[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Christianity saved me, and it can save you too. Will you convert?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 7
Christianity saved me, and it can save you too. Will you convert?
>>
>>28770305
>Will you convert?

ls it true?
>>
>>28770305
I want to believe in God, I really do. But it all seems too unlikely. Too much like a fairy story invented by men who can't face the fact that there's nothing after death.
>>
I already deconverted. I'm not willing to reconvert. I don't find it worth believing in.
>>
>>28770305
Can it cure my manletism and dickletism?Thought so
>>
>>28770305
I'm already Christian anon
>>
File: 1458810212105.jpg (8 KB, 325x264) Image search: [Google]
1458810212105.jpg
8 KB, 325x264
>>28770370
> le fairy story may may

Why do atheists seem to think they know everything about religion? Do you ACTUALLY believe that religion was started by men who were afraid to face death? What has lead you to believe this?
>>
>>28770462
>Do you ACTUALLY believe that religion was started by men who were afraid to face death?

LITERALLY what it is
>>
File: JEt9ZUj.png (117 KB, 320x263) Image search: [Google]
JEt9ZUj.png
117 KB, 320x263
>>28770485
So we're just rewriting history now? Have you read any books on philosophy or history before?

I thought atheists were intellectually superior
>>
>>28770462
It either helped face death or helped control or helped a community or something. It probably spread from roman soldiers passivly resisting their higher ups. Then the emperor eventually converted. Its been popular since.

But theres no reason to believe stories told after the death of Jesus, by people who never met him, about things that are impossible. Theres no reason to believe that the human race came from two created individuals. Theres no reason to worship a god that commits attocities. Seriously fuck YHVH. If I convert to any religion it'll probably be hinduism, Buddhism, or Shinto. Which are at least better allegories.
>>
>>28770539
> It probably spread from roman soldiers passivly resisting their higher ups. Then the emperor eventually converted. Its been popular since.

haha, yeah bro just those dumb roman soldiers being resistant and shit. that must be why jesus exists, i totally get you man

>Theres no reason to believe that the human race came from two created individuals
> He takes divine speech literally

> Theres no reason to worship a god that commits attocities

Such as?
>>
>>28770370
well anon, if you think of it like this;
existence as a whole is God, and when we accomplish something, we do it through God (or we are God) I remember one day I was watching supercross and I think it was Ryan Dungey who was like "I thank God" and I was like dafuq mang God wasn't the one rippin through that track, but maybe we accomplish shit through him or we are him, and after death, when we do good in life, we can rest happy with thing not left unfinished, or rest in regret for our bad deeds.
>>
>>28770462
I'm not an atheist, I'm an agnostic. I have no way of knowing the truth, but it seems more likely to me that there isn't a God.
>>
>>28770446
It can make you disregard those things and help you lead a worthy life. These are not inherit problems, lack of food, water, health, community and faith are.
>>
>>28770537
http://philpapers.org/profile/11210/myview.html

>libertarian free will
>moral realist
>platonist
>A theory of time
>further fact view of personal identity
>rationalist (wrote the best defense of the synthetic a priori and BTFO'd quine's two dogmas)

This guy is so close to the average theist philosophically I'm surprised he's an atheist
>>
>>28770628
But God said that we should reproduce as much as we can yet made me like that.You either never read the bible or just twist it whatever you feel like.Of course its not a problem yet 3rd world subhumans have minimum 10kids each.
>>
Will christianity give me a gf?
>>
>>28770694
A short penis won't stop you from reproducing, neither does your height. You are as functional as me or anyone.
>>
>>28770632
I can't access any of his stuff, what was his defense of synthetic a priori?
>>
>>28770462
>What has lead you to believe this?
Historical fact and lack of any evidence to the contrary.
>>
>>28770599
Jesus might have been a historical person, but there's no first hand accounts.

If you ignore the garden of eden, you ignore original sin.

How about the great flood?
>>
>>28770718
Yeah sure it wont IF PEOPLE DIDNT HAVE HIGH REQUIREMENTS YOU MORON
>>
>>28770537
I guessed I missed the history book that talked about how god is responsible for everything. Is that from an Iranian public school or something?
>>
>>28770604
So... Hinduism then?
>>
>>28770737
> Historical fact
> He doesn't know that philosophy of religion exists and has existed for thousands of years

I tip my fedora to you sir
>>
>>28770628
Why would i want to live a worthy life?
>>
>>28770726
http://www.univpgri-palembang.ac.id/perpus-fkip/Perpustakaan/Filsafat/Epistemologi/In%20defense%20of%20pure%20reason%20(1).pdf

