[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
18 y/o anon here. How do I make it clear to my parents that I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 9
File: 1463117239286.jpg (143 KB, 800x857) Image search: [Google]
1463117239286.jpg
143 KB, 800x857
18 y/o anon here. How do I make it clear to my parents that I am not going to prom? I told them no, and they acted like I shot a baby. I don't want to go to that shit show, it's going to be boring and I'll probably make an autist out of myself. My sister set me up with some 1/10 autistic bitch who makes me wanna commit murder. I said yes just so that my dumb ass sister would stop pestering me to go to the shitty prom. I have a friend with a gf who isn't even going for the same reason, it's going to suck ass. Should I just disappear the night it happens? I don't even know when it is.
>>
Do not tell your parents when the prom will start.

The very next day, tell them you forgot.

However your sister might jeopardise this plan
>>
ditch the bitch, dont go to prom. whats the worst that can happen?
>>
you have to learn how to make your 'no's mean 'no'
tell them 'i'm not going' and then don't go
you don't need advice or some advanced strategy to convince them, just tell them you're not going
>>
>>28615663
>tfw I don't even know when the prom is because I don't have normiebook and don't communicate with my classmates

I know my mum will be upset if I don't go though
>>
>>28615663
just show up get your picture taken with bessy and leave. you can put up with 20 minutes of bs to make your parents happy anon.
>>
My parents just didn't give a single shit, it was my classmates who tried to pressure me into going to that shitty event but eventually didn't go as I planned it.
>>
tell them that you arent here to please them, it will be a very uncomfortable scenario for you and you just dont want to have a bad time, just because they wanna see you going.
>>
You should go anyway. I never went to mine and I'm kind of upset about it. It would be fun to go even if it's shitty, just to see some people from your class looking their best before you graduate and never see them again.
A lot of my friends didn't go and I didn't have a date. Now I kind of wish I just asked some qt underclass girl so I could have had the experience.
>>
No one gave a shit whether or not I went, and I'm glad it went that way. I didn't even know when it was going to happen. I feel sorry for you, Op. Tell your parents to drop you off hella early. Bring a change of clothes, and when your parents leave, change your clothes and leave. If you live in a city, you can take the bus wherever you want. If youlive in the country, just take a walk wherever. Just take the night off and come home at like 12:00 and act like you actually went.
>>
>tfw prom was 7 years ago
>tfw was disappointed that I didn't go; I was new in the country
>tfw was convinced that things would get better in college
>tfw trying to find an easy way to an hero.
>>
Don't go there OP, fuck your parents. No one will ever remember their prom after 5 years. Hell I would be amazed if you would remember it in 2 years if you would go. Just fuck it and have a good night. Go to some bar and get hammered instead of this bullshit.
>>
>>28616085
>fuck your parents
I'll resist the urge to shitpost and tell OP to do that
>>
>>28615663
Go to prom. It's the greatest night of your young life
>>
>>28616238
Everyone says this, but they don't say why. So tell me, why is it "the greatest night of my young life?"
>>
>>28616330
It's a waste of time for anyone who isn't Chad or Stacy. Don't bother.
>>
File: 1460079704772.jpg (379 KB, 2197x1463) Image search: [Google]
1460079704772.jpg
379 KB, 2197x1463
>>28615839
If OPs prom is anything like mine, then there will be a rule that you cannot leave the prom after you get past the security checkpoint until the whole thing is over.
>>
>>28616330
If you're a virgin, you're expected to pop your cherry by then, else you'll never recover.

