[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
IQ Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 8
File: image.jpg (11 KB, 170x227) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
11 KB, 170x227
IQ thread.

>inb4 it's useless: cf. educational, occupational, social, & c. validity
>inb4 it's useless 'in itself', '...unless you put it to use': arbitrary separation from its correlates
>inb4 anecdotal 'but I know a smart/stupid guy who...' exceptions
>inb4 'IQ != intelligence': cf. unfalsifiability of 'problem-solving capacity' and such
>inb4 multiple intelligences: cf. their lack of validity, or their eventual relationship with g
>inb4 'it doesn't guarantee...'/'it's not perfect': cf. breadth (range) of IQ' protective value
>inb4 what matters is actual success: non-predictive; relate such success to g and find its role in it
>inb4 happiness > intelligence: cf. self-reported happines vs protective role of IQ regarding accidents and diseases & c.
>inb4 you can't define intelligence: cf. external validity of g
>inb4 intelligence is culturally defined: g's correlates are useful transculturally
>inb4 environmental influence: twin/adoption studies, controlling for social status
>inb4 you can practice for tests: doesn't affect the tests' validity
>inb4 even low IQs can always try harder: tautological free will circumvention of nature-nurture discussion
>inb4 it's pointless to discuss it: cf. social implications of its heredity
>inb4 OP is not as intelligent as he/she thinks: irrelevant

Discuss IQ ITT.
>>
What's there to discuss when you've pre-empted all discussion about it m8.
>>
File: an genius.png (32 KB, 560x694) Image search: [Google]
an genius.png
32 KB, 560x694
>>28653140
who else beyond 0.1%?
>>
>>28653342
>the average score is 98.4

>the test doesn't perform its own standardization
>>
>>28653342

154 here. So close. Nice numbers man.
>>
>>28653140
IQ is an arbitrary test made by humans. It does not measure the inherent intelligence present in someones brain, because human beings have no idea how to quantify that. Here is an excercise: prove that IQ tests measure something meaningful. Protip: you cant

Having a high IQ means that you performed well on an arbitrary test.
>>
>>28653432
# of >inb4's violated: 2
>>
85 here. Too simple to be able to make a life for myself. Slow reflexes, too. So I'm content to live with my parents to the rest of my days while collecting NEETbux.

>tfw genetically predetermined for NEETdom

feels justified, man
>>
http://www.iqtest.dk/main.swf take this one and post scores. no cheating you fucking niggers
>>
File: 1461883638992.gif (995 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1461883638992.gif
995 KB, 250x250
>>28653140
>inb4 it's useless 'in itself', '...unless you put it to use': arbitrary separation from its correlates

Just because there's meaningful correlation does mean it's the sole or even most relevant causative factor.

IQ is like measuring the length of your dick but conspicuously leaving out the girth.
>>
IQ is a stupid meme.

When I was 7 my diagnosed IQ was something around 89

I did another test when I was 18 where I scored 105

And then 2 years later again, scoring 121.

So dont take IQ serious.
>>
135 here.

I find it almost unbearable to have to talk to people, they're so fucking stupid.

I can't even begin to imagine how unpleasant it must be for higher IQs.
>>
>>28653508
IQ 'not being perfect', 'not everything', doesn't mean that there's any other factor such as you posit that has a greated life-improving power. For as a matter of fact, there isn't.

# of >inb4's violated: 1
>>
File: dunningkruger.png (175 KB, 694x585) Image search: [Google]
dunningkruger.png
175 KB, 694x585
>>28653342
>taking online IQ-tests serious

Haha, stay classic /r9k/, dunning-kruger is hitting on you again.
>>
>>28653454
It doesnt work like that.

>hurr durr guys lets discuss iq
>inb4 every possible logical argument
>>
>>28653514
This basically falls into the 'you can practice for tests' error. You're arbitrarily positing that non-perfect reliability renders IQ testing 'non-serious'.

>>28653563
>logical
>>
File: 1389789621188.jpg (22 KB, 240x320) Image search: [Google]
1389789621188.jpg
22 KB, 240x320
>>28653547
has our culture of irony spun so far out of control that we can't truly be ironic anymore?
>>
>>28653541
>For as a matter of fact, there isn't.

