[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I am very strongly considering living in a van >don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5
File: 6reasons1.jpg (165 KB, 1075x717) Image search: [Google]
6reasons1.jpg
165 KB, 1075x717
I am very strongly considering living in a van
>don't really like being around people
>don't care about hygiene too much
>not worried about what people think of me
>would like to be able to live off of a minimum income
what are some things i might need to keep in mind? i do not have a van yet, but i can do that easily enough.
>what type of >15,000 vans would be optimal
>how can i get access to the internet
>where can i park a van without spending much money, or none at all
>will jobs keep me on if they find out i plan to live in a van
>what kind of working/not working schedule would i be able to have
>what's the lowest hours and wage i could live in a van for
>what are states that living in a van would be viable
i would prefer to live as minimally as possible
>>
>>28701965
There's a vandwellers subreddit xDD
>>
File: 1461887788344.png (363 KB, 599x449) Image search: [Google]
1461887788344.png
363 KB, 599x449
well? no one has any tips?
>>
>>28702046
>reddit
no fucking thanks
what, am i reddit because i want to live simply?
>>
>>28702075
Won't reddit eh? Some people just don't want help xDD this is the first time anyone's thought of this idea btw enjoy pioneering the effort
>>
>>28702120
is this meant to be satire
>>
Why not boat, off the coast?
>>
>>28702075
There are probably more than a few successful and intelligent people living in vans who post on that subreddit but you literally wont investigate because le reddit is cancer
>>
There's another thread like this. Here was my reply

>>28701866

Original comment, btw desu
>>
>>28702131

fuckkkk you read my mind OP you some sorta psychic? idk... I was thinking about this (last night) long before you posted..

Always dreamed of this lifestyle. Finally admitted to myself last night that I'd be perfectly comfortable doing RV stuff for reals.

The few creature comforts you sacrifice are rewarded with indefinite freedom and also permacamping, which seems perfect.

ideally my future wife would be cool with rubbertramping it. alls we really need is a bed for some good lovemakin' and transport to the great outdoors.

i'm future trippin but i'll get there eventually
>>
>>28702430
yeah

i don't really care about money, money is just a tool to keep myself from dying. preferably i'd work intensely for a year, then strike out and do whatever.
>inb4 hardships and unforeseen troubles
that's just part of the adventure to me
>>
What do you do when your van needs repair?
>>
There's a lot of stuff on youtube about this.
Probably more on google.

Start there, come back to R9K to post progress.

Stay cool.
>>
File: image.jpg (31 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31 KB, 500x375
>>28701965
Most jobs don't want to hire people who live in a van with little to no hygiene, basically a hobo on wheels. You'll at least need a p.o box which costs money.

Tbqh the only way to get a job would be giving handjobs to truckers at rest stops
>>
How are you going to pay for gas, food, repair etc?
>>
>>28701965
>twin fin fish
>resting tail straight on asphalt
>GoPro mount in selfie mode
Fucking girls don't even like surfing gtfo my lifestyle bitch
>>
>>28701965
A qt girl I met at a mental hospital lived in a van for a while
I think she enjoyed it
Go for it Anon
>>
>>28702479
yaya exactly, but you/we would be m i n i m a l i s t i c so we'd be pretty well off working seasonal jobs. i can dig it
>>
>flat tire away from homelessness
>no fixed address leads to a multitude of problems
>accusations of "rapist" and "pedophile" will surely arise
>sketchy internet
>probably a pain to cool/heat in summer/winter

The idea sounds fun but I don't think it's practical.
>>
Nutnfancy recently did a pretty comprehensive theory on living in a van.

For fulltiming, any minivan is not enough space for the vast majority of people who do it. A good reference for the minimal interior space required are Sportmsobile conversions.

Sprinter is probably the best driving small utility and is the most popular vehicle for professional conversions.

Here is a comfy doco
:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg37Cbx-kak
>>
File: 1411317811905.jpg (17 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1411317811905.jpg
17 KB, 480x480
>>28702075
> want advice
> you've been given advice
>"no fucking thanks"
You're a piece of shit.
>>
>>28701965
>>don't care about hygiene too much
>>not worried about what people think of me
>>would like to be able to live off of a minimum income
Here is what you don't get. Start at the middle. Who's going to hire you for the bottom thing if you don't do the thing at the top.
If you look and smell homeless people will think you will scare off customers, co workers won't like it. How do you think that's going to work at all or for long enough to make enough not to live in a van anymore?
>>
>>28704522
i don't think you understand, i'm not planning to move out of the van. i just need enough money to stay alive
>>
Make friends with hippies who also live in vans. they'll be able to help out with any issues, and you might find some work at small festivals and such through them.

Look into converting horse vans, they have enough space so you wont constantly be cramped or ducking your head
>>
rather than say fuck you to my landlord and taking the huge risk of doing something crazy like that, I have begun slowly weaning myself off of living in a flat.

This way I begin to identify problems before committing myself.

>>28703308
these are among the many problems that arise.

I'm getting a P.O. box, have played around with my car seats to find a position I can realistically sleep in, made makeshift curtains, and scouted the town for free wifi hotspots that are comfortable and which do not oblige me to pay for overpriced coffee. I also got an inverter so I can power some equipment using the car battery. I also shower at work and have found free sources of clean potable water that I can collect. I have modified my diet to exclude dairy and other items that require refridgeration.

I never felt like I belonged in society, so this eclipse is a sort of fuck you. Maybe if enough of us adopted this lifestyle, we could tip this collapsing heaving economy over and start The Happening.
>>
>>28704678
No backup plan.
>>28703143
This T B H F A M

this is probably going to be what you do on the regular from now on
>Tbqh the only way to get a job would be giving handjobs to truckers at rest stops
>>
>>28703582
Nutn's videos look pretty interesting on that saw a few of his firearm videos had no idea he did this sort of thing.
>>
>>28701965
>don't care about hygiene too much
Enjoy your suffering death.
>>
File: 144423766797.jpg (20 KB, 306x306) Image search: [Google]
144423766797.jpg
20 KB, 306x306
>>28707894
>like, OMG if I dont shower twice a day i';ll DIE XD
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.