[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How come you're not busking, robots? Busking is the ideal
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 9
File: busker.jpg (57 KB, 500x334) Image search: [Google]
busker.jpg
57 KB, 500x334
How come you're not busking, robots?

Busking is the ideal robot occupation. It gets you outside and in the sunshine, you can do it on your own schedule, and you can work as little or as much as you like. All the money you make is tax-free, and you'll feel good about yourself for entertaining people.

Contrary to what you may think, you don't need to be able to play an instrument to busk; you can do almost anything from painting yourself grey and becoming a living statue to juggling and clowning. I even saw a guy who carried around a manual typewriter and wrote custom poems for $10 apiece -- and made a lot of money doing it. I do tarot readings on a little folding table, myself, and make an average of about $60 for a day's work ($0 on a bad day, $200 on my best day).

Everyone here can do *something* if you use your imagination.
>>
>>28821048
I'd love to start busking. The only thing I can do that would work is playing bass. Problem is, bass is not an instrument that works solo. I'm still trying to convince my band's guitarist/singer to go out and play acoustic versions of our songs for guitar and bass.

Other problem is I need someplace to plug my amp
>>
>>28821392
Use a battery-powered keyboard and plug your bass into that. It probably won't last long, but you'll be able to get a couple of hours out of it, probably. But why do you think all you can play is bass? If you can play bass, you can play a ukelele with a little practice, and you can pick up a decent uke for $20.
>>
>>28821461
Yep, that's actually what I thought of too.

Also really wanted to try hang drum but shit would cost me two paychecks.

By the way check this out. These guys are absolutely best buskers in my city, whenever I come across them I throw them A LOT of money
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXZkHn9tnrc
>>
>>28821624
Ehh, they're pros. I find it annoying when professionals go out busking; they're taking money away from the amateurs who can't play bars or birthday parties for extra cash. I do amateur tarot readings and I'd be pretty annoyed if one of the $100-and-hour tarot readers set up across the street from me and cut my grass.
>>
>>28821735
Tbh, when it comes to busking, in most cases I support the idea rather than the performance itself. I always passed a homeless guy playing a harmonica in the subway, I passed this dude everyday for more than six years. When I first heard him, he fucking sucked. I actually could hear him getting progressively better as time passed. Since for years ago, I took care to always have at least some nickels for him.
>>
>>28821797
You know, I've been posting "Why aren't you busking?" to r9k for a long time, and this is the first time anyone's actually responded. And as you can see, you're the ONLY one. Do you know why that is? From what I can see, busking seems like it would be perfect job for robots; you get to be social and meet people, but not in a way which involves a lot of discussion or interpersonal relationships, and it'll put money in your pockets. Why are robots so hostile to busking?
>>
>>28821973
They dont want to go outside or have any appreciable talents
>>
>>28821461
>It probably won't last long
thats just what your girlfriend sais when she spends the night with you instead of me
>>
>>28821048
fucking hipster shit
>>
>>28821973
I dunno. It might be because it's treated differently in other places. In my city (Prague), busking is supported by the authorities and society. There is only a volume limit for buskers, other than that they are left alone and can do as they please. I don't know what is the case in other places
>>
Because I'm not a fucking attention whore who likes annoying people with unnecessary noise. I play guitar and there's no way I'm playing outside like that. Just seems extremely obnoxious. No one asked me to play and no one asked to hear that shit.
>>
>>28822045
You don't need to have any talents. I've seen a guy who makes a living painting himself grey and standing perfectly still for hours at a time as a living statue. You can do almost anything as a busker.
>>
Another idea I had was getting this toy (k, I'm getting it anyway because it's fucking cool) and performing with this live.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oE2FbuPEK0
>>
what is it called when you see that guy at a booth, and he has the three shells that he moves around and you have to guess which shell the little ball is under? is that a scam?
>>
>>28822099
don't worry mate, once you get decent the confidence will follow
>>
>>28822111
Standing perfectly still is pretty hard to do desu
>>
>>28822099
If people are paying you to do it, then clearly you're not annoying them. Buskers are part of the streetscape which makes cities so exciting to be in. That's why most cities support busking.

