[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who here's isolated by their inteIligence/desire to learn?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 5
File: lhc_long_1.jpg (71 KB, 800x411) Image search: [Google]
lhc_long_1.jpg
71 KB, 800x411
Who here's isolated by their inteIligence/desire to learn?

Now before you all start your fedora tipping memes, I don't think I'm some genius, but I won't be glib at the fact that I'm smart, and it's always led to me being unable to relate to my friends.

I would like science, they would like superhero movies. I paid attention in physics, they'd fuck about. I'd try to talk to them about something like the LHC, they'd get bored and want to talk about WoW or drugs. I get that people have other hobbies, but that stuff seems to form the basis of their lives.

I fucking tried for years to like the same stuff. I saw the boring movies, I played the redundant games, but I could just never relate. The joy I got every time a new discovery was made in scientific community was comparable to them finding out Spiderman was in the new Captain America movie. I just felt like they cared more about an easy life than one where you can learn and better yourself intellectually. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's not one that I could relate to.

That was high school. I'm 18 now, moving into electrical engineering at college next year... who knows, might meet people more on my level.
>>
>>28658699
You can't relate to them because you've got a superiority complex.
>>
>>28658699

I used to feel that way when I was your age. Over time I realized my sense of elitism really held me back. Each person is uniquely individual and worth getting to know. If you truly are that intelligent, you'll be smart enough to invoke conversation with people of all backgrounds.

I do however understand the feeling of unique interests. Be careful, your ego may isolate you from people you might really enjoy if you gave them the chance.
>>
File: enlightened.png (179 KB, 1134x328) Image search: [Google]
enlightened.png
179 KB, 1134x328
>>28658699
Who here enlightened by their own intelligence?
>>
>>28658699
>>28658765
>more on my level
i think its safe to say its superiority complex
>>
>>28658699
>who knows, might meet people more on my level.
Post-secondary is the same as secondary but people start drinking and throwing up more.
>>
>>28658765
>>28658846
>superiority complex

I don't. The reason I study so much and want to learn is because I realise how little I know. Most people seem to think they know everything, but I can at least appreciate my high school education is a drop in the ocean, that's why I'm trying to further my education with EE.

Aristotle was considered one of the smartest men of ancient Greece, not because he knew everything, but because he was willing to admit he didn't.

>>28658827
Not an atheist.
>>
>>28658781
What a clicheload of populism. Not only are you not as smart as you think you are, you also were not smart as you thought you were if you spout such egalitarian shit.
>>
>>28658891
denial, more self-esteem, repeat
go on, i won't stop you
>>
>>28658827
>quoting himself
what a fag.
>>
>>28658699
Most people, inlcuding actual particle physicists would just be annoyed when some average autist try to talk to them about the LHC because people who havent studied physics for years dont have the knowledge to talk about that with any actual substance whatsoever. Itd just be regurgitation of the latest science headlines, throwing about some words you dont actually understand what means, or even much worse coming up with amateur, half baked "theories".
When laymen are to talk about "the latest scientific discoveries" there is fodder for a few minutes of conversation maximum, anything beyond that would devolve into wild, amateur speculation or blind regurgitation of wikipedia articles they dont understand.
>>
>>28658908
You sound a lot like the narrow minded people in my life. God forbid someone show some intellect because that might confuse you.
>>
>>28658699
The majority of highly intelligent people I have met enjoy doing dumb shit and generally just fool around. They don't talk about physics and science for funzies and don't read science based literature all day long. However, I do know people who do exactly what you say you do and they are either pseudo intellectuals or, like everyone else is saying, have superiority complexes.
>>
>>28658699
OP, understand that it is really quite easy to be "smart" in high school. High school is just a tiny population of the real world, and you may be in for a rude awakening when you get to college.

Having an interest is not enough. Intelligence requires more than just an interest in these things, it requires work to understand on a deeper level what's going on. If you really want to get ahead and actually be the person you claim to in this post, start studying physics and math now - /sci/ has a good self learning guide on their wiki.
>>
>>28658970
>Most people, inlcuding actual particle physicists would just be annoyed when some average autist try to talk to them about the LHC because people who havent studied physics for years dont have the knowledge to talk about that with any actual substance whatsoever

Well I'm not trying to talk to particle physicists, just some of my friends. I wouldn't go up to someone at CERN and talk about the LHC, I would probably be more in awe of them than anything to do that.

