[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have a really good idea for an app but I an a loner with zero
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4
File: 1452794524043.jpg (69 KB, 540x721) Image search: [Google]
1452794524043.jpg
69 KB, 540x721
I have a really good idea for an app but I an a loner with zero programming skills. What can I do?
>>
>>28802430
What is it? Also, there's plenty of online resources if you think you can learn.
>>
>>28802499
http://tryobjectivec.codeschool.com/levels/4/challenges/22

Be forewarned, learning any sort of code is pretty hard and you have to be diligent and in a good state of mind, try doing some light exercise before.
>>
>>28802773
I dont even understand what I'm supposed to do.
>>
>>28802430
I've seen this picture a million times and a million times I see a hairy asshole
>>
>>28802807
It's called Objective C, it's for coding on Windows since I'm hoping you don't have a faggy mac.
Complete the course and download Objective C packages for Notepad++
>>
>>28802862
Do you even?

>>28802430
You send an email to me because I'm a software engineer with 9 years experience. Don't use Objective C because no one uses IPhone and if they do you don't want them using your app anyway. Do it in Java or better (easier) yet do it in C# with Xamarin.
>>
>>28802844
It gets me every fucking time.
>>
>>28802959
>>28802959
>You send an email to me because I'm a software engineer with 9 years experience
What if I have no money to offer you?
>>
>>28803029
Man.. I make enough money.

Software developing isn't about money if you're helping someone else be a better programmer. I'd rather get paid by the man and help someone for free on the side. The more programmers who pay it forward means more open source stuff means more free awesome stuff
>>
>>28803087
Lets say I wanted to make a dating app or a social type of app (and eventually a website) which language(s) do you think are best?
>>
>>28803346
Disregard this guy. Learn objective-C. Make an iphone app.
>>
>>28802430
What is this picture i am looking at?
>>
>>28803087

Stop helping people learn you asshole, you're devaluing my only skill. What if I lose my job?
>>
>>28802862
Why did you give him this if he's trying to make an app? OP look for Java(Android) or Swift(iOS) tutorials.
>>
>>28803447
You're already being devalued by the millions of cuntish women and trannies learning to code
>>
>>28803515

>implying any of them ever succeed at learning

Anons here are male and might actually work hard and learn.
>>
>>28802430
What the fuck is this picture, man? My god.
>>
>>28803346
I'd say don't. There's enough dating apps and websites already. I'm in software and not business but there's no market for it.

If you just want an answer anyway: it depends. The app can be easily written with Xamarin and C#. That's my language of choice because it's easy and the learning curve isn't huge. If you want to ONLY write a website and provide a mobile version that's also an option. There's a ton of JavaScript libraries pre-built for rich mobile experiences. Check out AngularJS, Node.js etc....

>>28803400
Do. Not. Learn. Objective C. Your time will be wasted when Apple learns that no one wants to learn that shitty one-off language to develop for their even-shittier platform.
>>
>>28803427
>>28803576

I see it now. The "asshole" is the guys ear, the "left cheek" is his head, and the "right cheek" is his shoulder.
>>
>>28803447
Then get better. I don't know what you have in the way of experience but you won't lose your job if you're always improving. I've seen it too many times where developers feel like they know everything and/or don't want to learn new stuff. You fall into the "coder" category at that point and then you're basically the guy I tell what to do.

Get better. Learn about patterns and, more importantly, anti-patterns. Oh, and develop to interfaces. Never never never ever to a concrete implementation... Oh and write tests before code, it'll save you time
>>
>>28803686

reee I don't want to get bettet I just want to get paid and take it easy.

>testing

Fucking normie.
>>
File: 1463022269461.png (217 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1463022269461.png
217 KB, 500x500
>>28802959
>because no one uses IPhone and if they do you don't want them using your app anyway
Good business plan.
>>
>>28802844
Every time I'm confused again
>>
>>28803755

See this post ---> >>28803613
>>
>>28803686
I have a meme degree and as expected i cant find a job thats worth anything. I wanted to get into coding but I know jack shit. Where would you begin if you were me and is coding a viable path for the future?
>>
>>28803723
Then stagnate. I work with a guy like that. He's the only PLC programmer we have and he's content with that. He's been in the same position for ten years and he'll never get a raise or a promotion and he pronounces IKEA as "Eekay-a". If you want to be that guy, be that guy. Someone's gotta do it, just don't complain when someone willing to learn and improve takes your job.

If you're really a programmer and you're not writing tests, that's cool but tomorrow when you go in (again, if you're actually a developer), start writing tests. Try it for a week and see how much more positive attention you get. Or don't. I'll never know
>>
Is the app about fighting
>>
>>28803811
If you actually want to start a career in software, sure. But you have to want to. I went back to my alma-mater as a mentor for programming students seeking work-placements and noticed that it's very obvious who is a coder and who is a programmer. Writing code is more about planning than hammering out as much code as possible.