I don't have a low enough IQ to accept that.
>>
Itt: fedoras enlightened by their own intelligence
>>
>>28653644
Give one that isn't, the way the relevant >inb4 describes, either (1) too narrow (influencing only one realm of life instead of the range that IQ affects), (2) not as potent (only effecting a minor change), (3) tautological ('hurr the most important thing when it comes to achieving things is that you actually get out and do them'), or (4) g under another name ('guise guise it's not about intelligence, it's about MENTAL FLUIDITY', except then someone relates it to IQ and it's basically it).

You can't.
>>
>>28653591

I mean, the longer you browse the board "ironically," the longer it only truly becomes unironic. This board is at the point now where irony is actually taken literal.
>>
>>28653691
>Give one that isn't, the way the relevant >inb4 describes, either (1) too narrow (influencing only one realm of life instead of the range that IQ affects)

Willpower.

You've fallaciously made that one of the things you're not allowed to bring up though, presumably because you're NEET who tested with a high IQ. Sitting around scoring 160s on IQ tests all day is pretty pointless.

Also social intelligence. Essentially your ability to fake it to make it. You can be borderline retarded and successful if you have good people skills.

<3
>>
>>28653819
'Willpower' is a tautology that's scientifically worthless. 'You can do anything if you only apply your willpower lol iqfags btfo'. You are reduced to call pointing this out fallacious because otherwise you'd have to face the causal supremacy of IQ.

'Social intelligence', as also described by the 'happiness > intelligence' >inb4, relies on an arbitrary definition of 'true' success as social success: 'intelligence is not that important when you can be happy/socially successful/...'. You are reduced to arbitrary definitions of success before the predictive relationships of IQ.
>>
>>28653819
You also violated the '...useless in itself' >inb4 that refers to obscuration of its well-established relationships.
>>
>>28653893
(More explicitly, the (tauto)logical form of appeals to willpower is 'you can achieve x if you by definition presuppose the existence of all neurochemical factors in your brain that it will eventually take to achieve x'. It's crap.)
>>
>>28653893
Willpower is scientifically valid.

It correlates with every success that you correlate with IQ, because if you don't use your IQ you will fail. It actually correlates better with success in every field, because high IQ NEETs like you exist.

You will always be happier and have a better life is you have but the willpower to make it good. Nothing correlates as well as willpower does with success and happiness. Not even IQ.
>>
>>28654012
>Willpower is scientifically valid.

No, it's scientifically not even wrong because, as I described in >>28653991, it's literally unfalsifiable. It's not enough for a relationship to be true: a ton of claims are true, but predictively useless.
>>
>>28654036
>>28654012
To be even more explicit, 'you can achieve x if you try to achieve x' teaches absolutely nothing about the world's causality. It's attributing x to x.
>>
>>28654070
>>28654012
...Success can only be meaningfully, falsifiably, related to nature or nuture. Such as IQ, it being partly natural and partly nurtural. Or any other environmental or genetic factor. Except, as I said, IQ trumps every single one of those.
>>
>>28654070
No, it's attributing X to Y (the capacity one has for discomfort and their drive to accomplish). Without the capacity for discomfort and the willpower to succeed, you don't succeed. I'm certainly not saying "if you don't succeed you don't succeed". That would be asinine.

It is a relevant observation. The correlation between one's willingness to do work and success may even trump the correlation between IQ and success, since NEETs like you would skew the results for people with high IQ. <3
>>
>>28653342
>tfw have gotten a perfect math score on every standardized test I've ever taken
>>
>>28653140
>muh intelligints
What does your IQ score actually do for you? It's your abilities and how you use them that matter. It's totally useless to know your IQ except as a dick-measuring contest. Your brains will prove themselves in real-world applications or they won't.

Prove that knowing your IQ does anything to change your life or the world you can't
>>
>>28654714
I'm actually curious if you just ignored the >inb4's or just didn't comprehend them.

>>28654616
You're (possibly intentionally) confusing two things here. Your original error was that you put forward an a-priori-true claim that 'success depends on you personally ensuring that it comes to fruition hurr'. This is logically true, but predictively useless. When I pointed out the insubstantiality of it, you seem to have backpedalled a little and equivocated that the definition of 'effort' you had in mind refers to some sort of neurological tenacity. This is neurological and falsifiable all right -- it's no longer (3) of >>28653691 -- but it's instead its (1) and (2). Merely having a stubborn brain just won't ensure quality of life as well as raw IQ for the simple reason that you won't be able to imagine eventualities which to realize, prevent, ... . Stubbornness enough is not enough. So you're still incorrect.
>>
>>28654810
>Stubbornness enough
*Stubbornness itself
>>
>>28654810
>I'm actually curious if you just ignored the >inb4's or just didn't comprehend them.

