[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>depression is a real mental illness >"normies"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 8
File: 1463089739212.png (9 KB, 341x357) Image search: [Google]
1463089739212.png
9 KB, 341x357
>depression is a real mental illness
>"normies" cant have it though

???
>>
Normies don't know what it's like to really experience depression. They feel it momentarily when their ice cream drops on the floor or their favorite TV show is a re-run.
>>
File: image.jpg (42 KB, 400x386) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42 KB, 400x386
>>28745318
>mental illness is real
>>
>>28745347

and you experience it when mommy says you have to make your own tendies? what the fuck is the difference?

sounds like a meme "mental illness" to me
>>
>>28745318

You're definitely misreading what we're saying here.
Normalfags can definitely suffer mental issues, however, they recieve 10x more support than we do.
Also, they're less likely to have these issues because they actually get treated like a human being by other normalfags.
>>
>>28745347
This is a comforting lie you tell yourself. I know lots of normal people who are clinically depressed and on meds for it.
>>
>>28745373
Having depression and getting "treatment" from people is the absolute worst. People pretend to understand what you're going through and just give you terrible advice and to "just get over it." Moral support from almost anyone when it comes to shit like that is terrible and I don't advise anyone to deal with it.
>>
File: 1422771143337.gif (876 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1422771143337.gif
876 KB, 500x281
>he sits in his room all day living in maximum comfort without a single care in the world
>thinks he has any reason to be depressed
>>
>>28745372
I've had it regardless of what good or bad things happen in my life for the last 10 years.

Imagine being so soul-crushed that you don't have the energy to even masturbate.
>>
>/r9k/ alienates themselves and labels everyone else differently
>"uhg why wont anyone like me"
yeah, we're all a bunch of hypocritical fucks
>>
>>28745458

im guessing you're either supported by your parents or are on some sort of welfare? would you suddenly find energy if you werent going to eat or, god forbid, the internet was going to be cut off?
>>
>>28745318
transient depression is a mental illness that fits in the social fabric
people can and will take pity and help you, if you have people in your life
the story can be told on social media

you can't be a normie and have a serious mental illness, even mdd
serious mental illness makes you worse than a leper
it makes you something they all hate
if you were ever a normie, you're not one n e more once the psychosis sets in
>>
Normies feel occasional sadness, not depression.
>>
>>28745568

oh ok so its not actually a chemical imbalance in the brain or whatever? as in its not an actual illness?
>>
File: ECKHART-TOLLE.jpg (352 KB, 2000x1000) Image search: [Google]
ECKHART-TOLLE.jpg
352 KB, 2000x1000
Actually depression is all in your head, that's true. You hold onto your diagnosis because it gives you an identity when the key to enjoying existence is letting go of that identity and your ego.
>>
>>28745615
Normies can't have mental illnesses.
>>
>>28745365
Don't tell /pol/.
>>
>>28745568
Oh yeah, sorry, I guess all the doctors of the world were wrong all along, thank you, random anon, for helping shape the future of mankind's mental health with your one post, because obviously everyone is wrong but you :^)
>>
>>28745668
Nope. You normies get to have the gay thing. You can't have crazytown too.
>>
>>28745642
Sigmend Freud over here

My buddy has an actual dopamine deficiency in his brain he has to take deplin to feel happiness but still no one understands the actual definition of clinical depression

And btw no amount of ego destroying LSD will cure depression it's not a matter of that in the slightest
>>
The definition for normie is literally someone without a mental illness.
>>
>>28745318
>somebody claims to have "depression"
>spends their time making comments about the emotions of people they don't even know, sometimes people that aren't even identified in any way beyond "not like me"
>muh low energy meme

lazy people get what they deserve but these sorts of dumb fucks definitely spoil the mood sometimes here.
>>
>>28745318
Sure they can. It just seems stupid to people like us. God forbid Stacy loses her snap streak with Chad, she spirals in to a black out of depression over some fabricated symbol of status/friendship that is usually meaningless in the grand scheme of human complexity.