Want to start somewhere? Learn C#. Microsoft gives away Visual Studio Community edition 2015 for free. It's the best programming IDE I've ever used by far and there's a million C# tutorials out there. If you've NEVER programmed ever in your life then you'll have to start with basics. Learn what a variable is. Learn what a loop is, learn what a class is, learn if statements etc...

If you have an email or a Skype I will seriously (try to) teach you for free.
>>
>>28803951
Thanks for the advice so far. I'm interested. My gmail is abbtwine [email protected]
>>
>>28804081
Stupid phone. [email protected]
>>
>>28804098
K I'll send you an email at some point tomorrow at work. Hopefully you don't get spammed too hard. Read up on that stuff in the mean time
>>
>>28803087
Since I'm employed in a department that does lots of programming I didn't do any open source stuff. So I call false meme on that one.
>>
>>28804136
No problem, I'll look out for your e-mail.
>>
>>28803611
MySpace existed before Facebook.
Hotmail existed before Gmail.

Literally everything has been done before, but if OP manages to improve on something that's been done they might have the next big thing.
>>
>>28803611
hey, are you still there Mr 9 year?

I'm another faggot anon.

I want to make a fairly top down pixel shooter video game something akin to Nuclear Throne.

No coding experience whatsoever. What language should I learn? A few people told me Python and a few others told me C++, and a small group said Java.

I'm leaning towards Python right now, but how is it for building a pixel game? Is it decent for making a multiplayer game too? or is C++ better?
>>
>>28803611
There's never any harm in learning a language anon.
>>
If you want to program, learn C and use nothing else.

Don't fall for the object oriented programming meme, it's bloated and inefficient.
>>
>>28804548
It's mostly personal preference but C++ is a total mess. It hase very useful extensions to C, but it is a very bad language to learn programming, as you can't focus on the matter and have to deal with C++ specific warts all the time.
Learning Python is worthwhile because it is a very common scripting language but has inherently bad performance - which isn't too bad in the context of writing a one-man-2D-game. Most heavy lifting can be outsourced to native code with python interface (numpy for handling array data, pygame and the likes for graphics).
Learning C is also worthwhile because it is extremely common (most free software projects in the GNU-diaspora use it, and if you want to be an advanced programmer learning to make changes in free software projects is a good practice).
>>
>>28804763
okay so I noticed you said that python isnt bad for a one man 2d game

what if i wanted to make a multiplayer 2d game?

would python make the cutt? or is C/C++ something I should pick up so there will be less bugs and hacks?
>>
>>28804825
Learn a game engine like unity or unreal. For 2D games you can use Game Maker. Don't code anything from scratch for games, it's a waste of resources.
>>
>>28804825
Just use C. You can do anything in C and it will be tiny and lightweight and efficient and compile on anything up to and including toasters.
>>
If I wanted to only make apps and websites (and app/website combos) which language(s) should i learn and focus on if im starting out?
>>
>>28804825
It's hard to say upfront because the performance hit in Python programs depends very much on how much Python is actually used (to stick with the previous example, adding two 10000x10000 matrices in numpy is as fast as it would be in C, minus an insignificant overhead to call the function in Python).
Akin to numpy for numerics there are many libraries dealing with stuff like graphics, networking, sound, etc using native code.
For learning the very basics (starting from "never wrote a line of code in my life") it doesn't really matter that much because it is more about learning fundamental concepts than learning about how to use a specific library API or system ABI.
Python is good to learn abstract programming tasks (what is a loop, what is variable...), C is good to learn some system specifics (what is an address).
Also C tends to be more buggy and hacky because you have to do memory management on your own, which can and will lead to hard to detect and weird errors. Proper C++ suffers to a less extend from the same problem and memory management in Python is automatic.
>>
>>28804917
If you want to do web programming you won't get around JavaScript because it is pretty much the only client side language that runs in the browser. For the server side it depends, I would recommend Python for simplicity, but PHP is wildly more popular.
>>
File: sicp anime girl 1.jpg (150 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
sicp anime girl 1.jpg
150 KB, 800x800
>>28802430
buy & read SICP
>>
Mr9 Yr
You still here? Can you take down my email and flick me a msg?
>>
how do i get an entry level programming job? i've been coding games and stuff for 3 years (C#, Java, C, Haxe, Javascript). i like coding.
>>
>>28805248
Search for companies doing something you are interested in, advertising a programming related vacancy. Send them a cover letter, short resume and most importantly nice projects of yours.
>>
>>28802430
my Indian friend can do it for you. Tell me the idea.
>>
>>28804939
I might add there is one case where Python doesn't shield you from technical stuff, and that is binary floating point numbers.
0.1 is fine in decimal, but in binary (product of a*2^-n) it is a periodic number, therefore if you periodically add it up you get unexpected rounding errors.

sum([1e-4]*10000)
-> 0.9999999999999062

There is the decimal module of the standard library, but using this numeric type is excruciatingly slow.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.