>>28822142
It's called the shell game (a variation of three card monte) and yes, it's a scam. But it's also a form of entertainment, so it counts as busking.
>>
>>28822142
Yup, it usually is. Usually it's a guy who's pretty agile with his hands and cheats on shit. Usually they'll let you win a bit to boost your confidence and then make you lose everything. So, when it comes down to it, its more like a psychological game. If you quit at the right moment you can actually win small amounts of money.
>>
>>28821048
Because they are annoying, untalented, loud, eyesore trash and I have no intention of being annoying, untalented, loud, eyesore trash.
>>
>>28822155
Maybe, but it doesn't take any talent. Even the shitposting mouth-breathers in r9k can stand still for a few hours. For 50 cents worth of grey body paint, you can make enough money for a pizza and a new vidya. Seems like a good deal to me.
>>
>>28822449
Annoying, untalented, loud, eyesore trash with some money in their pockets. As opposed to being annoying, untalented, quiet, broke-ass, eyesore trash like you.
>>
>>28822498
I don't actively go out to make noise and interrupt other people's business. I don't think making money justifies it either.
>>
>>28822544
Majority of people in my town have an exact opposite of your opinion m8
>>
>>28822562
Really? Give me the link to the anonymous poll then, I'm interested.
>>
>>28822544
>autism: the post
Among neurotypicals, they traditionally enjoy rhythmic noise-making and refer to this as "music." They also enjoy witnessing this sound being made by a human rather than a computer. Baffling, I know, but they will pay for this opportunity.
>>
>>28822586
Dude, there was an idea to restrict busking in Prague. And guess what, people said they didn't want this, because they thought buskers make the cityscape more interesting and fun to be in.

If it really bothers you, you just walk by and are gone in less then a minute, or wear headphones. Do you get so butthurt for every other thing around you or just that?
>>
>>28822594
I would know. I absolutely love listening to music made by human beings and not by computers when I am outside. Unfortunately, sometimes through the headphones I'm listening to it with comes the noise made by some retard farting on his sax or some functional paraplegic whacking her guitar, which I can't quite drown out. Last time I saw it, they did it while literally being thirty metres apart, too.
>>
>>28822692
Also look up the youtube link I posted a bit above with the dude playing a didgeridoo. Do you really think these people are untalented?
>>
>>28821048
You don't make enough money from it.

t. Someone who actually busks and has been doing it for years
>>
>>28822814
I don't want to do it because of money, I want to do it because it's fun. If I can make enough to buy a pack a ciggies after a day, I'd be satisfied.
>>
>>28822748
OP literally said that he prefers there to be people too incompetent to be able to play professionally.

>>28822692
If you actually justify a form of city pollution (because it is noise pollution) whose range is the distance that a human can travel in whole 60 fucking seconds, then you're a lost cause. You might as well blast rap at 2 AM from your windows while you're at it.
>>
>>28821048
Because I hate interacting with humans you dunb normie
>>
so how much money can i expect to make a day busking with a guitar?
>>
>>28822466
>>28822594
Also, OP, could you please address for once how you consistently rely on denigration of certain groups of people (posters on /r9k/, people with autism) so to shame people into agreeing with what you expect them to do?
>>
>>28822111
>standing still for hours
>not a talent
Fuck you
>>
Professional panhandling. No thanks.
>>
>>28822151
Just fucking kiII yourself
>>
>>28821392
>bass not a solo instrument

pfff, i beg to differ my little nigga
i can play some sombre melodic ass shit ya dig
bass chords are dope in general
>>
>>28822859
>>28822859
Are you fucking braindead or just can't read? These guys are supported in my town, BUT they have a volume limit and can get a pretty painful fine if they get louder than they're allowed too
>>
>>28822466
I spend most of my time laying in bed. Do you REALLY think I could manage to stand upright for more than 30min?
>>
>>28822964
I know you can play pretty dope solos on bass, of course. It's just that I never played anything outside of regular basslines in a band.
>>
>>28822166
Literally no cities support this stupid shit. If you do get paid, it's out of pity. No one likes that shit. Everyone wants you to fuck off.
>>
>>28823003
You can, you just need to stop being coward lazy pathetic embarrassing self-pitying blah.
>>
>>28823071
>>28823003
(This is, of course, a satire of the spectacular shaming tactic of 'if you don't do what I tell you to do, you're a failure'.)
>>
>>28823047
As I said again, Prague. What sad shithole do you live in anyway?
>>
>>28823071
And how do I do that, smart ass normie faggot?
>>
>>28823121
Just stop being being >muh depressed of course, you... shit, ran out of impotent insults which to fling at you as soon as you correct point out infeasibility of certain life 'solutions'.
>>
>>28822846
OP is implying that it's a good source of money and the "ideal job" for robots. It isn't. It's a hobby.
>>
>>28823208
No, it's a passive-aggressive, socially 'acceptable' way to be a nuisance.
>>
>>28823167
How do I stop being depressed?
>>
>>28823208
Well, you can't live out of that if you want to do it as a full-time job. But it can be pretty fun way to get some extra money.
>>
>>28823219
Tbh, that relly depends where you're doing it.

