[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So why should I care about the government spying on me? I don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4
So why should I care about the government spying on me?

I don't browse weird stuff, I don't have any crazy ideas to blow up something, the most I do is torrent Chinese cartoons and vidya.

And besides what's the likelihood of some NSA agent randomly coming across me in their monitors?
>>
>>28810759
When you fap do you do it in front of your family and neighbours? No? Why not? Why should you care?
>>
>>28810783

There's a difference though. The government can't see me fapping. Maybe they can in terms of packets, but my monitor doesn't have a camera on it.
>>
>>28810793
oh sweet child how deluded you are of the capabilities that our government currently holds

It's a slippery slope. If we let them do x, theyll know we won't do shit about them doing Y (Which is usually worse). If you like being watched then move to the UK
>>
>>28810759
Why do you lock your house when you're out ? Keep it open, you have nothing to hide after all.
>>
File: Hahahaha-Yes.png (40 KB, 152x254) Image search: [Google]
Hahahaha-Yes.png
40 KB, 152x254
>>28810759
>/r9k/
>Nothing to hide.
>>
>>28810759
look up gang stalking
>>
>>28810759
Can I probe your rectum right now? It's to see if there's no bomb in there. You have nothing to hide right? You're not a terrorist, right?
>>
>>28810759
>weird stuff
what is the source of this meme, I have seen my relatives use this exact phrase in this context
>>
>>28810759
It's nice to be principled.
>>
>>28810759
spying works as blackmail, soon goverments will have to work on AIs to keep track of all the data.
that will be a lethal mistake since people ruling this world is far more degenerate than any other culture in human history, AI will hold all the cards agains their creators.
>>
anyway the answer is that you don't understand that a) the legal system is a superorganism and b) we are its prey

the reason you have nothing to fear at the moment is that it has enough to eat, ie. enough people go into the prison system to keep the institution running

but you'd be a fool to not prepare for the day when the academic-legal complex suddenly """discovers""" that your anime is actually morally unacceptable, or that your software is irresponsible and dangerous, or whatever

if you are prey, and you know you are prey, and instead of cooperating with other prey, you talk about how the predator (that passes you into its bowels in order to torture and extract resources from you) is actually not all that bad, you are a dipshit
>>
>>28810759
Simply because if you allow them to spy on you, they won't stop.
They won't ever think "gee anon is a boring faggot let's stop spying on him". Nope, they'll just backlog everything and call it a day.
Plus they will also never stop encroaching freedoms. If you give them an inch, they will want another. And another. So on and so forth.

Also keep in mind you may not be a weirdo or terrorist today, but the definition of what a weirdo or terrorist can change tomorrow. So the moment those who spy on you and control you decide you are an enemy, you are fucked.
>>
>>28810759
>the government is your friend
>the government never uses collected data for nefarious purposes
>the constitution doesnt guarantee your right to privacy, what are you hiding, you criminal?

No good has ever come from giving out info to the government. This is why lawyers tell you to never talk to cops. Even if you havent done anything wrong you might accidentially incriminate yourself.
>>
>>28811530
>but it's a beneficial superorganism and we'd die without it
in much the same way that the guy who owns the cattle is beneficial to them, yes
your job is to not allow yourself to evolve into a position such that, like cattle, you will die unless you are maintained as food
>>
>>28810759
>I don't browse weird stuff,
where do you think you are? just because you don't think its weird doesn't mean the government does too
>>
>>28811190
This. OP's mindset is basically of permissiveness, 'oh it's not that bad'. Inviting the govt to get worse. Instead we should demand more and more: privacy, public education campaigns on encryption software, and such.
>>
>>28810759
>So why should I care about the government spying on me?
Basically because they get shit wrong a lot. The problem is you have no recourse when they screw up. (There's also the risk that your data could get leaked but that's more of a concern with private companies).

Consider trials: You have the right to be present and dispute their interpretation of events and facts. Decisions are based on very small amounts of evidence since they don't have time to evaluate absolutely everything they could learn about you, so you're allowed to bring up additional shit that contradicts their interpretation.