And I actually understand this stuff. I don't care if my friends only have a basic "IFUCKINGLOVESCIENCE.COM LOL SO NERDY" understanding of it, I just want to talk to someone who's interested. Even if they don't know anything, I'd be happy to explain it for them.
>>
>>28658699
You'll find more relatable people in college as long as you go into STEM, although expect a lot of them to talk about drugs and superhero movies.
>>
>>28658971
there is a reason why i don't hang out with "narrow minded" people and you are fine example
also "god forbid"
sigh
>>
You're not smart, kid. just shut the fuck up and get your wagecuck degree.
>>
>>28658975
>However, I do know people who do exactly what you say you do and they are either pseudo intellectuals
What I talk to friends about makes up only a fraction of what I study, what I learn. Would I bother trying to go through pure mathematics with someone who wasn't interested in popular science applications?

I've met people who are 'pseudo-intellectuals'. The people who like "SCIENCE SUPER NERDY" pages on Facebook but have no understanding of what's going on. They don't have a clue of the real science behind what they're reading, they just absent mindedly look at the screen and think "OH GOOD THAT'S GOING TO COUNTER GLOBAL WARMING YAY LET'S SAVE SOME PENGUINS"

>>28658979
>you may be in for a rude awakening when you get to college.
Honestly, I hope so. I'd rather be challenged than have another easy ride.
>>
File: 1440868603941.jpg (27 KB, 600x750) Image search: [Google]
1440868603941.jpg
27 KB, 600x750
>>28659063
>also "god forbid"
Oh sorry, did I trigger your atheist ass or something? Going to tell me how gods not real and a phony and all that?

I'm not arguing about religion, we're talking about science.
>>
>>28658891
That was Socrates. In the most famous version of that story, idk maybe there is one for aristotle too, but I doubt it considering Aristotles' work. Youre most likely misremembering the one about Socrates.

You come across as a complete pseud desu.

>>28658971
Reading wikipedia articles, or whatever shows neither intellect or actual, understanding of something.

>The reason I study so much and want to learn is because I realise how little I know

I actually feel much the same way though, you just need to not be a total autist in what you push into conversation. If you barely know shit about something dont bring it up with other people who dont know about it or arent interested.
>>
>>28659018
>I'd be happy to explain it for them.
calm down op. you can't explain shit about particle physics

not only that, you are going to school for electrical engineering. If you are interested in physics, why not take physics?
>>
>>28659131
>If you are interested in physics, why not take physics?
I'm interested in all fields of science. They all interest me.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (28 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
28 KB, 480x360
>>28659107
no, we are not talking about science assuming you are >>28658971
we are talking about superiority complex
and we can discuss religion from agnoistic view point
>>
>>28659018
You dont know shit about particle physics, your friends dont know shit about particle physics. If you read some articles about a topic, or some popsci books thats enough for a few minutes of rather onesided conversation. Which is okay sometimes, but not all, or most of the time.

>And I actually understand this stuff
No you dont, not unless you have studied it intensely for years, and that goes for anything (evolutionary bio, Particle physics, cosmology etc)
>>
>>28658699
It's all about finding people that are similar to yourself, anon. If you don't take interest in movies, games and alcohol/drugs then yeah, it's likely that you won't fit in with mainstream people because those are the things 99% of young guys are into. For normies finding friends happens automatically, because everywhere they go they find like-minded people. For you, you'll most likely have to go out of your way to seek out people who are similar to you, otherwise you'll just end up alone and wondering what the fuck happened.

When you go to college things will stay mostly the same, however there will probably be a couple of people on your course who are actually very interested in what they're studying and do a lot of related stuff outside of school as well. My advice would be to quickly find out who they are and get to know them.
>>
>>28659213
>No you dont
Except that I do. I've been studying this for years. I'm not talking wikipedia articles or KhanAcademy videos. I've received lecture notes and textbooks from older friends who have done physics, chem, medicine, etc at university.