>>28823236
You're preaching to the choir.
>>
>>28823220
By being yourself, of course. So obvious.
>>
>>28823220
Just do it.

Also, should you for whatever reason turn out not to do that, then as a normalfag, I am, in lieu of awareness and provision of any better, more feasible solutions such as specific medication, socially obliged to continue to throw insults and imply your ill will and shortcomings of character ('stop being lazy'), to which I hope it won't come because I lack the proper vocabulary.
>>
File: OLIVE018-300.jpg (43 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
OLIVE018-300.jpg
43 KB, 300x300
Speaking of busking, Hats off to the buskers is a great album.
>>
File: sanne.jpg (185 KB, 525x816) Image search: [Google]
sanne.jpg
185 KB, 525x816
>>28822958
that bitterness isn't going to do you any favors except for stunt your skill potential. your call, though.

>>28823219
>passive-aggressive

just because you would engage in the action with passive aggressive intent, doesn't mean everyone else goes about it for the same reasons. literal autism
>>
>>28823319
Pic related is the autism test, isn't it? Legit diagnosed autism I mean. Not 4chan "autism".
>>
>>28823045
any instrument is what you make of it
music was never about the music, but the musician; rather what is played is a reflection of the player's state of consciousness.
>>
>>28823319
If I ever decided to grace the world with my music, I would take care to make it FUCKING OPT-IN, NOT (HARDLY EVEN UNFAILINGLY) OPT-OUT.
>>
>>28823360
Except you will not anyway because this takes at least some courage.
>>
>>28823358
>music was never about the music, but the musician

Translation: 'I know my music sucks ass, but maybe you could just appreciate that I'm trying? if it's not too much of a problem...'
>>
>>28823360
You don't make music, tho. You're just a bitter shut in.
>>
>>28823421
>>28823407
In short, not only do you play badly, you actually have the nerve to blame the listeners onto 'autistically failing to appreciate the unique social occasion that is the performance that is something greater than the sum of its parts, and that is more than merely music'. Repulsive.
>>
>>28823459
My point being, when the music is bad, you blame anyone who doesn't like it for not overlooking that fact, instead of improving.

>onto
*for, wrong preposition
>>
>>28823459
Since you're pretty much the only person I ever met irl or in the webz that thinks that way, I don't give a fuck.

Still curious if you get so butthurt over anything so easily or just that.
>>
>>28823459
>>28823421
lol you don't know me at all.
your vitriol says much more about you than it does me. it says you're a bitter cunt
>>
File: JUST papa john my shit up.jpg (12 KB, 503x415) Image search: [Google]
JUST papa john my shit up.jpg
12 KB, 503x415
>mfw need a license to busk in my city and I have a day job anyway
Feels bad, man. I want to do it so bad.
>>
>>28823501
It is infinitely easier to not care than to 'be butthurt', which in your mind is a permanent synonym for caring. It's the easiest thing in the world to tolerate, accept, find fine, find okay. To dislike and expect something good, that's literally one-in-a-million phenomenon.
>>
>>28823356
yes. it's in response to anon projecting his views as absolute and what everyone else follows

>>28823360
do people hold power electronic shows when they're busking or some shit? christ man, an acoustic instrument can barely be heard across the boulevard unless you're smashing on it like an autistic folk-punk fuck. fingerpicking can't really be heard at all unless you're with a dozen or so paces of them

hell, busking is more "opt-out"-able than an open mic night somewhere because they usually have speakers blasting the shit through the whole building, and sometimes even outside with speakers. this is even worse if they got a shitty "once you leave you can't re-enter" policy

it's not like you'd be bringing a drum kit and playing blast bits in front of a victoria's secret, holy hell
>>
>>28823536
>I want to do it so bad.

Right. I'm pretty sure that you don't want to do it any well.
>>
File: hmm.jpg (16 KB, 620x330) Image search: [Google]
hmm.jpg
16 KB, 620x330
>>28821048
>ideal robot occupation
>involves constant social interaction and being outside

How fucking dense are you, my dude?
>>
>>28823557
Basically this. Thanks.
>>
>>28821973
I used to busk but I was a shit musician and I've learned a lot since then. I'm gonna try it again soon and see if I can make some decent cash.
>>
Wouldn't it be illegal in some way? Government wants its taxes, and couldn't people get you in trouble for soliciting?
>>
>>28823564
Exactly, I would suck so hard people will give me money to shut up.
>>
>>28821048
my city's government / police hate poor people
my city's poor people hate poor people even more
>>
>>28823557
Even pretending that this is true, they remain an eyesore, plus they teach people approval of bad musicianship. You should have the decency to practice in your house, not expect people to give you money for 'courage' -- which is perfectly equivalent of the proverbial shitting on canvas and getting it called art.
>>
to add onto this (>>28823557) buskers that play music are only a fraction of buskers in general. you can do plenty of shit that doesn't give any "noise pollution" or whatever the fuck you're worried about