But who are we to judge that? I'm sure the starving, uneducated tribes I third world countries would look at our lives as robots with the same scorn. We have so much opportunity yet we squander it because we are weak and afraid.

Ultimately there is always someone worse off who would laugh at the problems that seem big to us. It's best to respect people's feelings if you want them to do the same to you.
>>
I work it the mental health field and it really takes a toll on you. The people who actually need help don't get it, I hear the most fucked up shit and it's hard to just leave it behind and go back to normal. At the same time there people who come in, tell a sob story, then you find out they're full of shit. I'm probably getting out of in within a year or two. I can't make a career of this. I do love ECT though. The problem is the laws are against us. I 100% support self medication and think shit like heroin or methamphetamine should be freely available through mail order companies and large compounding pharmacies. The only limits on it should be a purity requirement, usp only, and it should come packaged in mylar bags or amber tubs, and only black and white labeling stating only the weight and cas number. We're all grownups here and obviously the doctors don't know anything more than a 6 year old with Wikipedia open in one tab and WebMD the other. Beyond the legal bullshit is also litigation. The patient wants to be a part of their treatment team bit take no responsibility despite signing informed consent. It should be illegal to sue hospitals or any medical staff. Alcoholics should drink alcohol, AA and abstinence is fucking stupid and never works. Look at 100 year results, they always relapse eventually. Sinclair method is much better. Same with opiate abuse. Don't say total abstinence including coffee and beer. DXM is the perfect therapy. Ketamine is another great compound that is never used outside of clinical trials and the OR.
>>
>>28746088
>100 year results
nigga you high af. hows middle school btw?
>>
>>28745521
I'm on welfare and was homeless for awhile as well as having only enough money to pay rent and not my bills so I had no electricity or internet.

Nothing changed. I just stopped eating until I absolutely had to eat something like dry rice to stay alive. Without the internet I just stare at the wall and sleep 22hrs a day.
>>
File: fJ5QDRx.png (287 KB, 370x429) Image search: [Google]
fJ5QDRx.png
287 KB, 370x429
>>28746150

>gets to coast through life literally for free
>thinks he has any reason to be depressed
>>
>>28746111
Most of his post is retarded but ketamine, MDMA, and to a lesser extent DXM actually are really great therapeutic tools. Ketamine especially is good at treating shit that nothing else can.
>>
>>28746180
nobody has a reason. life is beautiful. people just get bored and think being negative is a way to entertain yourself or communicate something profound.
>>
>>28746180
>You need a reason to be depressed
That's called transient depression and it's what OP is talking about when he says "normalfag depression."

Actual depression, be it PDD/dysthymia, MDD, BPD, etc all cause depression without needing a "reason."
>>
>>28746207
Yeah I don't know why that anon mentioned DXM when ket and MXE is 1000x better
>>
>Normalfag makes a Youtube video saying he has "anxiety issues"
>>
>>28746207
okay that's nice i don't really mind that people like to get high to "treat" something 2deep4me. i like to play sports myself. the attitude kids have about drugs though is so fucking pathetic though lmao.
>>
>>28746261
ANYONE who makes a video about having anxiety issues is a faggot
>>
>>28746111

I'm not familiar with your use of high. Where I work it refers to being on drugs.

Do you think alcoholics live so much longer than 100 years that's an unfair figure? Even only 20 years most relapse, hell, even 5 years more than 50% relapse.

I don't work with pediatrics though, thank fuck. As bad as my cuckoo birds are the stories I've heard from the crazy children workers sounds like pure hell.
>>
>>28746261
>mfw somebody pretends that anxiety is uncommon in any way or that it needs to be explained
>>
>>28745318
if you have depression you cannot be normal,
it 100% excludes each other.
>>
>>28746317
and if you don't have depression then you are 100% normal.
>>
>>28746249

Ketamine is good but not as good as dxm for opiates. I'd use ketamine more for depression and some other addictions.