The guys spying on you are also going to make decisions that involve you (e.g. putting you on no-fly lists, banning you from transferring money, etc.), only because the whole thing is hurr national security, trying to correct their screwups is an almost hopelessly uphill battle.
>>
>>28811575
He probably means either CP or terrorist recruitment material. I doubt anyone cares if you see guides to jihad as long as you aren't writing them. As for the former, feminists think you're a pedo if you're attracted to women who don't look like men or hutts, so good luck staying out of that category as it unstoppably expands.
>there were topless photos of 16-year-olds in mass-market British newspapers forty years ago
>>
>>28811652
>yeah I know, we've Gotten So Much Better About Things
Yes, and you'll continue to Get Better About Things, which is why everyone with any sort of self-preservation instinct should guard themselves against you.
>>
It kind of makes me feel good to know thousands of dollars is spend every month to watch me shitpost here and fap to feet.
>>
>>28811761
as long as change is averted you can feel however you want lmao
>>
>>28811440
>meme
It's two fucking very common words, overnegro. You gotta get a grip.
>>
With enough data they can always find some dirt on you if they need/want to, they can identify your personality more accurately to tailor ads more carefully to you to 'trick' you, they can run 'harmless' experiments on you, make money off you, also you never know, one day you may desire to do something illegal.

The main reason though is because it's a stepping stone to much worse.
>>
Do you guys seriously believe our government is literally big brother?
>>
>>28812338
I don't think we have any politicians whose elder male siblings are heads of state posting here on /r9k/.
>>
>>28812338
>implying your post is not being mined in multiple big data queries right now
Hahahahaha faggot
>>
>>28810759
There's nothing you can really do about it so why worry? When things are beyond your control you gotta let go. You may as well worry that an asteroid could fall on your head any second.

Apart from that unless you have political enemies I wouldn't be too concerned. I mean what can they really do with this information?
>>
>>28812369
>>28812404

I'm glad I don't live in Murica
>>
One facet of this argument that goes largely undiscussed is that it is bad for an imperfect government to be able to predict all crime. Some of the greatest steps forward in human history were only made possible by people being able to hide information from their government. If the church had access to Galileo's research journals and notes we could be hundreds of years behind in our scientific growth. If the government had unlimited access to the networks of civil dissidents blacks may have never fought off Jim Crow. If King George had perfect information America would never have been a country.

There is no government on earth that is perfect, and therefore there is no government on earth that can act responsibly with unlimited access to information. A government is unlikely to be able to distinguish between a negative and positive disruption to it's social order and laws, and it therefore follows that an unlimited spying program can only hinder the next great social step forward. Don't fear the surveillance state because you might have something illegal, fear the surveillance state because it is a tremendous institutional barrier to meaningful societal progress.

>>28812458
>American agencies only spy on Americans
2/10 b8 m8
>>
>>28812441
>nothing you can do
The Second Amendment is interesting in consideration of cyber warfare.
What should you do if you catch the DoD trying to log in to your computer as root?
>>
>>28812509
why is it that people always talk about how terrible these military institutions are, but the FBI basically eats babies and no one even mentions them
>>
>>28812495

Yeah but all of those things were a reaction against a bigger agency.

The bigger agency doesn't want to change history, they want to stay in power.
>>
>>28812533
like, no soldier has ever been a piece of shit to me, I don't read stories about soldiers killing dogs
>>
File: 1463653071767.png (498 KB, 798x920) Image search: [Google]
1463653071767.png
498 KB, 798x920
>>28812338
If you're in charge of the NSA and you aren't trying to data-mine every person in the country you would be fired. That is literally your job.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRISM_(surveillance_program)
>>
>>28812578

So you are telling me it's only a matter of time before someone tries to sue me for browsing something that I 'accidentally' stumbled upon?
>>
>>28812563
>"an organization"
you're pulling a Gendo in that you're incorrectly applying the reification
instead think of the butthurt agent who's trying to ruin your life because you called him a cuck in IRC that one time
>>
>>28811430
That was very disturbing.
>>
>the most I do is torrent Chinese cartoons and vidya
I thought you said you don't "browse weird stuff"
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.