[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw I thought that at uni I would meet shy, introverted people
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 8
File: asd.jpg (47 KB, 696x495) Image search: [Google]
asd.jpg
47 KB, 696x495
>tfw I thought that at uni I would meet shy, introverted people like me with similar interests and would make actual friends
>people in the anime club were all faggots
>surely most people doing science would be less likely to be normie
>turns out it's literally the same as it always has been
>still can't fit in and find a niche friend group despite there being thousands more people

anyone else finding it hard to go out and get friends in the real world after years of school automatically giving you friends circumstantially?
>>
All sub cultures have been invaded by normies and affirmative action has ruined academy and the modern workplace

The best advice that i can give you is to give up on people and become a backstabbing narcissistic piece of shit and do the shit you wanna do
>>
>faggots in the anime club

What the fuck were you expecting lad? Every single person who likes anime is trash. Weebshits, down to the least and last, should be exterminated like the disgusting vermin they are.
>>
>>28580511
Did a weeb rape you or are you just THIS autistic?
>>
>>28580341
I was on board until this:
>after years of school automatically giving you friends circumstantially?
I haven't found anyone I can identify with even in the slightest since I was a kid.
>>
>>28581318

>I'm autistic, according to the weebcuck

Liking anime is the only needed metric to diagnose autism though.
>>
>>28581661
ok definitely the ladder.
Dont be so mad autismo
>>
>>28581549
This.
I had a brief friend group for, like, 2 years in school and then most of them turned out to be asshats and/or just grew apart from me in the space of one summer in highschool.

Other than them I don't connect to anyone really.
>>
I gave up on meeting people or making friends.
The internet has ruined human contact for me.
Take this thread for example. Like fuck a topic like this would ever come up when talking to a real person in real life.
Only on 4chan can I find half way interesting things to discuss/hear. Everyone else just says inane shit like some old story of something that happened to them or what happened to them that day. Basically people just talk about what happened to them or what happened around them. I can not force myself to care about that boring shit for too long before I realize how much I'd rather be at home on my PC.
And then when I get home I feel really bored and depressed just refreshing 4chan boards and scrolling down them. Life sucks, I want to drop out.
>>
>>28581701
You're on r9k, literally everyone is a bit autistic. You just have shit taste mixed in with the autism
>>
>>28582245
it is why I used superlative
>>
>Can't wait to move to new city and start college. It's all gonna change.

Oh boy how wrong I was
>>
>>28581824
>And then when I get home I feel really bored and depressed just refreshing 4chan

You forgot the regret and self hatred if you spoke a single word.
>>
>>28582390
>the regret and self hatred if you spoke a single word
?

elaborate
>>
I had friends too but I changed to a new degree and now I can't make friends. Everyone already paired up and now it's the summer months so everyone went home while I'm here trying to catch up.
>>
>>28581549
>>28581710
Well I mean that you sit next to people in your classes and eventually in most cases a friendship arises somewhere. Obviously still for some you are still alone but it's generally a lot easier to be in a friend group in school due to friendships arising out of circumstance.

I don't mean necessarily real friends but just people you can actually sit with and perhaps talk to.

>>28580511
well I like anime and back in school obviously you could never talk about anime because there's a stigma in high school about anime being weird. When I heard about the anime society I thought I could finally discuss it with other real human beings. Turns out they were all weird and I even got hit on by a guy who thought I was gay. I never went back.

>>28582340
This was me. I'm getting slightly better now but still not made any friends outside of my flatmates. Not met a single person in lectures or workshops that I stuck with.
>>
>>28582418
Like, I only got the chance of spending time with other people at the age of 20 yo, I'm 21 now and I try to keep quiet most of the time but sometimes a topic will come up where I say something that is not what everyone else was having in mind. Then I realise what I've done and keep rewinding it in my mind and hating myself for saying anything because it's so obvious that it wasn't in the same plane as their conversation. It's not an autistic splurge or something like that but they'd obviously never agree with it.

I spend time with small town, non college going people. 3 girls and 2 guys. They usually talk about inane unrelatable stuff like gossip and such (I never know who they're talking about).
It's obvious that they're not that fond of me but I try to make them not drop me, like if they don't invite me for they're hangouts a few times I'll pay for drinks and gas the next time they do.
>>
>>28580341
university was a waste of fucking time
>>
>>28581824
Tbqh this is the sort of stuff I talk about with my close friends except I don't have any anymore. You just have to bond with people long enough that you both become comfortable enough to discuss more 'real' things.

