[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it possible to experience long term happiness after you have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: 12234553434.jpg (213 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
12234553434.jpg
213 KB, 1280x1024
Is it possible to experience long term happiness after you have realized your own mortality?
>>
everyone's always happy for death
>>
>>28730548
I remember when I was 17 and full of angst

>inb4 "I'm not 17 I'm a full grown adult"
This doesn't help your case
>>
>>28730592
I'm not 17 I'm a full grown adult
>>
>>28730613
This doesn't help your case
>>
Yes. Why would you bother worrying about one of the few things no one can prevent, especially when it's likely multiple of your current lifetimes away?
>>
>>28730667
>, especially when it's likely multiple of your current lifetimes away

I don't understand what this means, I'm slow
>>
>>28730816
I've been alive for 26 years. There are around 3.5 more 26 year periods in my life assuming I live to be around 90. So I literally have 2.5 to 3 lifetimes ahead of me, and I'm almost 30.
Why would I spend so much time worrying about the very end of that? It's so far away.
>>
>>28730548

cryonic freezing.

I signed up.

you should too.
>>
>>28730548
Be carefree. Interact with people you know/bet you'll never see again. Have fun doing dumb shit like singing and dancing in your seat at traffic lights. Maybe trespass in old buildings in your area. Go outside. Get your body to its peak for once in your life. Take care of yourself. Try to act like a normie and you might end up with them. At least living as a robot you've had time to brood on their life and know what to avoid. Remember your roots.
>>
>>28730548
Nope, not for me atleast, had near death experience, makes you realize how mortal you are, changed me, can't live care free anymore, think everything is going to kill you
>>
>>28730548

I think about this a lot, but it doesn't stop me from doing the things that I want to do. I commute to and from work on a motorcycle and just took a two-wheel trip across my state. I travel as extensively and often as my earnings will permit, and have visited countries as diverse as Iraq, Iceland, and Colombia on tourist visas.

So far as I can tell, you worry less about death when you're at a point in life when you're actively staring it down. According to an article I read online, which may or may not have been scientific in nature, "death anxiety" tends to peak in middle-aged persons before rapidly receding after you hit about 60 or 65. Being close to realizing the limits of your own mortality gives you two choices: either you can make peace with your own impending demise, or you can hasten its arrival by constantly stressing and living in a shell.

I don't like the thought of death. The ONLY friend I had in high school died about a year and a half ago. I don't like to imagine getting married and maybe having my spouse die before me, or leaving a person who loves me behind. I don't like knowing that my parents will pass away and that I will never, ever see them again.

Sometimes I wish I was raised with religion, so that I could believe in God and a nice afterlife. But I don't, and I don't think I could make myself even if I tried.

So I stress about death every so often, but I don't bother wasting too much time and mental energy on an issue which is practically pointless to ponder, given that, at this point in time, there is no reason to think that death is avoidable.
>>
I can't fucking wait to die goddamn.
>>
>>28730548
Yes it just takes 6 to 18 months of deep thought
>>
>>28730896
Not him, but I also like to think of it this way: You, at 26, have only spent 8 years as a legal adult, and you weren't anywhere near the cognitive level you are until the very earliest sixteen. There are sixteen to eighteen years you aren't at your full potential as a human, many of which you probably don't even remember (at the very least the first 5 years or so) and now that you've reached a more stable state it'll go by at a slower pace, it seems to me at 23. I don't ever worry about life going by "too fast" because I've barely truly lived yet. Sorry if this is a mess.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.