Full pdf of his book
>>
Religion is a mental illness.
>>
>>28770765
My claim was that religion wasn't "started" due to a fear of death

You were taught reading comprehension on /r/atheism, right?
>>
I became a Christian. I am frustrated by most of the people who call themselves that. They take it up thinking they need to be at war with the world when they aren't even ready to go to war with themselves. It's really hard for me, it's always been my whole life. I've always believed in the teachings of Jesus but I found fundamentalists to be so repulsive that I just avoided it. When I went through an especially traumatic period of my life I decided to repent and be baptized. Now I see these things getting worse. I am not ashamed to admit I'm a Christian but these people make me not want to advertise it. I want people to get to know me first then find it out. Maybe then they will respect me and my religion as well.
>>
>>28770763
A good christian wife won't care about your penis size
>>
>>28770886
Yeah because they dont exist.
>inb4 muh exception
Even hollywood stars get cheated
>>
>>28770926
You can't come into a thread about Christianity and expect us to care about Hollywood stars. This isn't TMZ, this isn't your MGTOW subreddit either. Find another place to preach buddy.
>>
>>28770305
I already have, my bud.
>>
>>28770926
Nothing I can say will convince you, but I hope one day you will find yourself among a good community and that you are proven wrong. I was surprised once I learned the truth.
>>
>>28770978
Do you have braind damage or just shit reading comprehension.With hollywood stars I meant that they are the most desired people and if they can easily get cheated then me who have small dick size and height have no chance of proper relationship.
>>
>>28771147
They get cheated on by men and women with no morals, just as your average mcdonalds worker gets cheated on or maybe an accountant. People of all castes get cheated on, but not of all beliefs (if the spouse shares the beliefs that is).
>>
>>28771069
My family raised me christen and i can help but feel that they related on god to much.

My mother had a good career( she was like a executive manger) then quit to a shitty home daycare with her sister.

She ask god to bless her and keep taking about how god is coming and she doesn't have to worry the time on this earth.

She had to use our college funds to pay bills.

in other word, god create problem. You get one chance at life deal with it.
>>
>>28770537
That's RIGHT! We Christians need to show those ATHEIST BULLIES what they realy look like! Hahaha! XD
>>
I used to be a Christian until I saw all the degeneracy of the so called believers and the bible itself. As I got older I started to see all the contradictions in the people and the holy book itself. Around five or six years ago I cut off all ties with religion unless it is a mandatory thing to not be shunned from the society. With five years of self reflection and searching for the true god inside me, my main moral compass and guide was over time turning extremely to that of the foundations of the Taoism.

After researching it for a few months my beliefs are now hardcoded into that of the Taoists even if I am not Taoist myself.

It can be summarized to "Just be true to yourself" or said as "Just be yourself." I really hated that when the people were saying that to me for they knew absolutely nothing about me or my inner process. To be true to yourself as possible just act without filters (but with slight restraints for your safety) and if you have a thought passing trough your mind like "I should do x thing now but I can't be bothered" then JUST DO IT (Sorry for the mandatory Shia Labeouf).

It removed most of my tension and anxiety. I also took care of my health and surprisingly I didn't feel like shit after a week of sustained posture, tone, breathing, mental, bodily exercises.

I now can't be bothered with pursuing relationships (why is it so hard to have a real cuddlebuddy), have a well paid job and am popular in my circles and I couldn't be here without my fellow robots. Most of you guys are great guys but your self esteem is too low. Strive to improve yourself in any way you can think of and live will not get much better, but you will be free from the shit that binds you to the perpetual circle of self-loathing.
>>
>>28771222
I am sorry for your mother's bad decision making and poor rationalizing but that was not an act of Christianity but of her own selfishness.
>>
>>28771147
To be totally honest most Hollywood relationships are either fake or open. Rich people live very different lives than we do. I can't really compare mine to say Donald Trump's, I can't just buy a new wife every time I need one, nahmean? As such I live by a very different type of moral code and I make sure anybody that gets close to me is compatible with it. If money and sex are the most important things to you then you're not going to become my friend let alone get married to me. It doesn't mean I live a celibate life with no money but it does mean I don't value those things as much as my morals.
>>
>>28771198
Are you trying to tell me that Christians don't cheat?I live in a "orthodox" country where people usually pretend to have some dignity and morals and yet its the same as the west.
>>
>>28770761
>If you ignore the garden of eden, you ignore original sin.

Original sin is the idea of imperfection rendered through human free will (ie. Iranaean Theodicy). You don't have to accept the garden of eden as having literally existed to believe that

> How about the great flood?

