[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Suddenly this faggot right here replaces your sun.What do you do?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6
File: SteveHarris_total-eclipse_swh.jpg (9 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
SteveHarris_total-eclipse_swh.jpg
9 KB, 500x500
Suddenly this faggot right here replaces your sun.What do you do?
>>
File: 84948361LV.png (51 KB, 1032x284) Image search: [Google]
84948361LV.png
51 KB, 1032x284
Thank it because I hate Summer.
>>
>>28760603
What the fuck is a sun?
>>
Forever?
Probably go on some schizo rampage and dream up false ideas for why it exists

>it's demons man, it's the end times
>>
>>28760603
Link the flame
>>
>>28760671
No,not forever,just for a little bit so it can drive everyone insane and usher in the apocalypse.
>>
>>28760693
Another false promise
We know the apocalypse we all hope for won't happen
The trash world will continue to accumulate trash, and when it dies it won't be in a blaze of glory, but because it has been buried under its own filth.

Discarded soda bottles, abandoned vehicles, decaying buildings and all other human refuse will be all that remains, and it will remain for a long time to serve as a reminder of what we have done to ourselves.
>>
>>28760715
I was referencing the fact that this is Komus,The Tyrant Star and it literally does this with its' presence.
>>
>>28760603
Wait for my girl Luna to move her fat ass out of the way.
>>
>>28760734
Oh yeah that went over my head
I was just trying to sound dire and prophetic
d-did I do a good job?

also nice timequads
>>
>>28760734
And here I thought this was exciting OC about black hole Earth survival. I was gonna write a whole thing about heavily insulated greenhouses and geothermal generators. Really not much would change immediately, but on the long term food would become a major problem.

I still kinda want to, so I'm gonna post this and pretend I didn't see that this is some warhammer shit, K?
>>
>>28760766
You did a moderate job.
>>
>>28760776
But the question was,what would you do,if your sun was suddenly possessed by Komus.
>>
Well, immediately there would be panic. It all comes down to power, really. The key to surviving long term is making sure you're set up for growing food, and you have sufficient heat, because the global temperature is gonna plummet to easily arctic levels, probably even lower. Heat is gonna be a major concern, as well as sun-analogue light for growing food. This means lots of electricity. The power grid is almost entirely coal or oil based, so the sun being gone wouldn't be all that detrimental, but the draw is gonna AT LEAST double in the long term, if not triple, or get even worse. Eventually I'm sure geothermal would get big, but for now the power grid NEEDS to stay operational.

At this point I'm going to assume that we're talking on an individual level, and not talking about what to do as a collective of humans.

Personally, I would prioritize heat generation and retention over pretty much everything else. I live in a fairly wooded area, so finding firewood won't be too hard. I've felled trees on my own before, and while it won't be fun, it's possible.

The real trouble is retention. As far as food goes, non-perishables, and even perishables, should be fine getting frozen. A reheated frozen steak might not be good, but it's edible. Over time, you WILL need food production. Depending on how many people you're with, and I'd recommend no more than one, MAYBE two, companions, will decide how much food production you need. Really, you need to begin with your mainstay. Whether that's beans or wheat or corn or potatoes or whatever, you need something to grow for food, it doesn't matter what.One more thing to consider before going too far is that you'll need either replacement soil OR somehow get nutrient supplements into the soil you've got. While your first few yields might be fine, if the soil's dead, your crops will die soon too.

cont.
>>
>>28761154
This next part is gonna depend on whether you have access to the power grid. If you do, what you'll need to prioritize is HEAT, both generation and retention, but mostly retention. Ideally, you'd have at least one large, subterranean vacuum-sealed chamber for minimal heat loss, and preferably more than one. Any old shlum isn't gonna have access to something like this, so you'll need to get creative. If it's been a few weeks, your neighbors should be dead by this point. If they aren't, either ally yourself with them, or kill them. All of them, because you're gonna need a lot of land to get enough crops to survive. You'll be converting as much indoor land to farmland as you possibly can. Because of this, you'll want a crop that doesn't root too deep. That means attic, basement, and everything in between. You'll also need to insulate all of this land as much as possible. For this reason, prioritize large spaces over smaller ones. You'll need more material per room, but less overall.

