[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who here's isolated by their intelligence/desire to learn?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5
File: lhc_long_1.jpg (71 KB, 800x411) Image search: [Google]
lhc_long_1.jpg
71 KB, 800x411
Who here's isolated by their intelligence/desire to learn?

Now before you all start your fedora tipping memes, I don't think I'm some genius, but I won't be glib at the fact that I'm smart, and it's always led to me being unable to relate to my friends.

I would like science, they would like superhero movies. I paid attention in physics, they'd fuck about. I'd try to talk to them about something like the LHC, they'd get bored and want to talk about WoW or drugs.

I fucking tried for years to like the same stuff. I saw the boring movies, I played the redundant games, but I could just never relate. The joy I got every time a new discovery was made in physics or chemistry was comparable to them finding out Spiderman was in the new Captain America movie. I just felt like they cared more about an easy life than one where you can learn and better yourself intellectually. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's not one that I could relate to.

That was high school. I'm 18 now, moving into electrical engineering at college next year... who knows, might meet people more on my level.
>>
You should be majoring in a pure science, no one in engineering gives a fuck about anything besides making money
>>
>>28623323
for my whole life I've always considered the assimilation of intelligence as one of the highest purposes and learning made me so happy. I am sure you'll meet more like-minded people in your university as it helps to filter out the idiots
>>
>>28623323
>I'm 18 now

stopped reading... but the damage had already been done
>>
>might meet people more on my level

I'm sorry op but you have the intj mental illness. There is no cure.
>>
Finished my first year as an EE. Can confirm that most people here are normies and will never change.
>>
You think it gets any easier? You think for one fucking second you're going to be able to shy away from having to take part in the complicated game of socialization programmed in pretty much everybody's head for survival? You're deluded, your youth shows, and you better realize all your "self-respect" and "standards" does is make you too good to have friends

You'll learn to get better at liking that crap. Find reading materiel for emotional intelligence, body language/people reading, and socialization. I'd touch up on neuroscience too but that's just me and my creepy anatomical fixation
>>
>>28623323

> I'm like sooo into science everyone around me isn't on my level I'm going to study electrical engineering because I'm smarter than everybody else and people who don't constantly talk about pseudo-intellectual crap are just stupid sheeple

Newsflash kiddo, people have other interests other than studying - people also are into fitness, art, music, movies, politics ect - don't be such an insuffable autist by constantly talking about science/math.

And by the way, Engineering students only care about getting through uni to make serious money, not to talk about the fucking boring shit they are studying
>>
>>28623323
I was a child prodigy and taught myself how to read and write from comic books by the time I was two. They tested the hell out of my IQ and aptitude and I was rated at four sigmas. Despite (or perhaps because) of this, I graduated highschool with a 42% average and never finished college.

I've found throughout my life that it really didn't matter what the subject matter was, I always saw things differently than everyone else. I'm probably somewhere on the autistic spectrum, but even there I defy expectation; I'm highly intuitive, hate any kind of order or schedule, and don't have any stereotyped behaviours. Even among outcasts I usually find myself the outcast.
>>
File: images (6).jpg (5 KB, 236x213) Image search: [Google]
images (6).jpg
5 KB, 236x213
>>28623323
This better be bait.
Tipping is off the charts anon, right down to the pretentious "they all liked pop culture while I intelligently studied!!" thinking and failed attempt at sounding mature. You can like science and engineering and still enjoy a fucking movie. There's a difference between being introverted and not fitting in with the mainstream crowd, and just being an insufferable boring cunt who tries to justify how completely unlikable he is by thinking its because everyone is too """dumb""" to get him.

