[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I make 1100 a check now and want to move out. How much should
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5
File: comfysky.jpg (37 KB, 900x672) Image search: [Google]
comfysky.jpg
37 KB, 900x672
I make 1100 a check now and want to move out.
How much should I be looking for when renting an apartment? Would anything over 1000 strangle my bank account?

I also have a 75 buck a month phone bill and my car is paid for. I haven't had to pay car insurance yet so I assume that would be another 100 a month or so
>>
>>28798537
I think the rule of thumb is this:

rent: 40% of your paycheck
save: 20% of your paycheck
everything else: food and health insurance
>>
>>28798537
you get a paycheck every two weeks OP?
>>
You get paid $1k a week? What do you do?
>>
>>28798716
>You get paid $1k a week?
he gets 1k a check

generally salaried people are paid twice a month

also 1k a week is not that much senpai, 4k a month is only 48k a year
>>
>>28798706
I get 1100 every two weeks so 2200 american dollars a month
>>28798716
I do security for the government. So I get benefits too. The 1100 every two weeks is after my health insurance, retirement, and taxes are taken out
>>
>>28798763
bear in mind that the number I provided in the OP is after taxes and insurance are taken out but yeah, I only make 40k a year according to my SF-50
>>
File: 1460495949262.jpg (44 KB, 500x334) Image search: [Google]
1460495949262.jpg
44 KB, 500x334
>>28798782
>retirement
Is this 401k or social security
>>
File: image.png (333 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.png
333 KB, 640x1136
Pic related is my budget just to give you an idea of categories you would want to think of. Of course if necessary some funds roll into others, and some carry from month to month. So if I don't blow my whole fun budget one month, it carries and I add more the next month. I'm planning on living with at least one roommate.
>>
you need a first and last month payment of the lease before they let you move in. Some places may even want the first 3 months in advance as well. Then you'll need a deposit which you can potentially get back, but don't hold out for it.

Also your credit score plays a big part. If you have shitty credit you might need a cosigner though more and more places aren't doing cosigners anymore on leases for apartments.
>>
>>28798844
where do you live OP?

orgian; an aanpam
>>
>>28798537
i make the exact same as you. 1100 every two weeks. my rent is 850, and i have a car payment (200) and utulilties, food, phone, etc., and i have money left over every month. I think 1000 a month in rent is doable for you , especially if you dont have a car payment and insurance payment. just factor in all your monthyl expenses. pge, water, garbage, phone, wi fi, gym membrship.
>>
>>28798824
I pay into social security but I think everyone does.

It's called the Thrift Savings plan and I put 7% of my check while the US gov matches it up to 5%
>>
>>28798782
that's not enough to live comfortably. You'll need two roommates. You'd be better off looking to rent a house with two other people instead of an apartment with one other person. Most two bed apartments only have one bathroom and one of those little mini kitchens.

Location is also a factor. Where I live a 2 bed 1 bath apartment is around 900-1000 a month. but the town 40 miles down the road you can get a 3 bed 2 bath house rented for the same.
>>
>>28798958
it might be doable if you find an apartment that has most of the utilities included in the total bill. Power is starting to get dropped from included utilities but water and gas is generally included with most rent for apartments.
>>
>>28798844
>$50 in savings
>ROFL
Nigga I don't think you understand what the future is, you're fucked on that budget. cut some out of groceries, misc, fun and be a fucking adult. JESUS.
>>
>>28798958

>40 miles

That's a long ass way, dude. Might still be a better deal, but you'd be paying more in gas money.
>>
>>28798922
I'm not OP, but I live in Portland, Oregon where rent is fucking awful. At least $800-$900/month for a shitty one bedroom in the ghetto with a slumlord landlord that won't repair shit.
>>
>>28799053
i didnt mean to imply commuting. Just how different prices are depending on the location. Everyone knows a tiny pod apartment in new york is going to be 5x the price in some midwest town. But it varies in every location. Even the next closest town in the same state in the same county is going to be fairly different in prices. It's kind of hard to say what is or isn't doable for anyone not in the same city/town as you.
>>
Pay 1/3 to 40% of monthly income for rent.
So look for anything that's roughly $900 a month for rent.

In my area that would allow you to live in the nice apartments right next to the university, or in the nice part of town.
>>
>>28799025
He's a wagecuck if he only makes that much money a month retard. Saving isn't possible or viable for him because he could just get on welfare and make close to the same amount.