Oh, I comprehended them. You didn't. They don't address what I asked despite your pathetic assumption that you covered all the bases, and not only that, none of them matter.

What I asked was "What good does it do you to know?" That's not covered in your faggy little "no backsies" guidelines for how we're allowed to talk to you.

This is what you sound like:

Creationism thread.
>inb4 scientific consensus
>inb4 fossil record
>inb4 observed in lab
>inb4 "prove the Bible is true"
>>
itt:
>brainlet: iq scores are useless
>autist: hurr durr says the brainlet xD

>autist: iq scores can decipher a lot
>brainlet: hurr but where's muh real world application? iq no use when working for shecklesberg
>>
>>28654893
What IQ does for one? Improves health, prolongs life, makes wealthier, more knowledgeable, have more memories, waste less time, reduces accidents, makes master instruments, programming languages, games, better artist, ... ... ... suit yourself.

Note that I'm not going to hold your hand through your '...but there are exceptions!' and other things I '>no backsies'd'.

What good does knowing your IQ do? Now this is the kind of valid question beyond the stuff I >inb4'd that I'm happy to think about and answer, because it's new. Well, it can make you interested in the topic and hopefully a proponent of eugenic measures to the effect of reducing the society's suffering as results from stupidity. It can make you more responsible, making you realize your distance from the average and thus your potential. Besides, it's just a dimension of yourself. Why not just know yourself?
>>
>>28654993
>What IQ does for one? Improves health, prolongs life, makes wealthier, more knowledgeable, have more memories, waste less time, reduces accidents, makes master instruments, programming languages, games, better artist, ... ... ... suit yourself.

>Note that I'm not going to hold your hand through your '...but there are exceptions!' and other things I '>no backsies'd'.

I said what does KNOWING IT do. Please use your big, fat brain to read the very simple sentences that I wrote. Answering a question that I did not ask and then trying to make it appear as if I would ask a stupid question like "dur hur wut duz bein smurt 4?" makes YOU look stupid, not me.

> it can make you interested in the topic
Why is it good to be interested in the topic?

>a proponent of eugenic measures to the effect of reducing the society's suffering as results from stupidity.

Is that how it works? do higher IQ societies suffer less? Does IQ-based eugenics result in higher-IQ societies? How do you know these things?

>It can make you more responsible, making you realize your distance from the average and thus your potential.

And what does that do to change the way that you live?

>Besides, it's just a dimension of yourself. Why not just know yourself?

Knowing yourself is great. Why tell others? Isn't it a bit like posting photos of your big bank account or bragging about cock size?
>>
>>28655103
>I said what does KNOWING IT do. Please use your big, fat brain to read the very simple sentences that I wrote. Answering a question that I did not ask and then trying to make it appear as if I would ask a stupid question like "dur hur wut duz bein smurt 4?" makes YOU look stupid, not me.

You said BOTH. From >>28654714:

Your (grammatically imperative) question regarding *knowing* your IQ: 'Prove that knowing your IQ does anything to change your life or the world'.

Your question regarding *IQ's* consequences: 'What does your IQ score actually do for you?'.

I don't like to say this, but please have a stronger grasp on the discussion.
>>
>>28653140
>wasting your IQ on inb4 greentext maymay wall in your OP

This is just proof of [IQ =/= Intelligent]

This thread is also meaningless proving that you're not wise either.
>>
>>28655140
Sorry, genius, you just can't read.

>'What does your IQ score actually do for you?'

=/=

"what does being intelligent actually do for you?"

You failed to separate the concept of intelligence from the grading, measuring and scoring thereof. I asked about "IQ score," not about "intelligence." Just because you can't tell them apart doesn't mean you get to talk down to your mental superiors. In fact, it's kind of bratty.
>>
I got IQ tested back in elementary school (kindergarten?) and iirc I came out as either 117 or 127

Which sounds bullshit imo but then I never put much stock in it
>>
>IQ bragging
To what end? Do you think they're going to write on your gravestone "Had potential"?
>>
>>28655140
>>28655103
Now to the rest of your points.