If not, it's like the last parent-approved night of debauchery that you'll ever have.
>>
>>28616330
It's sheer joy. Can't describe it. The end of your school time the last night before adulthood. One last time with your friends. You will never be again as fearless as that night.
Everybody who doesn't want to go just can't dance/doesn't have a girl. Learning the basic dances takes less than an hour. And think about it: Every woman wants to prom not every women gets asked. My promdate wasn't toptier but it was a great night. Enjoy yourself, take it easy. You will remember it for the rest of your life. If you miss this experience to stay in your comfort zone that night you will never forgive yourself that once the night is over
>>
>>28616568
You basically just said "just go" but in a very long way. I'm agreeing with this guy >>28616374
>>
>>28616784
I was asked why it's great so obv my response was to praise it.
And no it's great all around
>>
File: laid back.jpg (8 KB, 209x200) Image search: [Google]
laid back.jpg
8 KB, 209x200
>prom date got grounded
>went stag anyway
>felt shitty but didn't let myself have a bad time, "danced" to the shitty songs and had an OK time
>later got shitfaced at an afterparty, was pretty fun
It's probably not worth the money, but if you don't go you'll feel like a loser. At least go to an afterparty or something
>>
Here's a story from my prom, maybe it inspires you to go.

>not really excited for prom, planning not to go
>a few mates suddenly tell me that they're all planning to go solo and that I should go with them
>eh fuck it, why not?
>we all end up fucking wasted, great banter all night
>while outside for a smoke I bump into a qt from some of my classes
>she'd recently got a new boyfriend after breaking up with her previous one, and I'd been orbiting her for almost a whole year now
>she's unusually flirty, despite her prom date being there and with her
>we end up making out on the dancefloor
>later in the summer holidays we started dating
>end the night walking around my village with my best mate for a few hours, just chatting

go man, magic can happen. get a nice suit on and just chill with your buddies, maybe get lucky.
>>
>>28615663
>1/10 autistic bitch
post pics, thats my fetish
>>
>>28616568
Jesus, fucking normies invading this board.
>One last time with your friends
What friends?
>You will never be again as fearless as that night.
What fearlessness? I was crippled by anxiety even by then. I wasn't a normie like you.
>>
Prom was kind of fun but there's really nothing special about it. It's just another dance/party. It doesn't give you that "closing off high school" feeling, either.

What have me that was the last couples weeks, with our schedules slowly shrinking, until I had 1 class left. Walking those deserted halls while everyone else was in class, knowing that this was really the end, is what have me that feeling. Prom was just a fun but empty formality.
>>
>>28615663
i didn't have a date for my formal, wasn't even a "requirement" at my school really, just went with friends like half the other people there and chilled for a couple hours then went home. if you don't even have friends to go with then don't bother desu, it will be boring and awkward.
>>
File: image.jpg.jpg (55 KB, 600x696) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg.jpg
55 KB, 600x696
>>28615663
what's important here is stepping out of your comfort zone not whether you'll have a good time. although by the sound of you're post you've never left your comfy nest and your parents are sick of you being a disappointing loser. i know you won't take my advice because it's uncomfortable and you will convince yourself in any way possible in order to remain comfy. trust me when i say comfy does not lead down a good road. in ten years you will feel so jarred, so uninspired. you will become nothing and aspire to nothing. you will not have any dreams to chase after and you will have permanently cemented yourself into a fear based way of thinking. you will forever be running away from life instead of chasing after it, only to run back to something that leaves you feeling hollow. anyway all lecturing aside i'll share my formal night for shits and giggles:
>be me 17 big formal coming up
>too lazy to pursue girls in new town i moved to
>best friend sets me up with his dates best friend
>meet her once for lunch and she is 8/10 looks 3/10 personality
>make lame joke something like "at least you're not a psycho"
>she glares and it gets awkward so i just flirt
>fast forward 2 months to the formal
>haven't talked to her at all and it doesn't matter cause it's like her 3rd formal and i know bitches just like to go to formals
>quick facebook night before and she send me dress pics
>parents drive us to formal (worst part of the night)
>asking her questions they expect me to have any kind of relationship with this bitch
>dad keeps glancing in the mirror at her huge rack
>get to formal in time for dinner and i take her to sit with all my buddies and their girls
>now my mates are rough as guts and say whatever comes to mind
>she's not enjoying us ratingthe girls and my friends keep commenting on her rack
>she leaves with my friends date to go get drunk at the bar
>doesn't invite me but i can't go anyway because i'm not 18
>feel emasculated for the first time that night
>>
>>28615663
Buy a padlock, and put it on your door for the night so they can't force you to go
>>
desu, i forgot prom was on saturday...

