[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Found a book where the narrator is a robot.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3
File: dostoevsky.jpg (17 KB, 200x264) Image search: [Google]
dostoevsky.jpg
17 KB, 200x264
"Well, yes; but do, for goodness' sake, be kind. Think what I am! Here, I am twenty-six and I have never seen any one. How can I speak well, tactfully, and to the point? It will seem better to you when I have told you everything openly.... I don't know how to be silent when my heart is speaking. Well, never mind.... Believe me, not one woman, never, never! No acquaintance of any sort! And I do nothing but dream every day that at last I shall meet some one. Oh, if only you knew how often I have been in love in that way...."

"How? With whom?..."

"Why, with no one, with an ideal, with the one I dream of in my sleep. I make up regular romances in my dreams. Ah, you don't know me! It's true, of course, I have met two or three women, but what sort of women were they? They were all landladies, that.... But I shall make you laugh if I tell you that I have several times thought of speaking, just simply speaking, to some aristocratic lady in the street, when she is alone, I need hardly say; speaking to her, of course, timidly, respectfully, passionately; telling her that I am perishing in solitude, begging her not to send me away; saying that I have no chance of making the acquaintance of any woman; impressing upon her that it is a positive duty for a woman not to repulse so timid a prayer from such a luckless man as me. That, in fact, all I ask is, that she should say two or three sisterly words with sympathy, should not repulse me at first sight; should take me on trust and listen to what I say; should laugh at me if she likes, encourage me, say two words to me, only two words, even though we never meet again afterwards!... But you are laughing; however, that is why I am telling you...."

-Fyodor Doestoevsky, White Nights.
>>
File: 1456116583955.jpg (72 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
1456116583955.jpg
72 KB, 960x960
White Nights is one of my favourite short stories, it's good to see others reading it
>>
>>28572722
I have recently started reading Doestoevsky's work. After reading House of the Dead, and finding out what White Nights is about, I had to read it.
>>
File: White Nights.png (204 KB, 1245x634) Image search: [Google]
White Nights.png
204 KB, 1245x634
This paragraph gave me many feels. I have never before read something which so well articulates my own feelings.
>>
>>28572742

If you want /r9k/-tier Dostoyevsky, read Notes from the Underground. It's literally the closest thing to an incarnation of all the /r9k/ represents, especially at the beginning of the book, where the Underground Man admits to being diseased of body and mind.
>>
>>28573502
My brother has that book, and I intend to borrow it.
>>
White Nights is probably the best short story ever written, at least for me.
>>
Pretty much all of Dostoevsky's books have a robot in them. Crime and Punishment and Notes from the Underground are some other examples.
>>
>>28573518

Can't recommend it enough, Anon, especially because it involves a the Underground Man developing a relationship with a roastie (literal prostitute) who he later verbally abuses to the point of her leaving him, which he thoroughly regrets afterwards.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.