I wouldn't bring this up with a stranger or person I just met in case they were creeped out by me suddenly spilling my heart out to them. In this case we're anonymous so we're all relating in a different way.
>>
>>28580413
>The best advice that i can give you is to give up on people and become a backstabbing narcissistic piece of shit and do the shit you wanna do
I know this is probably supposed to be ironic, but weirdly enough this shit WILL make you happier and more likeable if you've got a certain knack/ eccentricity
>>
>>28580413
Last time I heard normies avoided tabletop games and hardcore sci fi.
>>
>>28581824
This.Its as if there is absolutely no depth in real life normie conversations.
>>
>>28582527
>like if they don't invite me for they're hangouts a few times I'll pay for drinks and gas the next time they do.
wow you have to stop this my man
they are not your friends
they are keeping you around only barely because you throw money their way
if you stopped doing that, they'd completely drop you.

is having shitty "friends" worth paying money for?
you life sounds a lot worse than mine. I just hang with dumb druggies who are either out right wrong, have dumb uniformed opinions, and/or in general don't bring up good topics to discuss.

Every time I hang out with them I'm mostly bored. I kinda blame media. I sit inside on the PC while watching Tv mostly, so without that constant source of info I get bored.
plus I just have nothing to really say, I'm not boisterous or confident in stuff like that so I just sit there passively while they talk about the latest dumb shit like a new video game, some music performer, or general drug stuff

I'd probably drop them if not for them being my only drug contacts
>>28582576
yeah that sounds kinda right. I don't do that bonding thing or really reveal much of myself. mainly because I don't think there is much to reveal and I don't see a point in bonding or even know what bonding is so that's just all fucked.

human interaction just isn't for me, that's what I've come up with. I don't enjoy much, I think I'd enjoy just working all the time so I don't have to think about stuff. just do things
>>
File: computerscience2014.png (82 KB, 715x634) Image search: [Google]
computerscience2014.png
82 KB, 715x634
>>28580341
I did computer science for a time, but I did not like it. I didn't like the people there and I didn't like what I was studying, so I stopped going to classes, stopped doing work and became NEET for a while.
>>
>>28582678
It's much worse spending months alone with no reason to ever do anything than to have bad friends.

Now I at least have a reason to shower.
>>
>>28582716
fuck that is brutal
god spend anon
>>
>>28582686
CS is filled with Stacy
>>
File: image.gif (1019 KB, 175x131) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
1019 KB, 175x131
>>28581701
>definitely the ladder
>the ladder
>ladder
Autism-A-Go-Go
>>
>>28582788
I've heard that Stacy loves Geography
>>
>>28580341
>school automatically giving you friends

It took me 12 years to make decent friends I felt confortable with.
I'm half way through uni, and despite meeting a lot of people, I have no real friends there.
This is why people join frats. They're smart enough to realize it's a better alternative to trying to make real friends, and having a shitty time for 4-5 years.
>>
>>28580341
Ironically, the best way to meet other shy introverted people is to go up and talk to them at random.

>uni anime club was full of faggots
Honestly, I don't know what you were expecting. Anyone that likes anime enough to join a club about it is not going to be anywhere near normal. One of my buddies from HS was president of the anime club and used to wear fedoras during his freshman year. He's still cringey as shit because he plays TF2 and praises Overwatch and Undertale as god's creations, but he's tolerable outside of his personal preferences. Back to the point though, don't find friends at anime club.

One of the best ways I've found good friends is by wanting to learn more about my field. I'm a CompEng major, so I've been reaching out in pretty much every direction since I got to uni, and so far, its netted me an internship and good relations with the research labs and the students that run them on campus. I also get along better with people that are older than me, so I typically try to take higher level courses so I run into more of them. However, this generally requires you to be able to not fuck up and work hard.

If you're not that good at coursework, I would recommend finding study groups for various subjects and making friends based on your observations. For example, don't make friends with the idiot that is always talking and blowing off the lecture, but complains when he fails the class.

As long as you don't act like a fucking sperg and talk about your personal preferences right off the bat, you should be fine. It's obvious that you wouldn't start a conversation about anime with some random dude, unless you have observed that he might share your views. Watch your footing on what you present to others, and you should be able to make good friends within a year or so.
>>
>>28582974
>reaching out in every direction
What do you mean by this? Like going to the computer science club?