>>28746262

Do you get high on aspirin? Do you toss the ole pigskin around to cure cancer? Drugs are always the most effective treatment except for the few rare occasions where drugs and another treatment is needed, like surgery or CBT. You have an incredibly naive view on the wellness continuum. You can wait out an acute psychosis but something like depression or schizophrenia is almost untouchable, even with the strongest drugs you throw at it.
>>
>>28746285
The problem I have with you espousal of self medication with "dangerous" drugs is that it implies relying on self diagnosis as well. Self diagnosis is bad for numerous reasons.

I would support self-medication if the costs were paid out of pocket and you had an actual professional diagnosis you with something but found his treatment for it inadequate.
>>
>>28746374
>muh drugs good always!
1. i'm talking about the recreational use of drugs disguised as "treatment" for some arbitrary emotional issue, regardless of the label you put on it.

2. i'm also amused by the fact that every young sheltered kid who tries drugs thinks it's the greatest shit ever and they need to always talk about it.

3. drugs work to an extent but take some courses in pharmacokinetics it's really not something we have a grasp on at any level and if you actually have a disease then most likely you need something highly specific, possibly engineered just for you to create an effective "treatment." telling somebody to just try ketamine or DXM for whatever is straight up shaking madman in an alley shit. getting high is fun and so are many other things, no need for mental gymnastics to make this shit any more than it is. you'll burn a hole in your pocket.
>>
>>28746379

Well sure, no need to go in blind, but you have to see the bullshit these guys write about patients, even the psychiatrists. Everyone has access to the DSM. If you just get bummed out sometimes and think it's some off the wall dx then you'll pretty quickly realize Haldol isn't the right drug for you. Anyone dedicated enough to learn how to use a drug based on weight and cas is dedicated enough to spend more than 5 minutes of skimming articles and taking an online quiz. If not then so what? They chose to do it. I'd rather see 100 people fuck themselves up if only one person helps themselves it is worth it. Instead we have no options unless we're willing to break the law or work within an extremely inefficient and convoluted system intentionally designed to avoid the best treatments.
>>
>>28745372
>le memes are arguments XD #FuckMyFace
>>
>>28746592

I never said drugs are always good. If nothing is wrong then chemo probably won't make you any better. I don't get your point under 1, if drugs don't work don't use those drugs. Recreational and therapeutic use are entirely different. There shouldnt be any confusion between the two. I don't understand point 2 either. A person sheltered or not has nothing to do with it or how drugs work. As for 3, I have taken courses on pharmacology shit. You intentionally misrepresent my post. I never said just try dxm for any old disease. I mentioned it's very specific application in opiate abuse. We're not yet at the point where me go in with viruses, nanobots, or xna to treat disease. The drugs we have work better than crossing our fingers though. Most doctors go in with trial and error. Most people if they actually care will get to know themselves much better than any doctor. We have libraries with all the books we need. Sweet talk a student and you can get specific journal articles. Self medication works no matter how much it triggers you. It's no different than getting it from a Dr. The drug is what works, not the prescriber.
>>
>>28746592
Ketamine has been proven more effective at treating certain illnesses more often than just about anything else designed to treat said illnesses.

Especially depression that doesn't respond well to other medications and shit with NO TREATMENT like visual snow and derealization/depersonalization disorder.

There's nothing wrong with telling someone to try it.
>>
File: images (7)-1.jpg (20 KB, 121x134) Image search: [Google]
images (7)-1.jpg
20 KB, 121x134
>>28745394
>I know lots of normal people who are clinically depressed and on meds for it.
That means absolutely fucking nothing. Doctors are extremely eager to diagnose any normie who comes in through the door with depression and something like 70% of people on SSRIs don't actually need them because they're not at all mentally-ill.

Some Stacy cunt breaks up with her latest boyfriend and feels a little blue. She gets diagnosed with depression and put on Prozac. Her family and friends give her tons of attention, love, and support, and she magically feels "better" two months down the line. She then goes on to claim she's a "depression survivor" and that she knows what people like us are going through. This is the average case of a person who has "beaten" depression--someone who never even fucking had it in the first place.