>inb4 "those people are visually polluting the walls they're in front of!"
>>
>>28823656
I hate to use this argument, but do you play any better?
>>
>>28823668
Yes, not even mentioning those who touch you and such, visual pollution is a thing. Visually, there is no difference between a guy sitting under a wall and a pack or can of something lying there. The aesthetic base factor is that of being immobile and lying (not having the power to stand).
>>
>>28823656
it's like everything you look at is as terrible as you feel
>>
>>28823656
And also, I didn't learn to play an instrument to play for myself. I never busked, I used to have a band and we played some shows in shitty venues. There was around a hundred of people who came to a show sometimes and enjoyed. The fact our music was pretty simple didn't bother them.

What's the point of playing like Petrucci if noone except you hears that?
>>
>>28823723
There are some -- not much, but some -- things that I *can* do well, none of which I would have the conceit to show off before I've mastered it. I wouldn't even call myself a proficient speaker of my native language.
>>
>>28823794
As I said in a post before this one, not everything has to be mastered in order to be enjoyed.

To be honest you sound like you lack a confidence to show off what you can do, and get butthurt seeing people not as good as you, but more confident getting praised in any way. I understand, I would be too.
>>
>>28823791
When you play in a venue, most attendees know your level of expertise, and you're not giving young children or otherwise newcomers to your genre a mistaken impression that it is enough to warrant coming out to general public.
>>
That's about the most normie thing you can do. Those people make money because they have enough social skills and charisma to convince people to get give money for whatever little monkey dance they do.
>>
>>28823656
>they remain an eyesore

and that's why busking isn't allowed in all areas, but when it is allowed it's because the surrounding businesses have their own idea of what constitutes an "eyesore" vs. some random hypersensitive autist

>plus they teach people approval of bad musicianship

why the fuck would you even assume this? do you really think people are getting advice on how to improve from assholes on the street?

people tend to busk because they're wanting to apply what they have practiced at home, to an audience that isn't from family/friends. family and the like tend to have a bias towards your artistic skills, whether it's an overestimation or under.

>You should have the decency to practice in your house

i've never seen a busker run through scales or do breathing exercises as their "routine," where the fuck do you live? a performance, regardless of the context, is still practice because you're reinforcing your knowledge and ability to play a song, just in front of a crowd

>not expect people to give you money for 'courage'

once again, you're applying your own expectations as absolutes, to what other people think & do. i can't even fathom the idea of dropping money into a busker's hat/can/case/whatever ONLY because i thought they were being courageous for playing outside
>>
>>28823887
>people can't be social and talented
let me guess, you're having trouble finding a job with your pet STEM degree?
>>
>>28823852
All belief in 'few, but ripe' can be attributed to lack of confidence rather than long-term concern for one's audience's palate. I would rather play my highly hypothetical son one good record per week than an average one per day.
>>
File: coffee.jpg (175 KB, 527x620) Image search: [Google]
coffee.jpg
175 KB, 527x620
I considered it but my city has strict laws about where you can busk, and in general, you need a license to do it. And even in the parts of town you don't, you'll probably get beat up by another busker or panhandler.

I also don't have the self confidence to take my shitty old wooden recorder flute or that harmonica I found and go tooting around. I don't have any visual art talents or skills either, and I can only juggle two balls at once and not for very long. I can't freestyle rap or anything...

All that said, I did consider trying to rig some kind of portable large-scale coffeemaker, attaching it to my bike, and selling delicious drinks. I'm not selling FOOD at that point, so I don't have to subscribe to any restaurant board laws, but I'm not sure if it encroaches on something else. But I figure it should be all okay for the same reasons people selling ice cream out of bikes are left be.
>>
>>28823868
Except it is. I got paid for that too, you know.
>>
>>28823937
You know, the potential audience can separate the good ones from the bad ones with their change.
>>
>>28823868
>When you play in a venue, most attendees know your level of expertise

you don't go to concerts too much, do you? it's fairly rare to go to a show where you're familiar with all of the bands. this is especially true with touring acts, as they'll tend to have local bands, that you don't know, or maybe know only by name, added onto the bill

it's a double edged sword, because sometimes the local bands are worse than one would expect. other times, while rarer, someone might enjoy a local opening act as much, or more, than the touring act they came to see.
>>
>>28822859
>city pollution
I'm sorry but I have got to ask just how grey is your perspective? I mean, you treat life as getting from point A to point B with making as little noise and impact as possible. And then you continue on living indoors and online whilst feeling supremacy to normies.
Let the buskies play, they bring at least something different in your daily routine.
>>
Also, applying your logic, since english isn't my first language, I shouldn't be using it to communicate until I can speak on a native speaker level.
>>
>>28824031
>the potential audience can separate the good ones from the bad ones with their change