I'm a Physics major but only just finished 1st year undergrad so I'm not sure how to become friends with the research lab and other degree related folks since they'll be much more knowledgeable than me. I feel like I couldn't exactly discuss Physics with them due to my relative ignorance.
>>
>>28582883
I joined a fraternity and it has given me great friends I can rely on
>>
>>28582883
>>28583329
>the frat meme

top lel fa
>>
>>28582517
Yeah uni is a pain in the ass because there's no middle ground. Either you're a turbo normie or you're the most hardcore turbo autist around. You can't have a conversation about videogames or the like because the normies don't care and the retards have to make everything a giant scene by being obnoxious. Like use your indoor voice and speak like an adult for fucks sake I don't care that the topic is some nipponese video game like come on.
>>
>>28580341
fuck man you should try being in fucking med school, everyone there is a fucking normie while also being harder working and smarter than you, I fucking hate them
>>
File: 1433629501987.png (87 KB, 253x213) Image search: [Google]
1433629501987.png
87 KB, 253x213
It must suck for people who really want friends and can't make any. Maybe you should try becoming schizoid?
>>
>>28583329
That's great, but you got then through some surrogate brotherhood.
You didn't earn them. You kinda just paid for them.
Do you think you'd have those friends if Greek Life didn't exist?
It's still a better alternative to not having any friends.
>>
>>28583164
I, too, just finished first year. Congrats.

And kinda. I reached out to a bunch of the labs and well-established parts of the university, and told them I was interested in learning outside of class in each of their respective fields. Usually, that excuses you from having any actual knowledge of the subject. There are some cases though in which you really should have a background before joining a club, and that's usually when the club is extremely specialized (i.e. a particular field deep in physics).

If you want to join a Physics club or do some research, just ask. Just be prepared that research will probably require some reasons for them to consider you, especially if they don't have an opening. Prior experience or good grades will typically speak for you, otherwise you should hope you are really good with interpersonal communication and convincing people.
>>
>>28583703
For example, I could've had a research opportunity this summer because of the connections I made this year. I worked on a project at our uni's Hackathon (software development 24-hr marathon project competition) and I ended up working with one of the guys at our Hardware lab (our project was also hardware related). I told him I would be interested in working at the lab, and he invited me to come by and get to know people. Now, because I have connections in the lab and I know people that they know, I could've potentially been allowed to conduct research. Unfortunately, my internship schedule with classes was a bit much, so I couldn't accept.
>>
>>28583594
>Maybe you should try becoming schizoid?
Most people who browse this website everyday probably are. The infrequenters are the normalfags who shit up the place.
>>
>>28583506
>Either you're a turbo normie or you're the most hardcore turbo autist around.

This hits the nail on the head. It's not necessarily that in school you automatically got friends (though the structure certainly helped), it's that there were a lot more varying degrees of normalcy/weirdness.
>>
>>28582635
I don't know about sci fi, but at my university they've invaded tabletop games.
>>
My problem in college/university was that the years of social isolation in high school left me completely unable to relate to people and to know what friends did together.

I lived in a dorm my freshman year and while I got along with my roommates and sometimes hung out with them, I really didn't meet anyone else in the dorm.

I lived with roommates the following 3 years in an apartment, but basically what happened was I got a job through my freshman year roommate, and each year afterwards I lived with a few guys from work and 1-2 random people. I occasionally hung out with them but after they moved we never talked again.

In classes, I didn't understand how to meet people in a 500 person lecture, and even in my small normie major, I would just go to class and then go home, while it seemed like everyone else knew each other. And then in smaller classes/labs, it was like how it always was for me, where I would be fine talking with people, cracking jokes, etc but then class ends and that was it

A lot of people say college/university can be the best time of your life which is true, but if you do it wrong it can be the loneliest, most miserable time of your life, even worse than high school
>>
>years of High School completely jade me to people
>can put up a nice front to people in Uni, smile, lead group projects
>instant class finishes so does my class personality, go back to complete isolation, never talk to anyone outside classes
>reached a point where i have destroyed my social skills so badly i don't think i would be able to make a real friend at this point even if i tried.
>>
File: 1454891576940.jpg (182 KB, 918x627) Image search: [Google]
1454891576940.jpg
182 KB, 918x627
>>28583506
This is exactly my experience as well. Normies being normies as usual but more intelligent. And the introverts are just too obnoxious, too wraped in their fantasies. They still have their circle of friends and even partners though.

