[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else sick of how people on the internet now seriously
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: 1343639237699.jpg (152 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1343639237699.jpg
152 KB, 1280x720
Anyone else sick of how people on the internet now seriously believe
"Why x is y?"
is correct syntax for a question?

It's such a fucking Eastern European mistake, but it's EVERYWHERE now.
>>
I a niggie dialect that caught on among white people for some reason.

And I think people generally say "why x BE y?"

I though it was only used in memes, but I actually hear people, mostly teenagers, speaking like that
>>
>>28622695
It's a niggie dialect*
>>
>>28622648

It really doesn't matter that it isn't "correct." Language is a living thing and if the users of a language like something then it'll stay in and propagate. Right or wrong has nothing to do with it.
>>
>>28622648
Kids pretty much speak in memes these days.
>running through the park
>some kids walking there
>run past them
>they see my shoes
"WHAT ARE THOSE?!"
>>
>upset about people on the internet
This is why Chad always wins. He will never in his life be upset about people on the internet.
>>
>>28622728
Yes it does. Stupid people form the majority of language users but that doesn't mean they should be in charge of it.
>>
>>28622742
Now I don't care about the ebonics thing in the op, it doesn't matter that much to me. But the fact that memes seem to be the only thing these kids think about pisses me off
>>
>>28622648
i feel like its correct if its a statement but incorrect if its a question. i dunno.
>>
>>28622728
tell that to my fucking english professor broski
>>
>>28622863
Yes, that is correct.

"Why x is y:" a statement preceding an explanation of why x = y

"Why is x y?" a question
>>
File: MARCUS-AURELIUS.jpg (321 KB, 2000x1000) Image search: [Google]
MARCUS-AURELIUS.jpg
321 KB, 2000x1000
>>28622751
>>28622885

I'm not telling you that's how it """should""" be, I'm telling you that's how it is. Usage determining language is a function of power, not preference, rationality or truth. English as a whole is proof of that. It doesn't matter that you don't think they should be in charge, they are. We all are. And if the majority moves, you'll get pulled along with it.

I advise you learn to enjoy the ride, because after thousands and thousands of years of it working this way, I don't think it will change because of you.
>>
>>28622901
its pretty good when you're right. i don't know why people don't endeavour to be more right instead of spewing trash 98% of the time.

thanks for the (You), space cowboy
>>
>>28623017
yes, well...i wouldn't get far in english class either.

let's have a toast to me, change and your ignorance!
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.