[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fell for the "Fell for the college degree meme" meme
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6
File: 1461190619956.jpg (11 KB, 250x247) Image search: [Google]
1461190619956.jpg
11 KB, 250x247
This is what I get for taking advice from the internet. They all told me that degrees have become useless, but all my graduated friends are making so much more money than I am.

Better quality of life, better everything. How could I have been such a fool?
>>
>>28804430
Why don't you go to school if you've had this epiphany
>>
>>28804430

useful degree > no degree > going into debt for bullshit

Learn something real and hard.
>>
>>28804430

How much is "a lot"?

Average 4-year CS degree people make over $80k a year.

Ivy-leage students on a Finance track make $300k after 5 years.
>>
>>28804713
>Ivy-leage students on a Finance track make $300k after 5 years.

that's on the high end
also that's the price of a drink in manhattan
>>
The other half of not going to college is that you have to learn a trade. If you'd been driving a truck, becoming a plumber or a mechanic, something like that, you'd earn more and have more.
>>
>>28804430
I fell for the CS meme, now I'm NEET
Even worse, I already finished grad school
>>
First of all how do you know how much money they're making? Did they show you their bank statements?

Secondly, are you sure all of your graduated friends are making a lot of money? Perhaps you're being biased by a few guys making decent money while ignoring the rest who are making a mediocre salary, or worse unemployed.
>>
>>28804817
>living in Manhattan

Speaking of falling for memes
>>
>>28804430
>Fell for the "Fell for the college degree meme" meme
>closedeyeslaughingpepe.png
>>
>>28805102
Manhattan is cheaper for luxury goods in NYC. It's the only borough that doesn't have the 7% sales tax tacked on.
>>
File: 1432499935446.jpg (70 KB, 604x603) Image search: [Google]
1432499935446.jpg
70 KB, 604x603
Same shit happened to me OP
>everyone says going to college is a fool's decision
>ok I'll just stay home and work occasionally
>here I am suffering in my shitty $10/hr jobs surrounded by 40 year olds while everyone my age is "wasting" their time and money in college by getting friends and gfs
>economy stabilizes
>suddenly they're all enjoying life in their $70k a year jobs and I'm still doing the same shit I always have

You normals really pulled a fast one on me this time huh
>>
>>28804645
>>28804645
>>28804645
>>28804645
>>28804645
This here is the correct sentiment. I endorse this individual's idea.
>>
File: classy pepe.jpg (3 KB, 88x130) Image search: [Google]
classy pepe.jpg
3 KB, 88x130
>>28805145

oregano comet famalamadingdong
>>
college is basically instant success, you surround yourself with a successful environment, around successful people

if you stay in your room at home all day, the only limit to your life you see is not having a gf or having any friends, like most of us.
>>
I fell for the psychology meme. Now I work a bullshit fluff office job at a hospital doing nothing science related at all for 45k/yr. Desuly I could have done this without the degree. I wanted to torture monkeys and do statistical shit. Luckily I wasn't dumb enough to go PhD. I'm in the process of switching over to nursing. If I'm working a bullshit hospital job I might as well do an easier one that pays twice as much. I'm wanting to be a director at a behavioral hospital. Often times the smaller hospitals will take just a bachelors nurse. A psychology and nursing bachelors with a focus on administration is sure to land me the job.
>>
>>28805301
>gets a $45k/year job that he doesn't even have to do anything at and he still bitches

I hate you normals so much please die
I can't even imagine what its like to have that much money
>>
Getting a liberal arts degree isn't going to get you shit unless you can create some successful business from it. You can still make more than someone without a degree, but not the 70k+ like CS fags.
>>
I would have preferred to not go to school rather than the one I chose. It was such a miserable place, and I've felt unfulfilled ever since.

>>28804430
>but all my graduated friends are making so much more money than I am
I know this feel. My friends all manged to get into great schools, and now they're moving on to better tings. I honestly can't express in words how jealous I am of them. Whenever I think about how well they've done, I begin to cry or become furious at myself.
>>
>>28805334

Don't get me wrong, I like the money, and turned down poverty level research assistant positions. I know I'm being picky but my dream was to do fun science, not this nerd computer bullshit.