The average teen would spend all night playing CS:GO, I'd be stuck in my room reading a new chapter of some biochem textbook.

I'm not claiming to be a genius at these things, but I do know a lot, more than a lot of undergraduate students do and I'm not even at college/uni yet.
>>
Hey guys I've seen threads like this and I know what you're thinking. He's 18, he's into science, he seems narrow minded. But you've got to ask yourself where you were at 18, and tell me you had shit figured as this guy does.
OP just go to some clubs and talk about the stuff you like. Learn to listen to other people about their shit and probe them with questions. A person who doesn't care about leading the conversation is either a uninterested woman or a bore, and you sound like a bore.
>>
op conflates knowing things with scientific 'knowledge'?

lmao idiot go study philosophy
>>
>>28659213

You realize he's trolling you, right? This is a standard odd-level variant, in which he pretends to be autistic to make you look autistic by responding.
>>
Intelligent people don't learn things blindly like this, being intelligent is all about questioning things permanently and trying to figure out things by yourself.
>>
>>28658781
>Over time I realized my sense of elitism really held me back.

This right here. Even the people at CERN hit the bar after work and don't think about physics 24/7.
>>
>>28659361
>being intelligent is all about questioning things permanently and trying to figure out things by yourself.
I couldn't agree more, right now I'm trying to build the foundations of my knowledge so I can start to answer questions later.

But I mean, you wouldn't go straight into answering questions about pure mathematics if you didn't understand the foundations first.

That'll be something I'll look to in a few years.
>>
>>28659381
>Even the people at CERN hit the bar after work and don't think about physics 24/7.
I understand this, honestly, I do. I don't want to talk about science 24/7, but in the same vein I don't want to talk about sports and video games 24/7.
>>
>>28659420
It's pretty clear to me from your posts that you don't talk to enough people for long enough. You are isolated, not by your 'love of science' but by not being willing to listen to others.
Do you honestly expect people to care about what you care about in the way you care about it? Find common ground, get in a club, stop whining and start socializing. You sound like a woman.
>>
>>28659420
I'm not trying to put you down or anything, if you are into this then you should pursue it. But don't make the mistake I did of being told how much of a "wizz kid" I was, but in reality all it did was isolate me as like >>28659248 said 99% of people will not be able to relate to you.

I started staying inside and focusing on my interests rather than going out and socializing (I have other issues too).

> I just felt like they cared more about an easy life than one where you can learn and better yourself intellectually.

This is where you need to compromise, I too would rather pursue my interests over watching the latest flick but I force myself into doing it as that is how friendships are maintained.

I don't really know where I was going with this post but I've certainly been there myself and it mostly leads to isolation, unfortunately.
>>
Learning physics for example isn't just about understanding things,you should have great mathematical background like calculus,linear algebra,differential equations and etc.

Consider this also on chemistry,astophysics,applied fields like engineering,electronics,EE etc.

I understand OP, I'm also interested in science,but I don't want to be just explain-tier and "I understand black holes" thing.

In order to actually understand thing,you need to learn mathematics.
>>
>>28658699
I like learning new memes
>>
>>28658699
You're just a typical pop culture science fan. Generally these are people with low iqs who compensate by talking about boring shit like the lhc and feeling superior.
>>
>>28659608
>You are isolated, not by your 'love of science' but by not being willing to listen to others
Again, nope. I listen to people as much as I can. I've tried for years. You're just making assumptions to try and prove a point (what point that is, I'm unsure).

>>28659693
>I don't really know where I was going with this post but I've certainly been there myself and it mostly leads to isolation, unfortunately.
No, I do understand what you're saying. I nearly gave up on people completely because of this, quickly got myself out of it because I realised completely focusing on science and whatnot was going to lead to something bad.

