skinny manlet but I win all arguments, feelsgoodman
>>
>>28846345
It's because there's no easy answer. Yes we all have free will and we are responsable for our actions but a set of circumstances have been decided before we were ever born (social origin, skincolor, gender ...) and so in that sense we don't have free will.
It's a bit of both.
>>
>>28839267

Look everyone a determinist has escaped from the retard prison
>>
>>28846480
>determinist
Determinism is the patrician's belief though
>>
>>28846431
Alright thanks I'll keep this in mind next time it comes up
>>
File: philosophy.gif (44 KB, 576x713) Image search: [Google]
philosophy.gif
44 KB, 576x713
>>28846480

>Philosophers don't argue that microwaves have free will
>Don't argue that computers have free will
>don't argue that neural networks have freewill
>The laws of physics and the boundary conditions of every system is sufficient to conclude it does not have any will
>Except for humans
>Humans are special

Is it possible philosophers are just making up arguments so they don't feel bad?
>>
>>28846480
Look everyone, it's another retard who doesn't have an argument and just uses insults instead! Where is your c o u n t e r a r g u m e n t to the points I have raised?
>>
>>28839267
>he dissociates from his personal shortcomings by blaming them on his situation/genetic makeup instead of learning from them and improving himself
>even in his failure, he clings to his pride and diminishes the success of others
>he thinks that the unhappiness he feels from being an outcast worse than dying of starvation or living in a poor country where the people you love are constantly dying of various life-threatening circumstances.
>>
>>28846909
It's another "retard who can't depart from his ego and see things objectively" thread.
>>
>>28839267
>This wall of greentext.
Somebody is an aspie.
I am not going to pinpoint all of your mistakes and argue against each one, but free will does exist, and the more you exercise your free will, the less you are carried out by luck, it's like a muscle.
>>
File: squidward 2c.jpg (57 KB, 636x192) Image search: [Google]
squidward 2c.jpg
57 KB, 636x192
>>28847271
>"I am not even willing to read through your post and am not even going to attempt to counter your argument but will still blindly insist you are wrong! Also, I will call you autistic!"
>"Somehow this makes me the winner of this debate!"
Braindead fucking retard.
>>
Being able to take responsibility and being able to handle oneself without the (extensive) help of others are still valuable qualities, regardless of whether free will exists, merely because we perceive them as such.
>>
File: free will.gif (290 KB, 388x160) Image search: [Google]
free will.gif
290 KB, 388x160
>>28846345
Any action you take in this world, whether you realize it or not, is influenced almost directly by your past experiences and thoughts. It's a really abstract concept that I don't think I can properly articulate, but if you observe this domino gif for long enough, maybe you'll realize what I mean pham.

>>28846431
Family, location, first word, first thought, don't delude yourself for a second hon, there's no plausibility to assume that ANY of us are capable of even a second of free will in this world.

Walking, talking, animated wind-up dolls are what we are.
>>
>>28846480
Look everyone, a woman.
>>
>>28847982
*there's no plausible reason to assume

reee
>>
File: normies on r9k.jpg (1 MB, 3172x3324) Image search: [Google]
normies on r9k.jpg
1 MB, 3172x3324
>just world falacy

let tell you something you little omega shit
>>
>he tells rob to man up
>he says rob deserve what he gets for not trying hard enough

>>28843426
>lmao @ ur life

is this another /s4s/ eric maymai or do normalfags really say that?
>>
>>28849050

this is the least cancerous picture i've seen on here in a while

feels refreshing and cooling
>>
>>28849153
can't wait to see this on le reddit

god i fucking hate that site
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.