[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people tripfag? Why do people come here, to our anonymous
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 8
File: 1463761778405.png (321 KB, 480x650) Image search: [Google]
1463761778405.png
321 KB, 480x650
Why do people tripfag?

Why do people come here, to our anonymous hideout, and try to get attention?

Why is tripfagging allowed?
>>
it's mostly women
and normies
truly the cancer of 4chan
>>
>>28786839
>and try to get attention?
/thread

but seriously all tripfags should cuck off and die
>>
File: bfgfapplication6.jpg (949 KB, 2967x1232) Image search: [Google]
bfgfapplication6.jpg
949 KB, 2967x1232
>>28786839
>Why do people tripfag?
To be noticed!

>Why do people come here, to our anonymous hideout, and try to get attention?
Because they can!

>Why is tripfagging allowed?
Not against the rules!
>>
I always figured it was the result of people such as yourself providing them more attention than the average anonymous poster.

Obviously I can't prove it but I reckon just having a trip increases the amount of responses you get in a given thread, I practically never see a trip user without three or more per post regardless of what it is they're saying.

Not to mention if they say they're female or perhaps become an unpopular male user they get a following, resulting in a great deal of threads being made about them.
>>
>>28786874
>To be noticed!
you can be noticed when you post anonymously
>Because they can!
this is a very unsatisfactory answer
>>
>>28786839
There are many solutions to the tripfag problem.

>make trips thread-wide (salt them with the thread id)
>make trips exclusive with names (impossible to use a name and a trip at the same time)
>make trips graphical (a pattern of dots)
>>
>>28786890
>you can be noticed when you post anonymously

This. If you haven't been repeatedly asked to adopt a trip so that people can filter you, you're doing it wrong.
>>
File: 1464052481656.jpg (21 KB, 640x619) Image search: [Google]
1464052481656.jpg
21 KB, 640x619
The only reason you should have a tripcode or name is if

>you are making a thread, or series of threads that require you specifically to reply to posters. That way posters can identify you as the OP

Otherwise you are nothing but a pathetic faggot, and need to re-evaluate why you use this website. The whole point of 4chan is the anonymity. If you want to get attention, upvotes, or replies, use Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, etc.

Get the fuck off our website you parasitic fucks.
>>
>>28786839
So you can filter the attention-whoring shitposters. It's kind of a godsend. Now if anyone has figured out a way to automatically hide all posts that respond to filtered trip posts, please let me know.
>>
>>28786839
Its a core part of the culture, you don't want to ruin everything, do you? :(
>>
File: 1461621334192.jpg (69 KB, 606x496) Image search: [Google]
1461621334192.jpg
69 KB, 606x496
>>28787062
>mfw tripfags actually believe this
>>
>>28787057
I believe that 4chan X extension or something allows chain-hiding posts.
>>
>>28787082
Sorry that you hate the site you're on?
>>
>>28787109
>he thinks that sentence made sense as a question
>>
>>28787129
>he can't understand basic english
>>
>>28787140
>he doesn't know what basic english is
>>
>>28787129
>>28787146
Shh, anon. Tripfags are all quantity > quality. I don't recall a single instance of a tripfags being funny.
>>
File: 1457919327930.png (15 KB, 1304x296) Image search: [Google]
1457919327930.png
15 KB, 1304x296
>>28786839
>to our anonymous hideout
>>
>>28787146
>he can't comprehend something as simple as the concept and rules of english