It's not really bitching though. I'm taking action to improve my situation to something actually viable. In one more year I'll have my RN. Give me a couple years experience and I'll hopefully be unit director or some other administrative position. I might have had a late start but I'll land that $90k+ job eventually. I've made some excellent contacts at least.

As the normies say, when life hands you lemons make lemonade.
>>
>>28804869
Can you tell me your story?
>>
>>28805446
I hate to break it to you, but "fun science" only exists in 7th grade. Welcome to the real world jackass, where "nerd computer bullshit" is how real science happens.
>>
>>28805480

So I could still get published in a prestigious behavioral journal even though I'm just pencil pushing digitally?

Thank you for renewing my hope. I guess I am a real scientist after all, I just needed to believe in myself more.
>>
Every single poster in this thread other than me is a cuck.
>>
>>28805468
I'm autistic and failed interviews every time before I could speak a word
>>
>>28805587
>cuck

Fucking kill yourself, I'm so sick of this god damn word
>>
Let me be clear for the morons in this thread.

Making 40k/year is not that much money if you're making payments on a 100k student loan. If you skipped college and did something useful like complete a trade apprenticeship, or got a truck driver's license you are way ahead of most college graduates. Yes you're never going to get rich but neither are most college graduates. Secondly it's gotten really hard to climb the corporate ladder without a master's degree which means more debt and more time wasted in education.

Why is climbing the ladder so important you ask? When downsizing happens in non-unionized jobs it's the older guys in their 40s-50s who haven't reached upper management that get sacked and get age discriminated, and have trouble finding another job.

Look, if you skipped college and fapped for 4 years then you are still better off than the average male soft science/humanities graduate. Yes I understand a lot of women get bullshit jobs with humanities degrees but that's mostly through affirmative action. You are way better off than some guy who studied political science or something in undergrad. Even if you did nothing for those 4 years.
>>
>>28805446
you are a normie, you whiny cunt
>>
>>28805679

Making 40k/year is not that much money period

I'd kill myself if I went to school for a full degree and graduated making that
>>
>>28805651
holy fuck i thought this was someone wearing a bane mask and this was the back of his head

i regret enlarging the image
>>
File: ingenieria_ 009.jpg (133 KB, 864x576) Image search: [Google]
ingenieria_ 009.jpg
133 KB, 864x576
>not having quality public universities

I shiggy diggy
>>
>cs meme in the era of pajeets
>>
>>28805820
I'd rather the degrees that do have any value stay that way, thank you
>>
>>28805651
This pic only goes to show how much of a cuck you are, to have a picture of a naked man's disgusting ass saved on your computer, you fucking faggot.
>>
>>28805800
That's a big regret.
>>
I got EE but couldn't find job. Went back to school and got Masters in Accounting. Now make over 70k.
>>
>>28805776
Better than being unemployed

CS majors have a >20% unemployment rate after 6 months at my uni and a ~10% unemployment rate after 2 years. These are only the people who respond to surveys sent by the uni. People who are unemployed don't usually disclose their employment status. Also this is not a bad school either. It's ranked in the top 30 in US news rankings. So go figure. If only elite Ivy League/MIT/Stanford have good employment prospects then college is a big meme.
>>
>>28805679
>Secondly it's gotten really hard to climb the corporate ladder without a master's degree which means more debt and more time wasted in education.