I hate this meme so much. It trivializes people with actual problems by telling them, "Brah, Chad and Stacy, like, totally feel the same way! You're not alone!" when in fact most people don't have nearly the same degree of crippling mental issues. Even something like anxiety disorders--my psychiatrist once told me I'm not as alone as I think because it's so common. Motherfucker, do you know how meaningless that term has become? Anxiety disorders encompass relatively trivial shit like test anxiety, fear of heights, and so on. Don't tell me the majority of the population is like me in that they're scared to go outside and can't make a phone call, because that's simply not true.

If you're a normie then you are ipso facto not mentally-ill. If your mental illness isn't bad enough to interfere with your life and prevent you from being a normie, then you're not really that mentally-ill.
>>
>man can be schizo
>non-schizo people can't be schizo
How is this a real illness again?
>>
>>28747204

The causes of schizophrenia aren't fully understood, but it definitely exists. It's actually pretty common too, as much as 1% of the population could have it.
>>
>>28747300
depression definitely exists
>>
>>28746832
exercise works better to treat depression than drugs.
>>
>>28745365
>normies are real
>>
>>28747487
Not this epic may may again.
>>
>>28747503
>i don't believe in science or statistics
>>
>>28745318
>implying normans have any mental illnesses besides narcissism
>>
>>28747558
>implying that narcissism is easy to deal with
normies have 1000s more problems than robots.
>>
>>28745749
Dopamine and other happiness chemical deficiencies have never been confirmed
>>
>mental illness exists
>depression is your excuse for an unhealthy lifestyle
Just cut out the dead weight. There's more than you think
>>
File: 1359160797765.jpg (35 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
1359160797765.jpg
35 KB, 500x333
Just when I think /r9k/ has said the stupidest thing ever, you keep talking.

Depression is a mental illness that doesn't have to have "reasons" for manifesting itself. It's a chemical imbalance, in some cases. You can be depressed if you're a normalfag, Stacy, Chad, or rich.

Half of the people on this board who are "depressed' because of no gf or their ex broke up with them aren't actually depressed, you're just sad/lonely. If you were genuinely depressed, nothing would make you happy in the long term. Fuck off idiots.
>>
>>28747668

>What is Parkinson's

Dopamine deficiency really fucks a person up. It's so much more than just wiggling around a bit too much.
>>
>>28747798
>chemical imbalance
what did he mean by this?

>long term
it wouldn't be depression if it was long term to be honest. there are a handful of chronic cases but if your brain is that fucked up you would hardly even recognize the depression among all the other problems. there's also no such thing as "genuinely" depressed, the measure of what we call depression in any context is simply how somebody says they feel. if it's "because" they broke up with their ex or something else, it's still depression.
>>
>>28747886
>it wouldn't be depression if it was long term to be honest.
Not even going to address this. I've been depressed for the past four years, I've known people who were depressed for the majority of their lives. It's not as uncommon as you think.

>if it's "because" they broke up with their ex or something else, it's still depression.
It can be, but it's more than likely just them being sad.
>>
>>28745642
Kek, jokes on you. I self-diagnose all my mental illnesses
>>
File: asdfa.jpg (28 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
asdfa.jpg
28 KB, 350x350
>>28745365
>minds are perfect machines that can never ever break down or go wrong in any way
>>
>>28747943
>depressed
>years
that's just your life ;)

>just being sad
nah. but being sad can be part of depression.
>>
>>28746180
>>28746180
You're a fucking retard. I had to 'coast through life' and live off my parents for most of my twenties and now I've been in a job for a year. My life is no worse or better now. I used to be frustrated second class citizen. Now I'm a sexually frustrated second class citizen with a job.
>>
>>28747582
No they haven't. They have bills to pay and a job to keep up. Some of them might have to deal with the consequences of jizzing inside a girl but that was their choice. None of the normies I knew had any real problems.

I know what normie 'problems' are . Iwork 9-5 and I care for 2 very elderly parents, but these are just the practical obstacles of life, and are nothing compared to the soul-destroying experience of robothood.
>>
>>28745318
>normies deserving sympathy
you make me kek OP, you really do
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.