>>28787161
>Tripfags are all quantity > quality.
At least they have one, you have neither
>>
>>28787181
wtf are you talking about anonymous posters make up a huge percentage of all of 4chan and all of the quality comes from anonymous posters too you fucking idiot jesus christ
>>
>>28787166
This argument is flawed. Freedom to disrupt the board is not the good kind of freedom. 'Freedom to trip' is like 'freedom to shitpost'.
>>
>>28787190
One of them is not all of them, if you can comprehend that
>>
>>28787195
>>28787166
And please don't confuse the phrase 'to limit board disruption' for limiting freedom of expression and so on. Enabling excessive tripfagging *narrows* freedom of expression through the perfectly understood phenomenon of driving away egoless anonymous posters, while giving nothing in return.
>>
>>28787195
Your argument is flawed. Having a tripcode doesn't automatically make you a shitposter. Besides, shitposting IS allowed in general, and I don't see people complain about that as much as they complain about tripping, because anti-trip autists are usually the biggest shitposters as well. I know that very well, because I'm a former tripfriend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3OTgTyujtE
>>
>>28787220
>Your argument is flawed. Having a tripcode doesn't automatically make you a shitposter.

Those two sentences next to each other. Holy shit, the irony.

>shitposting IS allowed in general

We must be careful to disambiguate. It's allowed in the sense of we can mostly post whatever, but it's not allowed, it's even mentioned in the FAQ, in the sense of disruption and egoistic derailment towards identity, which is what tripfags do.
>>
>>28787217
>>28787244
In short, 4chan's goal should be to 'give as much freedom as possible' within the broader parametres of good, anonymous discourse. Otherwise this argument turns into 'freedom includes the freedom to attack others' nonsense.
>>
>>28787244
>in the sense of disruption and egoistic derailment towards identity, which is what tripfags do.
I speak from experience when I say that, the huge majority of the time, it's anti-trip assholes who cause disruption by angrily calling attention to a tripcode by sperging out, out of nowhere, while the trip user is just trying to discuss normally.

You can argue that it wouldn't happen if tripcodes didn't exist in the first place, and you would be right, but keep in mind that tripcodes are allowed and always have been (except for in a few truly anonymous board like /b/, which you should go back to), so it's really you guys who are in the wrong. Also, you're contributing to the problem even further by making good people drop their tripcode by bullying them for no reason, while the attention-whores who actually enjoy being bullied for the attention will just be encouraged to continue. Again, I know all of that because I've experienced it first-hand for YEARS.
>>
>>28787109
>>28787062
>>28787140
>>28787181
I genuinly want you to fucking kill yourself you peice of human garbage

dont post here ever again
>>
>>28787309
Why do you hate me ?
What did I ever do to you?
:*(
>>
>>28787337
get off my website

stop running this place into the ground

you are worse than summerfags

you are worse than avatarfags

you are the worst kind of poster possible
>>
>>28787297
>the trip user is just trying to discuss normally

This might have been an *occasional* thing some years ago, but I doubt much of it has remained.

>tripcodes are allowed and always have been

As a result of the aforeexplained misconception about 'giving choice'. Proper ways of 'giving choice' to posters include, for instance, increasing the image size limits, decreasing the cooldown interval, or reintroducing sage. Because those endow the poster with ways to express themselves within the meritorical, equal discussion. Enabling tripfagging overrules the governing principle of the site and is an anomaly.
>>
>>28787337
You're a faggot who trips. Whether you admit it or not you're a piece of shit who lowers the quality of the board.
>>
>>28787365
>sage
*visible sage
>>
>>28787366
Yeah because people sitting around attacking people for no reason (i.e. you) are sooooo much better
>>
>>28787212
Take off your tripcode, tie it to the ceiling and fucking kill yourself.
>>
>>28787365
>This might have been an *occasional* thing some years ago, but I doubt much of it has remained.
It used to be the majority, but, as I said, you guys have bullied most of the good ones into dropping, so nearly only the attention whore remain.

>or reintroducing sage.
I totally agree with you here. Visible sage was also an important part of 4chan culture and removing it was one of Moot's biggest mistakes.