That's only if you consider education a waste of time. I would give anything to study something I'm passionate about.
>>
>>28805276
Sometimes, not always.
>22 years old, did 4 in USAF, want commission.
>Get first year done while in uniform, hammer out 110 credit hours in 1.5 years, (18-22 hours a semester, two springs, one fall, 3 summers (half-schedule mini semesters.)
>Maintain 4.0, Dean of Students learns about my insane load
>Dean asks why, tell him "Respectfully, tailgating won't get me into OTS."
>Dean requires me to attend one football game (on him, executive skybox with other staff and top rank seniors.)
>Go, bring books, get yelled at
>Random alumni asks "Why?" I explain.
>Get business card, guy is retired lieutenant general, writes a letter of recommendation to AETC commander
>Find out later I'd already been accepted to OTS before the letter was sent

Networking is a big plus, but work and grades are more.
>>
>>28804430
As someone about to start going to college, what is actually a smart choice? I was looking into hematology and shit like that, since someone on here told me how chill of a job it is working in a lab at a hospital.
>>
>>28804713
>Average 4-year CS degree people make over $80k a year.
>mfw im making 40k

i need to get out of webdev
>>
>>28805838
i just switched from bio to CS. i understand that bio was a big mistake even considering the field of medidebt was a waste of 2 years for me.

i can't think of any other 4 year degree with better job opportunities than cs

are poo in loos really taking over?
>>
>>28806026
That's not bad, I'm unemployed
>>
>>28805942

>mfw 60-70k starting (plus bonus) after graduation here in Canada

kek americucks
>>
>>28806056
Nursing will never be outsourced, and being male is an advantage
>>
>>28806026
Got a friend who makes apple apps and makes a cool 100k. Plus makes his own apps on the side
>>
>>28806096
i hate blood and interacting with people.

im hoping CS will lead me to a nice cubicle job i can work at by myself or if im lucky enough, right from home.

>>28806142
this is my dream. to make a social media app that blows up and sell it for bank.
>>
>>28805991
I should have been more specific.

"More time wasted in school".

You don't have to be in school to study something you are passionate about. If you're passionate about it go to google scholar and read the papers that are freely available or available for a small subscription fee.

My guess is you won't do this because you're being disingenuous and you don't like learning.

Instead you like the status of having an advanced degree and climbing to a higher level of the pyramid scheme named college education.
>>
>>28806187
>i hate blood and interacting with people.
>this is my dream. to make a social media app that blows up and sell it for bank.
>>
File: college.jpg (260 KB, 1024x1398) Image search: [Google]
college.jpg
260 KB, 1024x1398
>>28804430
enjoy being debt-free, chump.
>>
>>28806201
>You don't have to be in school to study something you are passionate about. If you're passionate about it go to google scholar and read the papers that are freely available or available for a small subscription fee.
It's a fine place to start, but it doesn't enable to to actually engage with and contribute to the field. This would hopefully be the goal of getting an education.

>My guess is you won't do this because you're being disingenuous and you don't like learning.
I'm actually working my way through a textbook right now. I suppose it's not much, but I am trying to do what I can, but it still isn't going to let me fulfill my ultimate goal of actively participating in this field.
>>
>>28804430
It mostly depends, I couldn't to go college cause financial aid wasn't enough and I didn't want to take out big bank loans besides I was basically directionless, now I'm in trade school and my uncle works for the DWP, so after I'm done he could call some guys up and get me some union job.
>>
>>28806443
you sound like you are doing it right.
it doesnt matter what degree you are pursuing; you need to be passionate about your field and seek to learn as much as you can both in and outside the classroom
>>
>>28806443
Which field is it exactly? Which textbook are you using?

You have to ask yourself if it's really worth contributing to a field that will only allow you to participate if you have a PHD at minimum. I don't mean to disparage your choices too much, perhaps this is something you really want to do and you may have strong reasons for pursuing it.
>>
>>28806668
>Which field is it exactly?
Philosophy. The textbook is in formal logic.

>You have to ask yourself if it's really worth contributing to a field that will only allow you to participate if you have a PHD at minimum.
It interests me more than any of the other typical life goals (e.g., home ownership, starting a family, romantic relationships, etc.).
> I don't mean to disparage your choices too much, perhaps this is something you really want to do and you may have strong reasons for pursuing it.
I want it very much. The real question is if I am capable of achieving it.
>>
>>28806900
>I want it very much. The real question is if I am capable of achieving it.
smart man. success doesnt come from how much you want something, it comes from the hard work you put into achieving it.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.