[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Military Robots
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 8
File: 71fqz+kCIuL._SX425_.jpg (41 KB, 425x319) Image search: [Google]
71fqz+kCIuL._SX425_.jpg
41 KB, 425x319
Any military robots want to share their experiences in the armed forces? I'm thinking about joining the air force myself? Anything I should know or prepare for before going in?
>>
Anyone got any tips?
>>
File: mikan.jpg (56 KB, 343x371) Image search: [Google]
mikan.jpg
56 KB, 343x371
>>28751434
>>28751576
I'm in the Army so it might be a little different than the Air Force but some things are still similar.

-fix your sleeping schedule now, before I joined I had the normal 4chan neet sleep cycle of wake up at 3pm and go to sleep at 7am
-get used to shaving if you haven't yet because you have to do it daily
-learn how to wash clothes
-workout a little if you're really out of shape before joining
-get ready to be surrounded by people fresh out of high school who still act like it too, if you're 20+ it's pretty annoying and you see how much of a difference age makes
>>
I'm interested in this thread.

Poor af, and want to get a decent education in something, and might as well serve my country.

I have legit no talents tho, other then being able to work out, and follow almost any orders.

Any suggestions?
>>
>>28751576
yeah

get a job, welfare leech
>>
>>28752092
I've heard that the Air Force is the best branch due to it's funding, highest standard of living compared to other military branches and most relaxed standards relative to other branches.
>>
Make sure you can pass the PT standards before you enlist, the higher the better. It'll be one less thing to stress you out when you're in bct.
>>
>>28751957
>neet sleep cycle of wake up at 3pm and go to sleep at 7am
Are you me? Thanks for the info senpai.
>>
>>28752242
It's the best branch but right now it's hard to get in because everyone who wants an easy ride picks it and the military is downsizing the Air Force the hardest right now, when I tried to join last year the wait just to go to do a physical at MEPS was like 7 months.
>>
>>28752242
I don't think I could. I have shitty eyes, and am too tall to fit in a jet

(Idk which model, I just remember taking a field trip to a nearby airbase, and at 14 couldn't fit in a decommissioned jet they let us in)
>>
>>28752362
Very few people in the air force actually fly planes and you can always get contacts or glasses.
>>
>>28752362
Barely anyone in the Air Force actually gets to fly planes, it's super competitive to get a spot for that.
>>
>>28752295
Seriously, a seven month wait just to do a physical at MEPS damn.
>>
>>28752460
Yeah I've heard other stories of people waiting for their MEPS date for months then the recruiter drops the guy at random because they're so overstrengthed so I just joined the Army since the process was fast as fuck.

I went to the recruiter in January, went to MEPS in February, and shipped to basic in March.
>>
>>28752525
>drops the guy at random because they're so overstrengthed
What do you mean? Like they weighed too much?
>>
>>28752563
No, like the Air Force has way too many people in their branch for what they do so recruits trying to join aren't prioritized because they're trying to kick people out instead of have people join
>>
Thinking about joining the army airborne. Always thought jumping out of an aircraft into combat would be pretty cool.
>>
>>28752721
Combat jumps pretty much never happen anymore because they're outdated, there's a large chance that the only times that you will actually jump are the 5 times you have to go in airborne school
>>
>>28752788
Interesting. Outdated how?
>>
>>28752362
The Air Force isn't just piloting jets and planes. The majority of AFSCs (jobs), like any other branch, are maintenance, desk work or logistics (and services I guess). Very few actually deal with bootwork and combat (aside from deployments).

If anything, go Air Force. While I'm not sure how the other branches live day-to-day exactly, I can easily say that this branch's off-duty time most resembles civilian life. It's a more technical branch, where intelligence is more valued than muscles and brawn I guess.

In any case, I wish you luck.
>>
i am fat do they have fat camp?
>>
>>28752563
"Trying to do more with less hands" essentially. Being the comfiest branch had to catch up eventually.
>>
If you're in the military you are literally Chad.
>>
>>28752812
Here's the list of combat jumps from the US

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parachutist_Badge_(United_States)#Combat_Jump_Device

The Army replaced it with Air Assault (repelling down a helicopter into combat) a while ago because it gets people on the ground faster and is safer
>>
>>28752381
How would one go about becoming a pilot?
>>
File: welfarequeen.jpg (57 KB, 450x569) Image search: [Google]
welfarequeen.jpg
57 KB, 450x569
Fuck off hicks and white trash
>>
>>28752858
Memeing aside, if you're fat you're likely to just be turned away at MEPS, that is if your recruiter isn't desperate enough to turn you away on the spot.

