[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is new Orleans like?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: Bourbon-street.jpg (133 KB, 830x400) Image search: [Google]
Bourbon-street.jpg
133 KB, 830x400
What is new Orleans like?
>>
>>28744975
Smelly, very smelly
A great place to visit for a weekend, but I'd never want to live there
For the love of God don't go to bourbon street wearing sandals or flipflops
>>
>>28744975
NOLA person here
>bourbon is over rated just drink at home
>french quarter has alot of scams
>ghetto is everywhere
>okay if you live in the garden district
>expensive as fuck to live in
>best food fucking ever
>crazy people who will smile at you then try to stab and rape you at 2am on the street
>>
I live there, it's filthy and loud
>>
What's the cost of living like in New Orleans? Could I work retail and afford to live in a one bedroom apartment? Or would I have to live in a seedy part of town? (Assuming the whole town isn't seedy.)
>>
>>28745401
>Or would I have to live in a seedy part of town?

It's New Orleans, The seedy part is the part people come to visit. You wanna live in some cornbread wholesome-family-values shitheap stay in the midwest
>>
It is very good. I like
>>
>>28745388
Pretty much everything this guy said.

Honestly it's not worth it, stay way.
>>
>>28744975
loud and vomit everywhere
also voodooshops so. many, voodooshops
>>
>>28745912
sounds cool, what can I buy there?
>>
>>28745651
I mean, I don't mind living in some decayed trash heap, I just don't want to be fearing for my life when I leave for work in the morning.
>>
Do you guys all have those cool southern accents?

Can we hear it?
>>
I just graduated from Tulane University in New Orleans. I'm not a local, but I've made a few key observations over the years.

First and foremost, there's so much more to the city than the tourist trap that is the French Quarter. You've got a lot of great neighborhoods like the garden district, uptown, mid city, the north shore, and Bayou St. John. However, there's an equal number of really really bad neighborhoods and the borders are often blurred. And to be honest, I feel like the city has gotten more dangerous over the past year. And there's more homeless people than I've ever seen before, although I started school there only in 2011. However, as long as you lock your doors and stay off the streets late at night, you should be fine.

The cost of living is pretty cheap for a city of its size. I was paying about $500 a month splitting the rent between two other roommates. If you shop around you can find some amazing deals. The one thing that bothers me is that the sales tax is pretty high, and food is somewhat more expensive than expected. But that's really it.

The infrastructure is stupidly bad. Potholes are seldom fixed, and it often takes months for the city to fill them up when they do.

Culturally, it's pretty cosmopolitan compared to the rest of the state. People here are a lot more "progressive" compared to the kind of people you expect to meet in the bible belt. I will never understand their religious obsession with football though. But they sure love to party. There are festivals every single weekend throughout the city. And I don't even need to talk about how good the food is.

All in all, New Orleans is a diverse city with a couple flaws, some good people, incredible food, and a uniquely ridiculous culture.
>>
>>28744975
I just wanna go see some tiddies in mardi gras desu.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.