If God exists, and is true to his classical attributes, wouldn't you expect everything he does to be benevolent? It's a logical inconsistency to claim that God can commit atrocities
>>
>>28771323
Christians are imperfect, Christ isn't
>>
>>28771329
>It's a logical inconsistency to claim that God can commit atrocities
It really isn't, god's creation was so wicked it was better to start it over again. He has created life and has all right to revoke it. God didn't create suffering people did, he had the mercy to put them out of their misery.
>>
>>28771290
>In the case, Fuck god. the moral are good but everything is utter shit. All god does is enable losers to justify there bad mistakes.
>>
>>28771298
I don't even care that much about sex and would have no problem to even wait before marriage etc but the thought that I will die alone seem to be a reality which I don't want to participate in.But anyway im poor and can't even enjoy money so you could say i'm not that materialistic.Still doesn't help with anything
>>
>>28771420
kek how fast you change your positions.
>>
The religion doesn't matter. Religion is mostly living guidelines as well as myths and mistranslations. Albeit, many guidelines in the bible are very wise.

Spirituality is all that matters though, in terms of beliefs.

I find it funny that people don't believe in God when we exist in this rich, infinite universe. None of this should be possible, from an understanding outside of a miracle of God. How could any of this be possible? How, if science were to find the theoretical "god particle" (which they never will, because it doesn't exist), could that ever prove how life is possible? Everything is metaphysical. All your thoughts, senses and experiences of reality. Imagine they present this particle. How can it create something when blocked together if it's supposedly "inanimate" and "the most fundamental material in the universe"?
>>
>>28771563
If you don't care that much about it then why are you so obsessed with cheating women? Any time someone talks about a woman you or someone like you needs to bring it up. Yes, we know women cheat. If you want to discuss it make a thread for it. As a Christian I'm not stupid enough to believe that just because someone, female or otherwise, calls themselves a Christian I can trust them. I saw this thing on TV about a guy that was married and his wife cheated on him with someone she met in the church. He was a stupid cuck and even let her and their kids go on vacation with the guy. In the end she convinced the new guy to murder him.

If I was in that guy's position it wouldn't have gotten that far. But what you do is on you. I double and triple and quadruple and so on and so forth check anyone that comes into my life. If something happens they're out of it. It's that simple.
>>
>>28771502
God as a 'concept' possesses omnibenevolence. This means that for the classical God to exist, he must be necessarily omnibenevolent (It is an inseparable predicate of God)

What you're saying is this

> A being which only does supremely perfect acts can simultaneously commit acts which are not supremely perfect

You see how this is a logical inconsistency?

> God didn't create suffering people did, he had the mercy to put them out of their misery.

This is what I was talking about with the Iranaean theodicy. Why would God create human only to interject in their lives if they strayed from him? Wouldn't this cause every relationship with God to be superficial and therefore worthless? It would seem that in a world created by God, there would need to be a level of epistemic distance. That is to say, our relationships with God would be more wholesome if it seemed no God existed at all

So you're right, people created evil in this world. But once more, it would be inconsistent to claim that this world is imperfect if you ALSO claim that God exists. How could this world not be the best possible world if we are under a supremely perfect being? God as an omniscient being knew what this world would be like, and that's what he planned for
>>
>>28771599
I'm a different guy my man
>>
>>28770791
>"philosophy is the same thing as historical fact"
lol
>>
>>28771704
Because it happens way too often obviously and its not some meme.I see way too marriages that end with cheating or alimony where the male is completely fucked.
>>
>>28771800
> the fedora tippers were never taught reading comprehension

My claim was that religion was not born out of man's fear of death

You said that history dictates otherwise

I said that religious philosophy has existed for so long, that all modern religions (and some old desert ones), at their inception, were based on far more evidence than just the notion that "death is scary" (primarily, they are based on cosmology and ontology

The fact that this philosophy existed is the fact, not the content of the philosophy itself
>>
>>28771807
If it was me I would be in another country and I wouldn't pay a dime of it. It won't be me though because I'm not stupid enough to get involved with someone like that. You can complain about evil women all you want but as long as there's someone stupid enough to want to start a relationship with someone who's already in one it's always going to happen. Worse yet there are people dumb enough to kill someone and rot in prison over a vagina.

