[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Schizophrenia
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1
File: 1462901906111.gif (478 KB, 240x242) Image search: [Google]
1462901906111.gif
478 KB, 240x242
Currently at my brothers graduation ceremony and hiding in the bathroom because the whole thing was scaring the living shit out of me. How is it going for you guys?
>>
>>28590703

Is this... is this a common thing to do for people with schizophrenia? If so I might have to tell my psych about all the times I hide at social events.
>>
>>28590763
I was freaking out because I thought everyone was taking pictures of me and filming me. I'm currently outside, but I haven't calmed down yet
>>
>>28590703
Where's he graduating from?

I'm in the same situation, that's crazy.

Not hiding in the bathroom, but just loafing around in the hotel room. Kinda regret not going to the actual graduation itself, that's pretty disrespectful right? Idk though I was also freaking out pretty bad by then, needed down time. I kept it together for a few days, though.

It's okay robro it will end eventually
>>
>>28591010
University of Minnesota. I've actually found an effective way to calm down: just hit your head gently on a wall repeatedly. It works like magic.
>>
>>28591204
Huh, really can't tell if you're joking or not.
>>
At least I'm not seeing visuals. I can't imagine how you guys who see visuals feel.
>>
>>28590763
No, not necessarily, unless he was having delusional beliefs. It could easily just be anxiety causing you to feel that way, but social anxiety isn't necessarily a symptom of schizophrenia, even if people with it become withdrawn, it's because of delusional paranoia and negative symptoms, not just feeling a bit anxious.

Tell your psych either way.
>>
>>28591204

It does work. I've been doing this since childhood, sometimes even not so gently. It calms me down when I really need it.
>>
>>28591546
It still kinda seems like you're being facetious (and if you are that'd be a little fucked up), but if you're not, hey more power to you. Whatever works I guess. Just hope your head is okay.
>>
>>28590703
Were there any warning signs before you got schizophrenia or did the disease just develop suddenly?
>>
>>28591668
Not him, but I had like a year of prodromal symptoms before they diagnosed me, though I still alternatively get the diagnosis of psychotic depression (can't be fucked typing the full name) or schizophrenia.

But yeah, took like a year of minor symptoms gradually getting worse, as well as minor short psychotic breaks before it developed fully.
>>
I am diagnosed with psychotic depression. Am I welcome ITT?
>>
>>28591707
I feel like I'm having those symptoms. I'm finding it more and more exhausting to talk to people, including my parents, I can't concentrate, I'm starting to stutter and every now and then I'd have pretty bad paranoia. Just a week ago during an art exam I kept having negative and nonsensical thoughts race through my head, and I couldn't control them.

Am I overthinking? I got worried about schizophrenia since a more distant family member had it and I used to have auditory and sometimes visual hallucinations as a kid. I was also convinced a demon was communicating to me telling me to be good.

Sorry for all this text I'm just worried
>>
OP here. I was being completely serious about hitting my head. The blunt pain takes my mind off things and really works to clear my head. It's not like I'm hitting it hard enough to cause brain damage or anything.
>>
>>28591935
No, it's fine, but I have no idea whether or not you're worrying too much, or exaggerating your symptoms, or just describing a result of pre-existing illness or physical issues.

Those could be some prodromal symptoms, but they cane also be symptomatic of a lot of other things, not all of which are mental. Bottom line is see your doctor about it, because if it is prodromal schizophrenia, it's much easier to treat at this point before it's full fledged, and if it's physical, you absolutely need treatment for it. If it bothers you, see a doctor.
>>
>>28592179
Thank you anon. It's considered shameful to talk about mental health here. My friend, who has legit hallucinations about angels and is very disorganised way of speaking, was privately made fun of my mother, who thought he was just making things up. I'm scared she'd react the same towards me.

Hopefully I'll be going abroad to study this winter to a more open-minded country, so I'll go to a doctor there.
>>
>>28591970
Recent research has pointed toward repeated small blows to the head rather than occasional large blows to the head as more likely to cause CTE (Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy).
>>
>>28592332
Yeah, it's tough enough in aus, which is one of the better countries when it comes to mental health treatment, so it could be scary in less open minded places. Best of luck.

>>28592501
>the quality of posts is very important to this community
>>
Can I get some /adv/ from you fellow schizos? My sis in law developed schizo to the point where she hears people in her head and is on meds for it.

I realm liked her, she was cute but now I rarely see her and if she is in the area, talking to her is hard since she doesn't approach anyone but her bros and sis. Me and her used to be close and liked one another but now it seems like ill never talk to her again.

