[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Thread of Learning
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1
File: robotbro.png (67 KB, 531x354) Image search: [Google]
robotbro.png
67 KB, 531x354
ITT we tell each other which skills we're trying to learn, or want to learn. Also talk about the problems you're facing while learning said skills.

I'll go first:
Does mechanical engineering or electrical engineering require more math? I want to learn either because I want to invent stuff but I don't like the math involved.
>>
>everything
>I'm literally (literally) mentally retarded, as in, have even trouble remembering which thread I posted in five seconds ago

Suicide is only solution.
>>
>>28678226
Both require a pretty good amount of math, yeah, but a lot of it comes down to etablished formulas and equations.

I really wish I had more room to myself, particularly in my yard so I could learn homebrew blacksmithing and other metallurgy stuff, like casting bullets from lead and reloading by hand.

Also, beekeeping
>>
>>28678263
>everything
Iktfb, everything seems kinda interesting.

>literally mentally retarded
Explain yourself. Half the time I hear this shit it's just someone who lacks confidence. I don't remember in which thread I posted five seconds ago either, because I don't have any attention span at all.
>>
>>28678685
Anyone you also heard that from would absolutely tear me in any political or scientific debate. I would just zone off and at best vaguely remember the subject to possibly check it out at home before I close the tab because I literally can't parse a sentence before my comprehension disintegrates and I have to restart it. And when I try to brute-force it by remembering every single word of it, I forget the subject: it goes like 'the production, aha, production, got it, comparatively, yes, comparatively, that means in comparison to something that will be revealed, has, meaning has begun, ...wait, production of what again?'.

High school drop-out too. You can fuck off with your pity misdiagnoses of 'you're just emotionally troubled'. I've never been emotionally troubled, I'm just defective.
>>
>>28678226
Engineering by default is math heavy. That's why in countries where people perform poorly in mathematics engineers are paid well. In countries like China it's generally lower pay
>>
>>28678780
Are you diagnosed? Shit like being unable to focus on long sentences is pretty common, even I have it. Sometimes I spend minutes on one sentence and then give up. You're not a special snowflake so stop pretending. Pretty sure you could focus just fine if there was a gun to your head.
>>
>>28678264
>>28678929
So both need a lot of math, but I can get away with predetermined formulas as long as I know what they do? I've seen some shit in an electronics book when calculating complex waves (or whatever they're called) that almost made me kill myself. Does this become doable as well?
>>
bump bump bumpada bump
>>
>>28678226
I am trying to /g/ /dpt/ /wdg/ but no CS meme degree, just doing it after work for 6 months so far
>>
>>28680101
What are dpt and wdg? I assume you mean programming by /g/?
>>
>>28680356
yeah, programming and web development
>>
>>28680694
That's pretty cool. I've been programming for several years and I think it's a pretty easy skill to learn, at least relative to a lot of other things that either require expensive equipment or human test subjects. How far have you come and what are you currently focusing on?
>>
>>28678226
Are you literally retarded?
Look up a curriculum. If you don't enjoy or at least have an aptitude for math, you wont make it

https://psbehrend.psu.edu/school-of-engineering/academic-programs/electrical-engineering/curriculum
>>
>>28681101
>math
>math
>more math
>math
>btw math

God fucking damnit.

Regardless, is there some way I can see what books they're using?
>>
>>28681039
>That's pretty cool. I've been programming for several years and I think it's a pretty easy skill to learn, at least relative to a lot of other things that either require expensive equipment or human test subjects

I second this.
>>
>>28681768
Probs not. Most course textbooks change every couple of years. However, depending on what level of math you're comfortable with, you can find some open source courses online.

Try googling:
purple math
khan academy
mit opencourseware

Good luck. engineering majors have one of the highest dropout rates.

Source: I'm an aerospace engineering major
>>
>>28678226
>Does mechanical engineering or electrical engineering require more math?

EE looks more difficult due to complex numbers and maxwell equations. Mech Eng can get complex if you start modeling with FEM. On the basic level both are simple.

I don't think you need deep knowledge of theoretical EE or ME to invent useful devices, you need to learn the basics of circuits and physics and study other useful devices, then com up with your own ideas.

Also please don't forget that you can always find any technical book on Library Genesis: http://gen.lib.rus.ec/
Someone should make a thread about useful books from there, or maybe discuss it here..
>>
>>28681907
Currently (very slowly) reading a basic electronics book. Sounds like fun once you get through the basic theory, i.e. in about 4 years of constant practice and learning.

I'm not looking to become a pro, or even go to college. I just want to do it at home so I can make cool gadgets. I already went to college for programming and I regret it.
>>
>>28682069
If it's anything like programming, I imagine I don't NEED to know the intricate details, but they sure help make everything more intuitive than just knowing the high-level concepts.
>>
>>28682069
Also thanks for the library genesis link. I never knew of such a site, so this is pretty amazing.
>>
>>28682142
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/

Problem is, virtually every field of engineering is going to be contingent upon a good grasp of calculus, at the very least.

As far as just wanting to tinker, i.e. not looking for formal education, I'm not sure what to tell you, as my experience has been totally limited to college studies.

You should probably just suck it up and force yourself to learn some math if you actually want to pursue it. You'll thank yourself later, when getting into practical application
>>
>>28682346
Math would help me in a lot of things I want to do in life. It just seems like it would take a ridiculously long time before I learn any real applicable math - like at least 2 years. I don't want to study shit for 2 years before I can practically apply it. But if I have to then I'll take baby steps and maybe I'll come to like it in due time.
>>
>>28682313
ANY existing technical book for free.
>>
>>28682411
It would definitely take some work and, likely, frustration. Telling yourself that you can't do it is bullshit though. Esp if you have a programming degree/experience. Math is very similar in concept to programming. Both are terse and analytical, reliant upon algorithms and process of elimination. Tenacity will take you much further than innate talent. Good luck anon.
>>
>>28678226
I've been working with mechanical engineers for about six months, and so far what I've seen there's little to no math involved. When they need to size equipment or do any actual building/energy calculations, there's a computer program that will do it for you. I'm sure their education was very math-heavy however.
>>
>>28678226
Pirate Solidworks. Try to build stuff in it.
>>
>>28679361
Imo electrical requires more math. I'm studying it and it has quite an amount of mathematics in all subjects. Mechanical has alot of subjects that are mostly theoretical.
>>
>>28678226

I want to shit a complete log.

Just one long piece, circled tiedy up, perhaps even going on up the toilet, so it looks like a snake trying to escape.
>>
>>28682528
What's your point?

Also most books are Russian, which is unfortunate.

>>28682538
I know I CAN do it, but the proper motivation is lacking. Not because I don't want to, but because I can look forward to mental torture for a long time.

I will do it though. Thanks.

>>28682637
I assume you need to understand the internals, even if you only work on an abstract level. For instance, if you have 2 different mechanical constructs that you can use, and you have to pick one, you can use the math to calculate which one is more efficient, durable, cheap, etc. I also imagine that there are scenarios where they don't have a computer with them, and still have to solve problems/make something.

>>28682797
I have noticed that EE requires a lot of math. I was hoping ME needed less, but I guess they're both close enough to not matter much.

>>28682825
Very ambitious. Good luck!
>>
i play guitar and have finished "studying" japanese but haven't finished learning japanese nomsayin

i really want to learn how to draw because i think the fact that i've completely neglected it has made me visual-spatially a retard. i can't really picture shit in my head without fucking up really hard and i can't engage with a piece of art like i'd like to. i know learning to play music and training my ear made me appreciate music way more, so maybe learning to draw will help me appreciate the visual world more. or help me jack off to helpless moe anime girls
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.