[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
anyone else who produces any kind of art have such low self esteem
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3
File: 1452525466804.png (318 KB, 522x569) Image search: [Google]
1452525466804.png
318 KB, 522x569
anyone else who produces any kind of art have such low self esteem that they can't handle feedback?

i almost never post my work online, but when i do a single negative comment will make me stop doing any work for like a week. even when i can see that it's blatantly someone just trying to shit on me for the sake of it. that and you can never be good enough for people, someone will always come along and say stop wrtiing/making art making until you're better, it's a never ending cycle.
>>
File: 1414188517074.jpg (199 KB, 795x1241) Image search: [Google]
1414188517074.jpg
199 KB, 795x1241
>>28793044

I play piano, not once have I ever recorded myself or let anyone else hear me play, it's for my ears only. If I did drawings or anything like that it'd be the same.

"My gardening in the course of the years has become nothing but a hermit's pastime without any practical meaning -- that is to say, it has a meaning for me alone."

- Hermann Hesse
>>
>>28793044
I posted on /aco/ once and got horribly bullied to the point other posters in the thread told the guy to shut up and stop being an asshole
That was about a year ago, I havent posted online outside of my facebook/instagram since
>>
I write a lot but i have never once posted my works anywhere or shown anyone. Most of the time actually, I will feel like shit reading it because my writing is shit so in the end it goes nowhere
>>
>>28793994
I'd love to see your lewds but I can understand why you wouldn't post them. Sorry that happened
>>
File: images (8)-1.jpg (15 KB, 152x143) Image search: [Google]
images (8)-1.jpg
15 KB, 152x143
I'm a writer and I have very, very low self-esteem to the point of having a personality disorder. Strangely, though, my writing is the only thing in my life that I feel somewhat confident about. Everyone will have something to say about the art you create, and it's your job as the artist to determine which bits of advice would genuinely improve your piece and which bits of advice would worsen it. Most advice falls into the latter category.

Before I dropped out of college I did many writing workshops in which a story of mine was reviewed by thirteen students and a professor. In one, I listened to everything they had to say and the only piece of advice I wound up incorporating was to change a single line of dialogue, as suggested by a student. Everyone else--professor included--gave me advice that was simply wrong for the piece. I mentally filed all of their suggestions under the "fuck off" category of critique-reception and only made the one tiny edit. Two hours of critique and the only thing it resulted in was one changed line, but I was glad for it. That story wound up being published by the first journal I sent it to.

Honestly, you have to kill your ego and look at your art from a purely objective standpoint. What makes it better, makes it better. What doesn't, doesn't. You can't take criticism personally, you have to look at it, always, as potential for improvement. Most people don't know what the fuck they're talking about but it doesn't mean they're always wrong; likewise, the people who do know what they're talking about aren't always right--not even close.

The art you create is a reflection of you. Channel everything thrown at you into improving it, and, by extension, improving yourself. Stop stopping yourself from being the best artist you can be.
>>
>>28794784
good post, thanks anon

original
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.