[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alcohol general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5
File: booze.jpg (99 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
booze.jpg
99 KB, 400x300
Why do alcoholics sometimes say they feel guilty about their habit? Is it because of what you do when you're drunk, or what someone tells you about your drinking?
>>
File: 1418004910885.png (57 KB, 600x434) Image search: [Google]
1418004910885.png
57 KB, 600x434
They feel guilty because they know they would be a lot happier if they didn't drink, but they do anyways. They know that they're ruining their health and wasting their life and will be hungover tomorrow, and they know that they could just stop drinking and enjoy life a lot more. But they don't.
>>
There's a stigma about admitting life is shit, for some reason.
>>
>>28738802
>they know they would be a lot happier if they didn't drink

False.
>>
>>28738826
It is false. I went for a week without drinking, and it was awful. I got through detox, and it still sucked. I'm back on the booze now, even though people have pressured me to stop drinking. Whatever, fuck them. I don't feel the least bit bad about it. I never had normal feelings though, so maybe I'm not accounting for something.
>>
>>28738711
I asked this dude to go spearfishing with me yesterday. He blew it off because he was too hungover to do anything besides eat all fucking day.

Then he went out drinking that night.

Alcoholics are fucking losers, dude. They've gotta know it.
>>
because it is unproductive and a way to avoid reality.
So you waste saturday drinking, then you waste sunday recovering from the hang over, then monday you are back to the reality you tried to escape with drink.

You know drinking is not going to get you out of this shit hole but you do it anyway.

that is why they feel guilty.
>>
>>28738802
Actually I enjoy life much more when I'm drunk. When I'm drunk, I'm almost like a normie. I hit on women, I talk to strangers without any fear, I'm social. If I could be drunk 24/7 that would be the life. Kind of like the life that Chad has by default.
>>
>>28738711
It's an addiction that destroys your body and mind.

You can literally die from it.

I had many alcoholics in my family, they're all doing very poorly, many worse then me and I'm a 23 year old neet addicted to 4chan and lazy sadness/smoking.
>>
>>28738802
This is bullshit. You end up an alcoholic because you can't enjoy life when sober, fuck off normie.
>>
>>28738943
That's how I feel about it. I am basically Chad on alcohol. It's like how I used to feel before I had an anxiety disorder. Better than getting addicted to benzos I say.
>>
>>28738711
when I was drinking I felt bad about being self destructive. turned out i preferred being sober to being dead, though when I say sober, I mean from alcohol. i entertain myself with weed only these days
>>
>>28739013
Yeah only a retard would say that alcoholics would be happier if they stopped drinking.
>>
File: aBQgdnx_700b.jpg (78 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
aBQgdnx_700b.jpg
78 KB, 700x700
I got my first girlfriend from being a complete alcoholic party wreck. I got my first recognitions from other people by being a social alcoholic butterfly. Nothing else can help me, not even benzos
>>
>>28739057
Can you not get away with any alcohol? I'm seeing if I can drink just a little. So far I haven't had much success at taking it easy though. You should have seen the liquor store clerk's face when I bought just a small bottle of Crown and a six-pack of Mike's Hard Lemonade on a Saturday:
>"This gonna get you through the weekend bro? You know they make even smaller bottles blah blah"
Whatever, dude. Less alcohol content. I'm trying to cut down on my drinking here.
>>
File: 1463171018717.png (297 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1463171018717.png
297 KB, 500x500
>it's another "drug addicts get triggered" episode
>>
>>28739166
Nah, I really do want to understand generally if alcoholics get feelings of guilt because they think they've let themselves down, because they acted like fools while drunk, or because people in their life are pressuring them to quit.
>>
>>28739146
>Can you not get away with any alcohol?
probably I can now, been 9 months. I don't want to start again but that's 100% health related. I still miss drinking and being happy drunk. fortunately the cravings don't last long
>>
>>28739166
Not really triggered but yeah I am reminded that I used to have such urges.

>>28739354
That's good. One drink and it's off to the races again. t. 3 years in july
>>
>>28739191
Of course they do! It's very hard, I'm going through all of these emotions right now. I was drinking extremely heavily for a long time. I was sober for 2 months and some change and then relapsed. It's embarrassing, and people judge you for it. Then you have friends who want to drink, but you know you shouldn't / can't, and you remember all the shit drinking has caused for you... It's very hard. You end up hiding bottles, cans, etc...

Being an alcoholic is awful. I'm still trying to get better, though. I'll continue to try not to drink like I was.
>>
>>28739576
It was hard for me, I never quit on my own without legal intervention after I would go into a rage and destroy something.
People are judgemental, that's human nature.
>mfw I had to go to AA for awhile.
I'm off parole now but I 'keep coming back' because it's working good so far and I can't afford another slip.
>>
>>28738711
Only dumb faggots feel guilty about drinking. Sometimes there are unfortunate consequences of drinking in terms of behaviour, sometimes there are unwanted side-effects. But if you can't deal with the consequences of your decisions without this guilt nonsense you're a fucking faggot.