Usually you can work out with your recruiter if you're close, but if you're straight fatso then you will need to shape-up before joining.
>>
I want to join the RAF and just get an IT desk job.
>>
>>28752897
I'm not a pilot so I don't know.
>>
Almost 25 year old robot here and only have a GED. Will the Navy even take me? I'm not joining the Army and I already know the Air Force is super picky with people.
>>
Best robot jobs in the Air Force?
>>
>>28752873
From the fact that I'm here Air Force, granted and from seeing some of the people I work with I can safely deny this.
>>
>>28752964
I don't think so, I'm pretty sure they made it so if you hada GED now you have to also have like 15 hours of college credits
>>
>>28752964
You can always try to get into the air force and yes you can get into the navy with a GED but they have higher ASVAB score standards for people with a GED compared to those that have a high school diploma.
>>
>>28752873
I'm in the military and I have no friends.
C-checkmate
>>
>>28752940
i am 6'2 and 260lbs is it gg
>>
File: reallynigga.png (956 KB, 950x1050) Image search: [Google]
reallynigga.png
956 KB, 950x1050
>>28752933
>he actually believes that no military wouldn't lead to almost-immediate nuclear war
>what is deterrence
>>
>>28752873
I doubt that considering my small circle of friends all play MtG and we watch meme anime like Macross
>>
>>28753012
Why is the military so fucking strict with people with a GED? All my past employers didn't care that I had a GED but the military does?
>>
>>28753051
They're trying to cut down on people eligible to join because of downsizing
>>
>>28753028
I'm not sure about the exact height/weight measurementsyou can just google it, but as long as you can pass a branches respective PT test (pushups, situps, 1.5 mile and waist circumference) and you aren't hopelessly fucking retarded then you have a good chance of getting in if you don't have any other major disqualifying conditions (never did drugs, no mental issues, no outstanding police record etc.)
>>
Can an immigrant go about becoming a marine?? I'm white and from Canada if that improves the odds
>>
>>28753077
That's shitty but I guess that's what I get for dropping out in the first place. I know the Army is super easy to join but I'd honestly rather kill myself than join that branch. Thanks for the answer.
>>
Right now I believe the AF is downsizing considering nobody wants to go to the Army or Marines or Navy.

The army is has alot of good incentives but its going to suck. They let you choose your job which is nice, the AF doesn't. The reserves is very good and you should check it out if you don't wanna go the full fledged route.

Basically if you don't have anything nice to bring to the table and your ASVAB scores are ass, then try looking into the Navy.
I would love to swing a AF or Navy INTEL or Comp Security MOS.
>>
I work in SIGINT in one of the 5eyes countries.

If you can get into signals, seriously do it. It's incredibly interesting, and you won't be a throwaway troop on the front lines.
>>
>Tfw going into the Navy someday
>Worried as fuck
>They gave me a submarine job
Someone tell me this poor cuck everything's gonna be okay
>>
>>28753148
Eh the Army isn't really that bad, I thought it was going to be worse but the only part that sucked was the first 2 months of basic. Everything after has been smooth coasting.

>>28753146
Yeah you can do that easily, one of my Drill Sergeants was a Canadian before joining
>>
If you can make it in the Military you DO NOT belong on this board.
>>
>>28753146
What are your motivations behind wanting to be a Marine, exactly? There is a lot of nationalistic espirit de corps behind the branch and unless you want to be an American citizen (joining the military is an extremely good way to get citizenship), I don't really have much in the ways of explaining why you'd want to join.
>>
>>28753249
Enjoy fapping out of sub windows to giant squids ass raping whales fuc boi
>>
>>28753280
>wake up
>work out
>go eat
>someone tells you to do a basic task that a 10 year old can do
>do it
>go eat
>do another basic task that you're told
>go eat
>get time off and do whatever

The military is literally the easiest job you get paid to barely do anything
>>
>>28753171
>They let you choose your job which is nice, the AF doesn't

My recruiter literally gave me the list of all the jobs I qualified for and let me pick 8 that I was cool with. Unless you mean, like, a 100% guarantee getting the job you picked, idk what ur on about famalam
>>
>>28753348
Yeah the Army 100% lets you pick, it says your job on your enlistment contract before you join.
>>
>>28753249
My buddy is a nuclear engineer who works on a sub in the bottom of the ocean more than half the year.
If you hate people/being around people and like getting decent money it seems to work out well.
>>
>>28753301
Probably not the best reason, but I just love how they're portrayed, that and Canada lacks any badass military that isn't jtf2 which is practically impossible for me because I'm too slim.

