[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Work dread thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 3
File: fuuuuuuuuuck.jpg (44 KB, 1348x758) Image search: [Google]
fuuuuuuuuuck.jpg
44 KB, 1348x758
How the fuck do you get rid of this shitty feeling whenever you have to work the next day?

>finally get off work
>come home at 18:00
>have a few hours of free time
>clock hits 22:00
>feeling of insane dread and panic sets in as I realize that the day is over
>reluctantly go to sleep
>repeat

How is this even a humane thing to put people through?
>>
>>28608516
I guess when people tell you to do what you love, I guess it's not bullshit.

I'm the same way anon.
>>
>>28608695
What if you don't specifically love any job?
>>
bumpananan
>>
>>28608767
Don't know. I'd love to be a meteorologist or a sys admin, but I'm not smart enough for those.
>>
>>28608516
yeah , ive been wage slaving at horible dead end jobs for like 12 years now, and that feeling of dread never leaves you. i just lay in bed at night thinking about work, and get angry and tense and filled with fear knowing that tomorrow is going to be another humilitating, unbareable day that im going to have to suffer through. i guess thats why people start to drink themselves to sleep every night.
>>
>>28609303
>sys admin
Why would you love to be this? Seriously curious.
>>
>>28609438
Curious, what do you do?
>>
>>28608516
>come home at 18:00
Why do you come how so damn late?
>>
>>28609884
Commute. I don't have a degree in my field so not a lot of companies would hire me. Eventually I found one who was okay with it, but they're 2 hours away.
>>
>>28609641
Because I like systems. It's 50000x better than what I do now.
>>
>>28610411
What job do you do now?
>>
>>28610506
I do marketing for a textbook company. I hate it. It's such boring, yet incredibly stressful work that I hate. My managers harass me in a negative fashion, and my work suffers because they kill my self-esteem.
>>
>do wut u wud do if monee wer no object brotatosaurus
Alright, so I should quit my job and watch anime/shitpost online all day? What about when my savings run out?
Thanks a lot Watts.
>>
File: 1463183000251.jpg (29 KB, 471x414) Image search: [Google]
1463183000251.jpg
29 KB, 471x414
>tfw you leave home at 7:30 and don't get in until 17:30
>tfw you're an apprentice so you're working for less than minimum wage
>>
you kill yourself
its the only way
this is what being an adult is and it will never get better
so deal with it or kys
>>
>>28610594
Atleast your job leads somewhere mate, I'l be on minimum wage my entire life unless I join the army.
>>
>want to use my vacation time before I quit
>can't actually take a real vacation because manager has to approve it and she only approves vacations for herself
>forced to either convince other employees to cover me on specific days and then use vacation time to make up for it, or just add vacation time to my normal days off
>keep getting called in to work on my days off, so can't use vacation time on them
>by the end of the week, I'm either already in overtime or close to it, not allowed to use vacation time if I'm in overtime or about to go into overtime
>manager keeps scheduling me so close to overtime that I can't possibly use any vacation time

LET ME OUT
LET ME OUT
SAVE ME
>>
>>28608516
>wake up at 6:00
>shitpost on chinz during lunchbreak
>work until 17:30
>commute home
>arrive at 20:00
>get around 1 hour of free time between 21:00 and 22:00
literally the only thing keeping me from being a complete NEET is that I need the money to live. Honestly I should just take out a loan and not go to college because the rat race is actual suicide.
>>
I really feel for you guys. We just weren't made for this world.
>>
File: 1463426382082.png (177 KB, 367x321) Image search: [Google]
1463426382082.png
177 KB, 367x321
I GET UP JUST ABOUT NOON
MY HEAD SENDS A MESSAGE FOR ME
TO REACH FOR MY SHOES THEN WALK
GOTTA GO TO WORK GOTTA GO TO WORK GOTTA HAVE A JOOOB
>>
>>28610728
Just quit dipshit.
>>
>>28610529
I'm sorry to hear that and I hope you do manage to find a better job at some point. I'm a programmer and I work for a finance/business-related company, so all I do is write stupid programs that calculate numbers and output them or whatever. It's tedious but I don't have much choice. I'd like to become a sysadmin because I like the idea of taking care of computers rather than writing dumb useless programs all day.

Just so I understand, you want to be an administrator who takes care of a network of computers/servers, right? Why are you unable to do this? It's fairly simple but just takes a lot of memorization and experience. You don't really need to have complex skills to do it, I think.
>>
>>28610544
Maybe start an anime review channel and mix in some shitposting humor? People talk about jobs when they say that shit, so yeah, good luck.
>>
>>28610762
>take out a loan
And then what?
>>
>>28608516
That usually makes me feel better. I mean I fucking hate the commute I think that's the worse part of the day back and forth eats up a lot of time, not really the safest thing to do, requires constant attention probably more than any other work task, and you never know if someone else is fucking around and not taking it seriously.
When I get off work and got a few hours it's like that's a lot of fucking time? What do I do there? Anything I start and get involved with could eat up a lot of time. So I start with the basics, wash clothes (if I got enough time to wash and dry it) clean up/organize things. Try to throw in some exercise. Study about work related shit it's just cool to learn tricks or stuff that could come in handy on the job.
>>
>>28611159
I went to school for a useless major and I'm stuck here.