oh well, didn't really care in the first place. i'm too busy being autistic and finding the best way to be an hero
>>
I don't understand why normies are so big on prom. I hate them all desu.
I'm gonna be lifting this Saturday anyways
>>
>>28617870
to expand, i hardly know anyone in my own school. going to a random party with random people isn't a thing on my bucket list.

besides, after hearing the complaints from my classmates, i think our senior classes prom wasn't exactly to die for...
>>
>>28616396
where the fuck did you go to school? that sure as fuck wouldn't fly where I live 'cause of safety/health reasons.

what many will do though, is not let you back in, if you do decide to leave. it's to stop kids from going out to their car to get wasted or whatever
>>
>>28616407
What?

>>28615786
I don't really regret going to prom, but I regret not having prom pictures for my mom to hold onto. I feel bad because it would be awkward to ask a qt to dress up with me and take prom pictures to make up for it, even though I really want to. Hopefully I end up finding someone else who didn't go to prom, or doesn't think that's weird.

I agree with these mostly
>>28615996
>>28617155
>>
File: wow a meme.jpg (60 KB, 962x716) Image search: [Google]
wow a meme.jpg
60 KB, 962x716
>mfw we have no proms in my country
saved me enough spaghetti to create my own Italy from scratch TbH
>>
>>28618044
Maybe I mixed up some of the rules, I didn't even go so that is possible.
>>
Fuck prom simply 'cause of how expensive it is. Mine was $50, and I've heard that's on the cheaper end. I've talked to folks who dropped $100+ on tickets, and another $100-200 on dress clothes.

Even if everything for me was $100 total, that'd have been able to buy almost 3 ounces of brick weed. Besides, the only way our prom differed from normal dances, is they had a spaghetti dinner & held it in a small event center that was dozens of miles away
>>
>>28618279
Mine cost about 90 for the ticket, but it was at the Gaylord so it was pretty high class.
>>
>>28618363
I could kind of see the appeal if they actually had it be high-class. Even at $50, it should've been more like $30. From the pictures I saw, the event center was ~1/2 the size of our gymnasium and they had the same DJ (a father of one of the students) that they have perform at the plain dances, that only cost $3-5
>>
File: 1425672853424.jpg (117 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1425672853424.jpg
117 KB, 1280x720
didn't go to my prom either, or get a class ring or get my senior yearbook photo taken
I pissed my mom off so fucking bad that year, but six years later I still don't regret not doing those things
>>
>>28617340
Bruh, I'm not going because nobody I know is going and I'm not going with an autist. Not because of this "comfy" meme.
>>
>>28617019
He probably doesn't have freaking buddies. That is probably one of the main reasons as to why he doesn't want to go.
>>
I told my parents I didn't want to go to homecoming as a freshman, I hadn't made too many friends by that point and I was mortified of girls. I told them at dinner, and my father got up and started choking me and hitting me in the face and yelling YOU WILL BE NORMAL
*smack*
YOU WILL BE NORMAL
*smack*
YOU WILL BE NORMAL!!!!

I cried myself to sleep that night, i'll never forget it as long as i live

My mother dropped my off and told me that I could call her when I had a homecoming date and she would pick me up, but that otherwise I wasn't welcome home ever again.

Around 8 pm, I started to realize she wasn't fucking kidding around. I slept under the bleachers that night, crying the ENTIRE fucking night from the cold. and i crawled out of the bleachers the next morning and went to school.

I asked the first girl i saw to homecoming and she said yes. I went home and ate for the first time in a day and a half.
>>
why would you ever mention it in the first place? i never said shit but my mom somehow found out and asked i said no because i would have to pay money to go stand around looking like a dick and to not do any drugs (didn't say the drug part to her) and that was it. also wasn't going to buy/rent nice clothes to stand around and look at people i hate.
>>
>>28619539
I didn't mention shit, they randomly asked me who I'm taking to prom one day.
>>28619499
That's really ironic of your dad cuz he does not sound like a normal man.
>>
>>28619499
>gets up and starts choking me
that sounds like some simpsons shit
>>
>>28615663
My mom was a cheerleader, think how she felt knowing her baby boy is a robot.
>>
>>28620196
that's sad. she clearly knew what needed to happen to fuck whores but i'm assuming she didn't help you with that and gave you the bee urself nice guy bullshit.
>>
File: 1463450422167.gif (1 MB, 300x338) Image search: [Google]
1463450422167.gif
1 MB, 300x338
>>28620196
id like to here more details desu
>>
>>28615663
>How do I make it clear to my parents that I am not going to prom?