If I go out to a bar with my friends I'm not sat there the whole time thinking "God I wish I was reading about ____". I enjoy myself, but I can't devote all my time to stuff like that.
>>
>>28658891
Oh geez. You're not Aristotle.
>>
>>28659788
>You're just a typical pop culture science fan. Generally these are people with low iqs who compensate by talking about boring shit like the lhc and feeling superior.
Again, another person who has no idea what they're talking about. I'm taking up an actual career in science.
>>
>>28659828
Sure pal. Even science labs need a janitor. Smart people don't go around telling everyone how smart they are. That's what dumb people do.
>>
>>28659838
>>28659838
holy fuck someone call 911 we have a savage on the run
>>
OP, what university are you going to next year?
>>
>>28659804
>>28659828
Well I'm out. Good luck OP, hopefully you'll stop being a cunt someday.
I suggest you save this thread and reflect on it later in life. You might really believe that you're right right now, but if you truly believe you can be proven wrong get ready for that to become a reality.
>>
>>28658699
>OP states a desire to learn and frankly acknowledges that most people don't have this ambition
>gets REE'd by shitposters and hyper defensive christfags when he never even mentioned religion
i feel you OP, but most people resent someone who is or tries to be superior to them
>>
I never knew how annoying I could be talking about my interests until I met someone like myself.

We are good friends now but it can get very tiresome when he talks about his interests (classic cars) nonstop, and I don't even think he realizes he's doing it. Nothing worse then a good atmosphere being ruined by someone bringing up a topic that's been discussed to death in that particular group, that's why people are receptive at first but grow bored of the subject the second time round.

I don't even mention my interests these days expect when specifically asked and even then its just a brief summery.
>>
>>28660172
>Nothing worse then a good atmosphere being ruined
Ok ruined is a bit strong, dampened is a better way to describe it.
>>
When I read forums about very niche fields I'm still surprised to see that many of the posters still have wive's and family's of their own, its like they have managed to find that balance between geeking out and behaving "normal" enough for people to stick around them.
>>
>>28658699

Jesus fucking Christ, OP, give me a break.

I'm not trying to be an asshat. What you wrote is probably exactly what I would have said when I was your age. Now, six years past graduation, I'm laughing at the person I used to be. The intelligence you have - or rather, that you think you have - is not exceptional. There are children creating robots, solving complex mathematical equations, and making a mark on the world, right at this very second.

Meanwhile, you, such a smart and respectable individual, are happily shitposting on a meme website. Your "level" is exactly one step above theirs. You will finish university with a decent degree that will you give a commendable level of respect, you will die, and nobody will remember your name or the last thing about you within a generation of your death. People won't even read your obituary.

Take your head out of your asshole. You are not special, and your existence is not worth more than anyone else's.

I am going to medical school. I have a degree in neuroscience, I have traveled to 50 countries on my own, and I lived in a developing nation on my own. Regardless of all that I think I've achieved, I know that I'm living for myself, and that I've yet to make the slightest impact upon the world. I am nobody, as are you, as are the people you're bitching about for being "anti-intellectual" and not enjoying your autistic ramblings about the LHC.
>>
>>28658699
Hey hold the phone I saw this same shit a day or two ago. Your thread was shit then and it's still shit today.
>>
>>28658699
I've been there.

>>28660453
Yeah, this guy is correct. You will achieve next to nothing in your life, you are not special, 2 billion people exist who with some training could fill any role you could, once you realise you are worthless and replaceable live your life for yourself and enjoy it while you can.

Just because people don't want to chat with you about a the LHC doesn't mean they are stupid, it's just that it doesn't entertain them, you give your peers far too little credit. All this superiority will just hold you back from getting friends, jobs and even a girlfriend.
>>
>>28660671
As in I've been to the collider, I have never been stupid enough to think I was better than everyone I interact with.
>>
Op, you are fucking stupid, save your first post, print if and then go back here the first day it makes you blush.
Let's hope it's tomorrow
>>
>>28660689

I'm: >>28660453.

I don't think it's unusual for high schoolers to think they're hotshots - in sports, in academics, in music, or any other area. It's just best for OP that he grows out of his special snowflake stage as soon as possible.

I am incredibly happy with my life right now because I've gotten past the point where I base my contentment on what strangers are doing.
>>
File: 1440576427106.jpg (31 KB, 764x329) Image search: [Google]
1440576427106.jpg
31 KB, 764x329
>>28660861
>when you remember you typed stuff as a teenager
>full on XD comments
>>
>>28661030
Your posting style makes me cringe Mr memer.
>>
>>28661395
I'll fuckin meme you in the face kiddo
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.