[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who else unironically believes that we live in a simulation and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 9
File: 1444279138500.jpg (1 MB, 4160x5000) Image search: [Google]
1444279138500.jpg
1 MB, 4160x5000
Who else unironically believes that we live in a simulation and none of this is even real?
>>
I don't, but there's no significant evidence one way or the other, so feel free to do as you please.
>>
I'm pretty sure I'm the only sentient being in existence and projecting the entire universe out of my subconscious.

Either that or we're all part of a dreaming hive mind.
>>
>>28835855
I entertained the idea for a period several years ago. Matrix Warrior: Being the One by Jake Horsley is a great read on the topic.
>>
>>28835900
>we're all part of a dreaming hive mind.
I had an acid trip that was centered around this.
Basically god is all things big & small. God fraction himself off infinite times so he doesn't have to be lonely.
>>
Who else
>afraid to realize this is their only life and when they die they die. And they're literally a meaningless concious organism in space so they replace existential dread with fantasy here
>>
>>28835855
I don't have the schizotypal personality disorder, so I recognize this as a bunk product of a haywire brain.
>>
>>28836452
If anything, I'd be inclined to call that a cold comfort. The "nothingness" that is indeed the very fabric of the "real world" is transposed by the true nothingness of the void.

At least in theory.
>>
>>28835855
I'm amazed that more than just I feel the same. I've been battling for years with trying to convince myself the world is real but it's not working. I wonder what's causing this sort of thought process.
>>
>>28835855
It's likely we are.
But even then it wouldn't make this reality any less "real" since it's all any of us will ever know.
Either way just live your life in the universe you're in famalam
>>28835900
God I met the most self centred black girl who sounded just like you. Terminal special snowflake princess who thought the world revolved around her.
>>28836452
Living in fear of death is not life
>>28836627
Again, even if this world is simulated it's still "real" to us. There's about as much point bitching about the heat death of the universe.
>>
>>28836726
>self centred black girl
>Terminal special snowflake princess
sounds about right
>>
If nothing is real, then everything is real.

You need to have context. In order for something to be an illusion there has to be a reality, but there is only one reality.
>>
>>28835855
Honestly I don't even care, hell I would prefer to be a simulation. It means we are safe from any world ending disaster
>>
>>28835855
It's just a 21st century take on solipsism. Judging from your pic, you're using it as a convenient excuse to treat everyone else bad (they're fake, so it doesn't matter).
>>
File: wCeTbmj.jpg (39 KB, 960x768) Image search: [Google]
wCeTbmj.jpg
39 KB, 960x768
Reminded me of this one
>>
We never see the physical world. We see our mental impressions of what the world is. Thus, clearly, the world (that each of us is living in) is an illusion, run on an incredibly powerful computer: ones own mind.
>>
I cannot fathom a reason for simulating a bunch of autists like us
>>
>>28836853
Much easier to simulate cause their mental lives are very simple, and sky is hard to render, but robots never go outside.
>>
Personally I believe if this was the case and all of it was some kind of computer simulation we would have noticed flaws in the system by now, seemingly impossible occurrences that would tip us off to that possibility. Technology that complex would have bugs, and I think someone would have noticed them by this point. Unless our collective memories are wiped and programmed too every time there's a firmware update.
>>
>>28836285
why dont we just become one again?
>>
>>28837010
you're telling me you've never encountered bugs? sudden abnormalities in the behaviour of the people and their speech, random flashbacks and deja vus that you can't think through rationally, the list goes on.. what do you think all the mentally ill people are? schizos, bipolars, full-blown psychos? unfortunate individuals whose codes have encountered errors
>>
>>28837010
>>28837131
A possibly even better example: neuropsychology knows of plenty of situations where people are easily able to reconcile impossible events. Our brains simply "smooth over" them.
For example, change blindness means that any possible "glitch" has a good chance of being ignored if it only changes stuff at the periphery, or only details, but not the larger picture.