For the obvious thing first... hostilely asking a flurry of unrelated (valid, but unrelated) questions only so to implant in less careful readers the impression that your interlocutor should have anticipated and answered them, in hope of derailing the thread, isn't going to be very effective. Now...

I'm not very interested in debates such as whether knowledge is intrinsically good.

Yes, higher IQ comes with less suffering except possibly, the way I >inb4'd, self-reported happiness (where stupid people might rank their lives better than smart people), which in practice is quickly revealed dishonest because no parent would wish their children to have a disease-, crime- and poverty- riddled existence as soon as the children were to at some time declare that they're having a wonderful life.

No, eugenics has not so far resulted in higher IQ societies because it hasn't so far been implemented. WTF.

Making you realize your uniqueness can remind you you're one of the few people capable of solving certain problems.

Regarding telling others, yes, outside of benefits I described already, bragging about wealth or penis length is a plausible way to provoke other people's ambition to earn more or devise penile surgeries, which is a good thing.

>>28655191
'What does your IQ score do?' != 'What does knowing your IQ score do?'. I'm sorry to see that you've been reduced to shitposting to disrupt this thread. It's nothing new, though.
>>
>>28653691

Being an Ashkenazi Jew.
Because Ashkenazi Jews have the largest average IQ for a group, and their culture and values which are placed on literacy, education and community.

Being Ashkenazi encompasses more than just IQ
>>
>>28655290
TL;DR

Stopped reading here:

>I'm not very interested in debates such as whether knowledge is intrinsically good.

I wasn't within 100 miles of asking that.

Please develop some basic reading comprehension, Einstein. Your arguments are all loaded with confirmation bias and strawmen.

You're a simpleton who took a free online IQ test designed to get you to spend money on the full version and you think you're smart, but those of us with real brains can tell that you're a dull and sad boy who lacks the smarts to realize when he's substituting his emotional tantrums for factual discussion and critical thinking.

Just another IQ thread on 4chan, though! I really am the fool for replying to you this many times.
>>
>>28655174
This is an implicitly-phrased suggestion that 'true intelligence is knowing when to do wise things, such as [please note this phrase, 'such as'] knowing when to stop replying and what to post in every situation', which is logically just 'true intelligence is always knowing what

>>28655363
You literally asked 'Why is it good to be interested in the topic [of one's IQ]?'. I'm sorry, but I can't afford more time to your disruption when there are interesting posts such as >>28655307 to think about.
>>
File: 1459682559404.jpg (35 KB, 460x345) Image search: [Google]
1459682559404.jpg
35 KB, 460x345
>>28655140
>'What does your IQ score actually do for you?'.
An IQ score is a measure, asking what it does for you is obviously a question about what the score itself does. It's clearly not a question about what your intelligence can do especially given the context in which he said it.
>>
>>28655391
...Shit, forgot to finish the sentence.

>>28655174
This is an implicitly-phrased suggestion that 'true intelligence is knowing when to do wise things, such as [please note this phrase, 'such as'] knowing when to stop replying and what to post in every situation', which is logically just 'true intelligence is always knowing what rightly to do'. Which is 50% practically undefinable and 50% (considering the most likely operationalizations of it) going to turn out just IQ in disguise.
>>
>>28653342
Took legit IQ test for my diagnosis: 147.
Also a massive sperg who gets anxious about everything and has OCD, so it essentially doesn't matter. Fuck my life.
>>
>>28653140
what mental cognition skills does IQ really enhance...? computational ability...? maybe if it was something like dynamic and creative thinking. Einstein is a mary sue example which does not inherently apply to all people with high IQ that lack inspiration or creativity. You are probably also not the next terrence tao either.
>>
>>28655431
>50% practically undefinable and 50% (considering the most likely operationalizations of it) going to turn out just IQ in disguise.

Even more memes.