I've considered Combat Engineers before, and PPCLI sounded like a good choice as well. I'd join reserves first but I don't know if my employer would be willing to give me the weeks off at a time I'd need to leave for training
>>
>>28753453
Fuck I phrased that first paragraph poorly.

TL;DR
I think im just romanticizing being a marine.

They have a decorated history which I love
>>
>>28753498
I did the same thing before I left highschool to join the military. Don't let the sparkles and glitter fool you. Depending on who you are as a person, Marines may just be 4-6 years of hell for you if you went in it thinking it would turn out to be like all the TV commercials, posters and YouTube videos. If you were to go in to continue a family tradition of service, to get immigrated, or any other concrete reason, then I say go for it dude. But don't go in thinking you're going to be badassing it up 24/7, because the percent of actual combat-related MOS's is pretty small actually.
>>
>>28752092
>I have legit no talents tho, other then being able to work out, and follow almost any orders.
You're literally the perfect soldier bro.
>>
>>28753249
>Being in a sub for months

Enjoy hating your life
>>
>>28751434
>been watching Generation Kill lately
>see all these young guys my age in great shape, out there shooting and communicating in some weird army code
>realize I'm a piece of shit dropout
>really want to join the armed forces to get my shit together and do something
>live in Canada so the army here is literally useless
>could join French foreign legion, but I'm not learning French
Any way I could get into the US Marines or something ?
I'd start at the absolute bottom or even below that just for the chance
>>
>>28753051

As I understand it (and I might not have this right):

For a while in the 70s / early 80s, courts were using the military was a dumping ground for juvenile delinquents ("yew have two choices, young man. I kin send ya up to the reformatory until yer 21 for rapin' and killin' yer meemaw and yer sista, or yew kin join the US military and let them straighten yew out...").

Some of these turds would get a GED, then fuck up badly enough in their first year they'd get a Dishonorable (to be fair, a lot of kids turned their lives around). Expecting a higher ASVAB score became a consequence, showed motivation.

Ya gotta realize, the military is highly trained profession. The ordinary guy in the field might not see everything behind him, but there's a long chain of logistics, strategy and planning, testing and evaluation, and more to support him. They haven't needed brainless cannon fodder since the days of castles and moats, and that's probably not giving medieval armies enough credit.
>>
>>28753453
>I've considered Combat Engineers before

Combat Engineers are the fucking coolest. Plus, you'll have practical experience out the wazoo when you're done...do that and an engineering degree post-service, and you're set to do anything.

As far as badass cred, well, even WWII Marines I've interviewed look up to combat engineers.
>>
Been in the army 1yr active duty for the love of God be a combat mos don't be support mos its just a bunch of entitled black females and like 1 Stacy getting orbited by all the Tyrone's the rest are whore Hick women from like Indiana or like Kentucky
>>
I know /k/ has threads for these, I will post there when I'm ready since they're brutal with information.

I want to know which branch would be best for some Intel job, or possibly comtracting. An EOD tech I worked with told me going through 18x enhances my chance for some job I want.

Any advice?
>>
>>28756470
Where are you stationed

>>28756949
35 series is intel
>>
>>28757028
Big shit 1
>>
>>28757056
I'm sorry I heard it's beyond garbage there, I got put in the 101 though so it's not like I got a place much better
>>
I have an accounting degree (bachelors), can I get a good position in the air force?