Check for example
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkrrVozZR2c

(AMA I'm a neuroscientist)
>>
>>28837131
It's evidence that the human brain is prone to abnormalities and chemical imbalances maybe, but I don't see it as an indicator that the world is being altered at a fundamental level. I'd have to see something that defies the laws of physics as we understand them, or that cannot be explained by normal science. I think this sort of belief tends toward solipsism, and the idea that a person's mind is essentially being held captive. It's an understandable fear, but wouldn't you find it more empowering to believe in free will and self-determinism?
>>
>>28837307
ah yess i love the AMA's from reddit :D

question1: Why did you become a neuroscientist?

question2: Can we make a computer with a human brain? :)
>>
>>28837371
>ah yess i love the AMA's from reddit :D
yes le reddit kek.

>question1: Why did you become a neuroscientist?
I guess because I'm fucking retarded and hate money and financial security.
Another true answer would be I just find human behavior fascinating, but psychology seems at times too intangible, so I went for something that's a bit easier to quantify.

>question2: Can we make a computer with a human brain? :)
The human brain is a computer. Do you mean, can we use a Von Neumann design implemented on silicone to emulate a human brain? (Probably, although we maybe never will because we're hopefully developing better frameworks and better hardware bases before we reach that level.)
>>
>>28835855
I believe that after I die my true self will step out of some kind of a pod, and someone will say me "Well, how was it? Was it a fun game?", and then I'll break down crying
>>
This is a simulation made from a God or singularity in consciousness which we are all a part of. Every single form of consciousness is god experiencing a dream simultaneously throughout all time and space as if it all already happened. When you die you will remember you are God, and that separation between people, lifeforms, even atoms is an illusion you manifested in one universe out of many. Everything possible has already happened, the actual nature of time is an illusion, reality is a dream a God would have, you are a lonely God.
>>
>>28837683
I think if this is all a kind of simulation it's probably something more sinister than that. A kind of study or elaborate test by a powerful entity that is advanced beyond our comprehension or at least one that deceives us extremely well. We're lab rats in a maze or subjects in some kind of merciless test. If this is a simulation, the beings controlling it are quite indifferent to our suffering and the brutal nature of this experiment. If I ever awaken from it, I would not be very happy with them.
>>
>>28836452
>fantasy is the only escape mechanism you have to cope with the inevitable, yet we only need it because we have it
2deep5me
>>
babby's first existential thought

solipsism is just narcissism.
>>
>>28838126
kys trip
>>
>>28838126
>solipsism is just narcissism
It's a self-centered philosophy to be sure, but not directly tied to ego. Only the self can truly be proven as "real" so it's not unreasonable to posit that others may be but personalities existing to keep one involved in what they are experiencing. I think it unlikely with so much creativity in the world, but it's not just an ego trip necessarily.
>>
File: fedoraprivilege.jpg (70 KB, 534x519) Image search: [Google]
fedoraprivilege.jpg
70 KB, 534x519
>dude, we live in the matrix lmao
>>
File: Akari_06.png (155 KB, 603x584) Image search: [Google]
Akari_06.png
155 KB, 603x584
>>28836801
You guys can read this r-right?
>>
>>28838575
what are you talking about? it's just a black background.
>>
I think that we have already died and what we're experiencing now is memories of our entire life released by the chemicals in our brain, from our perspective it seems like life is proceeding on as usual but it's actually happening in seconds and eventually we will catch up to the point in our stored memory where our real death actually occurs and then it's over.
>>
>>28838575
Of course I can, you are a figment of my imagination.
>>
>>28835855
No, and pressing this issue is meaningless.

>>28835900
We're all Azathoth here, senpai.
>>
>>28838776
I don't think the brain is able to process that much information in real-time few seconds with that much perfect detail in memory.
>>
>>28835855
you have depersonalization, anon
>>
>>28835900
No, you're thinking of Haruhi-chan.
>>
I think it would be super cool if we lived in a computer simulation

Isn't everything in the universe explainable by numbers anyways? and there are some elements in the universe that act differently when observed etc, pop in and out of existence
>>
>>28835855
Nice dubs.

The idea that I am the only real person in the universe and that everyone else is a phantom conjured by my mind, along with the rest of reality is something I've given some thought to.

Regardless of whether my life is a simulation, a dream, or real changes nothing though. If I learned of either the above, I'd still go to work tomorrow, because the rules don't change and I'd still need money etc.