I only give credit to people who utilize their intelligence correctly.
>>
>Mensan IQ from Mensan IQ family
>always want to do stuff
>always prefer to do things intensely and until I grasp it extensively
>everyone else literally wants to be as retarded as possible
>they think in a "well the world is completely broken I'll just break it further" instead of taking responsibility for anything and making things better
>their emotions are dull as shit, won't get upset if someone just completely fucks them over, see it as just a flaw in the system
>if they "like" something, they just... enjoy it rarely, don't even try and pursue anything
>super fucking judgemental about appearances, being a ginger is worse than being a 600lb giganigger fresh out of prison
>all of them love ganging up on anyone who shows weakness
>have to pretend to be happy and dumb every fucking moment of every day or they hate you and will sabotage you
>rich people literally think they're better and will think you're retarded if you're poor
>authority can't give two fucks about a broken system, as long as they have a job they'd burn your house down if a smiling merchant asked
I really hate normies.
>>
>>28655468
Not sure either. The tests are based on pattern recognition, so probably something about being able to notice them, which likely helps in scientific and logical thinking. I happen to be overly logical due to my sperg ways, so I get very inflexible with someone who I feel is acting based on emotion or otherwise irrationally.
>>
>Be black
>Have high enough IQ to see the problem with other black people
>IQ still too low to fit in with anyone else.
>>
>>28655515
You sound like a ginger fruit.
>>
File: 1460721439035.png (282 KB, 796x712) Image search: [Google]
1460721439035.png
282 KB, 796x712
tfw white and 82iq
>>
>>28653140
OP can't inb4
I want all newfags to leave
>>
>>28655307
My loose thoughts.

Their placing value on education is largely *a result* of their IQ.

(There is a correlation between IQ and good education/family habits of reading and learning, but the child wouldn't have made use of the opportunty to read books had they not inherited their intelligence from their parents (who, incidentally, show them to the kind). Education/presence of reading and writing aren't causal here. Think of it as a left-handed couple vs their choice of furniture as a result: their child wasn't made left-handed because they have since birth been using left-handed items, even though there is a correlation. I'm not sure this is related, but thought I'd post anyway.)

And, this might just be conceding my point. You had to no less than add extra factors to IQ to surpass it in utility.

>>28655515
I cannot relate personally, but I'm glad if my original post made a welcoming impression for you.
>>
>>28653319
>What's there to discuss when you've pre-empted all discussion about it m8.
what all geniuses strive for: braindead circle jerking
>>
>>28655884
>>28655307
And insofar as the Jewish IQ is lower than any arbitrary IQ cut-off we're otherwise discussing, I'm doubtful about environment's capacity to supplant it. Insofar as we've managed to leave appeals to free will and willpower, 'you can learn anything if you dedicate yourself to it', behind, education really has its practical limitations. You can't teach a person to involuntarily memorize faces, facts, remember stuff accurately, have novel ideas such as, off the top of my head, to try to navigate a computer menu for the first time with pressing A..Z letters rather than with arrow keys.
>>
>>28655713
Kudos for relating visual pattern recognition to conceptual pattern recognition, anon. Yes, generalizing a physical law, abstracting a math concept or a phonetic change in language... it's basically the same brain function as matrix tests measure.
>>
>>28655932
If your definition of 'genius' is 'dedicating their efforts to the right thing', please suggest a test for it (>inb4 you can't; you by necessity have some criteria for it, for identification of genius around you, otherwise you would be unable to use the word), and then have that test surpass IQ in predictive power.
>>
>>28653432
>Here is an excercise: prove that IQ tests measure something meaningful

Read the bell curve (or really any mainstream research study re: iq).

Incredibly high correlation with educational attainment, income, likelyhood of getting pregnant as a teenager, of being a single mother, of committing a bevy of crimes- it ties into so many different aspects of our lives in such a huge way.

The studies have been replicated countless times- I don't think you really understand how IQ works.
>>
>>28653514
You know IQ can change as you age right?

IQ is measured against different age brackets and it can shift throughout one's life.
>>
>>28656403
I wanted to ironically shitreply to this post, satirizing an average IQ detractor, but I was so impressed by the word 'bevy', I just want to thank you for teaching me it.
>>
>>28656416
That's not really a good way to put it. IQ is simply the value around which your scores cluster as you take various tests.
>>
File: REEEEEEEEE.jpg (146 KB, 980x840) Image search: [Google]
REEEEEEEEE.jpg
146 KB, 980x840
>tfw I haven't taken one of these meme tests
>tfw I don't need to since I'm proud of my academic achievements and don't need something to make me feel good about myself
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.