[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I can't decide whether I want to have a real life or just
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5
File: video-game-kid.jpg (195 KB, 427x281) Image search: [Google]
video-game-kid.jpg
195 KB, 427x281
I can't decide whether I want to have a real life or just play video games all the time.

I have a job so I could easily spend the rest of my life going to work and playing games, but I'm not sure if it's a good choice even though that's what I'm naturally inclined to do.

What should I do?
>>
>>28602338
chingun ?
>>
Please help me. I don't know what to do.
>>
>>28602338

Do whatever the fuck you wanna do, man. If you only wanna play vidya on your free time, then play vidya.
>>
>>28602338
what else would you do?

keep in mind video games is essentially a hobby.
>>
If I play vidya I lose ambition for others things. There's something about the combination of incredibly fun but also satisfying the challenge oriented part of the brain too, it's a mindfuck. I stopped playing everything and it's easier doing productive shit. I figure, if I'm 40 and my life is a failure, then I can lose myself in game reality, VR will be so good then too. I don't think you're going to look back on a life where you've done done a lot of interesting things and wish you'd spent more time on games and less on getting skills/value.
>>
>>28603088
I would do normal stuff like try and get friends or learn to drive, look after my appearance, get other hobbies.

If I just play games I won't bother because there's no point. I really like playing games but I don't want to get to 50 and be like shit I've wasted my life.
>>
>>28603240
if you really like it you wont think that. on the other hand if you force yourself to do normal shit you will.

can you grasp how illogical you sound?

stop being so hard on yourself, now THAT, that is the 'normal' thing to do.
>>
>>28603313
OK thanks. I think I will just do whatever I feel like at the time and then I can't go wrong.
>>
>>28603313
You think it's logical to tell him that he's either going to be happy or not based on life vs videogames? It's not a black and white thing. The point is video games give you fun up front but they don't pay rewards down the track. Normal tasks and skills are less pleasant to start with, but they do give you a larger amount of value over a life.
>>
File: 1462923303336.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
1462923303336.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>28603353
welcome to life, where we do whatever the fuck we want. results may vary.
>>
>played video games all the time
>wanted real life
>turned out real life people are dicks
>just want to play video games now
I can't even enjoy video games anymore.
>>
Balance OP, find a healthy balance. You'd probably feel pretty strained trying to out everyday and normalfag it up, but you might regret letting yourself completely go and playing nonstop vidya for entire years of your life
>>
>>28603375
>Normal tasks and skills are less pleasant to start with, but they do give you a larger amount of value over a life.

Notice how pleasure/fun was snuck out and 'value' was snuck in in its place.

Stick with vidya.
>>
>>28602338
Dude, if you play video games past age 12, you're probably an undiagnosed autist. Not ebin kidding.
>>
>>28603375
you can't take any of that value with you.

if he wants to play video games and enjoys it and doesn't want the long term benefits that come with delayed gratification.

your logic assumes instant gratification is bad and delayed gratification is good. black and white. it also implies the meme that most people use in that video games provide instant gratification but just how long must you put off instant gratification before it becomes delayed gratification?

i think it's very logical to tell him to do what he loves to do and encourage him. be it video games or otherwise.
what kind of gratification would he get if he wanted to play video games, put it aside and subject himself to get his drivers licence all for the sake of being able to feel normal. assuming the title of being normal means virtually nil to him?
>>
File: 1461925878419.png (240 KB, 283x324) Image search: [Google]
1461925878419.png
240 KB, 283x324
>>28602338

>tfw I fell for the stem meme
>currently no drive at all to do anything
>have the same work ethic as highschool, maybe even worse
>play vidya ever single day, even MORE then I did in highschool
>really doing everything last minute, skipping shit I don't like
>one class teacher unironically actually calls on me to answer questions
>always stutter, talk really fast and start sweating
>she can audibly and visibly see this, yet continues to do it every lesson

I'd be happy if I was given a 5x5m box and a good pc/internet to live in for the rest of time

I'll just be a neet after uni as I've never had a job or know anyone
>>
>>28603486
>if he wants to play video games, enjoys them and doesn't want the long term benefits that come with delayed gratification. that's his prerogative.

fixd
>>
>>28603509
If I provided you with a roof/food/internet would you be my sex toy? You don't even have to love me.
>>
>>28603486
You don't have to take the value with you. It enriches your life as it is.

Delayed gratification has its own satisfaction. It's more than just plain euphoric fun, it's the sense that you're enjoying doing something and that it's worthwhile for the continued benefits as well.
The feeling of going to bed at night and knowing that didn't fritter it away, but enjoyed the progression is satisfying in its own way. I don't have to deal with that little voice at the back of my head that knows when I'm not trying my best and selling myself short.

Again, I don't think it's impossible to have a balance of both, but for me it's easier just to leave video games entirely.
>>
File: 1462195286489.jpg (101 KB, 660x810) Image search: [Google]
1462195286489.jpg
101 KB, 660x810
>>28603557

>sex toy

you'd have to be a QT biological girl

not one with the bent
the rest of the offer sounds nice
>>
>>28603509
Same here except I'm now currently failing out of college. For some reason I always thought I was smart and would be successful, I'm only realizing now that I am simply not cut out for any kind of work or education and should kill myself instead of trying.
>>
>>28602338
i rather play video games all the time but i seem to be kinda feeling bored by it which sucks cause i still want to play but i'm really feel like playing
>>
>>28603509
>>she can audibly and visibly see this, yet continues to do it every lesson
How do you audibly see something? Also as a teacher it's her job to try to get you to improve. The only way to improve is to practice. So maybe you should try to not stutter and start sweating every time something as innocuous as being asked a question happens.

