[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do they make bullets out of lead? Don't they know lead
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (85 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
85 KB, 480x640
Why do they make bullets out of lead? Don't they know lead is bad for you? Why don't we use another metal?
>>
>cheap
>low melting point
>easy to mold
Maybe /k/fags have better explinations.
>>
File: download (1).jpg (27 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
27 KB, 625x626
>make bullets out of something bad for you
>>
Bullets aren't supposed to be good for you... second lead is soft enough it doesn't fuck the barrel and chamber up as it feeds and can be spun easier by the rifling as it is soft enough to take the form of the groofeedsWe jacket bullets in other slightly less soft metals like copper because they are just hard enough to punch through heavy fabric before expanding in the body.
>>
>>28698383
We haven't had lead bullets since WWII
Holy shit you guys are stupid
>>
>>28699051
Now THAT is bait.
Oregano comet
>>
>>28699051
This
Modern bullets are 100% carbon. I don't get this whole lead meme
>>
High density
Cheap
Easy to mold
Solid lead chunks are really not that bad for your health if you're just manipulating them once in a while and wash your hands after
Deforms when hits stuff (often desired effect in terminal ballistics)

It's pretty much the perfect bullet material. Often covered in copper for various reasons.
>>
they use rubber bullets and drones on people now. Get with the times bro
>>
>>28699155
>>28699192

Bullets are made with copper alloids.
>>
>>28699000
ur a dum dum
>>
>>28699214
This is true. You can leave a lead bullet floating around in your body for years as well.
>>
>>28699214
But what if you get shot? The lead can be damaging to your health, yeah?
>>
>>28698404
Bullets are made out of lead because lead is heavy and deforms easily. There's heavier things that you can use that are more or less expensive, but they impart less energy onto the target because they deform less, and will have a tendency to just pass through targets.

modern bullets are copper jacketed mostly to protect the bullet from deforming before use, and to fit better into the chamber and more safely/smoothly engage the barrel's rifling. copper is quite soft, but not so soft that it'll easily deform just from handling. plain lead could easily get fucked up just from carrying it around roughly -- even solder for electronics work tends to get flattened or janky if stored improperly in a toolbox, because it's mostly lead.

>>28699051
this is stupid and bait but not entirely incorrect.

many moderm military munitions do not use lead, and it's illegal in a lot of places to hunt with lead shot. steel shot is preferred for environmental reasons, and in the military, anything larger than a personal rifle is likely to use something very hard for penetration's sake. and even then, high-end AP rounds do not feature very much lead, instead having a steel penetrator and just a bit of lead for weight's sake. "normal" armor-piercing rounds are coated in a thick layer of steel, and the lead is also there only for weight's sake. things like tank rounds will often use depleted uranium or hardened steel and a disposable sabot, while fragments in grenades and missiles and such will too often be made of steel.

>>28699288
this is still bait but also still surprisingly not stupid; like I said, in many places, lead bird/buckshot is illegal because it can get scattered across the land and contaminate pools of water, or be eaten by animals and make them unduly sick.
>>
they should make bullets out of diamonds since diamonds are the hardest metal on earth.
>>
>>28699353
No one cares, /k/

Origami
>>
>>28699267
They're lead with a copper jacket.
>>
>>28699270
Ha, bullet puns.
>>
>>28698383
They even made bullets out of depleted Uranium.
>>
>>28699288
The bullet wound is bad for you. If you survive and the bullet is not removed, it's no big deal. Scar tissue forms around it, and it just sits there. It doesn't make you sick or anything.
>>
File: consequences.jpg (21 KB, 400x240) Image search: [Google]
consequences.jpg
21 KB, 400x240
>>28699486
>tfw i had to listen to a bunch of nerds talk about how evil depleted uranium rounds are because they irradiate whole cities that theyre fired in

what part of D E P L E T E D do ppl not understand ffs
>>
>>28699214
>>28699353
/thread

[original comment jkasdfwe]
>>
>>28699540
>nerds
If you call them that I'd expect them to understand what alpha radiation is.

>>28698383
Do you know why lead is toxic in the first place?
Hint: It's related to the high toxicity of Aluminium
>>
>>28699540
I was going to bother explaining how DU rounds are dangerous, but I want you to accidentally die from your inadequate and inaccurate knowledge in the future.
>>
>>28699540
Depleted uranium is still radioactive, just not as radioactive as natural uranium.
>>
>>28699570
They're mostly dangerous because they're only used for really really big guns, so if you're hit with one you are fucking dead.
>>
>>28699621
I know. Depleted Uranium is very safe otherwise, you can handle it with bare hands.

I bet these anti-nuclear morons are scared of dihydrogen monoxide as well.
>>
>>28699621
well they ARE toxic and slightly radioactive. Not the kind of thing you want pulverized into dust and aerosolized on impact.
>>
>>28699651
DU is nasty shit, but not because "hurr durr nukes".

It's toxic as fuck, and gives off alpha particles. You don't want to breathe it in, which is pretty tough to avoid when it's been turned to dust on impact and is floating around in the air.
>>
>>28699651
>you can handle it with bare hands
That's a bad idea.
Just get gloves.

>>28699688
senpai, what else is there as dense as DU and not ridiculously toxic?
>>
>>28698383
lead is used in bullets because it has long been used in culture and language,
>i will fill you full of lead
>lead belly
etc
so the shooter feels more comfortable firing a projectile made of this type of mineral, its a consumer preference, so the marketing team at the bullet factory tells the production line to use the lead in the making of shooting so they sell more bulls
>>
>>28699713
Finally a real answer in this thread
>>
>>28699711
Nothing. Tungsten carbide is the closest that's actually used.

I guess DARPA might have some top secret super material that's as dense or denser than DU and not toxic.
>>
>>28699755
but he's wrong.

Lead is great for projectiles. It's dense, soft, and cheap, perfect for any shooting that doesn't involve piercing armor. It's not used just because of marketing BS.
>>
>>28699758
>Tungsten carbide
This sounds way too expensive to just put into a gun and give your enemy.

>I guess DARPA might have some top secret super material that's as dense or denser than DU and not toxic.
I seriously doubt that, because most things that are hard and super heavy are really, really unhealthy.
>>
>>28699854
>I seriously doubt that, because most things that are hard and super heavy are really, really unhealthy.
you're right actually, tungsten is actually more toxic than DU
>>
>tfw this unexpectedly turned into an interesting thread
>>
>>28699854
>This sounds way too expensive to just put into a gun and give your enemy.
They've used it since WW2. APCR tank shells were steel with a tungsten carbide core. On impact, the steel would break away, and the tungsten carbide core would punch through. It was so expensive, many tank crews never saw any. And those that did only received a few; less than 10 per tank.

>>28699924
[citation needed]
All I'm seeing is that Tungsten Carbide is an inhalation risk like any dust.
>>
>>28699999
>and tfw i unexpectedly got quints
>>
File: 1461383485034.jpg (18 KB, 313x470) Image search: [Google]
1461383485034.jpg
18 KB, 313x470
>>28699999
nice quints my man
>>
File: image.jpg (66 KB, 960x949) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
66 KB, 960x949
>>28699999
Holy mother of GET
>>
File: 1463762821481.gif (2 MB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
1463762821481.gif
2 MB, 300x225
>>28699999
jesus fuck those quints
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.