I want to do something different with my life than sitting at a cubicle 8+ hours a day plugging away on Excel and I've always been interested in serving my country. I just don't want to be a bullet magnet.
>>
>>28757181
>>I want to do something different with my life than sitting at a cubicle 8+ hours a day plugging away on Excel

That's literally what every job in the military is for the most part, you get a couple of moments where you get to do something pretty cool then the rest is just plugging away on a computer. It's probably even more plugging away in the Air Force.
>>
>>28757028
>35 series is intel
so when I go talk to a recruiter I should bring this up? What branch? And how high do my ASVABs need to be?
>>
I hope Trump grows the military so it'll be easier for me to get a pilot slot in a few years
>>
>>28752933
>That BX hotdog guy
That picture makes me smile whenever I see it
>>
>>28757277
Army, you mentioned 18x and that's Army Special forces as well

Just look at the jobs on here they're all intel

http://www.goarmy.com/careers-and-jobs/browse-career-and-job-categories/intelligence-and-combat-support.results.html?q=35&keywordTreatment=ALL&AR=both&categoryID=allJobCat&EO=both&search=

Tell a recruiter you're interested in a couple of them and as long as you're not retarded your ASVAB score should be good enough to get you any job you want. It's like an easier version of the SAT.
>>
Air force here.
Getting stationed at Eielson AFB soon enough.Where are you guys stationed?
>>
>>28757369
You can't just enlist into special forces right? Like if you wanted to become a Ranger you'd have to have been in the military previously and have combat experience, right?
>>
>>28757470
No, you can. All that you have to do is tell a recruiter that you want to sign up to be an 18x for Special Forces or for Ranger say you want to be an 11x with Option 40 (Ranger School). You still go through the training though so if you flunk out you just get washed into the normal Army doing regular stuff.

If you're interested in joining on of those then you need to get those in your enlistment contract because it's hard to get another chance at them anytime after that. Same with Airborne school you can get that in your entry contract.
>>
>>28755553
Join the combat engineers bro. First in, last out.
>>
>>28752092
Go back in time and join the SS
>>
Why y'all all talking about 18x if you don't do a 300 on a simulated pt test now you aint gonna pass period just saying , even if you are "Gainnzz" you still wouldn't pass weight and tape
>>
>>28757566
How much do Rangers/Special Forces get paid compared to regular pogs and grunts? Are there any special forces/elite branches that don't see action/are support?
>>
>>28757369
Ok, thank you. EOD guy convinced me to take expeirence from the military and transfer it to civilian jobs for high pay and special interest fields.

How long should I enlist for and what was your MOS?
>>
>>28757687
>self improvement is impossible
fuck off
>>
>>28753301
>joining the military is an extremely good way to get citizenship
but this isn't possible...
>>
>>28757692
They get paid the same compared to people in the same ranks but what makes them the most bank is that they rank up faster and they deploy more often and deployments make you a ton of money

>>28757714
I picked the pog king job 42A because I'm lazy, it's not too bad you pretty much just handle people's files and keep track of them. The only downside is that 80% of the people who are in the same job are women. The enlistment contract for that job is like 4 years I think so go for that

>>28757751
Eh he's right, if you're already not in extremely well shape before going in then you're just going to fail.
>>
What's a good routine for increasing sit-ups and push-ups? I can barely do 10 sit-ups.
>>
>>28757687
i can tell you're a nigger by the way you type. gtfo shitskin
>>
>>28757751
I agree but just saying we're not natural born chad mcthundercock automatically good at sports and everything athletic I'm just a pog so take my word as nothing
>>
>>28757862
Look up ab workouts, situps are the least important workout though since your core gets worked pretty much by doing most exercises so you don't really have to focus on it much. Just workout anything and your situps will go up
>>
>>28752812
Lol, cuz modern warfare is about shooting a target without the other enemy seeing the other target
>>
File: 1457499005906.jpg (107 KB, 780x591) Image search: [Google]
1457499005906.jpg
107 KB, 780x591
>join the Army as a tanker because no money, tired of the NEET life, and want to deploy
>didn't care about doing stupid shit because I'm actually working for once in my life
>fast-forward almost three years later to current time
>fed up with this place
>nearly all the higher ups that gave a shit about us are gone
>all the ones we got now have sticks up their asses
>they only want yes men and "by the book" standards

I don't give a fuck anymore. Fuck this unit, fuck the field, and fuck Hell Paso.
I can't wait to go back to Cali so I can get that boipussy.
>>
File: 1449026978261.png (278 KB, 500x376) Image search: [Google]
1449026978261.png
278 KB, 500x376
who /linguist/ here?? there was a military thread a few months ago where i ran into some others
Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.