Fuck off back to /biz/
>>
>>28799025
I dunno about you, but I don't like eating baloney sammiches every day for lunch. I suppose I could reduce my fun budget, but I'm also relying on having my rent expense be lower if I manage a roommate. And dude, shit like toilet paper and stamps and shampoo and cleaning supplies add up. I'd rather over budget and have some left over each month rather than be under budget and have to choose which bill to pay. Anything I don't spend can do to savings. Where's the harm in that?
>>
File: 1411386039435.jpg (670 KB, 950x1000) Image search: [Google]
1411386039435.jpg
670 KB, 950x1000
Jesus Fucking Christ, there is just no point to moving out. Just by living with your parents, assuming you're not paying rent or bills, you're getting like a 16,000 dollar subsidy.
>>
>>28798763
i'm european and i'm always confused with this. 48k a year is pretty good in my country, average income is 18k euros a year. And you're considered relatively successful if you make 2k+ a month.
Is life really that expensive in the US? How much do you pay for gas for example?

Always thought that people were lying when browsing these threads asking how much robots make in a year. Made me feel like shit as well.
>>
>>28799025
>>28799157
>>28799168

Who wants to retire anyways? I didn't think anyone on this board planned on living past 30, let alone 40. I sure as shit don't plan on living past 30. Might as well enjoy the money you have now and call it quits instead of saving up so you can spend your last 10-20 years living in some old folk community home being tended to Tyrone and Maggie Catlady who are content to let you spend your last moments covered in bed sores burning from your own piss because they can't be assed to change your bedding.

By the time anyone working now gets to retirement there wont be any social security and the retirement working age will be in the low 80's. Most people will probably die from cancer or heart attacks before they even get to 70 which is about to be the current retirement age anyways.
>>
>>28799260
40-50k is middle class and perfectly liveable.

The problem is that everyone in America is just a temporarily indisposed millionaire so to them you're not making very much until you have a 6 figure salary.
>>
>>28799260
right now the price is around 2 dollars a gallon. It generally wavers around that sometimes going lower, sometimes higher, but not by much. A gallon of milk is actually a little more expensive than gas. Gas isn't a good indicator of price for comparison against the US. Our gas is subsidized by being the world reserve currency for all oil trade. Or Petro Dollar for you silly Europeans that drive on the wrong side of the road. Not to mention we don't have any real public transportation and a vehicle is a requirement to work in the US more or less. Big cities have buses and trains, but the rest of us need a car to live as an adult.
>>
>>28799376
Yeah i need a car too, i live in a poor part of the countryside and we don't have public transportation. Thank you for the clarifications
>>28799336
Well middle-class here is ~20k depending on where you live. For example i'm able to rent a medium sized house for 500e a month, i only earn the minimum wage (14k a year, 1.2 a month) while people in Paris will not be able to live with the minimum wage. They will have to live in the suburbs and spend hours in traffic or in public transportation just to go to work.
And we don't even gas anymore because of protesters and strikes all around the country so wageslaves are pretty much fucked kek
>>
File: open neutral.png (9 KB, 616x97) Image search: [Google]
open neutral.png
9 KB, 616x97
>>28799269
If you save for retirement and then one day decide to kill yourself, suddenly you've got a giant nest-egg to waste on degeneracies and peacocking before you do the deed.

When Trump gets in office, retirement will work again because the next generation will be making taxable income and thus contributing to your old-person NEETbux.

>>28799336
>40-50k is middle class and perfectly liveable
Seriously, there's nothing wrong with that kind of a wage. I spent three years starting at 18k and ending at roughly 21k a year. To be fair I was in one of America's cheapest cities but I still lived in a comfortable low-crime neighborhood, went out to eat all the time, and went on several cross-country vacations. I even bought a motorcycle and a second car during that period of time. I'm currently making 30k and it's honestly very liveable, people are fed this idea that they need to own a five-bedroom McMansion in Shitburb and three brand-new cars or else they're on the verge of poverty.

I once read an article on one of those libshit rags where the author (a woman, of course) said she and her husband made 150k and it was barely enough to make ends meet. I can't even grasp how people, in my experience my fellow Americans, can be so tremendously bad with their financial planning that anyone could actually say that.

For further mindfuck, I lived for some of that "18k-21k wage" time with a girl who made roughly the same amount of money I did. She had no outstanding expenses, parents paid for her car, etc., and she still lived hand-to-mouth and was late on rent nearly every month. I can't fathom what these fucking retards even do with their money, or how they can be so tremendously bad at financial management.
>>
>>28798537
who is the idiot that made k stand for a thousand . should it be a t ?
>>
>>28800938
>kilo
you have to go back please my friend go back now
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.