Anyway besides all of that there's more to my life than earthly possessions, more than money. It would take a lot more than that to ruin me.
>>
File: 0.jpg (62 KB, 780x780) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
62 KB, 780x780
>>28770708
>ywn have a sweet Christian wife whose loyal and you raise a happy family together
>>
>tfw literally a modern day Job
I try my best to keep faith, I really do but sometimes it's hard when more and more obstacles get in my way
>>
Well, I am a 25 year old cyborg with a small but not negligible experience of both worlds of shutin autismo and pure normie life. The true questioning of my worldview is happening slowly in the last several months and I have to say I am coming closer to truly believing every week.

All the meaningness in those "important thing", lack of goodness empathy and love in people is what I think slowly made me look at this angle. I have to say, the biggest issue why I think so many people - including my past self - don't believe in this modern world is because we are convinced it's hard and because our firsthand experience with Christianity is with skewed people and skewed effects of institutions and groups (i.e. dumb notions of creationism or persecution of non-Christians). I believe the answer to the latter problem is accepting that shitty people do shitty things and that this belief is really against that.

The answer to the former and I think more important problem is modern theology. Truly my tipping point started by listening to modern theologians - Ravi Zacharias and especially William Lane Craig. Theology by some people truly and thoroughly tackles questions many of us have today but actually many of past people had for several hundred years - "why suffering, why should the resurrection be true, why the Christian teachings have a sounder founding, what about the origin of the universe in regards to modern physics, what about the New Atheist groups most thoughtful arguments (Dawkins, Hitchens, Harris), why should God be loving" - discussion of these have a very sound foundation in regards to the modern worldview thanks to modern theologians, and for an objective path finding should be considered with philosophical inquiry.

At the end of the day it all comes to the "le open heart meme" which actually means in a way an objective chance for evaluation of these thought out arguments.

As said by a student at one of Craigs speech - theology can make belief easy.
>>
God cannot be all-powerful, all-knowing, and all loving all at once.
If God allows evil, he is not all-loving.
If God allows evil because he cannot stop it, he is not all-powerful or all-knowing.
God cannot be all of these things at once, which the bible asserts he is.
The Bible also asserts to follow God's word. Christians cherry-pick the Bible.
Do not forget about all of the fucked up shit the Bible contains.
>>
>>28773331
>If God allows evil, he is not all-loving.
>If God allows evil because he cannot stop it, he is not all-powerful or all-knowing.
>God cannot be all of these things at once, which the bible asserts he is.

> Baby's first philosophy

God can stop evil; he is omnipotent

God is aware of the existence of evil;, he is omniscient

A world containing free will, in which there will inherently be evil, is altogether more valuable than a world which does not contain free will. A world without free will would lack the epistemic distance required to form a relationship with God, therefore such a world would be akin to a world of superficial God-loving robots. In order to form a wholesome relationship with God, it is required that we have the freedom to choose to form this relationship (evil, according to the Iranaean Theodicy, is a bi-product of this choice)

Furthermore, it is foolish to group God's classical attributes together, and then claim that they are incompatible based solely on empirical evidence in our universe. God, as supremely perfect and powerful, would only have chosen the best possible world for humans to live in. It is logically inconsistent to claim otherwise, and therefore the problem of evil is stunted. What authority do you have to suggest that our world is not supremely (divinely, cosmologically) perfect?
>>
>>28773490

>A world containing free will...

Libertarian free will or compatibilist free will?

Pick one and stick with it.
>>
File: 1463951219213.jpg (144 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
1463951219213.jpg
144 KB, 550x550
If you're a Christian and browse /r9k/ then you're not a real Christian. A real Christian would stay clear of this website. """Christ"""fags kys
>>
>my religion out of the thousands of other religions is the real one since uhhhh... well it's MY religion

sure thing normie drone
>>
>>28773563

This is ultimately trivial and irrelevant to the problem. Philosophers like Flew proposed that compatibilism could make free will possible without evil, but the general consensus is that both result in at least some evil

> Pick one and stick with it.

I did?
>>
>>28773729

>This is ultimately trivial and irrelevant to the problem.

No it's not. They're two completely different things.

You say there's "free will", right?

What do you mean by "free will"?
>>
>>28773785

It could be either, it doesn't change the fact that free will is conducive to evil

Give me an example of how "what I mean by free will" is relevant to the logical problem of evil
>>
Here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_pleading
>>
>>28774126
What is this a reply to?
>>
>>28774205
>What is this a reply to?

your mom
>>
File: merlin.jpg (906 KB, 3000x2250) Image search: [Google]
merlin.jpg
906 KB, 3000x2250
Will christianity allow me to become a real wizard?
>>
>>28774205
Thread in general.

>>28774544
Only in the old testament
>>
>>28770305
It's good that it saved you from whatever you were before. But I got saved by knowing what a bias was.
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.