[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is learning to play music the most patrician hobby?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6
File: images.jpg (8 KB, 278x182) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
8 KB, 278x182
Is learning to play music the most patrician hobby?
>>
No, reading literature is.
>>
>>28741960
Play music to do what? Every guy I know only learned to play an instrument to attract roasties.
>>
>>28741978
>not writing literature
>>
i always laughed at the people that do music for 10 years just to be able to read music and do children song on the piano
>>
>>28742014
I play because I'm good and it makes me happy

I stopped doing things to impress girls awhile ago
>>
learning to write music that is personally your own is patrician
>>
>>28742079
This.

Learning to play music to learning to write music is like learning to recite to learning to write literature.
>>
>>28742014
Yeah a hobby that is a skill. Like learning another language.
>>
>>28741960
Depends. Piano is pretty autist and snobbish. But playing acoustic guitar is pretty normie and chaddish.
>>
File: WMvL9DQ.jpg (123 KB, 659x931) Image search: [Google]
WMvL9DQ.jpg
123 KB, 659x931
>>28742014
I learned how to play intruments to please myself and keep myself busy.
Even if I did it for others (especially to attract girls) they probably would lose interest pretty quick because I'm not that interesting.

The times I do play an instrument or music in general around other people. They all seem so uninterested. Constantly staring at their phones and not paying attention to the music.

Fuck them, I'm fine playing for myself.
>>
It depends on the instrument. Some styles of guitar are quite patrician, but your average pleb just wants to play half-assed AC/DC songs. Piano and harp are fairly patrician.

The most patrician hobby, however, is writing poetry, excluding whiny teenager shit like slam poetry.
>>
>>28742547
>Writing poetry
Could this also go for singing (writing lyrics for example)?
>>
File: image.jpg (18 KB, 640x215) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
18 KB, 640x215
Is the trumpet a Chad instrument?
>>
>>28742642
No its for teenage marching band kids and the occasional jazz fan which is lsnt something many girls like. And even then black girls are more likely to like jazz.
>>
>>28742133
Learning a language and playing piano are shit tier life skills in America though. I've been trying to find something to do but I can't think of anything besides lifting, which I do, and shooting.
>>
Remember when interesting people would come here to discuss their real hobbies, like playing musical instruments, /diy/, programming or reading good /lit/? And they were all awkward but no one gave a shit. Now we have a bunch of failed normies and dumb frogposters who think watching anime is a hobby and whine about nogf all day
>>
>>28742056
>I've never applied myself to anything.
>>
Nah, music is one of the lower tiers of art.
>>
>>28743217
T. Someone with no talent
Enjoy nursing that inferiority complex
Your books are definitely much more deep than an instrument that takes lifetimes to master
>>
It depends. Music is broad, I make degenerate electronic music

But literature is the most patrician hobby, nothin comes close
>>
>>28742621
No. Think of the best lyricist ever - Neil Young or Leonard Cohen or someone like that - go and actually read their lyrics without hearing them sing it or with music to go along. It's just boring.
>>
>>28742731
>black girls like jazz
no all niggers listen to is R&B and Hip Hop
>>
>played viola when I was 10 for a year
>loved it
>want to play again
>buy viola last year
>slowly teach myself chords and such
>fingers on left hand ache very badly when I have them in certain chord positions
This made me give up. Feels bad man. I don't know if it's a bodily thing or something I would need to get used to that would change with time but since I feel the ache fairly quickly, I'm going with the former.
>>
File: Capture.png (1 MB, 1270x706) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
1 MB, 1270x706
>>28744771
We need to talk about music history anon.
>>
i actually abandoned piano lessons years ago to have more for playing games online
>>
File: 1422340787795.jpg (75 KB, 500x672) Image search: [Google]
1422340787795.jpg
75 KB, 500x672
>>28744859
>about music
>>
>>28742014
You do it because it feels fucking great.
>>
>>28742642
It's honestly the most chad instrument in high school band.
>>
>>28742642
you mean drums or sax
trumpet is the band nerd go-to instrument
>>
File: JAZZ FOR YOUR SOUL.png (238 KB, 397x521) Image search: [Google]
JAZZ FOR YOUR SOUL.png
238 KB, 397x521
>>28744859
>we wuz miles davis
>>
>>28743570
John Darnielle
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.