[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>want to learn a new language >check duolingo >it's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: 1373013068418.jpg (66 KB, 512x548) Image search: [Google]
1373013068418.jpg
66 KB, 512x548
>want to learn a new language
>check duolingo
>it's all shitty languages
>not even so much as chinese, let alone japanese

what the fuck? what's the point? half of these are going to be defunct within 20 years anyway
>>
>>28662652
You know that books still exist right? You don't need to learn everything from the internet.
>>
I felt the same way
>want to learn nip
>djt's guides are so hard to read and navigate
>incredibly intimidating to start
>books cost a lot
and so I go back to what I usually do, rewatch anime and foreign movies over and over to try to pick out words and contextual meanings
>>
File: 1426051876895.jpg (8 KB, 250x238) Image search: [Google]
1426051876895.jpg
8 KB, 250x238
>>28662664
>reading a book to learn a language
>>
>>28662664
Also if you want to learn Japanese, go to /a/'s Daily Japanese Thread.
>>
>>28662664
You know that books cost money, right?
>>
>>28662664
textbooks cost $100+ and only last you for a few months before you pass the material and need to get a new one

>>28662759
>djt
it's full of pretentious people who make fun of anyone with less than perfect grammar and call any questions shitposting
their guide is a google doc that has 20-30 people making changes to it at any given time you could be reading it, along with the fact taht it is organized in such a weird autistic way taht requires directions on how to read it
I'm half convinced that 99.999% of them can't even speak japanese and only have a basic knowledge required to call other people stupid
>>
>>28662652
>every language that doesn't help me understand anime is shit
Kill yourself.

>>28662812
>textbooks cost $100+
Why would you buy a new textbook? Grammar does not change so often that you need a 2016 edition of the lastest book with fancy pictures. There's tonnes of material online and and in libraries, for free.
>>
>>28662775
>>28662812
Torrent it if you want. Or borrow it from a library. Or maybe you should spend the $100+ so won't give up so easily.
>>
>>28662652
You do realize that Duolingo is a free service, right?

If you don't like it, don't use it.
>>
>>28662652

It happened to Georges Dumezil, the dude was a PhD in History who learned over 70 languages and dialects, the fucker ended being the last guy speaking some unknown dialects from eastern yurop.
The good point was that he never was in unemployement, so there's that.
>>
>>28662868
>you know you don't have to use the internet right
>"yeah, but books are expensive"
>"so? use the internet"
??????
kill yourself ESL
>>28662888
kill yourself too ESL
>>
>>28662910
>libraries = internet
>you can't download pdfs
Are you retarded?
>>
Bitch elsewhere. They had like 3 or 4 languages on offer and now they have heaps more.

Also Asian languages is shit.
>>
Spanish, French and Russian are pretty useful anon
>>
>>28662910
What kind of person are you? Are you even interested in trying to learn a language or did you just come to bitch about duolingo? Fucking Danny Choo learned Japanese from watching anime, going to classes and speaking to people. Millions of people go to interpals for that shit too. I can't tell if you're either too stupid to figure out that shit or just arrogant.
>>
>>28662708
>and so I go back to what I usually do, rewatch anime and foreign movies over and over to try to pick out words and contextual meanings
This worked for me with english, but Japanese seems impossible to learn that way. Maybe it's the different alphabet, maybe it's me being older and more resistant to new knowledge, but after years I still only know the few stock phrases that everybody knows like "sugoi" and other shit you wouldn't want to say outloud.

I tried to learn Japanese once the right way by studying, but I gave up when trying to learn katakana. How does anyone recognize those symbols is beyond me.
>>
>>28662652
http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/
>>
>>28664062
>>>/a/141686186
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pKgBm8Aa58mjB1hYhbK-VOPZsRBTXBuPBzw8Xikm2ss/pub?embedded=true
>>
>>28662652
memrise
>>
>>28662652
https://www.reddit.com/r/LearnJapanese/wiki/index/startersguide
>>
>spending at least an hour every day learning French
>tell people it's because I'm gunning for a federal job and French is all but required in Canuckistan
>actually doing it to be closer to mai waifu
>inb4 my waifu is shit
>>
File: 4L_5aOqTMwh.jpg (63 KB, 520x351) Image search: [Google]
4L_5aOqTMwh.jpg
63 KB, 520x351
memrise is a good phone app to download if you're looking to learn a new language. it's a nice side thing to have in addition to having textbooks or going to a class and it's free, definitely a must have imo, check it out
>>
What do I do to learn German?
I don't really care about pronunciation I just wanna be able to read krautchan and understand rammstein.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.