For insulating material, pretty much anything you'd think of as, 'warm' goes. What you want to avoid is conductors. This means metal is out. Plastic and paper can work, but you'd be better off using things like pillows and blankets. Avoid mattresses unless you can find something like a tempurpedic, because conventional mattresses are mostly just springs and air. The more material you use per room, the less energy you'll have to put into keeping it warm. The flipside, however, is that you'll have a lot less land to work with. It's basically a trade off of insulation versus fuel. Whichever is more abundant for you is the side you should err on, but always think of the future. If your heat is from the powergrid, assume that every day is the last day that'll be on.
>>
>>28760805
Good enough I guess
I will continue working on my doomsday prophet skills
>>
File: tmp_28466-images(42)545697540.jpg (31 KB, 620x338) Image search: [Google]
tmp_28466-images(42)545697540.jpg
31 KB, 620x338
Arx Fatalis was a pretty cool game. Though in AF the sun slowly disapeared or some shit.
>>
File: smug tomboy.png (112 KB, 221x380) Image search: [Google]
smug tomboy.png
112 KB, 221x380
>>28760675

>linking the flame
>not usurping the fire
>>
I link the fire and the praise that muffakin sunn :DDDDD
>>
>>28761209
whoops, this is cont.

Now, plants also need light in addition to heat in order to grow. If the powergrid is still going and heat isn't an issue, you have a few options. Obviously electric lights are the way to go if you've got that option. You need bright lights, and a lot of them. I'm not an expert on this stuff and I don't really wanna do the math right now, so we'll just call it an assload and leave it at that. If the powergrid's out and you can't get electricity for whatever reason, you're double fucked. What you want is something that'll burn really bright. Experiment with what you've got around you, but powdered metal can make a big flash. Maybe you could use metal rods at white hot temperatures with some magnification, but at this point either try to find someone better equipped than you and leech, or kys. You're fucked.

If the powergrid is down from the start, your method for survival is gonna be really different. Really, it won't be all that different from something like a zombie apocolypse, but no zombies. Just the fucking cold.

As soon as the power grid goes down, all hell is gonna break loose. Priority one is not being the first to die. Get warm clothes and hide. Get some weapons if you don't already have some, but just stay out of sight. Try to ration your food so you can survive for at least a week before you need to go scavenging, and preferably a lot longer than that. At least a month if you can make it that long. You wanna ride this storm out and wait for everyone else to die. There are gonna be those that think that if you do that, it'll be only the strongest who survive and you'll be the last pickings. That's wrong, it's the smart you need to worry about.

cont.
>>
File: smug wan (2).jpg (31 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
smug wan (2).jpg
31 KB, 400x400
>>28761412

>redditors in charge of being "le sunbros" and linking the fire
>>
>>28760603
Put on my vampire hunting gear.
>>
Pull my bolter out.
>>
>>28761424
fuck off the one time I to meme in response to a meme shitpost
Some guy called me reddit
>>
File: super smug wan.jpg (64 KB, 431x592) Image search: [Google]
super smug wan.jpg
64 KB, 431x592
>>28761488

Haven't you got a fire to link or something reddit?
>>
>>28761413
Once most people are dead, you need to start thinking food. That means stockpiling what you can, and eating what you can't. Unless you're on the brink of starvation, do NOT eat any non-perishables within the first three months of post-sun Earth. If it's canned or sealed, it goes in the stockpile. You need to be eating things that will go bad very soon. While the fact that literally everything is frozen will extend the lifespan of a lot of food, it won't make it last forever. And if you're thinking, 'LOL, I'll just hunt for food cuz im a badass,' you need to think again, because there will be nothing to hunt. We're talking everything being frozen, including all wildlife everywhere on the planet.

Living off the land when there is nothing and all you can do is pick at the scraps of civilization is gonna be really hard, and if it comes to it, you should probably just off yourself. Unless you've got something going for you to warrant a spot in the space program or something, you have no chance of ever being any more than a scavenger again. Suicide is pretty much it.

I'm getting pretty tired, so I'm gonna leave it there. Goodnight, anon.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.