It's an interesting, but minimally productive line of thought.
>>
>>28837131

Not him but...

I believe that all and everything exists, has ever existed and will exist in a single mass of being. I believe we are not really individuals, but all separate elements of a greater single thing; we are no more or less conscious than rocks, plants or stardust. Consciousness, time and all perception are illusions imposed by a necessary lack of understanding of our status and just as the white blood cell can't even begin to comprehend its part in the body as a whole neither can we understand our place in the universe.

Mental illnesses, experiences of deja vu/ presque vu, spiritual experiences and hallucinogenic episodes brought on by whatever means are the few times our understanding is opened up and our false sense of self destroyed as we begin to process the truth that nothing truly exists and all exists as one at the same time. Normally our brains filter this just as a resistor protects parts of a circuit from being damaged by too much current; occasionally this mechanism fails and we are able to experience reality unfiltered.
>>
We are made to produce energy and work, we are mere goyim for the aliens (beings) who created us.
>>
>>28839046
>Mental illnesses, experiences of deja vu/ presque vu, spiritual experiences and hallucinogenic episodes brought on by whatever means are the few times our understanding is opened up
no its because of the brain having a little mishap in processing information
>>
File: 1457731885255.gif (376 KB, 1200x666) Image search: [Google]
1457731885255.gif
376 KB, 1200x666
Based pepe 2.0
>>
>>28838575
C'mon, now. Surely if it were legit it would call you by name.
>>
>>28839133

Same difference.

Your brain's job is to make sense of what it perceives. For whatever reason sometimes it screws up and just gives you the raw, unfiltered data.
>>
>>28839197
this is not true, it would be the other way around.

The brain is a result of thousands of years of evolution. Of course it wants people to see what is really there so it can survive the best
>>
>>28838575
Tom, wake up.
>>
It's real in so far as we help the universe overcome the law of entropy.
>>
File: 1462737114853.jpg (15 KB, 236x236) Image search: [Google]
1462737114853.jpg
15 KB, 236x236
>>28835855
I like to believe I'm in a movie and all the bullshit I go through entertains the guests who are watching it. The thing is everything has an end, so you don't have to worry, there is a limit to how bad it can get.

Now, music!
>>
>5'5"
>4" dick
>cystenic acne
>shitskin

yea im sure this is just a prank of terrible taste. god cant be this cruel, someone strapped me on some virtual reality shit and is keeping me locked here
>>
>>28839224

No.

The brain evolves to disseminate only the useful information to satisfy the illusion of the ego. When you give up your sense of self either through mental illness or drug use and break down the brain's ability to function you begin to see existence for what it is. Just a broad, timeless and chaotic mess.
>>
>>28839415
>The brain evolves to disseminate only the useful information to satisfy the illusion of the ego
It evolved to keep you from getting killed/eaten/lost in the wilderness, like any other animal
>>
File: itsgettingcoldout.gif (513 KB, 525x539) Image search: [Google]
itsgettingcoldout.gif
513 KB, 525x539
>>28839434
>>28839415
>2 brains fighting over brains
>>
>>28839468
>implying we are not all one synthetic superbrain
>>
>>28839468
Piss off, brainster.
Heh.
>>
>>28838126
Nothing wrong with being a narcissist. Better than a self-hating cuck.
>>
>>28837683
There was a pasta that was exactly this.
>>
File: cosmic pepe.jpg (145 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
cosmic pepe.jpg
145 KB, 499x499
Just remember, even though this a simulation, you will be punished in the real universe for your crimes in this one.
>>
>>28839434

Yes, exactly.

By filtering out every bit of information the universe contains other than the useful bits.

Chomping mescaline while naked in the desert is the perfect way to relinquish your restrictions on perception and gain deeper understanding. It's also a great way to die of hypothermia. The brain is great at keeping you alive, terrible at comprehending the universe as a whole.
>>
>>28835855
there's no way to prove anything is "real"
how would the simulators know they're not in a simulation as well?
>>
File: Max_Stirner-k.jpg (47 KB, 501x525) Image search: [Google]
Max_Stirner-k.jpg
47 KB, 501x525
Same famillio
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.