[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
book recommendation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5
File: HP Druckerdiagnosetools.jpg (290 KB, 450x2138) Image search: [Google]
HP Druckerdiagnosetools.jpg
290 KB, 450x2138
I've just started reading a few mainstream fantasy books. Currently i'm in the middle of the wise man's fear and i noticed, that i get sick of reading washed stories of good guys. Could any of the robots here recommend me a good fantasy novel which is about gritty mercenaries ?

bonus points for morally grey protagonist
extra bonus points for protagonist is bad guy (psychopathic, etc.)
>>
Not mercinary but I'm reading a book about a WWII destroyer which gets transported to an alternate Earth and gets caught up in the war there. The plot focuses on the captain mainly but the battles and actions are all pretty good.

It's a pretty good read.
>>
>he reads fiction
>doesn't read nonfiction

enjoying your little fairytales anon?
>>
>>28657544
Nice dubs.
Magician and the Anvil of Ice.

If you want scifi go read Use of Weapons.
>>
File: ghr.jpg (6 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
ghr.jpg
6 KB, 225x225
>>28657593
not really what i was looking for, still enjoy fantasy stories more than oalternate timelines, but thanks m8
>>28657635
yes, why else would i read them ?
>>28657639
gonna check it out, thanks for the recommandation
>>
Are you open to anything besides fantasy?
>>
>>28657670
To each their own bro

I'm more into alternate timeline stories cantered or starting with WWII tech. Having said that I started reading Weapons of Choice but could never really get into it.
>>
>>28657711
if its a bit like warhammer 40k (fused with fantasy)
sure m8
>>28657639
both not released in my homecountry, will most likely get as pdf
>>
File: Rose-Leslie21.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
Rose-Leslie21.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1200
>>28657733
I'm kinda sick of WW2. Seen so many documentaries, that it gets boring. But how could i hate something with these dubs ?
>>
fantasy is gay

rogue warrior by dick marcincko
>>
>>28657741
Sorry, can't really help you with scifi or fantasy.
>>
File: angela.jpg (7 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
angela.jpg
7 KB, 259x194
>>28657810
ok then
>>28657821
ok then, but thanks for the effort m8
>>
>>28657834
Maybe check out Dune if you haven't already.
>>
Henning Mankell: Midsummer eve
Chris Carter: the death sculptor
Samuel Bjork: Angel`s Cold
>>
How do people find reading enjoyable? I'm not shitposting either, I'm genuinely curious. I just can't get into reading despite spending nearly all day reading text off a screen.
>>
>>28657778
My interest of it tends to drop in and out but I always end up back top it. Just ordered two books containing after action reports for every day of the Battle of Britain.

Looking forward to reading them.
>>
>>28657874
Why do you like videogames? Why do you like movies? It's no different only that it's the most versatile storytelling medium.
>>
>>28657544
try 'The Gunslinger' by stephen king, its got a hole series and the protagonist isnt one of those holier than thou guys and is pretty cold at times but is ultimately 'good'
>>
File: yuno_Gasaii.png (1 MB, 4655x4153) Image search: [Google]
yuno_Gasaii.png
1 MB, 4655x4153
>>28657874
it's only enjoyable, if you set your mind to it. With full concentration on the text, you get a really full fletched out story and something that sticks in your head long after.
Problem is to keep your discipline with it, but if you can keep it up, the mind starts working throught the read stuff over and over again, fusing it with your fantasy.
Basically escapism for the poor.
>>
>>28657846
good suggestion anon
>>
Lovecraft: the case of charles dexter ward
Stephen King: under the dome , mr Mercedes, 1922
Dostojewski: the dream of a ridiculous man
>>
Finnegans Wake

it's a really cool fantasy novel about ancient gods fighting (and some other thigns)
>>
dracula by brahm stoker, it is even better if you've watched a few versions of the movie so you have something to compare it to. sorry to be 'that guy', though, but the book is better t b h
>>
>>28657922
that actually sounds good and there is a localization, so perfect
>>28657973
the third seems right up my alley
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.