Get yourself an autism diagnosis
>>
>>28623949
What prevented you from realising acting in a socially constructed manner could get you everything you wanted, even if you didn't know what it could be yet? That all you had to do was act in stereotyped ways to behaviors and you would get everything you needed? A 300 horsepower engine not hooked to anything is just a thing that chugs gasoline and shits poison gas and noise. Why did you allow yourself to go to waste?
>>
>>28624079
i know the plight. movies are fucking shit and boring people who constnatly consume media (games, movies, tv shows) are the most vapid mf to inhabit this earth. usuallly they'll make references to te movies and stuff that you won't get it and it's completley distasteful to do that in a social setting. it's like using inside jokes constantly around someone who doesn't get the fucking joke. what'sthe point?
>>
>>28624204
Why? What makes you think living my life the way I wanted to live it was a waste? I've done some pretty interesting things. My life has been lonely and hard, but it hasn't been dull. I saw the yawning existential Abyss waiting at the end of every life and decided that if I had to spend the coin of my life, I'd spend it on things which challenged me in ways which kept me growing and changing.

I'd have preferred if I'd had more company along the way, but I've come to understand that freedom is terrifying to most people, and that our culture is constructed for the explicit purpose of shielding people from the reality of that howling black Void at the end of things. Me, I prefer to live in truth, even when the truth is hard and painful. Especially when it's hard and painful.
>>
>>28623323
All the intellectuals are actually more extroverted chads. Nothing changes, it's high school 2.0
>>
>>28624322

If you truly are happy, who am I to judge? My lack of innate personal and emotional skill abd the growingly strained interactions with my peers spurred me to think my own path of growth and challenge was down that way, but I wonder if I would've gone that way if I even knew people could be decoded from a chance piece of 4chan info. Without the internet giving me that hope I might have turned out an intellectual singularity in a singular existence
>>
I don't have any social and emotional skill and I still have no friends, it gets boring

but a thing ive been working on is just opening myself up to other people rather than sitting on what I thought was worthy of love or interest

seriously it works I'm about 6 months in, my mom now respects me
>>
>>28624629
any skill issues*
>>
File: pretentious-dial[1].jpg (40 KB, 615x409) Image search: [Google]
pretentious-dial[1].jpg
40 KB, 615x409
>>28624322
>the yawning existential Abyss waiting at the end of every life
>that howling black Void at the end of things
>>
File: mylife.jpg (45 KB, 425x281) Image search: [Google]
mylife.jpg
45 KB, 425x281
>>28624542
Happy? No. I'm one of the least happy people I've ever known. Someone on /b/ posted a link to some life-quality survey and I had the lowest rating of anyone on /b/ at 1.8/10. (See pic.) But I happen to think happiness is overrated. If all you want is to be happy, take drugs. There are plenty of chemical paths to bliss, both legal and illegal. I wanted something more from life. I was born with broad mental shoulders, and I took that to mean I was intended for greater burdens to carry. Life, after all, is a test to destruction. You keep taking on greater and greater burdens until your flesh breaks and you die.
>>
>>28623323
dont mind me just using this so i can save this picture to my phone and go over and shitpost on /v/
>>
>>28623323
>>28623323
>Who here's isolated by their intelligence
*tips fedora*
>>
>>28623323
You realize that it's possible to like multiple types of things, yeah? I know you're not trying to, but your inner fedora is showing.

You just don't like popular things, and that alienates you. Butt then you try attribute this alienation to some aspect of you that's superior to everyone else, one step shy of "they're just jealous", all in an effort to not let your felling of being different affect your self-esteem. But ironically, the only way you could avoid feeling as if you were inferior is by convincing yourself that everyone else is inferior.

It's possible to like science and superhero movies. You can care about a subject in school and also fuck about because you're a chucklefuck.

Recently, my friend and I smoked some weed, started writing music, and discussed the merits of Positivism. Then we wrote a poem in Latin and played some GTA. But that doesn't make us superior. We're stoners with little ambition, he lacks the drive to make a lot of friends and I'm awkward/autistic as hell. I also know people about as smart as we are who don't have those problems, they had plenty of friends but also liked to learn, they're gonna go off and do big shit. At best I can actually be in a position where I can direct film full-time and find a chick who's willing to see past/wants to share in my bullshit.

But I got sidetracked. tl;dr just because you're smart and alienated doesn't mean that you're better than anyone, or that what you like is better than what others like.
>>
>>28624669

You are not nearly as smart as you think, for all your intelligence. A true shame
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.