[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sleep Paralysis
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: 1460384785992.jpg (54 KB, 896x349) Image search: [Google]
1460384785992.jpg
54 KB, 896x349
How the fuck do you deal with this? I wake up feeling like I'm fucking dying half the time. Please tell me I can stop this, or at least control it.
>>
>>28730952
I drink a lot of coffee and alcohol, so I deal with this a lot.
Its really not that big of a deal. At first you get scared and your fears will manifest in auditory or visual hallucinations (you're actually just still dreaming).
You just have to accept that theres nothing you can do and let sleep take you.

I sometimes see shadows walking around me and loud screams in my ear. Its kind of funny when you realize its just your paranoia getting to you.
>>
http://www.m.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/guide/sleep-paralysis
>>
>>28730952
I get it when ever I sleep on my back, and never when I sleep on my stomach.
It's not that bad. I enjoy it time to time, and if I get spooked, my heart rate increases, and I wake up because of it.
>>
>>28731064
>treatment
>sleep better or take antidepressants
thanks webmd... at least it doesn't cause cancer
>>
>>28731063
When you say let sleep take you, do you get it before sleeping? Because this happens when I'm waking up.

>>28731121
I've noticed this pattern for myself actually. I never used to have it happen until recently though. Sleeping on my back with my arm over my eyes is comfy as hell but if I'm going to have the sensation of suffocation or drowning for 30 seconds and eerie ass hallucinations whenever I wake up then I'll pass.
>>
>>28731121
came here to say this. sleep on your side or stomach, OP
>>
I've gotten this shit since I was a kid. It scares me way less now that I know the very little science about it. You need to learn to calm yourself down and take advantage of the situation. If you can't figure out a way to wake your body up then convert to a pleasant lucid dream.

You're basically battling your fears and paranoia. It is only a frightening experience when you give into your fear.
>>
used to happen to me because i was breathing through my mouth while sleeping. i would have these nightmarish fully conscious experiences every morning where i could feel my throat drying up and i couldn't do anything except sit there choking, trying to scream. just fix your shit. i tore a hole in my septum so i can breathe now
>>
I legitimately m enjoy sleep paralysis I feel it's analogous to astral projection except instead of being free my soul is still body bound

Scary shit but I enjoy the shadow men
>>
>>28731189
>do you get it before sleeping
no. I experience it when I'm trying to wake up. If you just go back to sleep, you'll sleep for around 10-20 minutes more. If you fight it, you'll put yourself in a state of panic.
>>
>>28730952
just close ur eyes you dummy lool
>>
>>28730952
>How the fuck do you deal with this?

I used to suffer from this quite a bit back during my college years. If it's any solace, it's been about five years since I've had a sleep paralysis episode. Perhaps one grows out of it in time.

It really is a terrible experience, isn't it? The feeling of helplessness, the terror. All of it wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the hallucinations. The bizarre thing about sleep paralysis, at least in my experience, was the feeling there was someone else present. Sometimes it was subtle, just an intuition. Sometimes it was more blatant. I'll never forget waking up feeling an invisible hand grasping my wrist and the voice whispering in my ear: "I know you're awake". Or waking up to finding the recliner I was sleeping in begin to rock, and hearing a garbled voice behind me speaking in some alien language.

For all of that, there have been some nice hallucinations. I can actually credit sleep paralysis for one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. I woke up one night at university, gripped by paralysis. The dorm room window was open. The sky was a rich, deep violet. The stars were sterling orbs, dripping with light. It was one of the few times in my life when I felt anything approaching peace. A shame, I suppose, that I could only experience that while in that bizarre twilight zone between waking and sleep.

So, OP, sleep paralysis can be horrible or beautiful. For good or for ill, you always wake up.
>>
>>28731191
I'll give it a go.

>>28731200
>>28731218
>>28731234
>>28731255
I've only had this happen 3 times so far and it really freaked me the fuck out (even though the last time there wasn't much scary happening, I got out of bed and went on 4chan like a normal morning and when I actually woke up I was confused as fuck). If this does happen again, I'l try calming down and taking control. Just hearing how you guys deal with it makes my mentality about it much better, feels soothing actually.

Thanks robots.
>>
>>28731382
In my few experiences I can't say I felt anything as drastic as your situations. No rocking or hands or even voices, but every time I've had this feeling of suffocation, like I was dying and a very heavy feeling in my entire body.

It sounds like your experiences are a bit more volatile, but not all brains are the same I guess. This whole fucking thing is so confusing and scary yet interesting at the same time.
>>
>>28731502
>It sounds like your experiences are a bit more volatile, but not all brains are the same I guess. This whole fucking thing is so confusing and scary yet interesting at the same time.

It is interesting to be sure. It's that weird juxtaposition of the waking mind and the sleeping mind trying to think at the same time. You are awake enough to perceive your surroundings, but still sleeping enough for the things that only exist in dreams to intrude.

One of my more amusing experiences (at least in retrospect) was the time I woke up and felt some unseen presence draw my blanket up around my shoulders. The unseen thing went on to gently rub my back, in kind of a reassuring manner. Sort of sweet, now that I think about it. But your waking mind intuits there is something essentially wrong about the whole thing. And that's when the experience takes on a sinister element. What you're experiencing simply shouldn't be, and the waking mind feels terror when confronted with what the dreaming mind would accept without question.
>>
Don't sleep on your back my dude
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.