There is no way to win. We were born to be lonely. I accept such melancholy fate and am reading philosophy so I can become that one obscure philosopher old lonely guy to at least have an identity.
>>
Sometimes I wish I could lower myself to being a fedora wearing anie club autist faggot, as terrible as those people are at least they have each other. They wear their fedora and their fat disgusting anime t-shirt wearing girlfriends on their arms with pride and seem quite content.

But the pill is already taken
>>
>>28583814
Exactly. Why is it so hard for people to like something like anime and not dress like they're from fucking Naruto. It's pretty much been a meme since forever so why do people see the autists dressing up like Sephiroth or someone and go "yeah, that's cool and I'm gonna scream about it and shove it in people's faces 24/7". It reminds me of Pink Floyd. Despite being rock stars when they'd play concerts they'd just wear jeans and t-shirts and be as chill as everyone else. It's like I'm not asking people to not like what they like even if they mainly have garbage taste I just want them to not sperg out and start yelling about whatever flavor of the week anime is airing while we're in the dining hall getting lunch. I mean I get there's autists but there's no way every single person who likes videogames/anime at uni is either a turbo autist or someone who hasn't grown out of their edgy teenage years right?
>>
>get a text from some kid in my class after months of not showing up due to depression/lack of motivation
>asks me if I'm okay seems genuinely concerned
>say I'm okay just been going through some tough things
>says oh ok sorry to hear that btw do you have a bio test from last year I could use to cheat off of

Literally fuck people
>>
File: 1443740910670.jpg (143 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
1443740910670.jpg
143 KB, 640x1136
>>28580341
>tfw I thought that at uni I would meet shy, introverted people like me with similar interests and would make actual friends
>video game club is just league of legends and melee, full of faggots and nobody wants anything to do with me
>video game dev club is mostly the same people
>and they're all better than me at making games
>>
File: 1463243258819.png (291 KB, 750x366) Image search: [Google]
1463243258819.png
291 KB, 750x366
>work at comic shop/ gaming hub cafe
>In the last 5 years when capeshit movies blew up in popularity so has sales by normies getting into comics
>chad has been coming in a bunch lately buying a bunch of the rarer expensive as fuck early additions of comics we have to give to his stacy gf.
>robots that come in get super salty about this
>ask them if they're so pissed why don't they buy the comics instead if they're that worried about them being ruined
>it always, fucking always, turns into the same exact "well I don't have the money right now". well then shut the fuck up and let someone who does have the money buy it.

Capeshit movies probably saved the store I worked at from closing down five years ago. I for one welcome normalfags into our "nerdy" hobbies as it pumps more money into them.
>>
>>28584009

I'm basically pulling this out of my ass, but I think it may be because in grade school, having anime/video games/cartoons as your main interests is socially acceptable (at least relatively); it's just seen as a kid enjoying kid things. But as you get older, it becomes less socially acceptable so a lot of people who like those things feel a drive to "move on" and abandon those interests in favor of more "age-appropriate" ones. And the ones who don't are typically the ones too oblivious to pick up on that social context (as opposed to consciously rejecting it) and just become more and more absorbed in it, possibly using their interest as a surrogate for social interaction.
>>
>>28584375
To me it feels like the opposite. People give less and less about this bullshit, but it always depends on your surrounding. Besides getting depressed i also appreciate my surrounding more when i lurk here, because your`s always seem much worse and nearly make me reconsider my plans to travel through the USA.
Also i believe that many of those "peopleproblems" derive from a constantly negative mindset and repressed or unnoticed feelings. My ability to open up to people and my relationships improved, when i started to replaced my stupendous internetconsumption with better media and following my hobbies.
Sometimes just a good movie or book or any occurance can give you insight or change your perspective for a short time and thus your behaviour in the long term.
It is possible to strike an interesting conversation with anyone, but most faggots here are usually too closed in on their problems fed with recursive logic.
Or trolling
>>
>>28584010
>people only call when they want something

Happens to me all the time.
>>
>>28580341
You don't want friends. You've been brainwashed into believing you need friends.
>>
>>28584375
I honestly think it's the opposite as well. One of the few things that Freud said that's supported by evidence is that repression of an idea leads to a more explosive release of that idea later on down the road. What I think happens is that these people repress it, become more autistically warped, and when they arrive at university, which is a "safe space", they explode with their autism to such an extent that it puts everyone off. Then you've got the normies who become even more normie because life loves them. Finally there's people like you and I, who just coast in the middle and no one gives a shit about.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.