Sadly, this is not much of an evolutionary pressure apparently.

>>28824071
>you treat life as getting from point A to point B with making as little noise and impact as possible

Precisely. Generally speaking, I firmly believe that I should offer my creations as modestly as possible -- the absolute minimum necessary for people to take notice. Then we can arrange a separate occasion for them to see it, without bothering everyone else. It's better to underinvolve people than to overinvolve them.

>they bring at least something different in your daily routine

As do muggers, sirens, and pigeons.

>>28824136
Correct. And if you can't master it soon enough, you should kill yourself to increase the linguistic average in addition to avoiding reproducing. There should be a quota of humans, say one billion or something, with the bottom being constantly purged.
>>
>>28824223
I cannot contradict you on that, what you've stated is fair and reasonable.

I just have to ask though. How on earth do you cope with the everyday boredom wielding a perspective such as your own?
>>
>>28824223
Cool, I mastered my native language and one foreign. Surely I am going to care that some angry autist is butthurt because the other two sound a bit clumsy.

That's why noone cares about you being butthurt. At least noone irl.
>>
>>28824293
>How on earth do you cope with the everyday boredom wielding a perspective such as your own?

I listen to music which takes more than one listening to understand/memorize. In short, going for replay value.

>what you've stated is fair and reasonable

thisisbait.png
>>
>>28824366
Is it?
Or is a response like that just rare these days :)
>>
>>28824223
>There should be a quota of humans, say one billion or something, with the bottom being constantly purged.

You do realize you'd probably be a bottom, tho?

Anyway, that was a pretty good bait, only now I noticed.
>>
>>28824396
No eugenicist ever wanted to exempt themselves from their policies.
>>
>>28824453
That's true. They just thought they were the top.
>>
>>28824538
Well, many robots are for a state elimitation of inferiors because it would be an easy, humane, unavoidable suicide.
>>
>>28824649
>>28824538
You could call it 'suicide by eugenics' based on suicide by cop.
>>
>>28823047
this
I don't live in a city, but I always thought these people were just glorified beggars.
>>
>>28824689
They are like jazz musicians, everyone pretends to enjoy it.
>>
>>28823624
YMMV depending on where you live, but I've checked the legality of it here and, as far as the government is concerned, any income qualifies as "gifts" -- and gifts don't need to be reported unless they have a value above a certain threshold in the thousands. Some cities have by-laws around busking, but most don't bother since it brings people downtown and gives the streets life.
>>
I can only play a few chords on gutar but i like to sing im not confident though plus im not attractive at all
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1spvCjnVstJ
>>
>>28824756
It's not a gift. I'm not receiving the money out of sympathy, but transactively.
>>
File: 1464062718925.jpg (12 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
1464062718925.jpg
12 KB, 320x320
>>28821392
>bass is not an instrument that works solo
kek
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ1aCweyh6g
>>
>>28824978
>implying I could do that

Okay, bass on my level is not an instrument that works solo. But holy fuck, I want to learn that so bad now
>>
File: 1462633907257.gif (2 MB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1462633907257.gif
2 MB, 400x400
>Attention whoring
>Robot occupation
>>
File: iww_globe_reverse.gif (12 KB, 355x360) Image search: [Google]
iww_globe_reverse.gif
12 KB, 355x360
If any of you folks are serious about wanting to busk, I'd be happy to help you unionize with us. I'm a member of the Industrial Workers of the World, and we have a long tradition of unionizing hobos, musicians, and buskers dating back to the Great Depression. You'd belong to one of the oldest and most stories unions in the world, and union dues are geared to income, so most people here would be paying no more than $6 a month. In exchange, you'd get an official union card and the right to draw on IWW support if you encounter any problems.
>>
>got kicked off the street for doing my cover of Slave New Desert
FUCKING PLEBS CAN'T APPRECIATE ART
>>
>>28821392
Bruh
Look up bass bunny in melbourne australia his the most popular busker i know
Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.