They're just as bad as those dieting normie faggots.
>"Oh I just ate a chocolate bar, I feel so guilty."
>"This is a guilt-free day"
Oh fuck off with that stupid shit.
>>
>>28739785
True, I only felt guilty for the things I did while drinking.
God forbid I drink in my house and still catch a criminal case from it.
As much as it all sucked I realized: 1. I cannot guarantee what will happen when I drink and 2. I cannot ever put myself in that situation again.
>>
>>28739859
No need for guilt friendo. What happened, happened. All you can do is deal with any consequences as they come, as best you can. Maybe the loneliness has turned me into a psychopath, but guilt is a worthless, unproductive, emotion that will never help you.
>>
>>28739785
Shut the fuck you manchild. An addiction can bring about tons of unwanted consequences. Just because you have justified your shitty behavior doesn't somehow make it better.
>>
>Is it because of what you do when you're drunk, or what someone tells you about your drinking?
Both for me. I've done bad things that nobody else knows about that fill me with disgust and shame, and I've had people tell me outright that they don't like me because I'm an alcoholic. One girl who i'd never spoken to before told me i was a cunt when i tried to talk to her while sober. I said we've never spoken before but she said she had seen me being obnoxious when i've been drunk and she'd heard from others that i'm not a nice person. The irony is, it's exactly hurtful comments like this that then lead me to drink because i want to escape caring what other people think of me.

I've been sober now for 12 weeks. The only way i've managed this though is to avoid all social interaction. Even around friends i thought i was comfortable around, it turns out i can't even speak to sober. Today for example i've been ignoring my phone because a friend has been trying to contact me and i can't bring myself to interact with a close friend because i am sober and i hate myself when i'm sober. I have crippling anxiety and this is the root of it all. I self medicate with alcohol.

12 weeks in and i still feel like shit. I thought after an initial period i would detox and get used to it, stop feeling depressed, but no. I am depressed. It's not hangovers or chemical imbalances that make me depressed - it's just me. So I've decided i'm going to start drinking again now. I can't lock myself away from my friends or i'll lose them. I can't cure my depression by not drinking (if it hasn't happened after 12 weeks its not going to happen). This friday I'm going to get smashed. I'm going to be an obnoxious cunt, offend people, make myself feel disgusted with myself and I'm not going to give a single shit. Because I'll be drunk as fuck
>>
>>28739987
Exactly, I could go over my actions and feel remorseful a thousand times but it still won't get me anywhere at all.
All I can do is learn from it and take steps to ensure it doesn't happen again.
>>
>>28740050
Fuck you, you sanctimonious piece of garbage. Trash like you has no place talking down to me.
>>
>>28740062
>The only way i've managed this though is to avoid all social interaction.
Yup. I can go for a long time without drinking by myself, just doing my own thing, but then as soon as certain people come back into the picture, it's on to the booze again. That's the irony of it though. By pressuring an alcoholic not to drink, they're likely to hit the bottle that much harder. Maybe it's time for AA, so I can get some supportive help instead.
>>
>>28738802
>>28738927
>>28738936
>Alcoholic
>Hangover
What the hell are you going on about? If you're still getting hangovers you just double down. I fell on my ass, got double vision, and broke a few glasses last night and this morning I feel fine. Alcoholics don't get hangovers.
>>
>>28740171
that could help.
I thought the People Places and Things meme was all bullshit but after relapsing dozens and dozens of times I had to admit it was true, at least for me.
AA is wonderful because it's not preachy. People say what works for them.
There's some scary talk about not being able to stay away from drinking without going to AA, but that comes from people who have previously had years of sobriety then started drinking again. Some of the old timers have been in and out of the rooms for 20 years and still struggle.

But if AA cured people of their drinking completely then who would actually still show up to help new people?
>>
>>28740062
i'd suggest holding on, alcohol will likely make your anxiety worse. took a good 6 months off for me to notice the difference though.
>>
>>28740245
So how were you different after 6 months sober? Did you have the same experience of social anxiety as me? I just want to be a normal functioning human who people aren't repulsed by. When i drink i repulse many people, but also, somehow, manage to charm a few. When i'm sober i am literally nothing. I have no personality, no balls, no nothing. This is my dilemma
>>
>>28740354
It can take months or years for the brain to recover from alcoholism, it shrinks the brain and does some other nasty stuff. All you can do is hang on.
I have the same dilemma, it sucks but being in jail sucks even more. Niggers everywhere.
>>
Whats the highest alco content beer east coast stores sell?
>>
File: PE_Tempranillo_sm.jpg (74 KB, 231x720) Image search: [Google]
PE_Tempranillo_sm.jpg
74 KB, 231x720
Is anyone else interested in becoming a vinticulturalist/sommolier?

Whenever the "If you won a billion dollars" question comes up, I'd probably start a winery in Southern Oregon and just surround myself with that culture for a few years.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.