You're an adult, you make your own decisions. You don't owe them shit as to an explanation.

If you don't have a date, don't go to prom. Simple as that.
>>
>>28615663

You're very close to where you need to be mentally, anon, but you have a sister who is frustrating your resolve.

Based conditionally upon what you've said, here are some facts, together with some reasonable assumptions. For the record, I'm past 30 so I actually know just a bit more about the world's routines. It's not being smarter, just a bit older. Now, the facts and assumptions.

Prom culture is a thing for you and your family right now. This makes it reasonable to assume that you are an American, and probably an American citizen. Moreover, you are a legal adult, at age 18. Here's a fact. You can literally do whatever the fuck you want with your life as of right now, and nobody can make you do otherwise unless they have some kind of leverage on you - a guy who is physically bigger than you can bounce you from a bar, a loved one can put some other kind of leverage on you. Prom is not a mandatory event.

Basically, short of mom and dad physically overpowering you and thrusting you into the arena (where you could just escape through a back exit anyway seconds later), absolutely no one on this earth can make you go to a non-mandatory social function that you absolutely do not want to go to. All that your parents have left, then, is social (soft) and/or financial (harder) leverage over you. I include the right to continue to live with them, which they extend you as a favor as of right now, as part of the "financial" leverage that they hold over you.

cont.
>>
>>28621240

I would like to add two things to what I've written so far. 1) I didn't go to prom, and have personally never regretted not doing so. Not one time. It's a big claim, because it /is/ true that one normally regrets what one doesn't do, more than what one does do. I have things I haven't done which I regret not having done. Prom has never been one of them. I stayed home with bideo I think that very night, six blocks away. I want to say I was having a stimulating round of Final Fantasy Tactics that night, but I'm not sure. I do remember a sense of feeling actively good about myself that I wasn't there though.

2) You may have turbo-normie parents, OP, with sometimes stupid/fucked up priorities, but even they probably do really love you. I'm not going to segue this into some back-handed defense of prom (because they want you to be normie as well); rather, I'm suggesting something to you that you can use against them. If they really love you, then they will recognize that there are more important things in life. If their priorities aren't totally stupid, they'll get over you not going to prom, when you succeed in not going to prom (you will). If they're not stupid people, they don't parlay something that petty into affecting things that actually matter (relative to a school dance anyway, since nothing matters in the long view), such as your postsecondary education, whatever it may be, and helping to keep you out of trouble.
>>
I feel like if you really didn't want to go you would have said no and left it at that.

Deep down you know you want to go. Admit it.
>>
File: 1438681882722.jpg (18 KB, 230x230) Image search: [Google]
1438681882722.jpg
18 KB, 230x230
>>28615663
My school's prom was last Saturday. Parents were out for the weekend. Just stayed home and got fucking blasted for the first time. Couldn't walk for like a half hour. inb4 dude weed lmao.

You don't have to go to the stupid fucking dance with all those idiots you hate and will never see again anyway. You can make it special in your own way.
>>
>>28621480
I said no but they keep insisting I go with the downie. Basically, I say "No, I'm not going" and they just go "WHAT?! Of course your going!"
>>
>>28622161
they're still in denial. Once mine's got past that stage, they just felt sorry for me. Kind of embarrassed to have had me. Yeah on second thought it sucks. I just don't think about what they think of me much.
>>
If you really can't face them directly about it, just pretend that you're sick.
>>
My prom was last week and I couldn't afford the ticket I fucking hate my life
>>
>>28615663
OP, here's what you do. You go to prom- hear me out- with a bottle of the strongest booze you can get your hands on.

You drink all of it. ALL OF IT.

You get drunk as fuck and make an ass of yourself.

The rest should be self-explanatory.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.