I want to take care of a system, like do some physics work and not just sit on my computer and write shit in MS-DOS all day long.
>>
It's the innate soul-sucking nature of work. It still happens when everything is perfecto, no matter what the normies claim.

> work a couple hours a day
> from home
> pays well
> in comfy clothes
> playing good music
> for my own company
> doing shit I like
> for people I like

and I still get the same feels.
> really don't want to continue
> on workdays I'm always so tired
> too tired to do anything

The only thing keeping me going is my plan to retire at 30. Fully on my own money, I'll have to answer nobody, NEETbux always comes with strings and limits.
>>
>>28611253
Damn I thought you were talking about server management or something. Physics work might be more complex I guess, but I'm not sure if it's unattainable. You could always try if you have the option to do so.
>>
anyone else get the feeling that you're about to be sacked at any moment?
I think I'm just making myself ill with stress at this point, I'm tempted to go see a doctor or something
>>
>>28611653
dude i know this feel so hard.
one of my coworkers has been spreading rumors about me to make management hate me but they're starting to realize he's the bad employee and I'm not.
Still worried about losing my job though.
>>
Work in 4 hours, I'm dreading it. Probably gonna have to clean the deep fryer today.
>>
>>28611621
Physical work. My bad, dumb autocorrect.
>>
>>28611684
I work in an office of 6 people, and if someone is having a bad day or something and they aren't their usual self I feel as though it's my fault

even stuff like calling my boss to ask for a day off next week, I was fucking trembling just talking to him
>>
Do you ever feel like you could make yourself love your job?
Sometimes I think, maybe it's just me. Maybe if I change my outlook, I can enjoy it. Maybe I can make myself enthusiastic, treat it like a game. I can just make myself look forward to it, do my best at it, and draw satisfaction out of doing the best work possible.

But as soon as I arrive, I can't get into the right mindset anymore. As soon as I get there, I'm stuck counting the hours and minutes.
>>
Get a better job. Only a lucky few people can say they love their job, but if you hate your job you can try to get one that you don't hate. Thats the way mine is, don't hate it don't love it. Pays money. It takes work for food to leave the farms and end up in the stores you buy it from, so you gotta work as well. Work pays for work. You gotta work in this society.
>>
>>28611777
Oh, in that case it's actually pretty doable, even if you study from home. In fact, I think a lot of sysadmins just got some certificates and got a job like that.

And I'd like to be a sysadmin so I can move around more too. Maybe I should switch professions.
>>
>>28611534
>work a couple of hours a day
>from home
>pays well
>doing shit I like
>for people I like
What the fuck? How? I would fucking kill for this.
>>
>>28611534
Fucking humblebragger.
>>
>>28611826
Yup, exactly the same here. My job is also my hobby, but I do different things at the job than at home, and the shit I do at work is horrendously boring and soulnumbing. Can't ever get myself to like it.
>>
>>28610616
You sound like joining the army is an idea you have constantly in mind, since you bring it up in such a casual way. Why not indeed join it?
>>
>>28611960
> gain skills
> prove you have said skills
> ????
> PROFIT

I'm a programmer. I have a degree in it, my github is overflowing, and I have code in many top open-source projects.

It's the same whatever the skill, as long as it's something you can do from home. If your skill was 3d modeling, you should have a huge portfolio on polycount, and at least one game coop where most models were done by you.

>>28611995
> saying shit doesn't get better is bragging
It's telling the truth to robots so they don't have to wonder. It's like an older robot saying shit doesn't get better after HS, or a robot who got /fit/ telling you not to waste your time, it doesn't get better. It's a good thing.

> humblebrag mode on
The only reason I'm working so much is that my current client keeps wanting more. Normally I work a couple days a month.
>>
>>28612131
Not him but my eyesight is fucked up so they wouldn't take me even if I applied. Womp womp.
>>
>>28612187
>I'm a programmer. I have a degree in it, my github is overflowing, and I have code in many top open-source projects.
>tfw decent programmer wageslave
>tfw no degree
>tfw not a single github project
>tfw not a single contribution to an open-source project

A-at least I have a job, right?

>it doesn't get better
It does get better though. I work 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, in addition to the travel time to/from work. If I was in your position at least I wouldn't feel like shit so much. Now I feel like shit 6 out of 7 days, throughout the whole damn day.