>Enabling tripfagging overrules the governing principle of the site and is an anomaly.
Only if you assume that being anonymous is a "governing principle", but it isn't true and never has been. You have the option of anonymity and the option of using an identification.
>>
>>28787392
> no reason

the reasoning is clear. it's because you are a raging faggot.
>>
>>28787166
Hmm. So, if you want something to be there it just has to? I want a big fucking tub of Nutella to devour, should somebody allow that?
4chan doesn't need tripfags, they're leeches that feed on attention.
>>
>>28787392
>no reason

This is a meta thread about tripfags. I'm being off-topic attacking you here at all. Not everyone likes to bend over and tolerate attention whores like yourself. I know what wanting attention feels like - I have to consciously limit myself to only using a trip in threads that require one like /r9k/ parliament.
>>
>>28787452
*not

oregano
>>
>>28787411
>Only if you assume that being anonymous is a "governing principle"

It is a principle of discussion in general (which imageboards have clearly referenced in their groundbreaking making anonymity the default). Otherwise 'appeal to authority' and 'substance > form (the latter including the poster's identity)' wouldn't even become a thing.
>>
>>28787487
>>28787411
In short, anonymity being the principle is proven by the lone fact that it's the default. The Name field isn't even prepopulated with the string 'Anonymous', it's just left empty.
>>
File: yougottahateyourself.jpg (196 KB, 1048x926) Image search: [Google]
yougottahateyourself.jpg
196 KB, 1048x926
Honestly, it's out of laziness, well for r9k at least. I forgot to detrip when coming here and retrip when I was back in the threads this one is for.
>>28787452
Hire do you remember to de/retrip? I kept forgetting and just stopped entirely.
>>
>>28787506
>de/retrip

This gave me another possible solution: salt trips with the current date, so that they expire.
>>
>>28787439
>I want a big fucking tub of Nutella to devour, should somebody allow that?
Normally you should be old enough to decide for yourself what you can eat, yes. Society isn't stopping you from eating a tub of Nutella. What you're NOT allowed to do is to go to another person's house and tell them they're not allowed to eat a tub of Nutella.
>>28787487
>>28787504
Obviously, in a situation where being anonymous is allowed, anonymous is going to be the default, since the site can't guess by itself what your identification is going to be if you get one.
>>
>>28787519
>Obviously, in a situation where being anonymous is allowed, anonymous is going to be the default

Good that you agreed with me, although shitty of you to try to misrepresent it as circular reasoning. Also you're wrong, a site can require registration and then allow an opt-in of 'show my posts as anonymous'. This would be actually pretty practical for a number of reasons.
>>
File: 1459128166982.jpg (181 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
1459128166982.jpg
181 KB, 900x675
>>28787516
But that would make them all secure, and secure tripcodes are for jerks. :^)
>>
>>28787546
No actually, security of tripcodes refers to there being an unknown (site-wide) hash, not a known one (everyone knows the current date, so it would be still possible to bruteforce 'the trip of the day' so to say.)
>>
>>28787516
Doesn't matter because no one else can ever be just like me
>>
>>28787564
>>28787546
(Of course, there could still be day-sentitive AND secure trips at the same time.)
>>
>>28787519
No no, I'm not talking just a regular old tub of Nutella, my friend.
I mean a fucking Nutella tub to pierce the heavens. This Nutella tub will make me 500lbs should I choose to devour it, and it makes people around me majorly uncomfortable and resent me. Should I make the innocent people pissed while indulging myself?
>>
>>28787545
I concede that this would be possible, but this method doesn't make sense in the context of an imageboard where you never register an account, even if you want an identification. Here it's logical that anonymity is the default (which nobody denies). But again, it's a choice, and having a persistent identification has always been allowed. You should fight against shitposting instead of against tripping, but we both know you don't really want shitposting gone.
>>28787581
Not funny.
>>
File: imshit.png (42 KB, 232x339) Image search: [Google]
imshit.png
42 KB, 232x339
>>28787564
>>28787579
I was just memeing with that desu. I feel you on that, but what about much vanity trips?
I mean desu, I'm in the wrong here with tripping anyway, this isn't a general that maintains reoccurring shitposters, so I shouldn't be tripping, but remembering to de-trip, esp on clover when I'm being cucked by Goldberg, is hard. ;-;
I really like your idea though. It should be implemented on a few experimental boards like the robot is on this one, or when r9k 1.0 was here and it was experimental. I still like muh trips that spell words..
>>
>>28787643
It isn't meant to be funny. It's showing that just because you want something doesn't mean it's good. While tripfags bask in their attention they also disturb and often completely derail threads.
>>
>>28787666
Let me ask you, have you ever had a persistent tripcode that you personally used on many threads?
>>
>>28787506
You just erase the name field so it's blank. If your browser is set up to store history (which it usually is by default), then next time you'll just need to type "p" for pleb and the rest of it'll come up.
>>
>>28787680
I namefagged for a week or two, but then realised that the general consensus was that I wasn't welcome. Only other times I've consistently used trips are playing RISK on /int/ and Parliament of /r9k/
>>
>>28787643
>You should fight against shitposting instead of against tripping