>tripfag
>avatarfag
>robot
Actually, you're probably beyond help.
>>
>>28603604
What a shame. Sure you couldn't suck up your disgust for a really awesome custom built rig?
>>
>>28603585
>but enjoyed the progression

You are progressing towards death.

This is the same kind of shit that trophy/achievement systems and grinding games are built on. Disguise a pointless, worthless, unfun experience with the feeling of 'being rewarded' and 'making progress'. Any game worth playing is worth playing for its own sake, you don't need to be 'rewarded' or be working towards something, but it ties into the hunter/gatherer part of your brain or some psychological shit I don't know anything about, so it works and sucks people in.

Pretty sad if the 'game' you're wasting your time progress questing through turns out to be your real life.
>>
>>28603585
you're assuming all things derived from instant gratification are inherently bad, useless or not particularly garnered by any intellectual or wealthy-smart-free-thinking-entrepreneur
>>
>>28603509
>>she can audibly and visibly see this, yet continues to do it every lesson
you know teachers like doing that shit always
>>
I played video games all throughout my teens and i dont regret it at all. I even feel nostalgic about it. So i just keep playing.
>>
I've found that playing games for an extended time makes me neglect other things, and in the long run makes me feel worse. The best way to go is to play vidya on a hobby basis, meaning in between doing other stuff (not necessarily a job, just something that gives you pride and satisfaction at least but also including chores and things that you need to take care of like occasionally interacting with people IRL).

During the summer I basically have the ability to never leave my house or interact with another person (I'm a teacher living alone), but in the past I only got about 4-5 days into total NEET emulation before the gaming starred not being as fun. The only way to fix it has been to take a break and do something else, like exercise, get groceries, clean/do laundry, etc. After that you feel recharged and ready to game some more.

And lest you think me some normie, know that I am a permavirgin pedo with social anxiety, so my advice should apply to at least the majority of robots.
>>
>>28603557
I'm straight but I'd definitely suck dick in exchange for that, maybe even allow dick up my ass
>>
>>28603671
i felt the same so i picked up a second and third hobby. lo and behold i can code now. its only in scratch but at least its a start.
>>
>>28603671
I actually found that i dont enjoy videogames if im not NEET and cant play 12+ hours a day.
>>
>>28603673
I hate having my dick sucked, and don't really like to fuck. How long would you like an arrangement like this to last?
>>
File: Plutia1.png (84 KB, 227x227) Image search: [Google]
Plutia1.png
84 KB, 227x227
>>28603623

>>I'm only realizing now that I am simply not cut out for any kind of work or education
This, completely

>>28603628
That rig would probably be multiple times better then the piece of junk I'm using now
still not one with thegay

do you get off more when people don't like it?

>>28603627
she's not helping anything though, I can hold conversations one on one just fine, or even in a small group
But calling on me suddenly to answer some garbage always makes my heart beat out of my chest

>>28603654
it never stops, its a worse version of highschool
>>
>>28603638
No, I'm saying even if a video game has a delayed gratification reward, there's no real life progression, you just got a little bit less fit and a little bit older while you were sitting there.

>>28603629
Have you not worked to improve any aspect of your life and felt the enjoyment and positive feedback of that? You keep implying that making progress in life isn't fun, like you don't know what it feels like. I don't know what to tell you...
Making progress in your real goals is not pointless, worthless or unfun until you get the end result. I get a total higher net enjoyment from life from my goals vs gaming, even over the span of a day. The activity is satisfying, and knowing I did my best is satisfying, and know it will enrich my life to come is satisfying as well. I'm not hanging my enjoyment in life on the payoff.

Anyway this discussion seems to be going in circles. Cya
>>
>>28603711
Why do you want a sex toy you aren't going to fuck? You trying to find a guy who will fuck you?
>>
>>28603733
the life progression is completing the game. it's only meaningless relative to your opinion on what constitutes real life progression.
>>
>>28603728
>do you get off more when people don't like it?

It's more that I have an extremely high tolerance for disinterest in the bedroom. This comes from all my years spent as a high school cumdump for too horny for their own good guys.
>>
>>28603763
Well, obviously I would spend my time sucking his dick, or having him do things to me.
>>
>>28603820
Oh I just usually think of a sex toy as being the one who gets fucked. But yeah in theory I would definitely live that life, but probably the thing that would stop me irl would be the shame if my family found out. Although they're pretty liberal so I guess I could just say I'm gay.
>>
>>28603733
>there's no real life progression, you just got a little bit less fit and a little bit older while you were sitting there.
this is incredibly narrow minded and nobody should take your advice on anything.

>Anyway this discussion seems to be going in circles.
>Cya
don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya.
>>
>>28603854
I guess I could have been more specific. Are you this anon: >>28603673 ?
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.