>The only reason I'm working so much is that my current client keeps wanting more. Normally I work a couple days a month.
Fucking die you cunt.
>>
>>28612287

Change it. I know it's hard with no energy and no time because you work so much, but next time you have free time and energy, go fix a bug in some open-source program you use. Maybe it's Chrome pissing you off on your vacation. Maybe it's an obscure programming tool only 5 people use. Doesn't matter, start somewhere.
>>
>>28612187
How much would you say that you're making/year?

Also, what kind of projects did you work on to populate your github? I have some stuff on there but it's all stuff from class.
>>
>>28612478

I'm making maybe 20k a year, though this year will probably go a lot higher with so much work. I know it's nothing compared to what I could make in Silicon Valley or shit, but I value time so much more than money.

> what to put on github
Everything. I have old school projects, things I did for myself, and forks of projects I contribute to on github.

> need very specific functionality there exists no library for, only a research paper
> implement said functionality
> post on github
> the only downloads it gets are from China for some reason, idgaf

> customize program foo you use in ways that might not work upstream
> post it as an offsite backup
>>
>>28612660
20k is practically nothing, but it makes sense if you work so little. In fact, if you indeed only work a couple days a month (let's say 7) then 20k is a fucking lot. You could be making close to 100k if you worked fulltime.

I need to motivate myself to work on more shit. I have a lot of small shitty projects like web scrapers and a half-finished emulator, but they're too rough to post, and I'm too demotivated to clean them up. Eh, I'll try to force myself... some day.
>>
Sell dope. What's the worst that can happen, you end a fucking NEET in prison? You might as well be if you're a wage slave.
>>
>>28612835

My yearly expenses are 5k, everything above that goes to investing. Full-on MM/ERE mode.

> too shitty to post
Who cares? Your emulator can be buggy as shit, nobody will use it, but it will look good that you work on it.

Many of my random libraries start with just a README.
>>
>>28608516
same for me. and i only work half days
>>
>>28608516

It's awful, I know.

I drink to numb the pain. Hopefully it will help speed things along too.
>>
>>28610594
cool what apprenticeship are you doing? I get paid 8 quid per hour to complain about local government
>>
Sales is probably the best for you if you can get good at it. Lots of money to be made, if you're a good seller you can basically get away with whatever you want and you can walk in and out of sales jobs so it doesn't matter if you get fired. You can also rack up a ton on commision. I knew this one guy who used to get away with smoking at work and turning up whenever he felt like it, the managers were so cucked because their managers were telling them to get the figures in they were scared of firing him.
>>
>How the fuck do you get rid of this shitty feeling whenever you have to work the next day?
you don't, you just suffer through it each and every day. that's why kids try to postpone their wageslave days by traveling / academia
>once you realize life is suffering it gets psychologically a bit easier
>>
>>28612187
how to get into open source? I study CS and know programming in a couple of languages, even have an (empty) github. no idea where to start, please help
>>
>>28612912
>My yearly expenses are 5k
Are we even talking about USD here? Is this including rent?

>Your emulator can be buggy as shit, nobody will use it, but it will look good that you work on it.
I guess you're right. The CPU portion of my emulator works fine, and one of my web scrapers is functionally usable. I suppose it would be useful to remove the inappropriate comments, clean up the code a little, and post it. What's there to lose? It can only help me in the future.

Thanks for the advice bro.
>>
wageslaves, post your ideal job chareteristics

>freelance/own boss
>short hours
>above minimum wage

thats it. would solve all my problems
>>
>>28612905
But if u drop the soap
>>
>>28613194
Same, although later on I'd like to make more so I can save up and buy a large enough property (not a house, just ground or whatever it's called). Then I can build my own house DIY-style, and eventually fund some of the things I want to learn like electronics, competitive shooting, growing my own plants/vegetables, and just building shit and playing with it in a big space in general.
>>
>>28610297

Move closer.
>>
>>28608516
You should just quit your job anon.

Ive never had a job and Im doing fine. Youll figure it out. I even visited santa barbra/isla "the rodge was justified in hitting people with his car because the retarded students act like street laws dont exist" vista and visited all the places in his videos. I was neat connecting with his spirit.
>>
>britfag
>civil servant
>work for her maj like a true brit
>have long hours and average pay
>enough for beer and kebabs
>feels palatable man

don't give up my foreign friendos. you too can be like me and drink scotch and listen to bagpipes and play total war 2 as the Scots.

ayyyylmao chums. chin up aye? there's a good lad. *winks cockney -ishley* . fancy some chips mate?
>>
>>28609859
He wage slaves your idiot
>>
>>28613627
I don't live in the US, so neetbux aren't too easy to come by.
>>
>>28613729
How the fuck does every country seem to just throw out NEETbux?
>>
>>28613194

I just want Wednesdays off. I feel like I could do any old shit as long as it's only ever 2 days at a time.
>>
>>28613761
4 hour workdays would be great. I'd be more productive and I wouldn't be so cranky throughout the week.
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.