This is the eternal 'don't blame the person, blame the behaviour' fallacy, which makes as much sense as 'don't punish abusers, rather teach people self-defense'. (>inb4 someone miscompares this to the 'don't tell women to dress slutty...' thing; my point is that we should oppose BOTH shitposting and tripping that leads to it).

>>28787645
>remembering to de-trip

Well, it should be possible to write a userscript that remembers the thread in which you used the trip and asks for confirmation to remove it as soon as you post in another one, or something like that. I'm not sure if 4chan populates the Name field in server- or client-side.

>I still like muh trips that spell words..

If anything, trips should be made less pronounceable/memorizable, not more. They aren't for you to be *remembered*, they are there so your identity can be compared and imposers detected.
>>
>>28787736
*not to dress slutty
>>
>>28787725
>I namefagged for a week or two, but then realised that the general consensus was that I wasn't welcome.
So you too should know, by experience, that the biggest thread disruptors are not usually tripfriends, but people who bash on them indiscriminately for doing something that they're allowed to do. That's the problem behavior. It's akin to bullying kids in school for being different from others, and you know that bullies are usually also usually the biggest assholes and class disruptors as well, just like anti-tripfags are in threads.
>>28787736
>This is the eternal 'don't blame the person, blame the behaviour' fallacy
Not at all. I'm saying blame both the person and the behavior, but tripping isn't an inherently bad behavior and doesn't make you a bad person. That's the fundamental thing we disagree on, and 4chan's History and leadership are on my side, not on yours.
>>
>>28787781
>It's akin to bullying kids in school for being different from others

Not funny.

>tripping isn't an inherently bad behavior

LITERALLY NOTHING is inherently bad. 'Murder is not inherently bad because what if the person getting murdered wants to be dead hurr'. Obviously all discussion of whether something should be implemented relies on statistical correlations, retard.
>>
>>28787781
Not really. I know now that I was namefagging for attention seeking purposes and the bashing snapped me out of it.
It's like calling an emo kid a fag for cutting himself, sounds harsh but it's the best way to get the stupid fucker go either stop or kill himself once and for all.
>>
>>28787140
>look at me! I choose to build a reputation as an offensive jerk!
that is why you should be anonymous.
Do you really want people to think that's what you're all about?
>>
>>28787816
>>28787781
In other words, again, it's fine to 'be different', but only when your intent is factual discussion. A library is all for 'difference' of various books, but it's no place to keep toys.
>>
>>28787873
>>28787781
And before you say that what I'm implying is imposition of arbitrary standards of type/register/subject of discussion -- 4chan ALREADY has such. It's not that no permutation of Unicode (or, in case of /r9k/, ASCII) characters is going to be deleted. Random dfgdfgdfg and xD-tier posts are still going to be deleted. It would be perfectly consistent to move the threshold a bit higher, above your regular trip user.
>>
>>28787927
(For instance, to conclude that dumb attention seeking actually belongs with said fghfghfgh and xD posts.)
>>
>>28786839
I don't really know why I tripfag. I was an anon for years and 1 day just decided to put a trip on...
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.