[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who /mispronounces anon/ here I've said anon as An -
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 2
File: Screenshot_2015-05-21-14-13-50.png (803 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-05-21-14-13-50.png
803 KB, 1080x1920
Who /mispronounces anon/ here

I've said anon as

An - such as "an apple"
In - such as "it is in"
So anon becomes a mix of those, sounding like AnIn
Kill me
>>
Are you Dutch?
That's the wrong vowel completely
I once heard someone pronounce 'OP' as a word rather than as letters
>>
>>28837283
In my head I say it like

An - like "an apple"
On- like "is it on?"
>>
>>28837283
The proper pronunciation is analogous to the Ancient Greek, whence it came to English, one.
>>
>>28837283
get your shit together Anin
>>
>>28837866
Correct.

>>28837283
Incorrect.

/thread
>>
>>28837283
I don't speak the word at all and I don't subvocalize when thinking or reading.
>>
>>28837866
This is the correct way to do it. Anyone who disagrees is autistic.
>>
It's Aye-non, autism if you say it a different way
>>
it's literally just the first part of the word "anonymous"
Like start saying that word as you normally would, and just stop when you hit the second N
>>
>>28837951
>t.meme
>>
>>28837980
If these cunts can't even pronounce "anon", how can you possibly expect them to say the full word properly?
>>
File: image.jpg (22 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22 KB, 300x225
>>28837977
That's the whay6 I say it.
>>
>>28837980
Incorrect. You change the pronunciation of the abbreviation to make it sound better. The only reason you disagree is that your autism makes you feel compelled to rigidly stick to rules even when the rules are shit.
>>
>>28837980
That's incorrect, because every single word in the English language when used, except the word at the end of question ends with the voice being in a low or neutral tone.

If you pronounce "anonymous", you'll notice that when you pronounce the second n your voice is in a higher tone than usual.
Therefore deriving the pronunciation of "anon" that way is incorrect.
>>
>>28838049
Yeah? Then how precisely does the pronunciation of "anonymous" change when truncated to "anon?"

It's clear that you're an expert on the subject, so enlighten the rest of us unwashed plebs.
>>
>>28838109
This Anon had it exactly right
>>28837866
It's pretty fucking obvious.
>>
>>28838123
That's exactly how the first part of "anonymous" is spelt. Are you a complete imbecile, or simply pretending to be one?
>>
>>28838146
*pronounced
>>
>>28838146
You said to say "anonymous"' except stop at the first n, which is a completely different, wrong, thing to do.
>>
>>28838109
>Yeah? Then how precisely does the pronunciation of "anonymous" change when truncated to "anon?"
The tone is wrong.

"anon" is pronounced ANon
"anonymous" is pronounced aNONymous

Capitals are here used to denote a higher pitch and lowercase signifies a neutral tone or a lower pitch.
>>
How do you pronounce the following boards?
>/gif/
>/co/
>/fa/
>/mu/
>/soc/
>>
>>28838179
>/gif/
Jiff, duh
>/co/
C.O.
>/fa/
Effayy
>/mu/
Lowercase Greek M
>/soc/
Socrates
>>
>>28838171
I never said that, that was the other anon's doing.

Looking at the statement a second time though, it does sound completely fucked up. It's the second "n" you stop on, not the first. "Ano" sounds like a fried Indian pastry or some shit. lol
>>
>>28838176
That's complete bulslhit. I have never heard anyone pronounce anon with the first syllable stressed.
>>
>>28838179
>/gif/
gif (hard g)

>/co/
coh

>/fa/
fay

>/mu/
mew

>/soc/
soak
>>
>>28838179
>/gif/
Giff (hard G)

>/co/
Co (as in the prefix, see also "coat")

>/fa/
Fah

>/mu/
Moo

>/soc/
Either "soc" as in "sock" or "soc" as in "social
>>
>>28838179
Gif (not jif)
Coe
Fah
Moo
Sock
>>
>>28838237
I am not talking about stressing here and I explicitly mentioned this, but the pitch of the syllable itself, relative to the others in the same word or sentence.

It's something you're generally not really consciously aware of, because it doesn't actually matter much in the English language.
Tonal mistakes don't impact the meaning of what you are saying.
>>
>>28838274
>not jif
Holy fuck. This anon gets it.
>>
>>28838318
You're a moron that needs to get his ears checked
>>
>>28837283
you would of done it differently?
>>
An as in animal
On as in onion
>>
>>28838330
Clearly it's pronounced ay-non (see also "Avon").
>>
>>28838179
>Gif with a long f
>co
>effay
>mew
>sock

And its pronounced ay non. If you say it any other way you deserve to be put in front of a shooting squad.
>>
>>28838346
Grab a brush and put on a little
>>
>>28838179
JIF
coe
eff ey
mew
saak
>>
>>28838328
Please elaborate on this.
Intonation is a significant part of any language.
Both within word boundaries and whole sentence.

Obviously the pitch changes are smaller within words to differentiate them from the pitch changes within a sentence.
>>
I hear it in my head as
Ayy
Nonn
But I'm from the South and we tend to front-load our .
>>
>>28838179
>>/gif/
Giff
>>/co/
Coh
>>/fa/
Effay
>>/mu/
Mew
>>/soc/
Sosh (as in socialize)
>>
>>28839835
>Sosh (as in socialize)
Ugh, get out
>>
Start saying anonymous. But stop. a non
>>
>>28839864
>implying that's not the only acceptable pronunciation
>>
>>28839883
It's 'sok' you fucking faggot kill yourself.
>>
An - as in Anus
On - as in "on my dick"
>>
>>28839910
suck my ass it's fucking sosh
>>
it's aynon
>>
>>28840043
This. Ai as in pAIn and on.
>>
>>28838179
>/gif/
gif (hard g)
>/co/
coh
>/fa/
fah
>/mu/
muh
>/soc/
sotsch

Am I retarded? I also always say Anon with a long A in my head
>>
>>28837925
Made me laugh, thanks anin
>>
>>28839883
>implying it's even an acceptable pronunciation to begin with

ffs
>>
>>28840011
no, the c only changes to a 'sh' sound when the i is added, and in the abbreviation it isn't, so it's sok.

soc - sok
soci - so-shi / so-si
>>
>>28838179
Jiff
Koh
Effay
Mew
Soash
>>
>>28838179
>/gif/
gif with a hard g
>/co/
koh
>/fa/
effay
>/mu/
moo
>/soc/
sok
>>
Instead of O P
I say awp
>>
>>28837283
people are retarded. especially americans, sorry but its true. i play online games and use rajy as my in game name, its an abbreviation for something. anyways like 90% of people pronounce in as ray - jay
where the fuck do these mouth breathers get the ray from?
>>
OP here, I realize this thread is probably dead but I realized a much better explanation is just
Canon
But anon
I'm not as stupid as you all are making me seem, I know how to say anonymous FeelsBadMan
>>
>>28841393

I pronounce it in Spanish
>>
>>28839835
Only right answer in the thread.
>>
I pronounce it
"Anne" as in the name and
"in"
>>
what is this fuckery
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.