[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've been playing poker for a week now and I still don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
I've been playing poker for a week now and I still don't get how people can make a living off of a game that is basically random.

Reading and bluffing is like 5% of the game. From analyses that I've read, the best players were simply luckier.
>>
>>28697497
It's not luck. Being able to read other humans, and managing whether or not it's a bluff, is a real skill. I mean, there is an element of luck in the game, like which cards come out next, for sure, but yeah.. my argument still stands. Eat it
>>
You're forgetting all the decision making and risk evaluation, it's not just random.
>>
>>28697748
not to mention statistics playing a huge part.
>>
>>28697497

>Reading and bluffing is like 5% of the game

That's objectively wrong. Literally rule #1 of poker is that you don't play the cards, you play the opponents. Having a 7/2 hand doesn't matter if you can convince your opponent you have pocket Aces.
>>
>>28697497
> I've been playing poker for a week
Hush everyone! Poker pro is speaking.
>>
File: 1456561439684.png (254 KB, 381x403) Image search: [Google]
1456561439684.png
254 KB, 381x403
>>28697497

>poke fora week
>I still dont get
>still dont get
>STILL dont get
>STILL
>a week

now this is a high quality thread
>>
>>28697497
>I've been playing a game for a week that takes decades to master
>why aren't I rolling in cash yet

how are you this retarded
>>
>>28697791
not in this century
>>
>blackjack rat
>always lose money
>do it anyway

I hate myself
>>
>>28697791
>>28697788
>>28697748

Are there computers that outperform humans in poker? If the answer is no then it's just luck based. If it were skill based a computer should be able to beat humans always by calculating odds.
>>
>>28698747
Luck is a part but poker is about playing your opponent, reading both the situation and their reactions/emotions.

Something which computers aren't very good at.
>>
>>28697497
are you playing online? I can help i make 40k a year playing online.
>>
>>28697791
You're a fucking fish dude
>>
>>28698794

At the highest level there are no reactions or emotions. Everyone looks like a wax figure with sunglasses
>>
>>28699042
You're right. But you can still read your opponents reaction to your play by paying attention to what they do on their turn.

Poker really isn't as simple as you seem to think.
>>
>>28698747
Yes.
That's why online poker rooms have anti-scripting measures in place.
Doubly so because there's not as much human reading to be done online so the statistical element matters that much more.
>>
File: comfypepe.png (167 KB, 636x426) Image search: [Google]
comfypepe.png
167 KB, 636x426
I play pub poker games 4 times a week typically. $20-50 buy ins and most weeks I always cash between $200-1000.

But when I go online I lose EVERY time. I might work my way up to a couple grand but I always end up losing one way or another.

I seriously believe that it's mostly luck online.
>>
>>28699200
>what are implied odds and reverse implied odds
git gud
>>
There are so many factors, it's not even funny.

Who's your opponent?
How has he/she played their hands during the time you've been at the table?
How have they reacted to certain flops?
How do they react to your raises/calls?
How do they react to others raises/calls?
Are they consistent in their folds/calls/raises?

And this is just analysing ONE person.
>>
>>28698747
there was a computer that beat a bunch of poker professionals recently. It was even streamed on twitch.
>>
>>28699235
Obviously this isn't NECESSARY to win, but it increases your chances to win. The fact that reading your opponent is something that WORKS makes poker more complex than just being "luck".
>>
>>28699200
table poker pros and online poker pros use two completely different skill sets

at the table you can look at your opponent/have your opponent look at you which means reading the body language is a very important part of the game

online you can't do that, so online professionals are way better at reading bluffs through how you bet/bluffing with their own bets. The AI that beat a bunch of professional poker players only used analysis on betting habits of the players and nothing else to come out on top.
>>
>>28698747
No.
Computers fucking suck at poker, because it's a game with incomplete information.

There's more to poker than statistics, which is effectively just luck.
>>
>>28699217
>playing just on odds
Confirmed never made a profit online or off.
>>
>>28699380
>strawmanning ever
confirmed retard
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.