Just want to know, how would yall like to be approached? I want to be her friend again, maybe even help her through this. She is home schooled and lost her dad at a young age so maybe it plays a part?
>>
>>28592994
What did you two do when you were close? Like, if you watched movies, maybe invite her to see X-Men: Jewpocalypse?
>>
>>28592994
Privately, one on one style. Keep it relaxed, don't impose any demands of any kind (whether they be social or anything else), keep pressure at a minimum because schizoshit can blow that kind of thing way out of proportion. Treat her like a human and not some weird sick aberration, or a malfunctioning machine.

And let her have an out so she doesn't feel obligated to talk to you, like don't corner her or some shit, because this will only aggravate her. Personally I always, always need a private "escape" where I can go when shit starts hitting the fan because otherwise it'll just escalate until it becomes unmanageable.

It also helps if she's in an environment where she is already at ease and comfy, or somewhere where she feels at home.

Have some genuine, concrete context backing your approach, too. That makes it easier.

Idk if that's really helpful but it's what I got
>>
>>28593076
She never gets out. 18 and lives with her mum. I'm 20. We used to play at my house, vidya and with pets, when I was 14 and she 12, went on for a few years.

She was always kind of snarky but quiet. She has no facebook and not even a phone so getting into contact with her is hard. I only ever see her twice or three times a year. What should I do then?
>>
>>28591634
I wasn't, and yeah I had it scanned recently, it's fine.
>>
>>28593238

Shit, I just saw this. So she doesn't have any online method?

Hmm. What about writing her letters? You might need to enclose a SASE...she probably doesn't have the supplies handy.

>>28592994

Sometimes, it's easier to communicate online...similar to autism (if I understand right) where it reduces the amount of sensory information you need to process.

Also, you have time to think about your response. It's easy to get panicked with real-time or near-real-time communication, especially if you're worried about sounding fucking crazy.

See if you can reach out to her like that, maybe. If that works, don't be surprised if she's still distant in a social situation...she'll still be dealing with a lot of input, and it's pretty messed up input at that. Just be chill and let her be...even help head off the Nosey Nancy-types in your family.

It's tough, and if she's been recently diagnosed, there's also some cognitive dissonance going on because she's adjusting to her new situation, but she remembers how she was, too.
>>
>>28593173
This is help. Thanks
>>
>>28590763
No, that's anxiety.
If you're doing it because you believe everyone is out to get you, you dunno where the voices are coming from, or you think everyone is laughing at you and you can SEE it. Then yeah, see a doctor.
>>
>>28593376
It'd have to be a natural encounter physically first. Online sounds for the best, I'll give it a shot. I just don't want her to feel uncomfortable if we do meet and I don't want to say the wrong thing. Naturally I'm a little outspoken and I don't want to offend or intimidate her at all.
>>
>>28593730

Is she doing eye contact? If not, maybe be careful about that.

I can tell you that this is very isolating, and well, I think it's pretty cool you want to reach out.

I'll also add, these are suggestions based on my own experience and comfort, your mileage might vary, and consider other suggestions here as well (although you might want to discount ones like 'surprise buttsecks'...or not, I guess, it is 4chan).
>>
>>28593173

Yeah, >>28593376 here, second this. Great post.

I just want to reiterate that even if you've been carrying on a great conversation over email or Twitter DMs or something, that pressure of real-world interaction might cause her to shut down.

Mentioned Twitter, too, because it can be less intimidating to send a few short messages instead of a longer email. DMs also allow more than 140 characters, too, if she's in need of saying something longer. She doesn't need to tweet publicly, either...can just be private for the two of you.
>>
>>28593412

I've had all that, also went to a party once in college and had really great conversation with someone...really connected...and then people commented later about how I sat at the picnic table and talked for two hours with someone who wasn't there.

Heh.

>don't think these are 'hallucinations'
>>
>>28592410
That's about football players fagget
>>
>>28594231
I've never heard of schizophrenics having hallucinations like that anon, generally visual and auditory are separate, and they're absolutely not coherent people that you can have discussions with for several hours. And this is including severely psychotic people I've seen in wards. Plus, no-one at the party decided to ask you who the fuck you were talking to? This sounds like bullshit.
>>
>>28594454
I'd be too scared to randomly come to a guy talking to himself.
But yet again, it's a party. There had to be someone drunk enough or looking for ways to impress some people.
>>
Anyone else actually feel themselves getting worse? My meds aren't working at all for me anymore. I might stop taking desu, I hate this fucking haze I'm in.
>>
>>28594549
Yeah, and you'd have a point in public, but as you said, it's a party, you'd have some drunk guy comment on it without thinking, or someone who just thought you'd drank too much or were high on something and wanted to make sure you weren't going to fuck up wherever you were at.

Either way, hallucinations don't work like that.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.