[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>http://www.npr.org/sections/health -shots/2016/05/18/478
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 9
>http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/05/18/478212837/in-search-for-cures-scientists-create-embryos-that-are-both-animal-and-human

You guys don't disapprove of our research . . . right?
>>
No one here is even intelligent enough to even have a valid opinion so no to answer your question
>>
fuck
if that works we will skip Deus Ex and go straight to tokyo gore police
>>
>>28803274
I think people forget how complex all sentient life is, even if certain animals seem less "intelligent" by our own standards
>>
Japan has been developing catgirls for two decades now, everyone knows that.
>tfw little catsister
>>
File: 1462153009977.png (100 KB, 550x385) Image search: [Google]
1462153009977.png
100 KB, 550x385
>>28803137
CATGIRLS WHEN???
>>
>"It might have human-type needs. We don't really know."
>"We don't really know"

Either the most exciting or the most terrifying statement a scientist can say
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (594 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
594 KB, 1920x1080
>>28803391
>>28803420
expectations vs reality
>>
File: SpliceCreatures1.jpg (59 KB, 600x324) Image search: [Google]
SpliceCreatures1.jpg
59 KB, 600x324
>>28803391
>>28803420
tbqh, it's not gonna happen
>>28803449
>reality
>not actuality
sorry guys
>>
File: 1461801256152.jpg (6 KB, 240x240) Image search: [Google]
1461801256152.jpg
6 KB, 240x240
>>28803449
I-I'm fine with having a personal umaru, anon
>>
>>28803137
Good. Parasite Eve 2 is my favorite game.
>>
>>28803432
>Either the most exciting or the most terrifying statement a scientist can say

Well, the feds won't fund it and only shady investors will atm, so the latter is always possible. IRL rarely plays out like the movies so I'm personally not worried.
>>
File: 1457055177766.jpg (129 KB, 396x368) Image search: [Google]
1457055177766.jpg
129 KB, 396x368
Horrifying, but fascinating. I still don't understand why individual organs cannot be grown in an artificial womb with stem cells.

Is the process just too complex to stimulate in an artificial environment? Do we not know enough about what makes a heart itself as opposed to an entire creature? Is the process too confounded with other developmental processes to just "make" a heart?

I really wish I could've studied this stuff in college, but I was too dumb.
>>
>>28803137
What was it like being a supposed female at the AWA panel? While I could be wrong, I do not recall seeing any female object smaller than a dwarf star so I imagine you must have blended in with most of the males.
>>
>muh ethics

No one cried about that when they created me
>>
>>28803558
>I still don't understand why individual organs cannot be grown in an artificial womb with stem cells

The tech and research really is just not there yet.

>Do we not know enough about what makes a heart itself as opposed to an entire creature? Is the process too confounded with other developmental processes to just "make" a heart?
That's the one thing you learn with biology. Organs, **especially** human organs are literally impossible to replicate even minutely accurately. It was only recently that there was advancements in growing skin, what look like ears on the exterior of live specimens.
I could go into detail, but in a phrase, it's almost as if human organs are purposely madeup not to cultivate on the cellular level in any other condition except conception...
>>
>>28803737
That's because they were having too much fun anon ;)
>>
File: the almighty loaf.gif (2 MB, 255x164) Image search: [Google]
the almighty loaf.gif
2 MB, 255x164
>they decide to create half-animal, half-human abominations in hope that they can harvest human organs (like a pancreas) from it
>"Ross hopes they'll only grow a human pancreas. But they could go elsewhere, such as to the brain."
>""If you have pigs with partly human brains you would have animals that might actually have consciousness like a human," Newman says. "It might have human-type needs. We don't really know."
This is far from good.
>they do this instead of enforcing something simple, yet effective to keep people's natural organs working longer and help them stay healthy
This is a bad feeling, like something is going to go wrong or fail soon enough if they choose to continue this type of shit.
>>
>>28803204
>valid
And that's only your opinion. Which I have my own opinion about.
>>
File: Ramrod.jpg (34 KB, 526x395) Image search: [Google]
Ramrod.jpg
34 KB, 526x395
Oh boy.

this will happen in our lifetimes. oh boy,
>>
>>28804003
>This is far from good.

It's a good thing. Quite frankly, we're all tired of the fear mongering and red-tape being slapped on the funding . . a single breakthrough would hold more value than any previous work ever done in this field.
>>
>>28804003
>This is far from good.
as long as they're infertile and are treated as well as if they were human, it's a finite concern, at least
>>
>>28803137
I've seen too many animes to think this is a good idea.
>>
>We're not trying to make a chimera just because we want to see some kind of monstrous creature,
>just because
>just
so it's only a little side-benefit? rock on.
>>
>>28803137
The queerats did nothing wrong.
>>
>>28804083
>that artstyle

I remember the movie fondly.
>>28804221
I would by lying if I said I didn't have "personal vested interest", to say the least
>>
The chances of the stem cells developing into a human brain of any capacity are next to 0 when there isn't a fucking pancreas in the pig.

This is literally FUD just like they did with cloning.
>>
>>28804380
Shh, you'll scare away the donors from the publicity
>>
In b4 Trump acquires Chimera army to retake Constantinople
>>
File: giltcrown_01.jpg (437 KB, 992x1400) Image search: [Google]
giltcrown_01.jpg
437 KB, 992x1400
we furfags now.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.